Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #316
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

Well we just found out yesterday that DS was accepted to college for fall 2013! He doesn't know yet and we will be surprising him later this morning. We are decorating our dining room and making pancakes in the school's first letter. This is DS's top choice and we couldn't be happier for him. Especially the fact that it is so soon. I can't believe that in less than a year we will be dealing with what all of you are. My heart goes out to you all!
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #317
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
I didn't order thevwelcome package thing. Now I'm rethinking. He is particular in likes. I as going to send my own little special stuff, but now I'm wondering if the other roomies are all going to get them on the same day maybe I should..... Decision decisions.
I wouldn't sweat it. Those welcome packages and the one with the linens are not really from the school. It's a company that does mass mailings to all incoming students to many many schools. The company is actually a client of my DH's. If it is the letter we got last year, they claim so many people do these welcome baskets and they are looking for 100% participation this year. We opted to not do it and DS said really nobody in his dorm got them. What many kids say is that they prefer homemade care packages from home. They are thrilled to get anything. We always sent things so he could share, too. In the fall last year I made pumpkin bread and sent it...he loved it.

Also, in the age of texting, e-mailing, face time...my DS also appreciated to get mail...a snail mail card once in awhile.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #318
Patience
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post

Hug your little one tight. Your big sister is your sistermom/bestfriend/hero all rolled into one. Hugs for her, I know she has a empty spot for her big sis.
Yes, this is it exactly! We didn't plan to have such a big age gap between our kids but it has turned out to be such a great thing! These two adore each other and the relationship isjust like you said- part sister, part mom, part hero. My oldest is so tender with her baby sis, it makes me teary.

My daughter is coming home tomorrow! It wasn't a planned visit but my husband has to have knee surgery and we found out Monday that it is scheduled for tomorrow. My daughter wants to be here for her daddy.

I am so blessed!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #319
KAMLEM
DIS Veteran
Likes her little penguin.
Tried to pay for lunch with WHAT?
Always remember - sticky side DOWN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
DD's roommate moves in tomorrow! After 2 weeks with the dorm room to herself, this should be interesting!!
So far, she is loving pre-season but I have never seen her so worn out! One night at 7:40 she said, "I'm showering and going to bed!" Usually she makes it to 9 or so! lol (there, at home it is between 11 and 1-ish!) Of course, she's also up seeing the sunrise every morning. I'm seeing lots of sunrise pics on FB!
Sounds like my DD. She moved in early for preseason and I think she's enjoying having the room to herself. She has been calling every night around 8 after showering and she's completely wiped out. After 6 hours of training each day plus additional things like yoga classes and hikes she's exhausted. Her roomates move in today so hopefully that goes well!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #320
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Yes, this is it exactly! We didn't plan to have such a big age gap between our kids but it has turned out to be such a great thing! These two adore each other and the relationship isjust like you said- part sister, part mom, part hero. My oldest is so tender with her baby sis, it makes me teary.

My daughter is coming home tomorrow! It wasn't a planned visit but my husband has to have knee surgery and we found out Monday that it is scheduled for tomorrow. My daughter wants to be here for her daddy.

I am so blessed!
There was only 5 years between my sister and I. My oldest sister is 8 yrs. older than me. We were not close at all. But the middle sister...there are no words. I adore her still! And my relationship with my older sister has improved over time. She's been through a nasty divorce these past 3 years and, sadly, it took that to bring us closer.

Good luck with his knee surgery. My DH will be having shoulder surgery on the 5th of Sept! DD will want to observe the surgery and, of course, will not be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMLEM View Post
Sounds like my DD. She moved in early for preseason and I think she's enjoying having the room to herself. She has been calling every night around 8 after showering and she's completely wiped out. After 6 hours of training each day plus additional things like yoga classes and hikes she's exhausted. Her roomates move in today so hopefully that goes well!
Sounds familiar! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

DD's roommate is bringing a lot of "stuff" (TV, fridge, soda machine, Keurig, etc.) I have no idea where all this is going to go! The room is so small. It'll be interesting.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #321
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD's first class is this morning- 8am. I hope she got up on time.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #322
Snowflakey
Mouseketeer

I move my DD into her freshman dorm tomorrow morning.

I'm so for her but I can't even put to words how much she will be missed around the house.

She isn't far from home so that is the only thing that is allowing me to keep it together
Snowflakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #323
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

tomorrow is too soon for me, its move in day for my ds

Excited and Sad ...where did the time go...
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #324
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
I didn't order thevwelcome package thing. Now I'm rethinking. He is particular in likes. I as going to send my own little special stuff, but now I'm wondering if the other roomies are all going to get them on the same day maybe I should..... Decision decisions.
We've never bought them, and I would be surprised if the roommates are all getting them. I prefer to send stuff my son will actually appreciate. My oldest got a care package from the church youth group and half of it was stuff he had no interest in. I was thinking about sending along the things he forgot to take with a few surprises.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #325
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

Do you posters with girls who are calling every night know how lucky you are? Friends tell me that girls do this. I have three sons -- I wouldn't know. I'm really thankful for Facebook b/c I can have a little communication. I got a text about $. His dad is hearing from him b/c they were playing each other in their fantasy baseball league.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #326
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Mike and his cousin Britannie LOVE their new school. I can't get either of them to stop talking about it.

Mike was finally able to get into the theatre class he really wanted, it's been closed since he was accepted. He found an opening online and JUMPED on it. It's being taught by a local actress he really likes and he wanted her class BAD.

Well, first day some poor kid walks in and announces it's his LAST DAY because SOMEONE (he thinks his DAD ) went into his system and dropped him from the class. He tried to get reinstated but SOMEONE ( my son) grabbed the spot already. The teacher apologized but there was nothing she could do.

I remember my Mom NOT wanting me to major in theatre and I had to take classes without her knowledge. I guess if she had access to my courses I never would've been able to get my BFA, either!!

Really rude of the Dad if he DID do it, he could've at least discussed it with his son before doing something so abrupt. I couldn't imagine doing that to my kid.

My little niece (I've stopped her at toddler because she's my sweet baby) just told me last night that she hasn't bought any books because they're "too expensive." Her mom told me she got the Pell Grant and I thought they gave a book allowance. I told her to check with her account. I can't believe she hasn't bought a book yet! Mike has already bought almost $700 in books in just the first two days!

So much stuff but both of them are so happy with their experiences so far.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #327
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD texted me a few minutes ago and she got out of her second classes today at 10:30 and is done for the day. She is loving college so far.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #328
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel View Post
Do you posters with girls who are calling every night know how lucky you are? Friends tell me that girls do this. I have three sons -- I wouldn't know. I'm really thankful for Facebook b/c I can have a little communication. I got a text about $. His dad is hearing from him b/c they were playing each other in their fantasy baseball league.
One of DD's BFF is a guy. They will drive an hour to Disney or Universal and spend the entire day there. His mom will text me on occasion to see if I've heard from them since he would never think to text his mom and let her know that they made it there alive. My Dd will send pictures of them on a ride or text about the 6th consecutive time they went on Space Mountain. The boy? Nothing! My son is the same way. He doesn't venture too far from home so it isn't a big issue. When I do text him for an update, I get a one word response usually. Boys!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #329
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
One of DD's BFF is a guy. They will drive an hour to Disney or Universal and spend the entire day there. His mom will text me on occasion to see if I've heard from them since he would never think to text his mom and let her know that they made it there alive. My Dd will send pictures of them on a ride or text about the 6th consecutive time they went on Space Mountain. The boy? Nothing! My son is the same way. He doesn't venture too far from home so it isn't a big issue. When I do text him for an update, I get a one word response usually. Boys!
I wish my son was like that. He texts or calls me after each class. I think it's because it's the first week, hopefully it'll stop. I've never seen him so into anything in his life!!

My niece is a one word type, she's very shy and quiet. I'm glad to see she's made friends, though, I was worried about that.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #330
BrerMom

My hero, zero

DD (4th year) left last Thursday. DS (1st year) left last Friday. They both seem happy when we talk to them, especially DS.

DS13 has been a little clingy.

Everybody's got the right to be different even though at times they go to extremes.
Aim for what you want a lot - Everybody gets a shot. Everybody's got a right to their dreams...

Everybody's got the right to some sunshine Not the sun but maybe one of its beams. One of its beams.
Rich man, poor man, black or white, pick your apple, take a bite,
Everybody just hold tight to your dreams. Everybody's got the right to their dreams...
BrerMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: