Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #346
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
It seems so silly but I just do not want to go off to bed....early tomorrow morning is drop off ...my one and only....deep breaths.....................

how is it that I am happy yet so sad at the every same time.........
Aww, I was right here with you last week. It wasn't an easy day, but it was a good day, if that makes sense. I was glad for him, college life will really suit him, but life at home is not the same and won't be the same again.

Our babies have to grow up.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #347
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

So, DD's roommate moved in today. I have not talked to her.

I went out to eat with GFs (and we asked for separate checks, lol) and DH texted DD to see if she wanted to go eat. First the answer was no and then she changed her mind. So I get a voice mail from a giddy DH getting to take his daughter out for dinner. haha

He said she said the roommate seems really nice and so far, so good. Tomorrow orientation starts so I won't be hearing much from her for the next week, I know.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #348
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

So, taking my Sophmore back tomorrow. He's been packed and ready to go for a week. He loves college and friends there...very happy for him.

My freshman on the other hand is having a difficult time with the change from high school to college I think. He was top dog, big man on campus in HS, in charge of so much and leader at the school. He is now having a difficult time changing to college life. My son who was always on top of all his work has ignored the summer reading selection; his school stresses that that it will be discussed. Totally out of character. He hasn't packed much of anything even with my pressing and pressing. I asked him today how he felt about leaving for college and he said indifferent. He was supposed to sign up for a group event happening monday night. He finally got around to it today and it was past the deadline....ahhhh. He will learn but geez it's so hard to see him so out of sorts. We leave on Sunday to bring him to college.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:21 AM   #349
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post
So, taking my Sophmore back tomorrow. He's been packed and ready to go for a week. He loves college and friends there...very happy for him.

My freshman on the other hand is having a difficult time with the change from high school to college I think. He was top dog, big man on campus in HS, in charge of so much and leader at the school. He is now having a difficult time changing to college life. My son who was always on top of all his work has ignored the summer reading selection; his school stresses that that it will be discussed. Totally out of character. He hasn't packed much of anything even with my pressing and pressing. I asked him today how he felt about leaving for college and he said indifferent. He was supposed to sign up for a group event happening monday night. He finally got around to it today and it was past the deadline....ahhhh. He will learn but geez it's so hard to see him so out of sorts. We leave on Sunday to bring him to college.
Well, Mom, even though he is indifferent, I think that his actions say otherwise... I hope that he find his way, soon.

Move in day for mine was Monday in California. I stayed here in Texas due to a new job as a school librarian - school starts Monday here and I was hired about a week after all the librarians started, so, behind already. I haven't been able to really "miss" her yet, but I am sure that this weekend I will have a chance. We have done FaceTime a couple of times so I am thankful for technology.

It sounds like we are all adjusting.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #350
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurgswife View Post

It's bound to happen. My dd has/had friends in high school that were 'big dogs' as well...some of them were not so nice..typical mean girl material. But, it all changes in college. Those that are nice, and down to earth, but still student leaders will do just fine in college. They have a good basis and good heads on their shoulders...they will bring to college what they did in high school.
It's the 'mean girl' mentality that doesn't carry over well at all. College kids have little to no interest in that drama....kids find their own groups, and don't much care what other groups are doing/saying.
Your ds will be fine. He's nervous, and most likely scared. As someone said to me in the spring...they know what they're leaving, they have no idea what they're going to. It has to be scary!!!!!

I find that the kids don't text as much as usual. I think it may be that they don't want to come across as 'babies' to the other kids. They also want to make the split from home to college complete. And that's okay. I've told my dd that she doesn't need to 'check in' daily. But a nice 'hi there, all's well here' every so often would be vastly appreciated. We'll see how that works out!!!

So, the car is packed, dd is finally out of bed. We head to Bristol RI in 2 hrs!!! Excited but sad. Knew this day was coming, but man, it's hard to push them out of the nest!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #351
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

We're back...took longer than we thought. We had been told dd was compliant in regards to her immunizations, but turns out she wasn't. So, off to Health Services to go a HepB titre, then back to checkin. The bad thing??? Health Serv is right across the lot from her dorm!!! So, all the way back to check in, then to the car to move it over to the dorm area. But it was a machine of students moving the freshmen in. I lifted one bag...other than that, the entire contents of the car (and it was enormous!!) was taken to her room by upperclassmen...and the college president and his wife!!! That was very cool!!
Got her settled in her room, her roommate showed up 45 mins later. THey seem to be getting along, so far. It took us about 2 hrs. to get done what needed doing!! But, man, that kid sure did look happy!!!

And she had updated her FB page with her new town of residence. And photos of her desk and bed!!! So, it's all good. Except for dh..he's having some issues with his baby being in college. Better get him busy on other stuff....mowing the lawn, and washing cars, yardwork, household repairs!!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #352
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Just back from dropping Number 2 son off at school. whew 10 hour drive. tired and happy all at the same time.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #353
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Just back from dropping Number 2 son off at school. whew 10 hour drive. tired and happy all at the same time.
Boston? We are doing that one next week. Gotta love my younger daughter looking at ds's pile of stuff and says " he's doesn't have a lot does he?"

It's a living room full of stuff, wonder what she plans on bringing when she goes.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 PM   #354
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Boston? We are doing that one next week. Gotta love my younger daughter looking at ds's pile of stuff and says " he's doesn't have a lot does he?"

It's a living room full of stuff, wonder what she plans on bringing when she goes.
Opposite direction. Cincinnati Ohio. Univ of Cincinnati.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #355
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

My oldest son is safely at school. Very uneventful he is very happy to be back. He and his new roommate (hall RA) need to sort out some furniture placement; he currently can't get to his desk because of the frig/microwave placement. But he is happy and we won't see him until Thanksgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Your ds will be fine. He's nervous, and most likely scared. As someone said to me in the spring...they know what they're leaving, they have no idea what they're going to. It has to be scary!!!!!

I find that the kids don't text as much as usual. I think it may be that they don't want to come across as 'babies' to the other kids. They also want to make the split from home to college complete. And that's okay. I've told my dd that she doesn't need to 'check in' daily. But a nice 'hi there, all's well here' every so often would be vastly appreciated. We'll see how that works out!!!
Well my DS is doing ok but I definitely think the change is nerve wracking to him. Most of his pals are staying at home and going to school at our local religious college. So, they aren't going through the same changes. He emailed the counselors for his group to see if he could get into any of the groups but no answer yet. He then stated he would just head over to his sisters apartment (She lives in Chelsea not far away from Lincoln center). Not exactly what I want him to do. Hopefully that was just a response to let me know he wasn't going to stay in his room. I think once he gets there they will be able to sort out finding something for him to do.

Still not totally packed....we will get there by Saturday night when we pack. He's only in Manhattan which is about 1.5 - 2 hrs so anything major can be brought up later.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #356
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It seems so silly but I just do not want to go off to bed....early tomorrow morning is drop off ...my one and only....deep breaths.....................

I was the same last year. My DS was 2 hours away and did come home on occasional weekends. I'd go through it all over again taking him to the train station.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:53 PM   #357
MickeyManiac
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I know exactly how you feel. I dropped my one and only off a week ago. It's easily one of the hardest things I've ever done. My house feels so empty now that I don't want to be home. Poor DH has is trying to be so supportive but sometimes he gets the backlash.

The upside is that it has gotten easier as the week has gone on. I have faith that I'll get through this.

I did just decide to book a trip to Disney for fall break. Since I don't want to be home, I've been working more and I decided it was a great way to spend the extra money. I can't wait to have him and DH to myself for a few days.
MickeyManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #358
StephMK
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=goofy4tink;45927296]

QUOTE]

Congrats on completing the trip! I have definitely found what you said to be true. I don't hear much when she is busy & happy. If she's upset or needs something, then I have heard from her. That is ok because I know this is her journey and want her to enjoy her independence.

So is anyone at the point yet that they are finding things they enjoy now that several of the kids are in/back to school?

The kids' bathroom stayed a lot cleaner w/o all the makeup, hair products & long strands of hair from DD. And we have more leftovers now that there is one less grown person to feed.

However, I miss the light she brings and look forward to her visit this weekend!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 AM   #359
LisaR

[QUOTE=StephMK;45937324]
Quote:

So is anyone at the point yet that they are finding things they enjoy now that several of the kids are in/back to school?

The kids' bathroom stayed a lot cleaner w/o all the makeup, hair products & long strands of hair from DD. And we have more leftovers now that there is one less grown person to feed.

However, I miss the light she brings and look forward to her visit this weekend!
I can't even put into words how much I will miss my DD when she goes away next year but I will NOT miss her long strands of hair everywhere. And my DS seems to bear the wrath of her long hairs because they seek out his socks in the dryer and wrap around them. I don't know how they distinguish his socks from the others but they do. None of us will miss her hair strands!

Edit:
Sorry about the quote job. I don't know why it didn't quote correctly.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #360
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

[QUOTE=StephMK;45937324]
Quote:

QUOTE]

Congrats on completing the trip! I have definitely found what you said to be true. I don't hear much when she is busy & happy. If she's upset or needs something, then I have heard from her. That is ok because I know this is her journey and want her to enjoy her independence.

It's been a busy 2 weeks. DH has had a lot on his plate so managing the other 3 kids schedules has fallen on me. DH just told me he's out of town on Monday and Tuesday--so another busy week. Not time yet for me to find something to do for myself.

I noticed that about the kid's bathroom and DSs bedroom and the house in general. LOL We now know who the messy one is.

Yes, I haven't cooked a lot this week--we've had a couple of leftover nights.

I just had a long chat with DS via facebook about his week.

He's decided he loves Biology and Psychology classes but doesn't like the Economics class. So he thinks he may look into a major of microbiology and a minor in psychology and then move on to neuroscience. Told him to take time and make sure that's what he wants to do before he declares his major and minor. But those sound promising to me.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: