Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #166
StephMK
DIS Veteran

DD will be doing work study and using that for spending money. She also has plenty saved from gifts, etc unless she gets too out of hand.

DD leaves 2 weeks from Monday! She is going early to rush and I think it will be good that she can settle in and get to know her roomie and some other girls before everyone shows up the following weekend.

It was funny, we were discussing moving in & I said I could help if we were back before too late. She then reminded me that she wouldn't be coming back w/me! Oh yeah, I guess not!

We are taking the opposite tack of helicopter parents. She will be an hour away but we are considering a move next year that will take us several hours away from her! I absolutely hate to leave her but really want to move more. At least we'll be around for her first year & she's fine w/it. She knew it was a possibility when she was choosing colleges.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #167
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Hope that the market keeps going UP! I sold some mutual fund today and it gets priced at the end of the day so we may have more $$ If it keeps going UP!!
Tuition is due on the 1st!

WOOHOO! Made another $500 by waiting until today vs. last week!

Last edited by java; 07-27-2012 at 05:53 PM.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #168
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

My daughter leaves in 16 days and they finally got their room mate notifications yesterday!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #169
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD moves in on the 19th. Her last day at work is this Friday. I think she has everything ready and she is very excited. One awesome thing she found out last week is the school has accepted all her AP classes/exams for credit. With that and her 2 dual credit classes she is starting with 19 hours under her belt.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #170
Snowflakey
Mouseketeer

DD moves in 2 weeks from Friday! She still doesn't know her dorm/roommate

I can't believe she will be gone I will miss her so much but she isn't too far from home so I'm getting the best of both worlds I guess

I'm so very proud of her and excited for her to begin college
Snowflakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #171
ez
Yoshi Lover
Alas, I have been a dvc and concierge snob (but I'll stay in a moderate if I must)

DD moves in on the 22nd. She has 53 credit hours because she did IB, so I guess she is a sophomore already! The good thing with that is also, she has gotten so much of the really hard stuff out of the way, calculus, bio, physics. I really wish they had had something like that way back when I was in HS, there was no jump start at all back then.
ez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #172
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

We bought DS his laptop he needs for school last Tuesday at Best Buy.

And he SPILLED WATER on it on Monday night. Arghhh!! We are so mad.

Lucky for him, we bought the extended warranty damage protection and it looks like it will be covered. Believe me, if it's not covered it's all on him .

Looks like he may be without a computer for the first few days/weeks, oh well, he's gonna have to find the computer lab.

Who knew that 18 year old college kids need sippy cups?
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #173
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie dust 112 View Post
My daughter leaves in 16 days and they finally got their room mate notifications yesterday!
My son leaves in 18 days and no roommate info yet....

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #174
Green Tea
I don't do hatchets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post

Lucky for him, we bought the extended warranty damage protection and it looks like it will be covered. Believe me, if it's not covered it's all on him .

Looks like he may be without a computer for the first few days/weeks, oh well, he's gonna have to find the computer lab.

If you paid with a credit card, that will likely refund the cost; call and check. If you have the Square Trade warranty then you won't have any trouble. If you bought a Best Buy warranty you might have to end up going with the credit card. BB is just awful to deal with on warranties.

I figured out the credit card protection by accident, well my kid's accident. I purchased a new cell phone which got destroyed nearly day one. I called because i the back of my mind I remembered reading about credit cards offering purchase insurance for some period of time. I called and sure enough, they sent me a check for the full amount.
Green Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #175
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tea View Post
If you paid with a credit card, that will likely refund the cost; call and check. If you have the Square Trade warranty then you won't have any trouble. If you bought a Best Buy warranty you might have to end up going with the credit card. BB is just awful to deal with on warranties.

I figured out the credit card protection by accident, well my kid's accident. I purchased a new cell phone which got destroyed nearly day one. I called because i the back of my mind I remembered reading about credit cards offering purchase insurance for some period of time. I called and sure enough, they sent me a check for the full amount.
Great reminder! I used our Disney Visa. I will look into that!
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #176
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post

We bought the extended warranty damage protection from Dell for DD's computer. She doesn't know it though.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #177
StephMK
DIS Veteran

DD leaves Monday! Ack. I don't know if I'm ready or not!

I think we have gotten pretty much everything she needs and just have one trip left for school supplies. I'm going to pick up a mattress pad today & will get her some snacks when I go to the grocery store later this week.

She is very organized & has everything piled in her room. She washed her towels this am & her sheets are in there now. Other than shopping w/her, I haven't had to do much.

She also went online for jobs and already got hired on campus. She is thrilled and I'm so happy she took the initiative to get that going. She loves her hours & starts the first week of classes. She's used to being busy so hopefully she will be ok transitioning to class & work the same week.

We will have a celebration dinner for her Sunday night. I think I will have trouble w/that but hope to make it through moving tear free. She is pretty used to me crying all through her senior year. I'm so excited for her but like pp said, it's hard to realize that stage is over. I know she's ready & will do great so I feel like I did my part and look forward to watching her in her new adventures.
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #178
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

DS moves in on Tuesday. He's packed and ready to go, and out of town on vacation before he comes back to load up and leave. All his boxes are just sitting in my office. It's a little sad.

I just need to get him cold medicine for his "just in case you get sick" box and I think he's good to go. He's only going to be an hour away, so this isn't really making me sad or anything, is that bad?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #179
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

DD leaves Friday morning. I am ... a wreck. I'm trying SO hard to keep it together but I'm finding it almost impossible I can't imagine my daily life without her. From the minute she pulled out the suitcases and started packing, my little dog won't eat (the big one is getting fatter because of it, too). I keep thinking about Saturday morning... without her.

It's like knowing that come Friday, the sun won't shine again.

I know, I know. I'm being terribly dramatic. Her dad and I have done nothing to plan our future ,post-DD (an only child, as you probably summized). We need to get our lives in order and give ourselves something to look forward to .. with just the two of us.

It's just been the three of us for so long.

I'm holding back tears in front of her because as much as I don't want her to leave, I DO want her to leave and start what will be a fabulous and remarkable life. I had SO much fun my freshman year at college. I want her to have incredible experiences as well.

Oh.. and she's going to school about 7 miles away from home. I know, I know!! I said I was being dramatic.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #180
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
DD leaves Friday morning. I am ... a wreck. I'm trying SO hard to keep it together but I'm finding it almost impossible I can't imagine my daily life without her. From the minute she pulled out the suitcases and started packing, my little dog won't eat (the big one is getting fatter because of it, too). I keep thinking about Saturday morning... without her.

It's like knowing that come Friday, the sun won't shine again.

I know, I know. I'm being terribly dramatic. Her dad and I have done nothing to plan our future ,post-DD (an only child, as you probably summized). We need to get our lives in order and give ourselves something to look forward to .. with just the two of us.

It's just been the three of us for so long.

I'm holding back tears in front of her because as much as I don't want her to leave, I DO want her to leave and start what will be a fabulous and remarkable life. I had SO much fun my freshman year at college. I want her to have incredible experiences as well.

Oh.. and she's going to school about 7 miles away from home. I know, I know!! I said I was being dramatic.
but no matter how far away they are they are still away- not there all the time. Mine is moving 5 hours away! But it's better than the 16 hour away school that was in the running.
java is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: