Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #826
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
You know I've never been to NZ. I was left behind when the rest of the family went, and now everyone else has been but me
Its all a bit irrelevant to the talk of prices I know....
OMgosh shussh that makes me feel bad i didnt book ds17 a flight and thats what he will be saying and let me so the prices that i have been looking at are that high i am rethinking the whole trip of course the fact that therre is no Disney there has nothing at all to do with my way of thinking
Old 10-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #827
hjd0411
DIS Veteran

I must admit I am dreading the cost of my next vacation - I am planning to go to the Boxing Day test in Melbourne..!!! I just know that will cost a bomb, and it will only be for a few days!! We could probably do Disneyland for a week for that cost!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

hjd0411 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #828
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying the TR so far. Looking forward to the rest
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #829
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjd0411 View Post
I must admit I am dreading the cost of my next vacation - I am planning to go to the Boxing Day test in Melbourne..!!! I just know that will cost a bomb, and it will only be for a few days!! We could probably do Disneyland for a week for that cost!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
We went to Melb in January for 3 nights and it cost us thousands. The dearest part is the accom and the FOOD!!!!!!

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #830
marvel
DIS Veteran

we wanted to have a break in Lorne for a long weekend, this is in winter mind you and they wanted nearly $400 per night, minimum two nights at a 'resort' there

Needless to say that money went straight to the next Disney trip!

And as for the food and drink, almost every time we go past a vending machine the kids mention that machines at WDW where you can get a drink for $1 or $2 whilst waiting for the bus at Blizzard Beach ! And even inside disney the water and soda is still cheaper than the food courts here!
marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #831
battymum
DIS Veteran

Everybody says that accommodation in NYC is expensive (and it is..) but I gave myself a little exercise to find accommodation inu the centre of Sydney that would fit our family of five. Nothing under $800, makes the doubletree suites look cheap at $400 per night!

To be fair, I didn't look that hard and I could probably get two rooms for less than that.

DH and I have a work function in the city next week and he wants to stay in, but I just can't spend $300 for a bed for the night when we can drive home, takes about 40mins. (Means no drinking though

But to any American lurkers out there - Australia really is a great place to visit!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #832
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by battymum View Post
Everybody says that accommodation in NYC is expensive (and it is..) but I gave myself a little exercise to find accommodation inu the centre of Sydney that would fit our family of five. Nothing under $800, makes the doubletree suites look cheap at $400 per night!

To be fair, I didn't look that hard and I could probably get two rooms for less than that.

DH and I have a work function in the city next week and he wants to stay in, but I just can't spend $300 for a bed for the night when we can drive home, takes about 40mins. (Means no drinking though

But to any American lurkers out there - Australia really is a great place to visit!
if you want to drink as we do at functions, its cheaper to get a cab home..may be $60..but that's so much less than a room cost......catch the train in, cab home
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #833
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:

DH and I stayed in the city back in 2007 and the accom then was over $400 a night.
I said the same thing to my DH about NY accom, if you compare it to Sydney or Melbourne the prices are not much different.

So yeah, any lurkers, Australia is a great place to visit, BYO tent
becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #834
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
DH and I stayed in the city back in 2007 and the accom then was over $400 a night.
I said the same thing to my DH about NY accom, if you compare it to Sydney or Melbourne the prices are not much different.

So yeah, any lurkers, Australia is a great place to visit, BYO tent
byo food, clothing, electrical items, booze, fags..
Old 10-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #835
battymum
DIS Veteran

Even camping is expensive, last year we paid over 700 for a patch of grass for a week! (And then left three days early, because it bucketed down for four days and was no sign of clearing! Came home sold the camping gear!
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #836
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Even camping is expensive, last year we paid over 700 for a patch of grass for a week! (And then left three days early, because it bucketed down for four days and was no sign of clearing! Came home sold the camping gear!
My DH knows I don't camp.
I imagine camping to be men with beards sitting around the fire toasting hotdogs, young kids wittling sticks into spears and women bathing the kids in the filthy river

Camping is not my thing I won't even do a day visit to see people who are camping...
Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #837
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvel View Post
This might sound weird, even though we are going to California in April I am already thinking of a trip after that to Disneyworld and where we would stay. Hence my questions about Bonnett Creek? Is that weird??
Nope, not weird at all. Our next cruise is Dec '13 and I'm already researching a group trip mid '15
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #838
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromOz View Post
No, not sad at all - my thinking is that you've always got to have something to look forward to. I keep getting little comments like "oh, you must be doing alright" or "you spoil your kids". No, we don't spoil our kids, we are teachng them that if you work hard and save your money you can do fun things. By the way, I'm a teacher's aide/ school admin officer and DH is a council worker, so we aren't exactly rolling around naked in our spare cash for fun when the kids go to bed!
You know, I hate that when I get it said to me The DL/DCL trip was the biggest and most expensive we've ever done (we usually camp in the middle of nowhere). It took me almost a year of non-stop saving plus cutting back on other things to achieve it. We don't smoke or gamble. I don't drink and DH buys a carton of beer every couple of weeks, we hardly eat out etc, yet all I hear is "you're rich". I'm sick of prefacing everything I say about our holiday (plus the next one) with "we're saving really hard...". I think it's all about making choices and if people don't like it then they should shut up.

Ok. Rant over Back to reading.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #839
australiankaren

warning Rant ))))))))))

so, I chase FF points thru my credit card, and after my epic spend in the last month have been waiting for my points to post...NOPE!!!! cause I went over my 50,000 cap for this year..so i am out around 8000 + points which translates to around 4000 velocity points or 50 ANZ points...furious I am

damn you Com bank and your crappy awards card.......

I'm off to look for a new card......I'll take my money elsewhere

rant))))))))))))))done for now...today was not a good day to give up nude dumpster diving
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #840
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
so, I chase FF points thru my credit card, and after my epic spend in the last month have been waiting for my points to post...NOPE!!!! cause I went over my 50,000 cap for this year..so i am out around 8000 + points which translates to around 4000 velocity points or 50 ANZ points...furious I am

damn you Com bank and your crappy awards card.......

I'm off to look for a new card......I'll take my money elsewhere

rant))))))))))))))done for now...today was not a good day to give up nude dumpster diving

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: