Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #331
SideshowBob
Oil Can aficionado
Screams like a little girl
Doesn't like things that go "bump" in the night
Is a SUPERSTAR!HOT as Heckuba here right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Mike and his cousin Britannie LOVE their new school. I can't get either of them to stop talking about it.

So much stuff but both of them are so happy with their experiences so far.
That is GREAT Robin!

"The Enemy's Gate is Down!"
SideshowBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #332
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Do you posters with girls who are calling every night know how lucky you are? Friends tell me that girls do this. I have three sons -- I wouldn't know.
My DS has texted me everyday, but it's pretty random odd stuff. "I forgot my electric razor charger cord." "I don't like my psych teacher." "When's my sister get her cast?" (since he broke her wrist before he left) I'll respond back and then get nothing back until the next day
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #333
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEVILdrPorkchop2u View Post
Well we just found out yesterday that DS was accepted to college for fall 2013! He doesn't know yet and we will be surprising him later this morning. We are decorating our dining room and making pancakes in the school's first letter. This is DS's top choice and we couldn't be happier for him. Especially the fact that it is so soon. I can't believe that in less than a year we will be dealing with what all of you are. My heart goes out to you all!
Congrats to your son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
DD's first class is this morning- 8am. I hope she got up on time.
I know that feeling...I've been worried about if DS will get himself up and moving on time, but so far so good. Classes start on Monday and his first class is at 9:00 so I think he'll make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakey View Post
I move my DD into her freshman dorm tomorrow morning.

I'm so for her but I can't even put to words how much she will be missed around the house.

She isn't far from home so that is the only thing that is allowing me to keep it together
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1tinkfans View Post
tomorrow is too soon for me, its move in day for my ds

Excited and Sad ...where did the time go...
Hang in there! And take kleenex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Mike was finally able to get into the theatre class he really wanted, it's been closed since he was accepted. He found an opening online and JUMPED on it. It's being taught by a local actress he really likes and he wanted her class BAD.

Well, first day some poor kid walks in and announces it's his LAST DAY because SOMEONE (he thinks his DAD ) went into his system and dropped him from the class. He tried to get reinstated but SOMEONE ( my son) grabbed the spot already. The teacher apologized but there was nothing she could do.

I remember my Mom NOT wanting me to major in theatre and I had to take classes without her knowledge. I guess if she had access to my courses I never would've been able to get my BFA, either!!

Really rude of the Dad if he DID do it, he could've at least discussed it with his son before doing something so abrupt. I couldn't imagine doing that to my kid.

My little niece (I've stopped her at toddler because she's my sweet baby) just told me last night that she hasn't bought any books because they're "too expensive." Her mom told me she got the Pell Grant and I thought they gave a book allowance. I told her to check with her account. I can't believe she hasn't bought a book yet! Mike has already bought almost $700 in books in just the first two days!

So much stuff but both of them are so happy with their experiences so far.
Congrats to your son in getting the class he wanted. I can't believe that dad cancelled his kid out of the class! I know at my DS's school, they really stress that it's up to the kids what classes they take, etc. They even pointed out that we won't have access to their grades. I did suggest one class for my son and I'm glad he followed my suggestion (he's taking Japanese!) but if he chose not to, it wouldn't have been a problem.

DS went and bought his books this morning -he just registered yesterday. I'm curious (or is that scared?) to see how much they cost.

We've been texting back and forth a bit this week. It usually starts with him asking where something is and goes from there. I'm trying not to text too much. We've already set up a weekly Skype time...just waiting for my new webcam to come.

Last edited by wowsmom; 08-23-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added more info
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #334
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

The dad who cancelled the class needs his head examined. My son's passion is theatre. He is not only taking the drama class for majors that is the prerequisite for all others, he also managed to get into a non-major humanities class on play analysis.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #335
LisaR

I have a question. I've noticed a few of you have mentioned that your son or daughter just registered for classes and starts a few days later. Is this the norm?

My DD is dual enrolled and she registers months in advance (as does anyone going to this CC). It gives me tons of time to find good deals on books. Her books this semester would have cost $600 from the bookstore and I got them all for $120. If she registered today and started tomorrow, there wouldn't be anytime to shop around.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #336
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD couldn't register until orientation. They had several orientations for freshman scheduled throughout the summer but she ended up in one of the last ones trying to work out her and her friends schedule. But the schedule they gave her that day was completely thrown out several weeks later when they realized her AP classes had been accepted.

We bought a couple of books online before had and she bought a couple once at the school because she wasn't sure if she needed the workbook too.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #337
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I have a question. I've noticed a few of you have mentioned that your son or daughter just registered for classes and starts a few days later. Is this the norm?

My DD is dual enrolled and she registers months in advance (as does anyone going to this CC). It gives me tons of time to find good deals on books. Her books this semester would have cost $600 from the bookstore and I got them all for $120. If she registered today and started tomorrow, there wouldn't be anytime to shop around.
DS made his schedule at the orientation in April. He mentioned some tweaking of schedules and looking into clepping a couple of classes this week.

He ordered his books through the school bookstore over the summer because he wasn't sure how it would work with his scholarship that covers books. But now he knows that he can purchase his books elsewhere and will get a refund from the school of the amount he doesn't use from his scholarship each semester.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #338
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

DS picked his classes at orientation in June, and then we came back and ordered as many of his books from Amazon, Chegg etc as we could, then he ordered the ones we couldn't find from the school bookstore so he could pick them up after he moved in.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #339
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

DD has known for 2 months what classes she has & what books were needed so she had time to shop around.

However, a client told me yesterday that her DD is a sophomore at MTSU and she was told by other students to wait until day 1 of class because sometimes the professor will say you do not need the book. Saved them lots of $$.
I somehow doubt my kid will show up w/o a book when it will be required or not, lol.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #340
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

My DS registered for classes at orientation in June. At his school, a certain number of spots in the most popular classes is released at each orientation registration to make it fair for the kids who do it in August. We did the freshman bookstore bundle, which means we probably paid too much, although we did specify "used." Professors changing books at the last minute is not a problem b/c books are returnable for the first, I think, 10 days of class.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #341
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

DS's school does about a week long orientation for the incoming freshman, with lots of activities on-campus as well as off-campus (a camping trip and other possibilities like canoeing and hiking). The class is split into 2 groups. DS's group was on-campus for the first few days. He met with his advisor Tuesday, then registered Wednesday. Now he's off on the camping trip. The other group just got back late last night and has the next few days to meet with advisors, audition for music groups, register, etc. It's pretty interesting!
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #342
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
We've already had to mail a care package to DS. It's sad he's only been gone a week He was requesting a Brita pitcher he could keep in his fridge because the dorm water fountain water is nasty and he didn't want to waste all his meal credits on bottled water. Since I was mailing a pitcher, we filled the box with snacks and sent it Monday.

What's really funny is that this week he will get a Welcome Package from the college from us. They sent out a mailing a month ago where you could buy different care packages that the school puts together and delivers to students as a fundraiser for some different clubs. We ordered 4 of them (welcome one from parents, fall finals one from DS16, Valentines one from DD10 and Halloween one from DS7)
Sounds like us!! But dd didn't want the big pitcher so we got her the Brita water bottle with filter. IF she needs more water than that, we can get her the pitcher.
Just sent in the order forms and check for the various 'special gifts from home'. My dd is really picky about what she likes, but I figure that she can give the stuff away she doesn't want...it's always nice to get something special, especially with a note from Mom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEVILdrPorkchop2u View Post
Well we just found out yesterday that DS was accepted to college for fall 2013! He doesn't know yet and we will be surprising him later this morning. We are decorating our dining room and making pancakes in the school's first letter. This is DS's top choice and we couldn't be happier for him. Especially the fact that it is so soon. I can't believe that in less than a year we will be dealing with what all of you are. My heart goes out to you all!
Wow.....we had to wait until dd got the acceptances in the mail. She always knew before we did. Lucky you!!! Congrats to your son..this year is going to fly by!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post

My dd had her courses pretty much set before Orientation in June. When she got to Orientation, they could tweak the schedule or change classes. But hers were fine. So, we were able to get all her books as cheaply as possible well in advance.

She goes to school tomorrow. I'm sure there will be tears tomorrow afternoon at my house!!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #343
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Well, my DD is having the time of her life. Or, at least, she was the last time I talked to her. I never hear from her at all. If I text her, she either doesn't answer or takes a long time to respond and it's usually a "yes" or "no" response.

Yes, I'm heartbroken because we used to be pretty close and I miss her so much. She used to text me every morning when she got up (I was already at work) and then she'd call me when she got out of school, when I was on my way home from work, when she was on her way to work, as soon as she got out of work, etc.

And now it's as if she has disappeared from my life.

I know, I know. It's only the second week of school and she's just enjoying life and freedom and all that. Been there, done that. But the last time I did get more than a one work text was when I asked, "so, when will you be home?" Answer: "Not sure. Probably won't be anytime soon."

We're 7 miles away.

I think the dogs are finally adjusting to not having her around. They still don't seem as happy as they used to be when she was here, but they've quit jumping up every time they think they hear the garage door.

I just miss her a lot.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #344
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

It seems so silly but I just do not want to go off to bed....early tomorrow morning is drop off ...my one and only....deep breaths.....................

how is it that I am happy yet so sad at the every same time.........
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #345
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
Well, my DD is having the time of her life. Or, at least, she was the last time I talked to her. I never hear from her at all. If I text her, she either doesn't answer or takes a long time to respond and it's usually a "yes" or "no" response.

Yes, I'm heartbroken because we used to be pretty close and I miss her so much. She used to text me every morning when she got up (I was already at work) and then she'd call me when she got out of school, when I was on my way home from work, when she was on her way to work, as soon as she got out of work, etc.

And now it's as if she has disappeared from my life.

I know, I know. It's only the second week of school and she's just enjoying life and freedom and all that. Been there, done that. But the last time I did get more than a one work text was when I asked, "so, when will you be home?" Answer: "Not sure. Probably won't be anytime soon."

We're 7 miles away.

I think the dogs are finally adjusting to not having her around. They still don't seem as happy as they used to be when she was here, but they've quit jumping up every time they think they hear the garage door.

I just miss her a lot.
I am not hearing much from DS either.

He sent me a text an hour ago (of course it was when I put my phone down for the first time today--arghh!) that he thinks he's ready to declare a major and a minor. And now he's not answering his phone or texting me back.

I am not really grieving for him, just wonder what's going on and how he liked his first classes. What made him decide already to declare a major and why this one, etc.
Southernmiss is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: