Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #136
VickiVM
Not above flirting with Tag Fairies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
I felt a little wrong when she went to her orientation alone. I've always heard of parents orientation sessions & several friend w/ kids headed to different schools have all done them this year as well. Nope, DD assured me that it's really just about the students, they have parent sessions but the vibe was definitely there that they were merely for show, no meat & potatoes. She said fewer than half the kids at her orientation had parents attending. Most of them gave up before the first day was done. Literally only a handful were left by the next morning. This is a Big Ten school & was a massive orientation session. I really felt like a slacker parent not attending, but I guess she was right.
We didn't attend either Orientation was last month for 3 days and I just couldn't see us going to meeting after meeting...everything I need to know I can look up on the website or email someone. Really trying hard not to be overly involved in my son's college experience.

On Aug 23 we drive up to Denton to drop off my son. He will be attending UNT's Eagle Camp on the 24th so we will have literally less than 1 hour from the time housing opens up to let students move in their stuff until he has to leave for Camp. So no lingering for us...we'll just rip that band-aid off quick and drive on back to San Antonio.

He already registered for housing in January and for classes last month. Music students all typically stay in one particular hall (same dorm that Don Henley and Norah Jones lived in as students), so it gets filled up quickly. He will be in a community group, so his roommate was already assigned and they've been fb'ing already.

Truthfully, I'm sorta ready for him to leave now...it's been an unusual summer now that he's not in high school, but not really in college either. I've cut the apron strings so to speak, but at the same time, not really comfortable holding back on "parenting" him.
VickiVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #137
pixie dust 112
DIS Veteran
Anderson Cooper stews my juices!
Wanna move in with me?

At my daughter's orientation one parent was complaining that the parents weren't allowed to meet with the students' advisors because she knew what her son needed to take this fall and the advisor surely wouldn't know what was best for her snowflake.

I have to say that our parent orientation was great. I had been to one for my other daughter 3 years ago and that one was just ok.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #138
VickiVM
Not above flirting with Tag Fairies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie dust 112 View Post
At my daughter's orientation one parent was complaining that the parents weren't allowed to meet with the students' advisors because she knew what her son needed to take this fall and the advisor surely wouldn't know what was best for her snowflake.
Don't these parents know that this is one area of parenting where slacking off is a good thing??

DIS'ers: Between you and me...I CAN'T WAIT for the first time someone tosses my son's wet laundry out of the washer because he left it unattended for hours on end. And there is a long list of other life lessons I'm hoping college life will re-enforce where my griping fell on deaf ears!
VickiVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 PM   #139
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD's orientation is tomorrow. She headed down to the beach with a friend/roommate today then they will be going to orientation tomorrow. I was also told that there were parent sessions but I didn't 'need' to go. We have been to the campus for various open houses and parent sessions so I don't think I need to be there. Time to cut the strings.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #140
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Move in day for out of towners is August 16th, intowners Aug 17th and for "returners" is Aug 18th. My great niece is going to the same school as my son and my sister, her husband(her grandparents), my nephew, and her sister (YES, they're all coming with her ) are all coming down on the 14th... ???

I asked why and she swears that she can get in earlier... I don't know I think they need to CHECK before I have a bunch of houseguests for 2 days.

Robinrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #141
RitaE
DIS Veteran

My son moves in on a Thursday and I know that he ~can~ get in as early as Monday which is the day all those early groups start showing up - but it is a $50 a day fee and he has to let them know in advance.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #142
JBurke
WL VET

Great section in today's Chicago Tribune all about sending your child away to college; from shots to get, how not to be a helicopter parent, picking your major early, etc.

This article in particular was good about packing/shopping and the differences between boys and girls. I have DD going away next month and it sure is true about the shopping. Seems like parents of boys have it easier!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ge=2&dssReturn

WL 10/96
WL 10/01
WL 08/03
POR 07/10

JBurke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #143
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
Now you just had to go throw in that last sentence, didn't you? This is my first time at the rodeo and you just said exactly the bit I'm struggling with. It's such an odd thing to try and absorb.
My first time also. That is the part that *kills* me, I KNOW it'll never be the same. I know it will be a "good" different but it is a door closing and another opening!

I was in 8th grade when my middle sister left for college. She and I were very close and she was always motherly towards me. I remember watching her drive down the driveway to leave (every time she came home) and how terribly sad I was. I wasn't done growing up yet and still NEEDED her! lol I still tell her (34 years later), "You went to college and never came home!!" (She moved to SC)

I know DD is ready to go and we've equipped her the best we could. I am thrilled and excited for her. But darn, I'm going to miss that girl!!!!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #144
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
My son moves in on a Thursday and I know that he ~can~ get in as early as Monday which is the day all those early groups start showing up - but it is a $50 a day fee and he has to let them know in advance.
Fall sports moves in the 9th. Other freshman come the 23rd. Ours is $25.00 if someone wants to move in early. DD moves in the 9th and her roommate moves in the 23rd but wants to move in earlier. I think my DD is hoping she waits closer to the 23rd, lol.

Shining at the end of everyday
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #145
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

My son doesn't move in until Aug 26 and we don't get roommate info until after the first. My second child a boy went last year and I learned that boys are definitely minimalist for the most part. So, sending my second son off this year I won't get so worked up about it....

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #146
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

My son's dad went to orientation with him. He loves information and my notes wouldn't have been good enough for him

It was suggested that at least one parent came to orientation. There were sessions for student and parent together, and then things for the students to do at night while the parents could go to a reception. The students slept in dorms, and parents could too if they wanted, but in a different dorm than the kids. On the second day parents weren't allowed to go to adviser meetings so they could tour campus and go to some other things they had set up while the students were gone. Ex enjoyed it and said there were tons of parents there.

My son moves in August 14th. He's going a day early which is costing us $35 for the night, but it should be worth it just to avoid the majority of the move in traffic. We are done shopping for books and "household" stuff, and I think he's set. He'll only be an hour or so away, so it wont be too bad for us.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #147
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie dust 112 View Post

I have to say that our parent orientation was great. I had been to one for my other daughter 3 years ago and that one was just ok.
Our orientation was great, also. The financial director started her spiel by saying she didn't need a mike because she's an Italian from New York and I knew right off we'd get along!

The auditorium was huge and only two areas were used for the orientation. About 300 parents were there. Off to the side of the stage which they did not use sat ONE man with a pad, who interrupted every speaker with a unmitigated BRAG... ... MY daughter took only AP courses, can you slow down when you speak of AP courses? My daughter's GPA is blah blah, I am a blah blah..DID I tell you about my daughter?.. Uh, SHUTTUP already!

Wonder if he was a DISer????

The parent's part was only 2 hours, the student's part was from 7am to 6pm. I was a little concerned about Michael because he's EXTREMELY shy but he LOVED it. He said 3 kids from his high school were there and even though they weren't close in hs, they were drawn to each other there. He was also impressed by the range of ages among the "kids", 16 to 45! The 45yo was an adult returning to school after working for years.

He already knows he's gonna like it there!

Old 07-26-2012, 07:48 AM   #148
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Both dh and I went to dd's orientation. Are we helicopter parents? Hardly. But, it will be nice to know what dd is talking about when she is talking about her day to day experiences at college!! The kids all left after the big welcome to orientation talk. We didn't see them again until later that night. We all got together for a motivational speaker after dinner. The kids didn't even sit with the parents..they sat with their groups, the parents sat in another area! Got to say goodnight to them and they went off to the dorms for more fun...evidently lots of it since there was no sleeping until at least 1am!! Parents went off and did their own thing. Went back the next morning, had more meetings and such. During orientation we listened to various deans tell us what we needed to know about the college, what their policies are, etc. We got to attend special, small group meetings in a variety of subjects. We chose study abroad, tutoring services and campus activities. It was good to find out what is available and be able to actually speak to someone that is active in that particular area.
Yes, lots of it was boring...this was my third orientation...ds had two of them. And yes, there were more than plenty of helicopter parents asking stupid questions. But, all in all, I was glad we went. We ate in the dining hall where dd would eat her main meals...so got to see what her options would be and see if the meal plan that she had chosen was the best option for her.

So, the laundry has started, the shopping is almost finished. This time next month, she will be an official student at Roger Williams University in Bristol RI. We are thrilled for her...a beautiful campus, smallish student body...perfect fit for her. A bit scary, but hey, change usually is.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #149
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Both dh and I went to dd's orientation. Are we helicopter parents? Hardly. But, it will be nice to know what dd is talking about when she is talking about her day to day experiences at college!!
There is a big difference between a helicopter parent and an involved parent. The past few years has put the two on the same level and it's about the same as an abusive parent and a parent who disciplines an unruly child. NOT the same by a long shot.

The Mommy Daddy wars which changes ever few years need to realize that reinventing the wheel does not show the end result. If we find a process that WORKS (and by works I mean the results are apparent in the people RAISED) then we wouldn't have to make it up as we go along.

::stepping off my podium::

Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #150
ckay87
demented and sad...but social
This morning I had "you can't overlook your underwear" stuck in my head
Scared by a clapper in her teens

At my son's orientation, he slept in the dorms and I went out drinking with some friends. Stayed out too late and missed most of the first session the next day.

So yes, I was basically there to be a good role model.
ckay87 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: