Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #301
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
My 5 year old is really missing her big sister. Her Kindergarten teacher told me she talks about her sister all the time. During art class last week, the Kindergartners had to draw a picture of something that makes them happy. My girl drew a picture of herself holding hands with her big sister. Sniff, sniff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
Oh this GOT me!!! I was older when my sister moved to college but I remember the heartbreak. Now, she is 55 (very soon) and still has never come home from leaving for college when she was almost 18. I STILL miss her. That part of life is NOT fair.

Hug your little one tight. Your big sister is your sistermom/bestfriend/hero all rolled into one. Hugs for her, I know she has a empty spot for her big sis.

Glad all the move ins are going so well!! It is exciting to read about them!

And...my little baby squirrel is still fighting for his life! (I only thought I had an empty nest!)

My oldest sister is 13 years older than me and I swore she had angel wings folded under her clothing . I adored, admired and just CHERISHED her. She got married at 22 and LEFT ME... .. I still remember it and her oldest son is now 47!!!

Last week we put her granddaughter in college. She is still the most precious thing in my world, especially since I lost my Mom. I speak to her every day even though we live a state away. Those kind of relationships sustain us.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #302
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Son still out and about with the remaining friends. They are all liked GLUE to each other. Never leaving sides. Today they are heading to the beach.

But last night was a tear jerker moment for me. He was out all day and got home late- with a present for me. It's a metal I Love Lucy poster.
*story- when I was a baby my first ever laugh was watching I Love Lucy with my grandma- it wasn't the show it was me laughing whenever she laughed. It's a special memory for me) He got it to remind me to keep laughing when he's gone.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #303
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We've already had to mail a care package to DS. It's sad he's only been gone a week He was requesting a Brita pitcher he could keep in his fridge because the dorm water fountain water is nasty and he didn't want to waste all his meal credits on bottled water. Since I was mailing a pitcher, we filled the box with snacks and sent it Monday.

What's really funny is that this week he will get a Welcome Package from the college from us. They sent out a mailing a month ago where you could buy different care packages that the school puts together and delivers to students as a fundraiser for some different clubs. We ordered 4 of them (welcome one from parents, fall finals one from DS16, Valentines one from DD10 and Halloween one from DS7)
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #304
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Awww, if I had seen you, I would have totally started too! I did ok since it was a quick goodbye in the parking lot without others around and mostly a happy day. It would have been soooo hard to leave her room & walk out alone, that is emotional!!
Thanks!

I had seen another set of parents saying goodbye earlier (before we all went to dinner) and that was hard to watch!

I've been texting with DS a bit here and there and he seems happy. He's done laundry, he's been enjoying the orientation stuff, he's been sleeping pretty well.

Today, he had his auditions for music (wind ensemble and jazz) and he said they went really well.

He'll register this afternoon and classes start Monday.

I won't be able to text him the next few days because part of orientation includes going out camping for a few days and they say no cell phones. He's never been camping in his life - not even in a campground - so I'll be curious to hear how it went!
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #305
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
We've already had to mail a care package to DS. It's sad he's only been gone a week He was requesting a Brita pitcher he could keep in his fridge because the dorm water fountain water is nasty and he didn't want to waste all his meal credits on bottled water. Since I was mailing a pitcher, we filled the box with snacks and sent it Monday.

What's really funny is that this week he will get a Welcome Package from the college from us. They sent out a mailing a month ago where you could buy different care packages that the school puts together and delivers to students as a fundraiser for some different clubs. We ordered 4 of them (welcome one from parents, fall finals one from DS16, Valentines one from DD10 and Halloween one from DS7)
We are in Indiana too.

DD's school offered the Welcome Package too. Did you get a free pizza card with it? We took a Britta Pitcher down too and the girls love it. They have a sign up sheet up so they can take turns getting the new filters when needed.

She seems to be enjoying college life..

Secrets still a go...but they keep taking my computer...
PrincessNancy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #306
wowsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Son still out and about with the remaining friends. They are all liked GLUE to each other. Never leaving sides. Today they are heading to the beach.

But last night was a tear jerker moment for me. He was out all day and got home late- with a present for me. It's a metal I Love Lucy poster.
*story- when I was a baby my first ever laugh was watching I Love Lucy with my grandma- it wasn't the show it was me laughing whenever she laughed. It's a special memory for me) He got it to remind me to keep laughing when he's gone.
Aaawww, this made me tear up...how sweet!!!!

Quote:
Yup, I mailed a package on Monday as well. He couldn't find his iPod before he left. I found it and took it on the plane with me but forgot to give it to him so had to ship it, so threw in some Trader Joe's cookies.

We're lucky that his dorm water seems to be okay - we got a rubbermaid pitcher to go in his fridge. Also, his dining hall doesn't charge for cups of ice water, so that's helpful.
wowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #307
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

Started my youngest as a freshman this week, giving us all 3 in college at once!!! talk about empty nesters! having dropped the other two off we knew what to expect but the house is really quiet... kinda nice.

Drew in Ga

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #308
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessNancy96 View Post
We are in Indiana too.

DD's school offered the Welcome Package too. Did you get a free pizza card with it? We took a Britta Pitcher down too and the girls love it. They have a sign up sheet up so they can take turns getting the new filters when needed.

She seems to be enjoying college life..
Sounds like our kids are at the same school
Old 08-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #309
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Sounds like our kids are at the same school
How funny.

Secrets still a go...but they keep taking my computer...

Last edited by PrincessNancy96; 08-22-2012 at 08:24 PM.
PrincessNancy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #310
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

DS had his first class today from 9 to 9:50--his only class on Wednesdays. He posted on facebook "Already done with class today, college is awesome."

DH took DS a box of a few things DS forgot on Monday and took DS to lunch. DH works in the city where his college is an hour from our home. I didn't get home from work that night until 10 p.m. and wanted to know how he was doing, but DH was done talking for the day and wouldn't tell me more than 2 sentences. (He apologized the next a.m. for not talking to me.)

DS called my cell phone yesterday after not wanting to facebook chat with me--I was asking too many questions on facebook. So we chatted for a few minutes--he's loving college life. Orientation was Sat to Tuesday. He said it was a blast and seemed like he was just away at camp. It would sink in that he's at college when he actually went to class today. He had a list of things he needed to take care of at the college today regarding classes and meeting professors, etc.

I'll lay low for a while now and let him settle in and wait for him to call me.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #311
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

We've gotten solicitations for those welcome/exam/etc. gift packages at four different schools, so the two posters above may or may not have kids at the same school.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #312
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I didn't order thevwelcome package thing. Now I'm rethinking. He is particular in likes. I as going to send my own little special stuff, but now I'm wondering if the other roomies are all going to get them on the same day maybe I should..... Decision decisions.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #313
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

DD's roommate moves in tomorrow! After 2 weeks with the dorm room to herself, this should be interesting!!
So far, she is loving pre-season but I have never seen her so worn out! One night at 7:40 she said, "I'm showering and going to bed!" Usually she makes it to 9 or so! lol (there, at home it is between 11 and 1-ish!) Of course, she's also up seeing the sunrise every morning. I'm seeing lots of sunrise pics on FB!

Java, your son's gift tore me up! How sweet.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #314
mom23boys
DIS Veteran

We dropped our oldest one off yesterday. It was so hard to leave and of course I cried when leaving but so far so good. They have orientation till Sunday and then classes start on Monday. They have planned actvities for the freshman for the next 5 days.

Says he is hanging out with his roommate and the kids on his floor. Playing basketball and volleyball. So he is loving it.

Wish he wasn't so far (about 5 hours), but its a great school and he is happy.
2005 - BCV; Jan 2006 - FW Cabins; Sept 2006 - CR - 15th Anniversary Trip with DH ; August 2007 - Poly; July 2009 - Beach Club - family of the day upon check-in and upgraded to club level. YEAH February 2010 - Kadani Villas - Animal Kingdom; 2013 Caribbean Beach - DS play baseball at WWS and won the tournament

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me : DH DS DS DS
mom23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #315
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

DD18 has been at school for a week and a half - her school has a three week freshman orientation. She's having a ball - her school does this long orientation in August before the upperclassmen come in, and she is taking a seminar class which will be 3 credit hours. She registers tomorrow for her other first semester classes.

Looks like she will get another new experience soon - evacuating from a hurricane!! I made precautionary reservations at WDW so she can have a safe, fairly close by hotel far enough inland to be safe.

Guess this is a fact of life for Florida students - I didn't worry about this when my older daughter went to college in South Carolina!!
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: