Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
Friend of a Mouse
Braille: To touch words and have them touch you back

Nurses- Advice to somebody looking into your profession?

I am currently a teacher but am not very satisfied with my job. I am feeling very burnt out due to some decision by my school district and am feeling very disconnected. I have often thought about a career in health care and am considering career changing. I am currently looking into many different nursing programs including LPN, Professional nursing, and accelerated BSN.

If you have career changed, can you describe your path? Regardless of how you got into the profession, what advice would you give somebody looking into it? I am most interested in pediatrics, particularly pediatric oncology.

Worked for the Mouse: 2004-2007 (Attractions and Entertainment) Polynesian with family: 2004, 2005, 2007 POFQ and Disney Cruise with family: 2006 POFQ Honeymoon: 2010

Book Challenge 2014 /52. Currently reading: Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard
Finished: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard Independent Study by Joelle Charboneau The Customer Rules by Lee Cockerell
Friend of a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
Enchanted Minnie
Mouseketeer

I'm not a RN yet. I also was going to school for Education. I was working at my children's school as a EA. After working there for 2 years I was burned out! It's not the kids, it's the parents and district issues. I decided to go back to square one and do what is second nature to me. I was almost done with my degree in Education! My mother is a NP and my grandmother was a nursing instructor. So it's in my blood.

I now work at a hospital again as a Tech. I always go back to it and decided I need to just stop being an idiot and do it! Even if I have to start over. From what I see in the hospital where I work they are phasing out LPN's. Here they make about $30K/yr-$40K/yr depending on experience. The hospitals want professionals with an RN because they have been to school longer and can do more (ie, IV's, etc). But to go along with that a lot of hospitals are not hiring alot of RN's with only an associates degree either. They also want nurses who went to a school that is nationally and state accredited. So places like PIMA or ITT tech are not so accepted. So basically they want someone with a BSN from a state school.

I know it's different in every state and you always here how places are desperate for nurses. But a lot of people are graduating with RN's right now and at least in my state hospitals and health care places can afford to be picky. Once more baby boomers start to retire I'm told hiring should pick up. But the thing with nursing you can go anywhere and be a nurse. If you do L&D and get tired of that you can go to Adults. Or a specialty. You have more of an opportunity to not get so burned out and gain more experience.
Enchanted Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #3
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend of a Mouse View Post
I am currently a teacher but am not very satisfied with my job. I am feeling very burnt out due to some decision by my school district and am feeling very disconnected. I have often thought about a career in health care and am considering career changing. I am currently looking into many different nursing programs including LPN, Professional nursing, and accelerated BSN.

If you have career changed, can you describe your path? Regardless of how you got into the profession, what advice would you give somebody looking into it? I am most interested in pediatrics, particularly pediatric oncology.
First I would do alot of research in YOUR area regarding the availability of nursing jobs.
Where I live there are many nursing programs within a small area, in turn graduating many nurses who need jobs. The opportunity here is not plentiful. There is no shortage in our area. In fact, alot of hospitals are actually on a hiring freeze.

There is alot of burn out in nursing. Nurses work weekends, holidays, shifts, there are no snowdays and no summer vacation. I've worked on Christmas Day and while the whole world is sleeping. Thank goodness I had enough experience by the time I had kids to get a mon-fri , no holidays, weekends job.
Just because there is not a shortage does not mean your unit will be well staffed. Nurses are expected to do more for sicker patients with less help.

When I worked the floor sometimes I worked well over my 12 hour shift with barely a bathroom break let alone time to eat and then reprimanded because I wasnt done on time.

I have a nice job now in a same day surgery center but I've been a nurse for 23 years. There isnt anyone on my unit who has been a nurse less than 15 years.
Even there we work short staffed because if we are fully staffed as intended our productivity goes way down.

Burn out happens in every profession. There is BS you wont like and agree with everywhere.
There is alot to consider when deciding to go to nursing school.
Almost half the people I started nursing school with did not make it and graduate. The program is very vigorous .

Will you have to work? Do you have a family? How much support do you have?

As I said the job I have now is great. I would never want to do floor nursing again.

Just like when many people think of teachers, they think 9-3, mon-fri
No holidays, weekends,
Snowdays and all summer off. I know there is way more to teaching than that.

I would do lots of research in your area and talk to some nurses.
Truthfully, if I knew back then what I know now, I may have chose another career.

Good luck!
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #4
Joyful3Heart
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roliepolieoliefan View Post
First I would do alot of research in YOUR area regarding the availability of nursing jobs.
Where I live there are many nursing programs within a small area, in turn graduating many nurses who need jobs. The opportunity here is not plentiful. There is no shortage in our area. In fact, alot of hospitals are actually on a hiring freeze.
There is alot of burn out in nursing. Nurses work weekends, holidays, shifts, there are no snowdays and no summer vacation. I've worked on Christmas Day and while the whole world is sleeping. Thank goodness I had enough experience by the time I had kids to get a mon-fri , no holidays, weekends job.
Just because there is not a shortage does not mean your unit will be well staffed. Nurses are expected to do more for sicker patients with less help.

When I worked the floor sometimes I worked well over my 12 hour shift with barely a bathroom break let alone time to eat and then reprimanded because I wasnt done on time.

I have a nice job now in a same day surgery center but I've been a nurse for 23 years. There isnt anyone on my unit who has been a nurse less than 15 years.
Even there we work short staffed because if we are fully staffed as intended our productivity goes way down.

Burn out happens in every profession. There is BS you wont like and agree with everywhere.
There is alot to consider when deciding to go to nursing school.
Almost half the people I started nursing school with did not make it and graduate. The program is very vigorous .

Will you have to work? Do you have a family? How much support do you have?

As I said the job I have now is great. I would never want to do floor nursing again.

Just like when many people think of teachers, they think 9-3, mon-fri
No holidays, weekends,
Snowdays and all summer off. I know there is way more to teaching than that.

I would do lots of research in your area and talk to some nurses.
Truthfully, if I knew back then what I know now, I may have chose another career.

Good luck!
This (especially bolded). Only I've been a nurse for 18 years. I also went the same day surgery/outpatient surgery route and with 17 years in the same hospital, I still bid last for vacation. I finally like my job again, though.

The calling many of us have is common to all service professions, and obviously you have that, or you wouldn't have wanted to be a teacher in the first place.

The emotional reward is great at times, but the BS tends to be similar. Lack of support from management makes the BS seem insurmountable at times.

On a positive note, I have the best job security of anyone I know and can pretty much move anywhere in the country and find a job. I never minded working holidays. We would just celebrate them when I was off. Also, I was able to work around my husbands schedule and still significantly contribute to the family income, while not needing daycare when my kids were little.

If you choose nursing, go the accelerated BSN route. With your teaching degree you should already have most of your needed classes and you will come out ahead of the game. Many hospitals are now requiring BSN within 5 years of hire anyway.

Good Luck
Old 09-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet

I'm in an ADN program right now. While the prospects of a job are concerning (I have a bachelors already, but the accelerated BSN isn't feasible right now), I also think if you know what you want to do, it will somehow work out. I have heard that hospitals prefer BSNs, but every ADN I know has found a job…granted they should get the BSN eventually. I agree with nurses should get their BSNs after hire (like the teaching profession requires a masters within 10 years), but worry that the profession will become exclusive to those who can afford BSNs if they go through with the BSN only rule.

Honestly though, I've heard so many different angles ("it's going to happen"; "oh please, there's going to be a mass exodus in a few years", etc.) on that and I really should just ignore them and focus on my studies.

Good luck OP!
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Kudos to dedicated Nurses everywhere. .
I'd like to add a Canadian comparison. I've understood that our Government in their infinite wisdom; decided to make cuts in our hospitals. I've understood that the result of this has been our Nursing professionals work 16 hr days! (nursing shortages)

I feel this is disgraceful, I feel for our dedicated Nurses everytime I'm in our hospitals. I've been told they have no choice, (not-organized?); they may be replaced if they rock the boat, so to speak.

I'd love to hear this is not the case, if it is that a change in our Government may rectify this, and bring back a healthier system, one can only hope.
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #7
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Nursing and teaching have a lot of similarities. Both have a high burn out rate because you are giving of yourself constantly amidst many obstacles and extenuating circumstances that are usually beyond your control. If you have visions of sitting by a bedside holding someone's hand, unfortunately, that's not the reality any more than you have time to do that with individual students as a teacher. I mean, yes, you make time for it when you need to, but it's often to the detriment of getting something else done. And when you don't get everything done, you put yourself and your patients at risk. It's unfortunate, but things are crazy now in both teaching AND nursing. (Although many things are better than they used to be as well.)

With that said, I'd encourage you to think about a change in your current profession as opposed to making the jump to a new one. As others have said, jobs are tight right now because of the economy - a lot of non-working nurses began working again - and the recent health care changes that are putting major constraints on health care agencies that are causing drastic measures and belt-tightening.

If you decide to do it, I'd strongly encourage you to do the accelerated BSN.

I would choose nursing again. I've enjoyed it most of the time.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

If you are interested in pediatric oncology, go for the accelerated BSN route. In most hospital settings, you will need to be an RN to administer chemotherapy, access ports, etc. Our oncologist has both an RN and an LPN at his office, and while the LPN can access/draw labs from the ports (something the LPN's on our hospital peds unit cannot do), she can't hang the chemo.

I can't help you much more than that on the career change aspect. I went to college knowing I wanted to be a nurse and finished my 4 year degree, then when right into floor nursing. I have been working on peds since I graduated, and our hospital recruited our peds heme/onc MD within a year or so after I started working there. I was one of the first RNs on our unit to get chemo certified, and I love working with those patients! Our hospital is actually working to build an outpatient infusion center mostly for our peds oncology patients that I am hoping to transfer to when it opens.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Ok here is my advice, take it for what it is worth. You need to do a LOT of research on how the job market is for "NEW GRADS" in YOUR area. Don't just ask people who are nurses that you know. A lot of experienced nurses have no clue what is going on in the new grad market and it is very regional.And the nursing shortage is really not accurate. Hospitals want experienced nurses, not newly graduated ones. Go to indeed.com and type in "new grad" rn in your area to see how many postings say " NO new grads".

In my former state, in New England, it is very difficult to get a new grad job, and almost impossible to get one at a hospital. Most new grads end up in nursing homes, methadone clinics, and psych facilitates. The lucky ones that get hospital jobs are those that worked as a tech or aide while in nursing school. And those that were willing to move. In my current state, new grads are hired regularly and trained on NIGHT SHIFT, ADN and BSN alike, but into med surg and then after a year or two are able to transfer to a specialty. So depends on where you live if you need a BSN or Associates and whether or not you will be employable. Can you do night shift for a year? 7pm-730am and sleep days?

Are you willing to work night shift? Weekends and holidays? Can you physically handle a 12 hour shift on your feet? Can you lift, bend, pull, and squat? It is a lot on your body. Can you handle vomit, pee, poop, and other various bodily fluids being all over you? (I imagine as a teacher you can!). Can you go a long time without being able to pee? I cannot tell you how much nursing has aged me. I am sore a lot. My face looks a lot older. I have gained weight. I am a floor nurse. I work 12 hour shifts, mostly nights, now starting to get into days. I leave every shift completely worn out, hungry, beat, and feeling like there are a million things left to be done.There is so much stress and the buck stops with you. You are expected to catch the pharmacy mistakes, the doctors mistakes, the patients mistakes. You are expected to focus on customer service and play waitress. I am too exhausted to exercise. After working 3 12's in a row, my 4th day is called my "zombie day" because I just veg.

I would really not recommend this field to anyone. New grads are being offered 18 bucks and hour where I work (in the South). They were being offered 24 just 5 years ago. So the new grads starting out today will likely never make it up to 24 an hour that nurses started at 5 years ago. There is a "wage freeze" and no raises for the last 2 years at my place of employment, which is not hurting for money. The pay is going down and the workload is going up. It is all about the almighty dollar. You go into nursing because of the patients, but when you get into the field you get so burnt out so fast, and you realize that patients are just a number. The hospital wants them in and out so fast you barely get to know their name. Healthcare in this country is broken and I don't see it being fixed anytime soon.

That being said, overtime I get a hug from a patient upon discharge or a letter of thanks, it really makes me remember why I do it. But if I had a child I would NEVER tell them to do nursing. I would recommend going to school to be a PA or look into radiology. They have a much higher job satisfaction.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
SydSim
Keep Dancin'
Now, if she could just get passionate about remembering to put a period at the end of a sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
Ok here is my advice, take it for what it is worth.

Are you willing to work night shift? Weekends and holidays? Can you physically handle a 12 hour shift on your feet? Can you lift, bend, pull, and squat? It is a lot on your body. Can you handle vomit, pee, poop, and other various bodily fluids being all over you? (I imagine as a teacher you can!). Can you go a long time without being able to pee? I cannot tell you how much nursing has aged me. I am sore a lot. My face looks a lot older. I have gained weight. I am a floor nurse. I work 12 hour shifts, mostly nights, now starting to get into days. I leave every shift completely worn out, hungry, beat, and feeling like there are a million things left to be done.There is so much stress and the buck stops with you. You are expected to catch the pharmacy mistakes, the doctors mistakes, the patients mistakes. You are expected to focus on customer service and play waitress. I am too exhausted to exercise. After working 3 12's in a row, my 4th day is called my "zombie day" because I just veg .
I have to agree with this, unfortunately.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
momz
DIS Veteran

21 years of nursing here. I am now an advanced practice provider, so my career is no longer the drudgery of working the floors.

But...I put in my time, and so will you. Nursing is not a glamorous occupation

Nursing starts with meeting the basic needs of your patients. I started as a CNA at a nursing home. Lots of physical demands for lifting, turning, bathing, toileting, feeding...you will have to do this.

Also, please remember that people stink, they are grumpy, they curse at you. You will see people at their lowest, and it will bring out the worst in them.

That's the bad. For me, the good outweighs the bad. But I think you should make your decision with a full knowledge what you will have to do.

Wipe bottoms, change diapers on adults, clean and bandage stinky wounds, give people baths. People will cough on you, vomit on you, (among other bodily functions). basically, you will have to deal with every oriface.

sounds lovely doesn't it? Good luck with your decision.
momz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

I love my job. I'm an ADN prepared RN who works in the ICU stepdown. I just accepted a position in the Surgical ICU - I start in 2 weeks there (I'm already cross trained to that area, so I know what I'm getting in to - gun shot wounds, brain bleeds and accidents - since I work in an inner city Detroit hospital). The hospital I work in does not employ LPNs for any positions. They do still hire ADNs, but are preparing to try for Magnet status, so encouraging all RNs to become BSN prepared. The entire ICU division, and 90% of other RNs in my hospital only hire for 12 hour positions.

I agree with a previous post about the wear on your body. 13 hour days - my shift runs 7pm to 7:30am, plus getting there a bit early to prep for my shift, plus drive time = 14+ hour days, every minute on your feet, the population as a whole getting much larger, and being chronically short staffed = total exhaustion. Every shift I take care of at least one unconscious patient (rolling, turning, bathing, cleaning up stool) on someone between 400-800 pounds. Larger people = more severe health problems. It's hell on this 40 year old body.

We've had a pay freeze for over 4 years. I make 60 cents more an hour than a brand new, fresh graduate nurse, with much more responsibility. I am expected to train new nurses, be charge nurse on all of my shifts, do training on education days, "volunteer" for committees, etc. There is much unhappiness amongst staff with the pay rate and staffing. We have very few CNAs now...we have one assigned to our floor per shift. That means RNs do much more tasky work than we used to (vital signs, baths, clean ups).

That being said, I get a lot of satisfaction from what I do. Not every shift, but often. I take pride in what I do for others...families & patients don't often know, appreciate, or acknowledge what we do, but I like caring for others. Know that you will break your back, go above and beyond a lot, then be yelled at for what someone thinks you didn't do. It's a difficult aspect.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL

ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Also forgot to add that the previous posters are correct. Unless you have hospital experience and work in some type of role while in school, you will not get a hospital job. They want RNs with at least a year experience, or a proven bedside experience. I worked for a year on my unit prior to graduation as a Nurse Tech...which was basically a glorified aide on my unit, occasionally getting to do more RN work.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL

ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
zurgswife
WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is better!!!

I am a second career ADN who immediately got her BSN. There are very few jobs for new nurses and out of the 62 in my ADN class 3 got hospital jobs and they worked in the hospitals prior. 3 others had worked but were not hired at their specific hospitals. It took most of my class between 6 and 12 months to find any type of nursing job. Jobs were in LTC, Psych and home care.

I was able to get a job in home care after 6 months of search and continued with my RN - BSN. After a year I chose to move away from my family to accept a hospital job. I hated the hospital on top of being away from my family I was able to move home after 3 months with a LTC job. My job is 2 12's on the weekends (every single weekend a year) plus one pick up day which for my company is full time.

LTC is very difficult not fast paced hospital difficult but difficult in it's own right. I'm hoping I can make it two years and then try to find something else different.

All through school my ADN professors said jobs were plentiful. They were WRONG!!!!! Visit Allnurses.com and ask about jobs for new nurses in your area. You will get a honest picture. Plus great advice.

In Honor of Robin Costello I will miss you my dear friend.
zurgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Friend of a Mouse
Braille: To touch words and have them touch you back

Thank you for all of the responses. As some background, in college I worked as an assistant in a care facility for people with severe developmental disabilities. My tasks included feeding, changing, bathing,and dressing as well as monitoring. I oftten had to bathe /change full grown men by myself and dealt with every bodily fluid under the sun.

As far as **** work/holidays, my mother was a laboratory technician and often worked evening/nights/weekends and holidays. I am used to long shifts on my feet from working at Disney and now to a regional amusement park. (17 hour days of walking around are not unusual for me.) In those jobs I work holidays, weekends, and evenings. Between my two jobs currently I work about 60-70 hours per week.

My husband is very supportive. He understands my frustration. To a previous poster, I am in the KC area and would love to work at Children's Mercy. I have a student in the ICU there and have been so impressed when I go to visit. I have checked out the job market in my area and there are quite a few openings with competitive pay. I am talking to a contact at Children's Mercy to find out the best route to take to get in with them.

I do apprecaite all of the advice and will definitely consider everything that you have said.

Worked for the Mouse: 2004-2007 (Attractions and Entertainment) Polynesian with family: 2004, 2005, 2007 POFQ and Disney Cruise with family: 2006 POFQ Honeymoon: 2010

Book Challenge 2014 /52. Currently reading: Cain's Blood by Geoffrey Girard
Finished: Night Broken by Patricia Briggs Project Cain by Geoffrey Girard Independent Study by Joelle Charboneau The Customer Rules by Lee Cockerell
Friend of a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: