Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 07:05 PM   #181
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by java View Post
but no matter how far away they are they are still away- not there all the time. Mine is moving 5 hours away! But it's better than the 16 hour away school that was in the running.
Exactly! She will no longer be part of my daily life. No more looking forward to her coming home after work (she works most weeknights and weekend days) to chat and laugh. Between work and school, she won't be by to visit much (and we have been SO warned that we are to stay away from campus ... thankfully I have an excuse to go there because of my job... lol).

Five hours would be rough for me.. but 16 would put me in a mental institution!! I feel for you...!!
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #182
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

I just found this thread.

My oldest, DS18 will be leaving on the 15th. He is attending a state school 3 hours from home. I think he is going to love it. He doesn't have his own car, but there are several kids he knows who do, so I am sure he can get home if he really wants to.

I keep pushing to get the supplies put in one place, taken out of packaging, washed, etc. I figure he thinks that's what Monday and Tuesday are for .

I just paid tuition last Saturday . DS is responsible for $5000 each year, and we are footing the rest. Luckily we started his college fund before he was born, so between that, his contribution and the $ I am making now that I am back at work, he won't be facing any loans from undergrad, but we have told him that grad school is all his.

I am sure it will be difficult having him gone, but he just spent 2 weeks backpacking at Philmont Scout Ranch with no cell service, so I guess if we can survive that, we can survive this!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #183
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
DD leaves Friday morning. I am ... a wreck. I'm trying SO hard to keep it together but I'm finding it almost impossible I can't imagine my daily life without her. From the minute she pulled out the suitcases and started packing, my little dog won't eat (the big one is getting fatter because of it, too). I keep thinking about Saturday morning... without her.

It's like knowing that come Friday, the sun won't shine again.

I know, I know. I'm being terribly dramatic. Her dad and I have done nothing to plan our future ,post-DD (an only child, as you probably summized). We need to get our lives in order and give ourselves something to look forward to .. with just the two of us.

It's just been the three of us for so long.

I'm holding back tears in front of her because as much as I don't want her to leave, I DO want her to leave and start what will be a fabulous and remarkable life. I had SO much fun my freshman year at college. I want her to have incredible experiences as well.

Oh.. and she's going to school about 7 miles away from home. I know, I know!! I said I was being dramatic.
Barb, , you made lol.

I was reading your post thinking, yes, yes, yes, yes! This woman knows exactly how I am feeling. No sunshine... our dogs know something is up also, she is an only so it has always been just the 3 of us. She has grown into a wonderful buddy to me.

And now she is growing up and leaving me! And while I am thrilled for her, I am so sad that this part of our life together is done and it'll never be the same. She is very independent and so ready for this. I, OTOH, am so not ready for this.

Anyway, DD will 6.6 miles down the road and we're at the college often. I run over there, we go to all the football games and basketball games so we'll see her. Home will just not be the same.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #184
JBurke
WL VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyeveryyear View Post
I just found this thread.

My oldest, DS18 will be leaving on the 15th. He is attending a state school 3 hours from home. I think he is going to love it. He doesn't have his own car, but there are several kids he knows who do, so I am sure he can get home if he really wants to.

I keep pushing to get the supplies put in one place, taken out of packaging, washed, etc. I figure he thinks that's what Monday and Tuesday are for .

I just paid tuition last Saturday . DS is responsible for $5000 each year, and we are footing the rest. Luckily we started his college fund before he was born, so between that, his contribution and the $ I am making now that I am back at work, he won't be facing any loans from undergrad, but we have told him that grad school is all his.

I am sure it will be difficult having him gone, but he just spent 2 weeks backpacking at Philmont Scout Ranch with no cell service, so I guess if we can survive that, we can survive this!
I see we are both from Illinois. Is your DS attending Illinois State?
That is where my DD is headed to next week.
She is our oldest so this is going to be quite a transition for us. Luckily it is only 2 hours away, far enough for her but not too far for us!

WL 10/96
WL 10/01
WL 08/03
POR 07/10

JBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #185
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DD leaves Friday morning. I am ... a wreck. I'm trying SO hard to keep it together but I'm finding it almost impossible I can't imagine my daily life without her. From the minute she pulled out the suitcases and started packing, my little dog won't eat (the big one is getting fatter because of it, too). I keep thinking about Saturday morning... without her.

It's like knowing that come Friday, the sun won't shine again.

I know, I know. I'm being terribly dramatic. Her dad and I have done nothing to plan our future ,post-DD (an only child, as you probably summized). We need to get our lives in order and give ourselves something to look forward to .. with just the two of us.

It's just been the three of us for so long.

I'm holding back tears in front of her because as much as I don't want her to leave, I DO want her to leave and start what will be a fabulous and remarkable life. I had SO much fun my freshman year at college. I want her to have incredible experiences as well.

Oh.. and she's going to school about 7 miles away from home. I know, I know!! I said I was being dramatic.
Aw, this post made me laugh & cry!!! DD is only going an hour away so I know it's not bad but still hard to not see her every day. I agree, my college years were the best & I can't wait for her to have that experience too.

Start coming up w/ideas of things you can look forward to so that the sting of her leaving will be off set by something happy! Or we can just all grab some drinks & have a big pity party/celebration when they go.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #186
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

So are any of your kids bringing an iron to school with them?

DS mentioned getting one today. He is planning to go to church and wear his dress clothes while at school, and really probably will.

How does the wrinkle release stuff in the spray bottle work?
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 PM   #187
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post

DS mentioned getting one today. He is planning to go to church and wear his dress clothes while at school, and really probably will.

Some stuff works ok. Best bet is to understand getting stuff out of the dryer quick. I would check to see if irons are allowed. There are so many restrictions these days about what is allowed to be taken into a dorm room.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #188
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckalew11 View Post
Barb, , you made lol.

I was reading your post thinking, yes, yes, yes, yes! This woman knows exactly how I am feeling. No sunshine... our dogs know something is up also, she is an only so it has always been just the 3 of us. She has grown into a wonderful buddy to me.

And now she is growing up and leaving me! And while I am thrilled for her, I am so sad that this part of our life together is done and it'll never be the same. She is very independent and so ready for this. I, OTOH, am so not ready for this.

Anyway, DD will 6.6 miles down the road and we're at the college often. I run over there, we go to all the football games and basketball games so we'll see her. Home will just not be the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephMK View Post
Aw, this post made me laugh & cry!!! DD is only going an hour away so I know it's not bad but still hard to not see her every day. I agree, my college years were the best & I can't wait for her to have that experience too.

Start coming up w/ideas of things you can look forward to so that the sting of her leaving will be off set by something happy! Or we can just all grab some drinks & have a big pity party/celebration when they go.
It's SOOOOO good to have people understand how I feel! I'm being told by everyone around me to suck it up, shut up and go on with my life. OF COURSE, most of these people either a) don't have children or b) have kids so young that they can't even imagine what it feels like to be at this point in your child's life.

She's packing the rest of her stuff now. In almost exactly 12 hours, we'll be moving her stuff into the dorm. This time tomorrow, I'll probably pretty far down into a bottle of wine, hugging the dogs, watching Toy Story 3 and feeling UTTERLY guilty for not considering her toy's feelings about her growing up and moving out.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #189
ctinct
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post

My daughter brought an iron last year. She says she used it a few times, but I know she loves Downy Wrinkle Release.

I take my daughter back next Sunday, and she just found out yesterday her roommate will not be returning to school. She's really stressed out over this, because she did not have a good roommate situation her first year at all, and was looking forward to rooming with people she actually likes and gets along with. She's in an on campus apt. with two double rooms. It's possible the spot in her room may remain empty until the spring, because a lot of students go abroad for the fall semester, but otoh, the school ran into a bit of a jam for this semester when more students enrolled than usual. They had to scramble to convert a few more buildings to housing, so they may still be moving kids into open spots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her.
ctinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #190
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
It's SOOOOO good to have people understand how I feel! I'm being told by everyone around me to suck it up, shut up and go on with my life. OF COURSE, most of these people either a) don't have children or b) have kids so young that they can't even imagine what it feels like to be at this point in your child's life.

She's packing the rest of her stuff now. In almost exactly 12 hours, we'll be moving her stuff into the dorm. This time tomorrow, I'll probably pretty far down into a bottle of wine, hugging the dogs, watching Toy Story 3 and feeling UTTERLY guilty for not considering her toy's feelings about her growing up and moving out.
I am getting the same response. She is leaving on the 18th here. All the way to the west coast from Texas. I feel like I am losing a good friend.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #191
SueInBoston
DIS Veteran

Started our shopping last night...4 hours at Ikea and 2 at Target. I was pooped

Ikea has a basic tool kit (hammer, screwdriver, wrench and misc) for $8 and a basic sewing kit for $7
SueInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #192
Patience
DIS Veteran

My daughter leaves for college on Monday. She will be at a state university about two and a half hours from home. I have been teary-eyed all week. I am going to miss her so much!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #193
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

2 weeks from today til my daughter moves into her Freshman dorm. My older daughter will be a senior in college this year, she leaves on the 23rd. For all of you first timers, it really does get easier with time! The first semester is really rough for the parent and the kid, but second semester is easier and by Senior year it's so much better. Still a twinge, but you know that you'll all survive.

What will be weird for us this year is being home with only one kid! It is going to be really quiet around here!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #194
Snowflakey
Mouseketeer

2 weeks from today my DD will be moving into her freshman dorm and I will be crying

She isn't too far but to me it could be across the country - she is still gone.

I'm so excited for her but sad for the loss around our home. She is such an amazing young woman who brings such joy to DH and myself. Not to mention she is so darn funny around home

Good news last night is she found out she got the girl she requested as a roommate just the two of them in a room They met at the accepted student day and just hit it off so I couldn't be happier!
Snowflakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #195
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:

I bawled through Toy Story 3. She did take 2 teddy bears with her.

BTW, she is IN. Happy today and I am glad it is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
I am getting the same response. She is leaving on the 18th here. All the way to the west coast from Texas. I feel like I am losing a good friend.
I'm afraid I had no idea the emotions a parent goes through when their kids moves off to college. Boy do I now. And the thought of Texas to California? Ugh! We know a girl moving from TN out to California. Many, many hugs. That is how I feel too--like my friend is gone. (& just 6.6 miles down the road!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
My daughter leaves for college on Monday. She will be at a state university about two and a half hours from home. I have been teary-eyed all week. I am going to miss her so much!
The 48 hours before my daughter moved in, I thought was the worst. Just the waiting to do the deed. She was so sweet to me before leaving--cooked me dinner after work Wednesday, sat on the couch and watched the ladies soccer game yesterday and even let me snuggle close. She tolerated me quite well.

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: