Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Sailorgirlkate
Earning My Ears

Soarin and Motion Sickness

Hi all,

From what I've read, Soarin is one of those rides (maybe 180 degree screen in front of you?) where you feel like you are flying through the air. Is this correct?

I get a little queasy when I go to those 360 degree films. Just wanted to know if I should be skipping when I get to Epcot.

Thanks.
Sailorgirlkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

Hi,
I have always had motion sickness in cars, 360 movies, and motion simulation rides. In fact i always avoid them. But, I can happily say that soarin has never made me feel sick, it has become one of my favorite rides. Last time I was there my family and I rode it 4 times in a row!

My dh and I are returning in Aug. for our first adult only trip and soarin will be on the top of our list. Try it you will love it.
Tpiejg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

Hi,
I have always had motion sickness in cars, 360 movies, and motion simulation rides. In fact i always avoid them. But, I can happily say that soarin has never made me feel sick, it has become one of my favorite rides. Last time I was there my family and I rode it 4 times in a row!

My dh and I are returning in Aug. for our first adult only trip and soarin will be on the top of our list. Try it you will love it.

Last edited by Tpiejg; 04-01-2012 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Double post sorry
Old 04-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
THEJOEL
Excited & Overwhelmed

I get motion sickness VERY easily. I had a bad case of swimmer's ear when I was a kid and ever since then I cannot ride spinny rides of any kind. I can't even look at the teacups without getting queasy.
With that being said I rode Soarin' twice last trip without problems. Now Star Tours on the other hand is a completely different story. WHEW! That one got me.
My advice would be get some triptone or non-drowsy dramimine. Dose up like you would for a cruise and enjoy the rides. That is what I plan on doing.
THEJOEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Tpiejg
Mouseketeer

Hi,

Last edited by Tpiejg; 04-01-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Double post, sorry
Old 04-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
luvthemouse71
Cries like a baby at Illuminations..

I don't normally get motion sick on rides. I have a brief moment of dizziness on Soarin' but I just close my eyes.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
kermit116
"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy."

I don't normally get motion sickness. I've only had one experience on Soarin' where I started to feel sick, and that was when I was in the front row (row A). I think because I could only see the screen and couldn't see the feet hanging above me (like you do when you're in row B or C), it felt a little more "real." I didn't really get sick, but just felt a little off balance. I'd suggest riding in one of the middle or back rows if you worry about motion sickness - I just think the visual cue of seeing other rider's feet above you helps your brain to understand that you are not actually moving (despite the optical illusion of the screen images).
kermit116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Funnily enough my family was just discussing this at the dinner table 15 minutes ago!
My inlaws are coming on this trip. My husband and his parents get motion sick. Mostly with simulators and not actual motion if that makes sense. My husband can do Soarin' if he has taken Bonine or something similar but he still ends up closing his eyes for half of it.
We were just saying there is NO WAY that my inlaws can do it. YMMV but if your motion sickness is related to simulated movement it's pretty bad.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
redlawyer
Queen Mac Diva

I am one of those people who always gets sick riding in a car, much less thrill rides. This year I was determined to ride anything my 4year rode. I was prepared with ginger gum and those stretchy bracelets that kind of squeeze the inside of your wrist. And it worked! I rode Soaring several times and loved it. I think I took things too far when I rode Mission Space, though. I was on the non-spinning option but that was still too much for me even with the ginger and bracelets.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
disney debi
Mouseketeer

Simulators get me every time. I don't get sick in cars or anything else but those simulators just get to me. My solution - Dramamine (non drowsy formula). I am able to do everything with no worries.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
sherabby
DIS Veteran

The only scene that sometimes bothers me is the night scene with the cars. I just close my eyes for a second and then it is okay.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherabby View Post
The only scene that sometimes bothers me is the night scene with the cars. I just close my eyes for a second and then it is okay.
That part makes me dizzy. It only lasts a second though, and it's near the end of the ride, so by the time it makes me feel icky, the ride is over.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I get horrible motion sickness in many vehicles plus have an extreme fear of heights. So it makes perfect sense that Soarin' is by far and away my favorite ride in all of WDW, right???

As others have said, the nighttime scene with the cars makes me a little dizzy, but I just close my eyes during that part (I swear it's not more than 10-15 seconds long). I think the camera is a little unsteady during this part and that's why I feel dizzy.

I have serious "ride anxiety" and I handle Soarin' just fine. I highly encourage everyone to at least try it out. I'd be shocked if you don't love it.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #14
DisneyDre
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEJOEL View Post
I get motion sickness VERY easily. I had a bad case of swimmer's ear when I was a kid and ever since then I cannot ride spinny rides of any kind. I can't even look at the teacups without getting queasy.
With that being said I rode Soarin' twice last trip without problems. Now Star Tours on the other hand is a completely different story. WHEW! That one got me.
My advice would be get some triptone or non-drowsy dramimine. Dose up like you would for a cruise and enjoy the rides. That is what I plan on doing.
I am the same way. I get motion sickness easy as well, like riding in back seat of a car and so on. So Star Tours is def a ride Ineed to make sure I take dramimine before I ride. But Soarin' I was ok. I almost feel like my stomache got a little gunny just because I got myself so worked up. Its a great ride, but I am also afraid of heights, so when you move in the begining I got a lil nervous. Its fun to try and find the hidden Mickeys during the ride, kept my mind off the height and sickness.
'87-Fort Wilderness. Oct'96-Wilderness Lodge. Oct'98- Beach Club & Wilderness Lodge.(Became a DVC family) Oct'99-Disney's Vero Beach & Old Key West. Dec'99-Polynesian. Sep'00-Caribbean Beach. Oct'00-Disney's Vero Beach & Wilderness Lodge. May'01-Wilderness Lodge. May'03-Wilderness Lodge Villas. Jan'05-Wilderness Lodge Villas. June'06-Wilderness Lodge Villas. Sep'07-Wilderness Lodge Villas(GotEngaged!!). Sep'09-Wilderness Lodge Villas(HoneyMoon!!). Sep'11-Wilderness Lodge Villas. Sep'12-Wilderness Lodge Villas. April'13-Port Orleans Riverside-Royal Room (Surprise 30th Birthday Trip)

DisneyDre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I cannot do *simulator* rides - STAR TOURS ().
Spinny things -Tea Cups () - can't even look at my kids while they are on it.
I even get a little in Philharmagic when Donald is flying through the town on Aladdins carpet...

But I have never had any problems on Soarin.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: