Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #271
suzannen
Have too many rules for my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I've read this several times over the last few days on this thread and every time it makes me tear up. What a sweet young woman you've raised.
Thank you. So, yesterday the two of us were watching the Food Network when what comes on but the cake challenge show featuring cakes inspired by Toy Story 3. We started talking about all of her favorite stuffed animals, toys and dolls. After promising that I would not banish her toys to the basement or attic, I asked her if she wanted to take one with her and, if so, which one. She said she wanted to think about it.

This morning she comes in and asks me if we could go to the Disney Store in Times Square next week when we’re going to see “Peter and the Starcatcher” on Broadway. I said, “sure, what do you want to buy?” She says that she’s decided she wants to buy a stuffed baby Dumbo to take to college because that was the first movie she ever saw, we’ve watched it SO many times over the years, and it was her first connection to Disney. Of course, the ONLY think that popped into my head was Dumbo's mother rocking him in “Baby Mine” and I started to cry again.

This is going to be a long week and a half!!

How is everyone else holding up who has just done the drop off?
suzannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #272
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
T- 8 days and counting.

Unless you know, I kill him first.
LOL, just think, that might help you miss him a little less! So will he make it to move in day or did you save a lot of tuition by killing him instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
DS moved in Tuesday morning.

He's probably texted 100 times since I left that afternoon I'm so glad to have that quick way to communicate. He said today he walked campus with his schedule to find his classes and walked to Village Pantry to buy Advil. I know I bought and packed some but it disappeared!

He's also texted his sister a few times since he broke her arm the night before he left.
Aw, I'm so jealous, DD was barely in touch the first few days! Glad he is getting used to campus. How are you doing with him being gone? Aw, your poor DD, is it hurting less now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannen View Post
Thank you. So, yesterday the two of us were watching the Food Network when what comes on but the cake challenge show featuring cakes inspired by Toy Story 3. We started talking about all of her favorite stuffed animals, toys and dolls. After promising that I would not banish her toys to the basement or attic, I asked her if she wanted to take one with her and, if so, which one. She said she wanted to think about it.

This morning she comes in and asks me if we could go to the Disney Store in Times Square next week when we’re going to see “Peter and the Starcatcher” on Broadway. I said, “sure, what do you want to buy?” She says that she’s decided she wants to buy a stuffed baby Dumbo to take to college because that was the first movie she ever saw, we’ve watched it SO many times over the years, and it was her first connection to Disney. Of course, the ONLY think that popped into my head was Dumbo's mother rocking him in “Baby Mine” and I started to cry again.

This is going to be a long week and a half!!

How is everyone else holding up who has just done the drop off?

OMG, I would have been crying too! That's so sweet, she sounds like a great girl.

Well, the day after I dropped her off was the hardest. I just missed knowing she wasn't around and we really hadn't heard from her at all. She was gone so much senior year (out & about w/friends) so I am used to her not being home, just harder not knowing how she is.

I had a feeling she was happy because her few short texts had good comments w/exclamation points. I figured I'd hear from her when it was bad news. Well, yesterday, she called, bawling. That was so incredibly hard. She is rushing and did not get an invite to a couple she felt really good about. She is pretty shy at first & not assertive so social things are not easy. She's very social & loves going out doing stuff but until people know her, it's tough.

Plus her roomies all know so many girls there already, she feels a little awkward with them. She did say she was meeting a lot of people so I hope she finds her way soon. She sounds fine but I know it's a tough transition after having such a close groups of friends in HS. I think once she finds something to belong to, she'll be good. She was in show choir in HS and that was such a tight knit bunch of friends.

I'm dying to shovel out the rest of her room (her idea of cleaning & mine are apparently different) and paint but I feel like I need to wait til she comes home to visit at least once first.

How is everyone else doing w/the kids gone?

Last edited by StephMK; 08-17-2012 at 03:41 PM.
StephMK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #273
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD leaves Sunday. She has brought everything down to the dining room to make it easier load. She printed out pictures for some of her frames- on our cruise last summer I took a matte for a frame that holds 3 pictures and had the characters sign it. That's the one she wants to take. The first picture she put in it was of the 3 of us. She won't admit it but I think she is really going to miss us (and we'll miss her too ). She has been deep cleaning her room and bathroom this week. She has a pile of stuff from her room for our church's annual yard sale next weekend.

I think its going to be easier for her and us since we'll see her every 2 weeks for the first 2 months. That's just how everything has worked out.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #274
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

We moved my great niece in yesterday. She's moving into the same school my son is going to and she is THRILLED about it, him...not so much.

I sat outside in the parking lot trying to find what room she was in and got an earful and eyeful of some of the funniest things on "Move In Day"

One man on the phone hollering about financial aid

Two women coming out crying like they left a funeral instead of their kid at college.

A man carrying out the box of a 40" TV (the rooms are TINY, where did it go?)

A boy rolling in about 100 rolls of toilet paper a la Sams Club.

Several girls dressed like they were going to a club instead of a dorm

Multi generations moving in one kid (including US)

Happy kids and sad parents , Sad kids and Happy parents...

It was better than a sitcom!!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #275
JBurke
WL VET

Dropped by DD off yesterday.
I kept it together well until the parting goodbyes.

Traffic was horrible, so it took 45 longers to get there (and home). Ten minutes away from the school it decided to DOWNPOUR. Could barely see the car ahead of us. Once we got to college, we had to wait in line of hundreds of other cars for an hour to get to the unloading area. Guess that was okay since it gave the rain a chance to go away.

They supposedly had kids acting as "Curb Birds" to help unload the car, but no one was around to help us. The ones I were able to grab had the answers to none of my questions. It made things quite unnecessarily hectic for us and many other parents. No one knew what to do or where to do.
Finally figured it out though.

Once we got in her room, the floor was wet. We figured it was from our wet feet or boxes from the rain, but after wiping the floor down several times with papertowel we noticed it kept being wet. My DH discovered the floor air conditioner unit was leaking and had been leaking for some time because most of the floor tiles were peeling off the ground and everytime we stepped on one it was releasing water. Took a while to get a hold of maintenance, but they fixed the air conditioner and promised to have someone fix the floor soon (they better!). In the meantime we placed some cardboard on the floor so my daughter wouldnt hurt her feet on the buckled floor.

They were going to have a floor meeting at 6:30 and then her roommate asked he to go explore the campus after that, so we thought it was best to leave then. That is when I lost it. I didnt want to stop hugging her goodbye. Pretty much cried the first hour of our 2.5 hour trip home.

The school has activities and meetings planned the rest of the weekend. I have to find a way to get myself to stop worrying though. I keep thinking "has she made some friends", "does she have someone to eat breakfast with"...
She is kind of shy and I worry about her not finding a good group of friends.
Guess a mom's worries are never over.

WL 10/96
WL 10/01
WL 08/03
POR 07/10

JBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #276
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

DD is coming home tonight!! She'll get in late after work and leave early in the morning but I will take every second I can get!! I made a trip to Trader Joe's for all the stuff she loves. Those frozen Caribbean Fruit Floes won't fit in her dorm freezer so I'm trying to tempt her to visit home more often. . Three hours and she's home!
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #277
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Aw, I'm so jealous, DD was barely in touch the first few days! Glad he is getting used to campus. How are you doing with him being gone? Aw, your poor DD, is it hurting less now?
I think my DS will be the opposite of your DD. Once he gets settled in and classes start, we probably won't hear from him as much. He's not a big "social gathering" type person so he's not going to a bunch of the Welcome Week things, so he has a lot of time on his hands right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I sat outside in the parking lot trying to find what room she was in and got an earful and eyeful of some of the funniest things on "Move In Day"
That was one of my favorite parts of moving in DS. People watching! I stayed in his room, his girlfriend "babysat" his pile of stuff outside the dorm and DS and his dad carried stuff up, so I had time to watch out his window in between unpacking boxes.

So many parents sobbing. Not some tears, but shoulder heaving sobs.

Huge amounts of furniture, even bigger TVs (DS has a huge TV but only brought it because he's in a single and his room is pretty large)

Parents losing their patience because of traffic and their kids stopping to talk to others and not helping. I saw so many fathers yelling at their kids.

It started sprinkling and everyone was scattering, running to get appliances under something, and then it stopped just as fast as it started.

One mom carrying in 3 HUGE cases of Ruffles potato chips.

One girl carrying in this pile of clothes on hangers that had to weigh 100 lbs. It was probably more clothes than I own. Her dad was behind her, carrying a pile just as big.

There was a girl in the dorm next to DS's that was carrying moving boxes wearing 4" heels and a mini skirt 10 sizes too small, hair perfectly done and tons of makeup on. All the girls walking past her, wearing their shorts and tshirts and hair in ponytails, would turn and check her out with a totally confused look on their faces.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:07 PM   #278
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

T-9 days for us and no packing completed yet...AHHHHH!!.. I work overnight the next two nights then have a bday party for my mom on Sunday (with no sleep).....But Monday and Tuesday I'm going to force him to pack!!!!!

He has heard from his roommate so that is good.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #279
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

He's leaving in the morning. I hear him upstairs rolling up posters.... this is serious.

It's ironic...he's actually been out of high school for a year (finally made a decision about education), so I haven't been in the doting mother role for a while. It's really the past few days, getting ready for this, that I've been more of a momma than I've been in a long time.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #280
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Yesterday DS and I left early to make his last Walmart run and shop for a couple of dress shirts and ties and a pair of khakis. We were home by 12:30, I asked DS all day do you need help packing. His reply, "I'll get to it." Well at 8 p.m. we were still finishing his laundry and I ran out and got more storage totes from Kmart and pushed him to finish packing. I think it hit him yesterday that he was leaving and he was dragging his feet. He finished packing at 10:30 p.m. and loaded the van this morning.

Toy Story 3s "Strange things are happening to me" song and movie clips ran through my head all night.

So we moved DS in today. He's at school an hour away and I cried halfway there. It started when I walked DD to school this morning just before we left, and saw a teacher whose son is a friend of my sons and she moved him into his school last week. She asked when my DS moves in and I said "We're leaving now"--and the waterworks started. I cried halfway to his school an hour away.

We arrived and it was well organized. The parents unloaded the kids and their stuff and left them on the curb while the parents parked the auto. I actually found this funny as it was like "kicking our kids to the cub" literally. At the curb, there was an older student waiting to help haul stuff to the rooms. DS and I waited with his stuff for DH to park the van and chatted with DSs moving assistant, but the clouds were quickly coming closer. I suggested they get a move on with the first armfuls and I wait for DH.

When DH and I got to the dorm building, DS and the other kids were waiting in lines to check in. The assistants and parents were hauling stuff to the rooms and leaving it outside the rooms. DH and the assitant managed to get all but 1 load to the building before the rain. We had forgotten our hand truck--that would have been sooo helpful.

At DSs room, he arrived just before his roommate and his parents. DSs room is very nice with a private bath for he and his roommate. DS is fortunate to be in the newest set of dorms (a privilege given first to the honors students and then filled in by other students--not sure how others get selected for the dorms). It took us a lot longer to unpack DS than his roommate and his family. I think DS brought a lot more stuff.

By the time DS was settled in, my brother and my niece arrived to move her into her dorm (she's in another building across campus). We went over to help them and then all had a nice lunch together.

My brother dropped us back off near DSs dorm and we went in to pick up a few things we were bringing home. DSs roommate and one of his friends arrived back and the kids were talking and getting to know each other so we ducked out.

As we were driving away. DH said "I'm proud of you you didn't cry." And that's when I teared up. But just for a bit.

DH talked to DS about 4 hours after we left and DS said he was bored, but talking with other kids he ran into that he knows from other places.

Tomorrow the freshmen organized activities start so that will be good.

At home, DS #2 now has to do dishes tonight and take out the trash--those were older DSs jobs. So we'll all have to adjust. Although DS#2, who just got his learner's permit this week, just said, "Did DS#1 leave his car keys?" I said, "yes." DS#2 in a devious voice "Really" LOL
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #281
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

So, tonight I get a call from DD: Mom? Are you still feeling the effects of Empty Nest Syndrome?
Me: Yes. Why?
DD: I'm on my way home and bringing you something. Be there in a few minutes.

She arrived with 2 new friends and a lovely baby squirrel about 2-3 weeks old!

Now, anyone who knows me knows I love squirrels as much as I love the Beach Boys and Disney World. In fact, the squirrels at WDW...well, nevermind. Bicker would not be happy with me sharing that info, lol. Anyway...

Tonight I'm trying to keep a tiny, fit in the palm of your hand, baby squirrel alive! So, so cute.

We fed the 3 girls because they were on their way to the dining hall to eat when they found the baby so they missed dinner.

I truly hope this is the ONLY baby my DD brings home to me from college!

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well this week with move ins and all that!! Oh, the 2 girls who came to the house are the ones who were crying so hard last week and are doing much better.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #282
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post

I truly hope this is the ONLY baby my DD brings home to me from college!

They leave for LA in the morning. I just got a job (Tuesday about 10 PM) as a school librarian and started Wednesday morning! I've been super-busy, so maybe I won't miss her much-until I stop for a minute and think of her.

Good luck to everyone!

Brenda, I'll bet you love that she can just pop in. That is great.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #283
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

WARNING - Keep the girl/boy friends FAR away on moving day! Did not need THOSE extra tears! Geez.
ckay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #284
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

We left Friday afternoon - move in day was Saturday.

DD's roommate had the orientation just before move-in date, and "those" students moved in on Wednesday. So - we hooked up with roomie Friday night to get some things out of the van (so we could go pick up the fridge that we had at Walmart on the "site-to-store" delivery.)

Move-in time officially started at 8, but we got there from the hotel at 7:45. Our car got unloaded ASAP (there are fraternity and sororiety volunteers to unload and move stuff). It took 10 minutes max for that process.

By 10:00 or so - the line to unload appeared to be HOURS long. I'm glad we were done with that part early. (IF we would have had to get the fridge on Saturday, we would have been in the car line at that time.)

We ran to Walmart and Bed Bath and Beyond for some storage-related items (easliy carried from the parking ramps) and had lunch. My goal was to leave at 2 - and we actually left a few minutes before then.

The good bye was great a floormate that DD met on Friday night (that girl had the last orientatino too) stopped by...Seemed like the perfect time for a quick hug...a few tears.. BUT THAT WAS ALL

We got home about 6 had dinner, and then took the van that we rented back home. (That way I could sleep in today!)

DD assembled her chair on Friday night while DH and I ran and got the fridge. DD was "kidding around" with a different dad who was assembling a chair in the hallway. Having fun - the dad was pretty impressed that she offered her toolkit if he needed it

DD was very organized...made the day great!!! Now on to the next task...want to send out a care package to mail out tomorrow!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #285
Patience
DIS Veteran

My 5 year old is really missing her big sister. Her Kindergarten teacher told me she talks about her sister all the time. During art class last week, the Kindergartners had to draw a picture of something that makes them happy. My girl drew a picture of herself holding hands with her big sister. Sniff, sniff.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: