Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #31
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Great updates!! 50s PTC was discussed at my food safety training today and I told the ppl at my table that I've eaten there 5x in the last year. They were all surprised haha.

I can't believe how much the girls have grown in the past few years!! They are super tall now!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

It sounds like a great day at AK so far!! Love your safari pics!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #33
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Great updates!! 50s PTC was discussed at my food safety training today and I told the ppl at my table that I've eaten there 5x in the last year. They were all surprised haha.

I can't believe how much the girls have grown in the past few years!! They are super tall now!!!
Yeah, the girls are growing like crazy...we were at the cottage last weekend and we have a wall where we measure them every opening weekend in May and closing weekend in October. DH and his sister were both measured there as kids so the girls have fun comparing their height to Daddy's and Auntie K's at the same age. Anyways, according to the wall Ella grew 2 inches over the winter - she only has about a half inch to go and she'll pass Grammy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
It sounds like a great day at AK so far!! Love your safari pics!
Thanks Angie! I can't take all the credit for the safari pics, they are a combination of 4 different photographers - actually maybe 5 since I think Ella took some shots with my camera
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #34
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Day 2 continued...

After our exciting safari, we took a short break and had some fruit snacks that I had brough along, visited the rest room, etc. Ella decided that she wanted a baby Simba from Nana too, and amazingly enough there was another cart selling them just there.

We then explored the Pangani Trail, this was one of my must-do’s for the day as we had missed doing the trails last time. We saw fish

Notice how easy it is to pick Ella and Jean out of the crowd with their hats?

I still can't get over the bright colours of these

A bird was taking in all the activity

The hippo was under water - I don't think I've ever seen a hippo this close up.

Next we came across some of Timone’s friends

and finally the gorillas.

By the time we were done we were all getting pretty hungry. I had in mind to eat a Y&Y, then we could also get EE FPs and make plans for the afternoon (rain was predicted and we were starting to see the clouds moving in). The lines at Y&Y were pretty reasonable and we easily found a table around back. Again the grandparents could not get over the quality and quantity of food we were getting. I feel like I keep repeating myself but they were raving about the food every meal - I think that maybe they thought the first day we had just had good luck with the food!

I had a tentative plan of going to the Finding Nemo show after lunch but Gramps mentioned more than once that the map showed a train that seemed to go to a conservation centre…anyone I’ve heard of that has gone out to Rafiki’s has enjoyed it so I said sure why not. First though, E ran to get FPs for EE and we watched some monkeys play while we waited

Up next, a train ride and an awesome character meeting...

Old 06-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #35
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

With FPs for EE secured we backtracked to the train and off we went. Grammy took advantage of a photo op on the walk from the station to the center

It started raining lightly as we arrived so I covered the stroller in ponchos and we headed inside.

We were not disappointed, we spent a good hour looking at the exhibits and then Rafiki himself came out. The girls went over to meet him and he was delighted with their baby Simba’s.

This was one of the best character greetings we’ve had - the girls weren't too sure at first about the interaction with a non-speaking character but they caught on…luckily Nana thought to take a video, here it is

It was such a touching thing for Rafiki to do, it was a really great moment

You can see that it is not crowded at all in here, there wasn't even really lines for Rafiki and Pocahantaus (who we decided to skip as we'd met her earlier in the day) and people were walking in front of us not realizing there was a character meet happening. Before moving on Grammy wanted a picture too

After that the girls wanted to go outside to the petting zoo area but first stopped for a picture with this cut-out

The rain had more or less stopped, it was just kind of drizzling. We checked out the gift shop area where Grammy decided she was going to embrace her inner kid and buy herself a Minnie hat, Nana said well if you are then I am too, so I said I couldn’t be the only girl in our group without one, so we all ended up with Minnie hats As my title indicates, this caused a bit of a stir over the next few days, especially when we all walked together, people were actually turning around to look at us and more than one little kid said “Look at all those Minnie hats!”. Anyways, I think it was here that the girls decided to buy lanyards and start a pin collection (I’m pretty sure I did not tell them that people traded pins as a hobby ). Then they actually went out and patted some animals.

We took the train back and by the time we got off the rain had stopped completely and we noticed a definite decrease in the crowds – everyone must have run home when the rain started! We headed towards EE, but decided we needed to stop and get some pictures of the ladies sporting our matching hats!

Next time...the yeti derails us and we enjoy a parade!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #37
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
All caught up Pangani is one of Jasmine/s favorites!!!! Great pictures and what a great day you are all having!!
We were definitely having another great day - before the rain it was still warm but not nearly as hot as the day before, the rain cooled things down quite a bit and we didn't let it slow us down at all! It's great to have you back, looks like you've been busy this morning catching up on all your TR's...I'm sure you are in WDW withdrawal
Old 06-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #38
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great updates!! It looked like you had such a fun day at AK! I think we are going to try and do the trails on our trip now that we have more time at AK. Love the character interaction with Rafiki!!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #39
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Great updates!! It looked like you had such a fun day at AK! I think we are going to try and do the trails on our trip now that we have more time at AK. Love the character interaction with Rafiki!!
The trail was very neat to explore, there are signs and CMs on hand to provide information about the animals We still have the other trail to do next trip!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #40
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

I can't believe how quickly June is flying by and how neglectful I've been of this trip report It has been quite busy around here so I thought I would hijack the TR and provide a little real life update with pictures

So on June 9 the girls had their annual dance recital. This is a full day event for us as there are 2 performances, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. Here they are in the morning getting their hair done:

I volunteer at the afternoon performance, then the enjoy the evening performance with the family. Ella was in two numbers this year and I realized we never took a picture of her in her ballet costume so I took a picture of her "official" picture:

We also found out that week the Ella had passed her Royal Academy of Dance Gr. 2 Ballet exam, so we were extra proud of her!

Ella's other number was from a musical theatre class. They did the Wizard of Oz (condensed into about 5 minutes!) and Ella was the Wizard:

Jean did tap class this year, here she is with Nana & Gramps:

and some more family pictures...

Ella with Nana & Gramps

Ella with E and Auntie K (E's sister)

The four of us

The girls with Auntie K

So, the next day I had wonderful intentions of coming home from church, weeding my front garden and posting some updates here. Turns out the rest of the family had a different plan as I was welcomed home to a surprise party for my 40th birthday! Here are some pics...you'll notice there was a Disney theme

Surprise!

With my best friend since Gr. 2 (note the Belle balloon)

more decorations...a Minnie balloon

Nana & Gramps doing a speech

cake time!

The picture at the top of the cake was of me posing on a canon at Edinburghcastle when I was 8.

It was a great afternoon

The next weekend found the girls and I at Canada's Wonderland, a Cedar Fair park about 1.5 hours away from us. We were there with friends from church and had a fun day, but its not Disney - they have fast passes but you have to pay a huge amount of money for them, there is hardly any theming, and they don't know how to move people efficiently (took me 45 minutes to park)

This is us in front of the park's icon mountain - we look a little bedraggled as we had been on water rides earlier

We decided to be really bad and shared this for dinner

While we were having fun, E was at home putting in hardwood floors in our two front rooms with help from our Dads. They finished that up on Sunday and then we went to Grammy & Grampy's house for dinner and Father's Day celebrations.

Finally, this weekend we were away at our church's annual family camp, another fun time as usual!

Now, the girls only have 4 days left in school, all the activities are wrapped up for the summer and we're looking forward to having life be not so crazy for the next little while.

Thanks for indulging me in the real life update, we'll now return the TR!

Last edited by ellajeansmom; 07-01-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #41
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Still Day 2 - AK

And back to the TR...when I last left off, we were on our way to ride EE. Well, some of us were! Nana and Grammy decided to pass on this one and chose to do some shopping instead (although I don't think they actually bought anything).

The rest of us made our way to EE. Turns out we did not need our FPs – it was basically a walk-on, that rain really drove everyone away! This was new to all of us and we had a blast! Here’s the bootlegged pic

E & I considered going again but the girls weren’t up to it (they loved it but once a day was enough!) so we made our way back to the meeting place, stopping for a PP on the way

We found Nana and Grammy easily - just had to look for the polka dot hats! Turns out Grammy had been chatting with a DVC sales rep and I laughed at her because she had gone from "why do we need 4 days at the park, can't we just do 1 or 2 then we could take a longer cruise" to "it would be great to come back every year, this (DVC) would really pay for itself!". But no, she did not buy in on the spot

Anyways, we were going to leave the park but were interrupted by the Jingle Jungle parade...what could we do but watch and enjoy?! Here’s some pics

Once the parade was over we made our way to the front of the park, stopping for a PP along the way:

And so our time at AK came to an end, but the day was not over yet, stay tuned for our date with royalty

Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #42
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

Great real life update! The pictures of the girls are gorgeous! My youngest niece dances and we missed her recital this year because we were ..... well you know where we were.

Happy Belated Birthday I laughed out loud at your picture of you when you were 8 on the cannon at Edinburgh Castle....I have almost an identical picture!!! My dad was born and raised there so we were back and forth a lot to Scotland when we were growing up!! So cute!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #43
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Love the updates!!

Your girls look so pretty!! Happy Belated Birthday!! Aww...what a great surprise! Love the Disney theme!

Your photopass pictures turned out so cute!! I enjoyed looking at your pics from Mickey's Jingle Jungle parade. It looks like a fun parade!

Old 07-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #44
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
Great real life update! The pictures of the girls are gorgeous! My youngest niece dances and we missed her recital this year because we were ..... well you know where we were.

Happy Belated Birthday I laughed out loud at your picture of you when you were 8 on the cannon at Edinburgh Castle....I have almost an identical picture!!! My dad was born and raised there so we were back and forth a lot to Scotland when we were growing up!! So cute!

Thanks for the birthday wishes
I hope your nieces enjoyed their recital, my girls look forward to theirs and have fun even though it's a really long day!

I knew you would appreciate the cake picture , remembering you had a Scottish connection... My dad ( Gramps) was born in a small village outside of Glasgow and moved to Canada when he was 2. That visit when I was 8 was his first time back.

Quote:
Love the updates!!

Your girls look so pretty!! Happy Belated Birthday!! Aww...what a great surprise! Love the Disney theme!

Your photopass pictures turned out so cute!! I enjoyed looking at your pics from Mickey's Jingle Jungle parade. It looks like a fun parade!
Thanks Angie it was a fun party, I had an idea that something was going on but the theming and guests were all a surprise!

I was really happy with all our PP pictures (there are some fun ones coming on our MK day!) the only thing I wish I had done was have more with smaller groupings of us but as you may have seen on FB that's what editing is for!

I do enjoy the parade at AK, it is themed really well and is just different from your typical parade
Old 07-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #45
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Day 2 - Evening

After a fun-filled day at AK we returned to our rooms where we changed and freshened up for dinner – we had a reservation at 1900 Park Fare! It was drizzling rain again when we arrived at the GF so E kindly dropped us at the door while he went to park. We took in the loveliness of the lobby and the gingerbread house while waiting for him and the girls hammed it up for the camera:

I had of course seen pictures of the gingerbread house but the real thing is amazing!

Gramps made himself at home.

E arrived and we checked in for our dinner, we only waited a few minutes until they were ready to take our picture and showed us to our seats.
I’ve seen mixed reviews of the food here, and reviews that the restaurant was loud. We found the food just fine considering it’s a buffet, not a signature restaurant, and I think we had a good location noise-wise. We were in a corner across from the buffet just before the smaller room to the back, so we were still in the middle of the action but the noise wasn’t surrounding us.

First to meet us was Prince Charming. I had worried before the trip that Ella would think she was too old for the whole character thing, but considering the look on her face here I had no reason to worry!

I almost missed him but got back in time for a pic.

The ladies agreed that he was a very nice looking Prince!

Cinderella followed, she was lovely.

Lady Tremaine was next, she commented on how lucky the girls were but I can’t remember why - I think it had something to do with having both grandmothers with us. Grammy and Nana decided they should be in on the pics with her.

Moving on to the table beside us LT started asking a little boy how old he was and would he be interested in one of her daughters!

Anastasia treated us to her trademark smile…she seemed confused as to why we were telling Jean to stop smiling like her!

We told her that her mother had been trying to set her up with the boy at the next table so when she moved over there she asked him how many castles he had

Drizella was our last visitor. She arrived just as the Prince and Cinderella were making a reappearance after a short break,

so she said to Ella and Jean to watch this and she started waving her arms in the air and calling the Prince loudly. He acknowledged her with a slight wave and she gushed to the girls "Did you see that? He waved at me!!"

All in all it was a very enjoyable dinner. The grandparents commented that there several tables, especially those only seating two, that were adults only. They thought it was great that adults could come and enjoy whether they had kids with them or not. Walking out to the lobby after dinner we noticed the PP photographer was out by the tree with only a short line so we opted to have some shots taken.

As we headed out to the car, er truck rather, Grammy’s medication was wearing off and her eyes were watering again. I don’t remember now whether the GPS was not helpful in finding a pharmacy or whether we did not have the GPS for some reason, anyways we ended up driving around for quite a bit and finally found somewhere for Grammy to get more meds. By the time we got back to Casita 5 it was almost 9:00 and Jean was done for the night

...she tends to talk non-stop as she gets tired and you know when she stops suddenly, sometimes mid-sentence, that she's fallen asleep!

The rest of us were not far behind as we wanted plenty of rest before our Epcot day

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: