Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

UPDATE: FP Return Times being enforced at DLR! Trip Observations 3/31/12

Hi everyone. I upgraded my Deluxe AP to a Premium the other day and I went to DLR yesterday with 4 other friends. It was pretty crowded, but we got a lot done. Didn't bring my camera so I didn't get any pics but I'll give you my recap:

-Rode 28 rides from 8AM-11:30PM, including ToT, Screamin, Space and Indy twice each. Used 9 sets of FP, not including WoC.

-It was the weirdest weather day ever. Cloudy, gloomy and chilly in the morning. Then around 2 it got really sunny and warm. By evening it was cold again, and while we were watching WoC it started to rain. And it rained for basically the rest of the evening. They cancelled the 2nd Fantasmic due to "inclement weather conditions"

-There was a sign outside of DLR saying that MM was being offered every day this upcoming week. Spring break crowds I guess. This can be confirmed on the park hours part of the DLR website.

-They were only running 2 elevators at ToT, which resulted in a lengthy line all day.

-Ate at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta for the first time last night. The spaghetti was really good. Yummy meatballs. And the atmosphere was great.

-Roger Rabbit FP is still disconnected...didn't check BTMRR.

-All of the new construction projects look really really good. The Matterhorn paint job is so legit. Buena Vista Street is really shaping up, and Carsland looks incredible! This summer is gonna be an awesome time to visit DLR.

Ok, and now what you're all probably wondering. Are they still allowing FPs to be used late? Well, my plan for the day was to grab a bunch of FPs and use them later in the afternoon like I usually do. Here's a pic one of my friends snagged of me in line for ToT. This was a little before 11:30AM (we had already done 9 rides too)

I had gotten a Splash FP for 9:20AM-10:20AM and I was gonna save it for when it got warmer. But when we got to the FP return line, the CM kindly explained to us that yesterday (3/31) was the last day that they would be allowing late FP returns. We didn't get this at every ride we tried this at, but most of them, including both times at Space. It seems as though, today, the beginning of the month, begins the FP enforcement here on the other coast.

When I asked one of the CMs about the suddenness of this policy enforcement he said that the DLR executives were just waiting a while to see how effective it was at WDW, trying to work out the little kinks. Hopefully someone going today or soon can report back to us about how they are actually enforcing this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

APRIL FOOLS! Just kidding! Everything here is true EXCEPT the last 2 paragraphs (I really did go to DLR yesterday and used all of those FP). CMs at DLR have no plans on enforcing these FP return times. Actually I think I used all 9 FPs late and never had a CM say anything.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Mortimer Mouse
Keep eating that popcorn, MM. Keep eating it

April fools I'm hoping....
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR29 View Post
-Rode 28 rides from 8AM-11:30PM, including ToT, Screamin, Space and Indy twice each. Used 9 sets of FP, not including WoC.

APRIL FOOLS! Just kidding! Everything here is true EXCEPT the last 2 paragraphs (I really did go to DLR yesterday and used all of those FP). CMs at DLR have no plans on enforcing these FP return times. Actually I think I used all 9 FPs late and never had a CM say anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Mouse View Post
April fools I'm hoping....
MM, just read the whole post.

DLR29, 28 rides is stellar for this time of year. Do you think the gloomy morning helped hold people off?
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

I opened this thread thinking, "This MUST be an April Fool's joke"...but then your trip report was so legit, I started thinking, "Uh oh.". Sure was glad to see your disclaimer at the end, LOL!!

RE: the extra MM's...I'm trying to plan our May trip and have noticed that there's at least one "extra" MM on the days that we'll be there (sigh). We have AP's and don't stay on site.

Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
twopeasonepod
DIS Veteran

Hahaha that was awesome!

Love the pic, too!
twopeasonepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglemama View Post
RE: the extra MM's...I'm trying to plan our May trip and have noticed that there's at least one "extra" MM on the days that we'll be there (sigh). We have AP's and don't stay on site.
That is an annomaly. You maybe are getting an "extra" MM if your dates happen to work out right. On May 6th when there would normally be an MM because it's a Sunday, the OC Aids Walk takes place. So they shift the MM to Monday May 7th.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Quote:
Hi everyone. I upgraded my Deluxe AP to a Premium the other day and I went to DLR yesterday with 4 other friends. It was pretty crowded, but we got a lot done. Didn't bring my camera so I didn't get any pics but I'll give you my recap:

-It was the weirdest weather day ever. Cloudy, gloomy and chilly in the morning. Then around 2 it got really sunny and warm. By evening it was cold again, and while we were watching WoC it started to rain. And it rained for basically the rest of the evening. They cancelled the 2nd Fantasmic due to "inclement weather conditions"

-There was a sign outside of DLR saying that MM was being offered every day this upcoming week. Spring break crowds I guess. This can be confirmed on the park hours part of the DLR website.

-They were only running 2 elevators at ToT, which resulted in a lengthy line all day.

-Ate at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta for the first time last night. The spaghetti was really good. Yummy meatballs. And the atmosphere was great.

-Roger Rabbit FP is still disconnected...didn't check BTMRR.

-All of the new construction projects look really really good. The Matterhorn paint job is so legit. Buena Vista Street is really shaping up, and Carsland looks incredible! This summer is gonna be an awesome time to visit DLR.

Ok, and now what you're all probably wondering. Are they still allowing FPs to be used late? Well, my plan for the day was to grab a bunch of FPs and use them later in the afternoon like I usually do. Here's a pic one of my friends snagged of me in line for ToT. This was a little before 11:30AM (we had already done 9 rides too)

I had gotten a Splash FP for 9:20AM-10:20AM and I was gonna save it for when it got warmer. But when we got to the FP return line, the CM kindly explained to us that yesterday (3/31) was the last day that they would be allowing late FP returns. We didn't get this at every ride we tried this at, but most of them, including both times at Space. It seems as though, today, the beginning of the month, begins the FP enforcement here on the other coast.

When I asked one of the CMs about the suddenness of this policy enforcement he said that the DLR executives were just waiting a while to see how effective it was at WDW, trying to work out the little kinks. Hopefully someone going today or soon can report back to us about how they are actually enforcing this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Great report DLR 29. Thanks for posting. Sounds like an excellent time & solid touring as always. Can't wait to get your take on touring strategies after Carsland opens up.

Also good to hear about the pasta & meatball joint....I'm gonna have to try this place out.

Not for the faint of heart, but LOTS of info for the WDW Vet visiting for one or two days:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1975805

Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Evil! Just evil. Grr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound 109 View Post
Also good to hear about the pasta & meatball joint....I'm gonna have to try this place out.

We didn't have meatballs, but the pastas DS and I had with no meat at that restaurant was really tasty. Made right there in front of you!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Bummer, this is one that I was hoping was real. Honestly, the not enforcing the end times causes longer waits for both stand-by and the FP lines, as well as those that need special assistance in many cases.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Location: Stockton,Ca- the second most miserable city in the US!

just as I was about to yell across the room to my sweetie" oh my god the FP dont work anymore like they used too" I read April Fools ... LOL good one

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
tinksdreamwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
the not enforcing the end times causes longer waits for both stand-by and the FP lines, as well as those that need special assistance in many cases.
Except that ride capacity is exactly the same and just as many people ride. It doesn't make the waits longer until night.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #12
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingfast View Post
MM, just read the whole post.

DLR29, 28 rides is stellar for this time of year. Do you think the gloomy morning helped hold people off?
The weather may have prevented some people from coming. Fantasyland (except Peter Pan) didn't really have lines in the morning even though it was MM, although Space had long lines even in the morning (50 min around 9:30am). If it had been sunny in the morning, it probably would have been more crowded, but overall it was a really crowded, normal Spring break Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound 109 View Post
Great report DLR 29. Thanks for posting. Sounds like an excellent time & solid touring as always. Can't wait to get your take on touring strategies after Carsland opens up.

I'm hoping to go on opening day and camp out! But yes, my touring strategies will be all jumbled up once Carsland opens and also due to DCA's new operating hours and possible MM! Lots of changes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Evil! Just evil. Grr.

We didn't have meatballs, but the pastas DS and I had with no meat at that restaurant was really tasty. Made right there in front of you!
Ha! Gotcha! The other pastas looked really good too. I almost got the cheese ravioli. Also one of my friends got the sun dried tomato pasta. I'm not a big sun dried tomato fan so I didn't try it, but other people said it was tasty too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
Bummer, this is one that I was hoping was real. Honestly, the not enforcing the end times causes longer waits for both stand-by and the FP lines, as well as those that need special assistance in many cases.
Don't really want this to turn into ANOTHER debate on this matter because it's been extensively discussed on these boards. I was just poking fun at how much this topic has been talked about recently.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I am an advocate of using FastPass in the parks, and we often get one and use it later in the day, past the return time on the ticket. It makes the day so much more flexible. Rides at WDW like Test Track, Soarin', and TS Midway Mania run out of FP quickly, and distribute FPs very far out. On a summer day, you might pick up a FP at 10 am for 5pm. (and by 11-12 there will be none left). Few guests can tolerate the FL heat from 10-5 in the summer; but coming back in the evening is possible..... just one example.

But to have so many FPs as shown in that photo seems a little, well, greedy or something. I can't imagine all the running around to even GET all those FPs. I usually go to WDW, where the rides are linked and you cannot have so many at once. I know that is another difference between DL and WDW. And if I rode 28 rides by 11:30 am (AMAZING!) I don't think i would have even bothered with picking up FPs?

Maybe I am missing something. But glad to hear they are not enforcing FP return times at DL!
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

We often have alot of FPs like this too. I don't think it's greedy and we aren't running around with the sole purpose of collecting FPs. We collect them as we walk around. DLR is in a much smaller space than WDW so it is not that hard. And when you park hop you can hold FPs from each park at the same time. One of them is for Roger Rabbit which is not connected, and I susupect another is WOC (also not connected because it's a show) but I can't quit tell from the pic. And because he has several each, I'm assuming he also is holding his friends' FPs as well. So really it isn't as many as it might look at first.

DLR29- No fair tricking! I was reading this on April 2nd so I wasn't expecting tricks today! Yesterday, I didn't believe anything I read online!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #15
marciemi
Proud Redhead
I'm just going with what I said!
Guaranteed visible from the space shuttle!

Quote:
Okay, I'll say first of all that you got me as well! I was like "I'm going to have to redo everything for next week now!"

More seriously though, this is the second time I've seen this mentioned (MM every day this week) and I can't find it anywhere on the DLR website. This is where I'm looking:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/cale...ult/2012/04/02

And it shows no Morning Magic hours today (or Wed, or Fri). We're arriving next Tuesday night but will be staying by the airport that night. I'd planned to use our MM on Thursday, but would prefer Wednesday since we have a full day (we only have a half day on Thu), plus I'd think it would be less crowded since most people won't know about this if they do have it. Could you please share where you found it so I can use it for next week just in case? Thanks so much!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: