Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Day 1 - Sunday November 27

Today was our DHS day, and it was a bright, sunny, warm day (in fact I just checked accuweather and the high this day ended up being 81F). I had warned everyone that this would likely be the busiest day in terms of crowds as it was still Thanksgiving weekend and there was evening magic hours at DHS, so it was important to be at the park early. We had 2 immediate missions: obtain TSM fastpasses and get the girls signed up for the Jedi Training Academy.

So, how did we fare?
Everyone got up and moving fairly well – personally I had been awake since about 5:30, I was too excited to go back to sleep! Having the cereal and milk and oj from the grocery order right there in the room worked really well for us. We were a little later than I had hoped going out the door but only by about 10 minutes, and we easily found a much shorter route to the parking lot than we had done the night before.

The first thing Jean did after getting out of the car was to take this pic:

She does love her TOT!

We arrived at the gates shortly after 9:00, which was actually good timing as we missed the stampede to TSM! E collected everyone’s KTTW cards and headed off towards TSM

The rest of us headed in the direction of Star Tours. We saw some celebrities along the way

The girls were very good about understanding that if we stopped they may not get a spot at the JTA.

I wasn’t 100% sure where the sign up would be so I figured we’d walk to the show area and keep our eyes open for a sign. We missed the sign, so asked a CM when we got to the Star Tours area and he directed us back to the Sounds Dangerous building. Nana, Gramps and Grammy found a nearby bench in the shade while the girls and I got in line. I’m not sure how long we waited in line, maybe 15-20 minutes. A couple of times they announced which show they were now signing up for – it was getting into the mid-afternoon shows so I was mentally adjusting our plans for the day but when we finally got up to the podium it turned out to be the 1:30 show – apparently they had had some cancellations so we lucked out, that timing was perfect for our plans. They asked the girls a couple of questions to make sure they knew what they were signing up for and we were set. When we came out E had just arrived with our FP’s for 12:30.

With those tasks complete we were ready for some fun and thought our first attraction should be one that I knew the grandparents would enjoy

…off we went to the Muppet theatre! I had been a bit worried that the attractions wouldn’t live up to my memories but the Muppets did not disappoint, we all had some good laughs!

When we came out we saw the meeting areas for both Phineas & Ferb and Cars. My nephew is a huge Cars fan so Nana wanted a picture with Lightening McQueen and Mater. I think there were only 2 or 3 groups ahead of us and then it was our turn. Nana, Gramps and the girls went first

and then the rest of us joined in

We then moved on to the P&F line. They have a great set up here…the story is that P&F are on location filming a movie and they are meeting fans during a break. In the meantime the “director” is using fans to be extras in the movie, so he picks some kids and they play a P&F song and pretend to film the kids doing various actions to the music. When we got close enough the girls volunteered to take part in the Aglet song, which was funny because we had just watched that episode while eating breakfast! They also have a photopass photographer there for this part as well as the meet and they got better shots than we did:

Even though E is a huge P&F fan he didn’t join us in line but stood off to the side:

At some point the director turned around and saw him off to the side and instructed him to do the hula!

E does not like being the centre of attention so tried to wave him off but the director insisted…E was a good sport and hula-ed, thank goodness the PP got some pictures because Nana, Grammy and I were laughing too hard to take any:

They gave us slips of paper to take to Covers later in the day to get those pics put on our PP card. Here is a bit of the detail from the line:

It was soon our turn, the girls got their autographs and a pic

then Nana, Grammy and I joined in

We said good bye to the boys and saw that E had decided it was much safer to sit on the bench with Gramps than be up close to the action!

Next time…we board an intergalactic tour!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy-rella View Post
Love the pic of the group. Too cute, can't wait to read more.
I'm glad you're enjoying it so far, I am having fun re-living the trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #18
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Last time we had finished meeting Phineas & Ferb, collected E and Gramps, and since we were on that side of the park it made sense to check out Star Tours. I was a little concerned about the grandparents on this one…Grammy has a fear of heights, Gramps has gotten nauseous on virtual rides in the past and Nana has trouble handling sudden drops. We described the attraction as best we could, with the disclaimer that it had been refurbished so we didn’t know if it would be more or less intense than we remembered. All three decided they would give it a try. I think the posted wait time was 10 or 15 minutes and we moved through the line fairly quickly.

The group of us ended up in the back row of our transport, everything was quiet as we waited for the journey to begin when Gramps shouted out “Are we there yet?” That caused quite a bit of laughter! C3PO got a cheer when he appeared and then we were informed that there was a spy on our ship and the monitor claimed that the spy was Jean!! Darth Vader tried to stop our departure but we escaped and went on a wild ride that included Hoth and the Imperial City before landing safely. It was great fun and the grandparents had no troubles handling it. We browsed the gift shop and stopped for a quick pic outside:

And then grabbed some more pics on the speeders

We took a moment to decide what to do next before lunch. E really wanted to go to the Animation class and I wanted to see Beauty & the Beast, so we broke into 2 groups…Grammy and Jean went with E while Ella, Nana and Gramps came with me.

Beauty & the Beast was lovely of course

Both Nana and I were a bit teary at the end. On the way out Ella wanted a picture by the fountain like we had done last time

Meanwhile, E and Jean were enjoying their animation class where they drew Jack Skellington from the Nightmare before Christmas. Based on our experience last time with Ella (she got behind and ended up in tears), they had decided that Grammy would just assist Jean and not do her own drawing. This worked very well and they all enjoyed the class – I just realized I don’t have pictures of their drawings, I’ll have to post them later.
We knew it would be time for lunch when we were all done so had agreed to meet at the eating area on Sunset Blvd. Jean got some photopass pics with her favourite attraction while they waited for us:

Even though we had been under the shelter at B&B, Ella was starting to feel the heat. Typical of me, I forgot to bring our hats so as everyone else was starting to get their lunch she & I headed towards Hollywood Blvd to find her a hat – somehow Jean and Grammy ended up with us but Jean was really hungry so Ella and Grammy went on to find a hat and Jean and I scouted the lunch options. This involved some indecision on Jean’s part but eventually we were set and found E, Gramps and Nana. E had jumped on this first opportunity to get himself a turkey leg – he had been craving one for weeks! Gramps decided to try one too to see if it lived up to the expectations E had set (it did ).

I had pulled pork, Jean had mac & cheese and Nana had a salad. Soon Ella (with a hot dog) and Grammy (with a salad) joined us.

As you can see Ella was sporting a cute new hat. Jean of course immediately wanted one too. I agreed that she could have one, but by the time we finished eating we had to get moving for the girls to check in on time for their JTA.

Next time, Ella and Jean confront Darth Vader!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #19
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great updates!!

I was an update behind. I haven't been receiving notifications from my subscribed threads lately.

Anyway...I loved your pictures with Phineas and Ferb!!! Noah can't wait to do that meet and greet!! It looks like your girls had so much fun!!!

So glad to hear that everyone liked the new Star Tours! How cool that Jean was the rebel spy!

You got some great pictures at Beauty and Beast! Aww..I love that show!!

Nick was just asking me about the turkey legs last night because he wants to try one when we go. He wanted to know how big they were. I guess it's been so long...he can't remember. They look huge!! I'll have to show him your picture.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Great updates!!

I was an update behind. I haven't been receiving notifications from my subscribed threads lately.

Anyway...I loved your pictures with Phineas and Ferb!!! Noah can't wait to do that meet and greet!! It looks like your girls had so much fun!!!

So glad to hear that everyone liked the new Star Tours! How cool that Jean was the rebel spy!

You got some great pictures at Beauty and Beast! Aww..I love that show!!

Nick was just asking me about the turkey legs last night because he wants to try one when we go. He wanted to know how big they were. I guess it's been so long...he can't remember. They look huge!! I'll have to show him your picture.
Hi Angie,
No worries, I've heard of people having trouble with their subscription notifications lately.

The P&F meet was so much fun, the "director" had us laughing the whole time in line - it really made the wait go by quickly. P&F themselves were fun too, very friendly. Noah will have a great time with it.

It was funny on Star Tours, Jean didn't quite get what was going on because she hadn't been listening and we were all laughing. We explained after and she thought it was pretty cool.

I adore Beauty & the Beast couldn't miss. My parents were in awe that they put on a show of that caliber several times a day.

Those turkey legs are huge ...DH loves them, they are his favourite counter service meal!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #21
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Still Day 1 - DHS

Having finished our lunch, the girls and I headed off while the rest of our group finished eating, I would meet them at the JTA stage at show time. To pass some of the time I thought they were going to get a hat for Jean but that didn’t happen and I never figured out why – something about her picking it out herself even though she had said she wanted the same one as Ella. It may have been a worry over size as Jean has a notoriously large head (her hockey helmet is a size bigger than Ella’s!) Anyways, the girls and I checked in at the Sounds Dangerous building and then we just sat down on the floor with everyone else. It was nice to be in the air conditioning and off our feet! After a few minutes three guys came in with a video camera and microphone. They were apparently trying to capture some clips of people enjoying different aspects of the park for promo videos on the resort channel and it was great because it helped pass the time. I’m still not sure whether they were actually doing this or whether they were streetmosphere actors. Basically the guy with the microphone interviewed each of the kids, asking them questions about Star Wars – some of the answers were pretty funny!

All of a sudden it was time to go out to the stage, the “younglings” all got in a line, the parents gathered all the stuff and off we went. When we got to the stage the kids were lined up along the side of the viewing area and were given padawan robes. I joined the rest of our group in front of the stage.

There wasn’t a lot of people in the audience at this point but it filled up as the show went on.

The kids were ushered up on stage where they met their Jedi Master, who was very entertaining with his side comments and jokes. They were given lightsabers, practiced activating and de-activating them and then learned a sequence of moves to be used in a sword fight.

Suddenly Darth Vader invaded the stage, the padawans were gathered over to the side

and then one by one they battled Darth Vader using the routine they had just learned. Here is the video of Ella's battle (I hope this works, let me know if it doesn't)

Can you tell she had been practicing before we left from watching youtube videos?! In case you missed it, as Ella was leaving the stage, the Jedi Master said “and Darth Vader goes down to someone wearing a polka dot hat”!

Here is Jean's video:

Throughout the whole time a PP photographer was taking pictures, here are some of those:

The show finished with the padawans waving to the crowd and receiving certificates:

The girls had great fun doing this and we of course had fun watching them – E and I both got shivers when Yoda’s voice came on at the end!

The plans for this day most definitely included an afternoon break at the pool but before we headed back to CS, we had some FPs for TSM to use. When we got them out we realized that somehow we only had 6…E realized that when he got them in the morning he had forgotten to use his own card, d’oh. Grammy volunteered to pass and she would go buy Jean a hat like Ella’s while we rode. We established a meeting place and off we went. We had a blast of course – Nana and Jean were in the car behind Gramps and I

and we could hear them giggling away throughout the ride.

We found Grammy and Jean quickly donned her hat (that’s 2 Minnie hats!), then before we left we decided we should get FPs for TOT for that evening so Ella and I ran to get those while others had a rest room break…we did stop for a PP pics on the way back:

We did then head out to enjoy an afternoon rest and swim.

Next time...a fantastic show, a terrifying ride, and a time warp!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #23
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

Oh My! I've missed like 3 updates!!! They are all great updates though! Yay for the FP and Jedi Looks like a great day so far!!

Old 04-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #24
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Love all your Jedi training pictures and the videos were so cute!! It looks like the girls had a great time!

Sounds like you a fun ride on TSM!

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I got behind Lara...sorry I have been MIA!

Great updates and fanastic pictures! I especially love the ones of the girls in their Jedi training....so cute!
Not to worry, you know how far behind I can get! Thanks, they made pretty good padawans I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerbellLuvr7 View Post
Oh My! I've missed like 3 updates!!! They are all great updates though! Yay for the FP and Jedi Looks like a great day so far!!
Hi Megan! Yeah, I was really pleased with how the timing worked for the morning, especially the first half hour - it got us off to a great start knowing we were signed up for JTA and had FPs for TSM!
Quote:
Love all your Jedi training pictures and the videos were so cute!! It looks like the girls had a great time!

Sounds like you a fun ride on TSM!

Can't wait to hear more!
Thanks Angie! Ella did admit to me on the weekend, as she watched the video again, that it was a bit scary since Darth Vader is so tall, but overall they had a blast
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #26
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Still Day 1 - DHS

We had had a very full morning and early afternoon so we were on our way back to the rooms for a break. Back at CS, we found the stuffed animals having some fun:

I mandated a 20 minute quiet time for the kids before we changed to swimsuits and headed for the pool. Rest time complete, I took some pics on the way to the pool:

Nana and Jean lazed in a hammock while they waited for Ella and I

We all enjoyed the pool here, it was busy but not crowded, the girls did the waterslide a couple of times and the line for that was not long. Grammy went down the waterslide with Jean the first time – here they are coming into the pool

and here are a couple more pool pics:

Walking back to our rooms:

The plan for the evening was to ride ToT, watch F!, have dinner at 50sPTC then see the Osbourne lights. Here is Ella enjoying having both grandma's along:

By the time we got back in the park it was 5:45 and F! started at 6:30, we decided not to risk getting bad seats and to squeeze in ToT before dinner (Jean was getting anxious at this point that she was not going to get on her favourite attraction but she was not getting upset about it). We all grabbed some snacks and waited for the show to start. Here is E playing a game on his phone to pass the time:

We had told the grandparents that this was Ella and my favourite show and it involved characters, fountains, projections and fireworks and assured them it would be worth waiting for 45 min sitting on steel benches. In no time it was starting, between the girls and I we took a couple of shots but we mostly sat back and enjoyed

As it ended Grammy turned to me and said “That was absolutely wonderful, and more than worth the wait!” That made my day and I was able to relax that much more and not worry that I was “dragging” the grandparents around

Unfortunately we ran into a bit of an issue getting out of the theatre…Gramps had gone to the men’s room while we went to retrieve the stroller and somehow in the mass of people that is the exodus from F! we missed him leaving. We waited until no one was left in the theatre and finally went out the exit, passing on his description to the couple of CMs we encountered and telling them that we would be at Covers, right near the exit. We landed back in Hollywood Blvd and still no Gramps. To add to the stress of this, time was ticking away for us to be able to ride ToT and get to our ADR in reasonable time. Between the 5 adults we had 3 cell phones, of course Gramps did not have one. Grammy and Nana were not going to do ToT anyways so we decided to leave them at Covers to get our PP pics from Phineas & Ferb and Jedi Training Academy put on our card and keep an eye out for Gramps. Our theory was that he had somehow gone out the entrance and was over in Sunset Blvd, which of course we had to walk through to get to ToT. E and the girls and I headed that way watching for Gramps and sure enough found him out in the street near the entrance to F! I’m still not sure how he ended up there but we quickly texted Grammy that he was found and we continued on to ToT. We ended up not using the FPs as the standby time was only 5 minutes. This was the first time for E and Ella to ride as well as Gramps, here is our bootlegged pic, do you think we had fun?

Laughing and in great spirits we walked very quickly over to 50sPTC. Nana and Grammy were waiting for us – they had been successful with the PP pics and we were only a few minutes late. Grammy had tried to check us in already but of course since the whole party was not present they didn’t let her. Now that we were all here we checked in and some seats opened up in the waiting area

After only a 5-10 minute wait we were shown to our table. The grandparents loved the theming and Nana and Grammy got very excited every time a new show came on the TVs. Our server was great, she played her part but didn’t go overboard and recognized that Jean had hit a wall and didn’t push her at all.

Dinner was very good – Grammy and I had pot roast, E had fried chicken, Nana and Ella had spaghetti, Gramps had the sampler plate, and Jean had mac and cheese. Neither of the girls ate very much - probably a combination of too much popcorn at F! and just riding ToT. But we were on holidays so I let it go. I really liked how the rooms were set up here so that there is only 3 or 4 tables per room, it really gives the meal a different feeling than the large open dining rooms.

After dinner we headed towards Streets of America to take in the Osbourne lights. I wasn’t sure how we would like this, I know most people rave about it but I had a feeling we would feel it was over the top, and I was right. It definitely is spectacular, but it’s just not our thing…and it was crowded. We took a few pics from the end of the street but opted not to walk down the street.

The girls did think is was cool that it was snowing but that was it for us.

We debated what to do next…it was after 9:00 and it had been a long day. Ella and I had talked about her and I staying on (it was EMH) but she was beat. We decided to stop in Tattoine Traders on the way out as E wanted a Yoda shirt, and the girls ended up each getting a lightsaber. We left the park, found the truck and headed “home” and all went straight to bed. It had been a great day!

Next time, a day full of wildlife and royalty…
Old 05-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #27
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Great update!!

Looks like the girls had fun in the pool!! We love those afternoon breaks!

I'm so happy that everyone liked Fantasmic! We definitely think it's worth the wait as well. It's one of our favorite night time shows!!

Glad you found Gramps!! I remember what it was like coming out of F! People are everywhere...I can't imagine getting separated!

We haven't tried 50's PTC although I've always heard great things. I think I've mentioned it before but DH has always been nervous about the servers. Glad to hear you had a good one and she didn't go overboard.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Great update!!

Looks like the girls had fun in the pool!! We love those afternoon breaks!

I'm so happy that everyone liked Fantasmic! We definitely think it's worth the wait as well. It's one of our favorite night time shows!!

Glad you found Gramps!! I remember what it was like coming out of F! People are everywhere...I can't imagine getting separated!

We haven't tried 50's PTC although I've always heard great things. I think I've mentioned it before but DH has always been nervous about the servers. Glad to hear you had a good one and she didn't go overboard.
Thanks Angie!

Yes, the afternoon breaks are key to being able to stay even a little bit later in the evening - since this day was so hot the pool was most wonderful!

Gramps did give us a bit of a scare getting separated from us - you always worry about the kids getting lost, but we "lost" the oldest member of our party He was thankfully quite calm about the whole thing and knew we'd be along sooner or later.

I was very glad our server took pity on Jean, and we didn't really see any of the servers getting too carried away. I would guess that they're pretty good at reading people and figuring out who will play along and who is uncomfortable.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

Day 2 (Mon. Nov. 28) - AK

Today was AK day. The plan was to arrive by 9:30 so that we could hit character greeting at Camp Mickey/Minnie then see the FotLK. We weren’t too bad at getting up and going especially after the long day at HS the day before but it seemed to take a while to park and we had to wait for 2 trams at least before we could get on (people were pushy this morning ). It was already 10:00 by the time we were through the gates so we decided to forget the character greeting and head straight for FotLK at a leisurely pace. Jean took some pics along the way:

It was during this time that Grammy’s eyes and nose started running, although not too badly at first. We found our seats in the theatre, I think we were in the warthog section and settled in to enjoy the show. Some of you may remember that LK is Ella’s favourite Disney movie – when she was a toddler we would put it on to settle her down when she woke up from nightmares and she loved it so much we took her to see the full stage production in Toronto when she was just 2! It was of course fabulous and most of us sang along throughout (well I know I did anyways!)

When we got out I suggested we wander the character paths just to see how the crowds were…it was busy so we agreed to make our way out. Ella spotted Pocahontas though and "pretty pleased" to meet her, the line wasn’t too long so we agreed. Some decorations beside the line:

After only a 10 minute wait it was our turn, E decided to join us for this pic, hmm curious!

By this time Grammy’s eyes were really watering badly. Luckily, from past experience, we knew exactly where the first aid centre was and how helpful they are! I took her in there and the nurse gave her an anti-histamine and some for later. Grammy was surprised and impressed that there was no charge, the nurse replied, “No problem, Mickey wants you to enjoy your day at AK!”.

Continued in next post....
Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #30
ellajeansmom
Mouseketeer

We re-grouped and headed for KS. On the way Jean saw a cart and convinced Nana that a stuffed baby Simba was what she wanted for her present (Nana had told them she would buy them one thing each during the trip). We had a good safari, here are all our pictures, Nana and Grammy took lots since it was their first time riding and even though I wasn't planning to I still ended up with lots as well, enjoy!

Nana and Grammy especially were impressed with how close the animals were – Nana joked that we didn’t have to chase these giraffes to get cool pics as my brother did when he went to Kenya!

We were stopped for a bit while these guys took their time crossing the road:

The new baby Simba seemed to enjoy the adventure:

Next time, we go for a walk to see more animals!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: