Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #196
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
The 48 hours before my daughter moved in, I thought was the worst. Just the waiting to do the deed. She was so sweet to me before leaving--cooked me dinner after work Wednesday, sat on the couch and watched the ladies soccer game yesterday and even let me snuggle close. She tolerated me quite well.
Be glad you have a girl. My son is so anti-Mom freaking out college he actually took off and went on vacation 3 hours from home, only coming back late Monday night to grab his stuff and sleep here one night before we move him in on Tuesday
Old 08-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #197
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Be glad you have a girl. My son is so anti-Mom freaking out college he actually took off and went on vacation 3 hours from home, only coming back late Monday night to grab his stuff and sleep here one night before we move him in on Tuesday
I always thought it was the girls who were moody. So glad to hear yours is so sweet, Brenda.

I'm still waiting for that GOLDEN day that my son thinks I'm the anti-Christ and thinks it's NOT cool to hang out with Mom...like everyone told me he would do at 13 and he's 19!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM   #198
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Spent this morning shopping with DS. Just getting some jeans and a pillow. But it was a funny trip- a comedy of errors happened and his laugh. Oh his laugh. That is what I will miss the most. We laughed the morning away. Now I am sitting here crying. stupid hormones.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #199
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
I always thought it was the girls who were moody. So glad to hear yours is so sweet, Brenda.

I'm still waiting for that GOLDEN day that my son thinks I'm the anti-Christ and thinks it's NOT cool to hang out with Mom...like everyone told me he would do at 13 and he's 19!
Robin, I've waited for her to go through all that too and it never happened. I figured when we were together 24/7 for 4 yrs. of homeschooling it might get bad but it never did. I'm so grateful that she is such a wonderful person to be around.

That'll never happen with Michael. Remember Helen? How many little boys would notice Helen? 1 in 1000, probably. I hope he uses that part of himself/personality in whatever he chooses to do with his life. He'll definitely need to satisfy his need for giving compassion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
Spent this morning shopping with DS. Just getting some jeans and a pillow. But it was a funny trip- a comedy of errors happened and his laugh. Oh his laugh. That is what I will miss the most. We laughed the morning away. Now I am sitting here crying. stupid hormones.
I still have not cried. But that's not to say I will not...

I'll miss all the laughs too. We laughed a lot and laughing is good for the soul. I'll have to do something about that.

My DH called from work today and he said, "I'm so wiped out. Moving her in was so emotionally hard. Boy this empty nest sucks, doesn't it?"

Yes, yes it does. *sigh*

It is now 5:00 on Friday and she's not going to walk in that door...

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away

Last edited by Buckalew11; 08-10-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: today is Frisday, not Thursday. And it is almost 7 and she is still not home & not coming! ugh!
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #200
LisaR

Oh, good God, what is wrong with me? I just discovered this thread and I am reading it and choking up way more than I should. Mine doesn't leave for one full year! If I am this bad now, I can't imagine what I will be like this time next year. It won't be pretty. Good luck to all of you going through this. It is so hard letting them grow up even though we all know it is the right thing to do.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #201
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Well, it's over. DD is all moved in an tucked away at college (college? gosh, still just doesn't seem possible...).

I have to say that I am so PROUD of myself for not being a blubbering mess while we were on campus. I weeped a bit on the drive there, but she didn't notice.

DD did very well and only cried once - but I think anyone would because it was heartbreaking. The dogs lost their minds when we started carrying her stuff out to the car. The little one hasn't eaten a full meal since she started packing, but they both suddenly knew exactly what was going on. It was chaos - the barking, whining, running, trying to get out the door and into the car..

And then she went to hug them goodbye. The little guy grabbed her tightly around the neck and started making the most mournful squealing noise. She had to pry him off her neck. He was shaking so hard and kept trying to get back to her .... we had to put him in a kennel so she could leave.

But once on campus, everything was so much better. It was fun moving her in and seeing the excitement on these kid's faces. This was one of the MOST EXCITING days of their lives and it was nearly impossible to be sad.

She loves her room, the view, just about everything.

So I left her at 2 o'clock, when she "suggested" that I could go home anytime I wanted. And it wasn't until 6:30 that we did our first Facetime. And she started it!

But I kept my tears in until I got home. Her stuff isn't here. The house seems so sad. So I mowed the lawn. And I'll try to find other stuff to do to fill the time and the void. And I'll dream about the days when she was young and we had forever. And she called me her best friend. And she told me we'd never, ever be apart.

Ugh. Sorry. I keep doing that.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #202
Buckalew11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
Well, it's over. DD is all moved in an tucked away at college (college? gosh, still just doesn't seem possible...).

I have to say that I am so PROUD of myself for not being a blubbering mess while we were on campus. I weeped a bit on the drive there, but she didn't notice.

DD did very well and only cried once - but I think anyone would because it was heartbreaking. The dogs lost their minds when we started carrying her stuff out to the car. The little one hasn't eaten a full meal since she started packing, but they both suddenly knew exactly what was going on. It was chaos - the barking, whining, running, trying to get out the door and into the car..

And then she went to hug them goodbye. The little guy grabbed her tightly around the neck and started making the most mournful squealing noise. She had to pry him off her neck. He was shaking so hard and kept trying to get back to her .... we had to put him in a kennel so she could leave.

But once on campus, everything was so much better. It was fun moving her in and seeing the excitement on these kid's faces. This was one of the MOST EXCITING days of their lives and it was nearly impossible to be sad.

She loves her room, the view, just about everything.

So I left her at 2 o'clock, when she "suggested" that I could go home anytime I wanted. And it wasn't until 6:30 that we did our first Facetime. And she started it!

But I kept my tears in until I got home. Her stuff isn't here. The house seems so sad. So I mowed the lawn. And I'll try to find other stuff to do to fill the time and the void. And I'll dream about the days when she was young and we had forever. And she called me her best friend. And she told me we'd never, ever be apart.

Ugh. Sorry. I keep doing that.
Well done Barb!!

I spoke with DD tonight. She is there with freshman fall athletes so not all freshman are there. She said the ones she was around today all cried. One bawled. I asked her is she did her best "Sheldon Cooper" and said, "There, there." lol She said she was the only who hasn't cried.

She said one of the girls cried and said, "I miss my mommy!!" I asked her how far away they were from home and she said the 2 she was with were 2 and 5 hours.

Barb, I too thought the actual moving in was not bad. The leading up to it was heart wrenching. And tonight...I miss her.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #203
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
She said the ones she was around today all cried. One bawled. I asked her is she did her best "Sheldon Cooper" and said, "There, there." lol .
She should have sang "Soft Kitty". That would have made it all better!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:07 PM   #204
Buckalew11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
She should have sang "Soft Kitty". That would have made it all better!

Great suggestion!!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #205
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u
DIS Veteran

I spent the last while reading through all of these. Our DS is a high school senior this year. He has already applied to the University of Alabama and now we are just waiting on a reply from the school. Everything is in and now it's just a wait and see game. My DW and I just can't fathom not having DS around. My DW already cries when she thinks about it and we still have a year to go. I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like next summer. We spent spring vacation touring different schools down south. We are moving to SC the end of this school year after DS graduates. We had toured the University of SC and had hoped DS would love it......but he did not. He didn't like being right in the city. Deep down we had hoped he would love it. Then DS had also considered Penn State and Clemson. Then we went to UA and from the moment we arrived, he just knew it was where he was suppose to be. It will be about 6 hours away and I think it will just about kill my DW. I believe she will adjust just fine after the fact but I do believe the anticipation will do her in. Wishing you all the best of luck!
MrEVILdrPorkchop2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #206
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Well done Barb!!

I spoke with DD tonight. She is there with freshman fall athletes so not all freshman are there. She said the ones she was around today all cried. One bawled. I asked her is she did her best "Sheldon Cooper" and said, "There, there." lol She said she was the only who hasn't cried.

She said one of the girls cried and said, "I miss my mommy!!" I asked her how far away they were from home and she said the 2 she was with were 2 and 5 hours.

Barb, I too thought the actual moving in was not bad. The leading up to it was heart wrenching. And tonight...I miss her.
Thank you, thank you!! I wish there was a "taking a bow" smiley 'cause I could totally use it! I am quite pleased with my performance today as a normal, well-adjusted, supportive mom (versus the simpering mess that I am!). I didn't see anyone crying at her school today but I did leave early in comparison to the moms who came from out of town.

It's very sad to think of all of those kids who are missing their moms and dads so badly. I guess that makes me feel better that, at least, I don't have to worry about my DD crying for me. I think that might just do me in.

And to all you Moms and Dads who are missing their babies tonight... my heart goes out to you. To all of you who will soon be missing them... relish every last minute before they go.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #207
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

DD18 is all moved in! We started the drive back home at 4pm and she called around 9 - we had just stopped for the night. She's having fun so far - likes her roommate, loves her room, all unpacked and stuff up on the wall. She has class in the morning and a field trip to the beach Sunday. So happy for her! And for me!
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #208
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Are any of your new college students going to pledge with a fraternity or sorority?

DS has been contacted by a fraternity or two and is interested, but says he wants to get through 1st semester first before pledging. I think that's a good idea to get his feel for college life and what the frats are about. I hope he doesn't get swayed to pledge earlier.

What are the rest of you thinking and what are your kids doing about pledging?
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #209
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Well we finally got the roommate assignment. My son has made a list of clothes he wants to take. So far that's the extent of preparation. Fortunately we have 16 days before we have to drive him to school.

Not worried about tears and sadness. This is my third heading to college so I feel I'm an old hat at it....this is the first one with a medical condition. He is Type 1 diabetic. He is very very capable but Type 1 is just one of those disease that can throw you a deadly curve ball and you never knew it....that's the biggest fear of sending a Type 1 kid off on their own.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #210
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Robin, I've waited for her to go through all that too and it never happened. I figured when we were together 24/7 for 4 yrs. of homeschooling it might get bad but it never did. I'm so grateful that she is such a wonderful person to be around.

That'll never happen with Michael. Remember Helen? How many little boys would notice Helen? 1 in 1000, probably. I hope he uses that part of himself/personality in whatever he chooses to do with his life. He'll definitely need to satisfy his need for giving compassion.

OmG, Helen!!! Wow, what a memory~

So many people wanted him to go into nursing or special ed, it's truly his passion to help those who need it. He wants to work in TV like I do, I think it's because he's always been around it. Eventually he will find his true passion and it will be taking care of SOMEONE~ hopefully not his elderly Mom!

I'm so glad your dd is a blessing because YOU are one. She's going to excel in her chosen school because it has always been her dream. It's awesome to have a dream, and so few kids have one. She doesn't lose her focus and that's RARE!

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: