Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Hong Kong Disneyland
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

HK Disneyland TR - inc. Vietnam & Africa

I'm back! And I'm now a Mrs!

We had an amazing time on our honeymoon, and enjoyed Vietnam, Hong Kong and Africa. But being a Disney forum and trying to get in before others make the trek to HK, I'll get straight to the interesting part :-)

I'll start with an overview of our experience in HK.

We stayed at the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel for 4 nights, and got annual passes so that we could go into the park every day we were there if we wanted to, except for our last day which was a Saturday and was blocked out. We did indeed go into the park each one of those days, even if only for a little while.

We both enjoyed the hotel immensely. Even my DH can never get over the Disney details and just how *well* they do everything. Meals were nice, but ridiculously expensive. We spent a lot of time just hanging out in the lobby, taking in the atmosphere while reading a book or catching up on facebook.

The park itself, yes it was small, but still very Disney! DH had enough by the second afternoon, but I could have easily stayed for another few days just taking it all in. The atmosphere was slightly different, I guess with the different customs in Asia. It had more of a 'fend for yourself' feel. There was lots of pushing in lines, and people spitting (mainly in bins, but still), which to me is just the most disgusting thing in the world. Of course, I'm only comparing to Anaheim where I found most people to be polite and courteous, and even friendly, with a lot more of a 'looking out for each other' kind of vibe.

Now, onto the details!

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR

Last edited by zanzibar138; 04-25-2012 at 01:16 AM.
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

A Long and Drawn Out Arrival

Our flight got in to HK at about 12:30pm. HK airport is like a maze, and it felt like we were going around in circles following the signs to passport control. When we got there the line was insanely long, but surprisingly, went fairly quickly. As we had nothing to declare, customs was easy.

The next challenge was finding our shuttle bus (which the travel agent had arranged for us before we had a chance to say 'no thanks we'll catch the train'). We found a pole with the correct number on it, that told us to go elsewhere. So we got a bit lost and finally found elsewhere. We checked in with the people there and were told to take a seat while they organised the bus. Ok.

It was at least half an hour later, after quite a few more people had turned up, that we were finally given any more instructions. We were told to 'follow me'. I felt a bit silly traipsing around HK airport after a guy holding up a flag. As we passed the train station I looked longingly, thinking if we'd have just caught the train we probably would have been there by now. After 10 minutes of traipsing we were told to sit and wait again.

In the time we were there, about half a dozen other groups traipsing after a guy carrying a flag all arrived and departed on their buses. After another half an hour, more action started happening for us. Random people kept coming in and announcing hotel names, and small groups would peel off and follow them, and take off in their buses. Finally, someone said 'Disneyland Hotel'. So we got up and followed them to the bus, and sat there waiting for another 10 minutes before we FINALLY left the airport at about 3:30pm.

Lesson learned... catch the train.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #3
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Uh... you have smoking rooms here???

We FINALLY got to the hotel. Bell services immediately grabbed our luggage and sent it straight to our room. Upon entering the hotel the first thing we noticed was the magnificent lobby, but checked in before investigating any further.

The check in staff were friendly and helpful. Even though our annual pass print outs said we needed to go to the park to redeem our passes, our check in assistant was able to do it for us. She gave us a whole heap of loot - maps, pamphlets, dining options, passholder information, hotel information etc, and went through most of it with us. Then sent us up to our room on the 6th floor (the highest up below concierge level). We were told to get the elevator all the way in the opposite corner to where check in was, so we dilligently followed her instructions, and found our room.

Immediately when we opened the door, this horrid stench started coming out of the room. We walked in to investigate, wondering what the awful smell was and hoping it would go away. Then I noticed an ash tray on the desk. The smell was making us both feel quite ill, so I called guest services to enquire about an alternative non-smoking room. She managed to find us one that was just being cleaned and said someone would be up in 10 minutes to take us and our luggage to the new room. In the meantime I had a little look around, checked out the view from the (non-opening) window, which was lovely. It overlooked the Mickey maze with the sea in the background, even though we'd only booked a garden view room. We ended up waiting in the hallway for the last 5 minutes because the smell was so bad.

We were eventually met and transferred to our new room. It had a lovely view of the carpark. But it had a balcony which was beautiful, and we immediately opened the door to get some fresh air.

Later on we figured out that the room actually overlooked the park (we just couldn't see the park through the trees) and that we would actually have a view of the fireworks.

I immediately went around taking pictures before DH 'ruined' anything lol!

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-31-2012, 03:51 AM   #4
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

The path to the magic!

By the time we got settled in our room, it was nearly dinner time. Of course I was pretty keen to get to the park, so we decided we'd go and see what was on offer for dinner over there.

My cameras both fit in my pockets, and I had my lanyard with my annual pass, room key, and ID (required for the first entry into the park). So no need for a bag which was very handy.

Here I am ready to go.

We decided we'd walk to the park as I'd read that it was a short walk and I'd seen the little path to the park from our bus as we pulled into the hotel. Now, where was that pesky little path again???

I got a pic of one of the chandeliers in the lobby as we were leaving the hotel. They were pretty impressive!

We also found another elevator that was MUCH closer to our rooms. It was the big birdcage style one in the lobby so maybe they tried to discourage people from going in there with all their luggage.

We actually turned the wrong way out of the hotel and ended up going through the carpark and towards the Hollywood Hotel. Soon enough though we came across a sign for Disneyland that was pointing the opposite direction, so we turned around.

The path was VERY quiet. I thought it was just because of the time of night, but we never really saw it much busier. I think for some insane reason that I can't think of, people just preferred to get the shuttle bus.

The path had Disney character banners on either side of it, and Disney music piped in, and it was a very enjoyable walk. DH was pretty tired by that stage so I didn't stop to take too many photos on that first walk in.

This topiary was at the junction between the path to the hotels, the path to the pier, and the path to the park.

And we got a lovely welcome from Mickey.

Now and then there were feature trees or fountains to break up the path a bit, and some of the trees had plaques with information about the species and where its from. It was quite interesting reading the next morning when I wasn't so rushed.

When I saw the famous 'Mickey surfing on the whale' fountain, I knew we couldn't be too far away, particularly given the sudden influx of people coming from the opposite direction (which I figured out must be where the train station was).

Lo and behold, we turned the corner, and were greeted by a familiar sight.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-31-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

First night of magic

I felt quite important going through the turnstiles as an annual passholder. We both got our fingerprints taken for next time (so we didn't have to keep taking our ID with us) and we were in!

We'd decided that we would take a ride on the train first, so we made our way to Main Street Station. Just as we were climbing the steps, a train pulled up, so that was pretty good timing. The trains in HK have 2 rows of bench seats, both facing into the park, with the one behind raised up a bit so everyone can see. And of course they have bits and pieces set up along the track to keep the passengers entertained. As we got to the Jungle Cruise, there were a few animatronics to look at, and we saw a boat go past too.

We got off at Fantasyland Station, which wasn't too much further along. It's only the 2 stations in HK.

Directly in front of us was Winnie the Pooh. DH, bless his heart, had remembered that we hadn't been able to do Winnie the Pooh in Anaheim, so suggested we go there first. I loved the theming in the queue area with the giant book pages, but it was our first experience of the pushing and personal space invasion which were to become the norm of the next few days.

As I mentioned, we didn't do Winnie the Pooh in Anaheim, so I can't compare. But it was a fun little ride. There were the special effects for bouncing along with Tigger, and sailing along on the river, and wind in your face in the blustery day scene. I'm glad I got to do it.

Next we decided to check out what we could find for dinner. The Royal Banquet Hall was right next to us, so we decided to go in there. I had a chicken curry with rice and tomato soup that was quite good. DH decided to try a western style steak which he said was a bit disappointing. The theming never ceases to amaze me.

After dinner we wandered back towards Adventureland, and ended up on the Jungle Cruise. It was just getting dark, and it was a pretty good time to do it I think. Added to the mystery a bit. I actually enjoyed this version a lot more than the Anaheim one. I think the scenery looked a bit more realistic, and it had a couple of updated scenes. The fire and water scene at the end was pretty good.

Next we thought we'd check out Tarzan's Treehouse, which, as you might know is on an island that you have to take a raft to. So we got on the raft and made our way across. The only trouble with the raft is that a whole group of people arrive on the island at once, and all go directly to the start of the tree climb. So even though there may not be that many people there, you all seem to be in the same spot at once. We enjoyed the view from the tree anyway, trying to figure out where everything was.

We thought since it was our first night, we'd see what the view of the fireworks was like from our balcony (the fireworks are on every night). We headed into the bakery on our way out to get some dessert. I got one of these Minnie chestnut chocolate tart things which I thought was quite good, but DH didn't like. I forget what he got.

The walk back to the hotel was only 15 minutes max. And once again, the path was practically empty. We got settled on our balcony with a glass of wine ready to view the fireworks. I'd figured out in the park that from our balcony, the castle would pretty much be directly in front of us, so thought we should actually have a pretty good view.

Unfortunately we realised once the fireworks started that they weren't actually launched from the castle, and were fairly well obstructed by a tree to the left of the balcony. Still, it was a good taster and we enjoyed it anyway. We were only wishing that they piped the soundtrack into the balconies (we later found out that they played the soundtrack on a specific channel on the TV).

After that we went to bed, to be ready for another exciting day.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Our second magical day begins

We had decided the previous night, that I would go to the park on my own in the morning, so I could feel free to look at exactly what I wanted to, and take as many pictures as I wanted. Then we were going to meet up for lunch back at the Royal Banquet Hall again.

In the morning we ended up waking at about the same time anyway, so we figured we may as well go to breakfast together. We ended up going to check out Walt's.

I took this photo of the door on the way out. I was pretty impressed that each door had its own proper little knocker lol!

Walt's looked lovely.

We both had the American style breakfast with sausages and apple juice. I had my eggs scrambled and DH had his 'over-easy'. The sausages were a bit different, and DH's eggs were well undercooked for his liking. My scrambled eggs were fine, but there was far too much!

After breakfast we split up as planned and I headed out to the park.

I took a few photos in the hotel lobby first, as I had wanted to the previous day.

And I got some more photos of the pathway.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Disney details

I particularly wanted to buy a set of Minnie Mouse ear hair clips for the day, so I thought I would just wander down Main Street and check out the shops there. I went to the Emporium first (where I got my mouse ears, and 'earmarked' a few other things for later!).

Coming out of the Emporium, I was lucky enough to catch the marching band, and hung around watching for a while.

I checked out each shop in turn, marvelling at the bejewelled Disney characters in the jewellery store (and getting annoyed by the assistant who was shadowing me), drooling over some gorgeous t-shirts in the merchandise shop, and wondering at all the tinned biscuits available in the confectionery shop. I took other pictures, but they all got lost when my laptop got stolen on the way home (I only have what I uploaded to facebook).

At the end of Main Street I spied the Plaza Inn Restaurant. It was our favourite in Anaheim, so I thought I'd take a pic of its HK cousin.

Then I had a chance to really check out the castle. As far as castles go, it is definitely on the smallish side. It has more than enough charm to make up for it though. It was lovely with the mountains in the background, and although Tinker Bell doesn't light it up at night anymore, it still has her pixie dust wound around it, which sparkles in the sun/moonlight.

It was odd not seeing a partners statue, but the gardens around the front of the castle were lovely.

To the right where Snow White's Grotto is they do character greetings (with princesses of course!).

I walked straight through the castle to Fantasyland, and thought I would check out the store at Pooh Corner, which is right at the back of the castle.

Between the store and the ride there was this cute statue, which looks just like a picture I have of Pooh and Piglet.

And this is the back of the castle.

Since I was close to our meeting place and time, I thought I'd just hang out around there a bit, so I took some photos of the carousel, and Dumbo with the mountains in the background. And, perfect timing, just as I was taking photos of Dumbo, several Disney characters got on! Mickey, Minnie and Goofy all had a go!

Just as that was all happening, DH found me, and we continued our travels together for a while.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 03-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Sharing the magic

DH and I both decided that we weren't hungry yet, so thought we'd wander a bit more before lunch. The night before, I had noticed Mickey's Philharmagic close by, so I suggested we do that.

I really enjoyed the show. DH struggles with 3D, but I think he enjoyed most of it too. I wouldn't have minded doing it again actually.

After that we kept wandering towards Adventureland again, which I get the impression was DH's favourite part of the park. We passed the entrance to Toy Story Land, and hadn't been there yet, so we thought we better check it out.

I actually found Toy Story Land to be underwhelming. Of course, all the Disney details were there. I especially liked the effect of the 'grass' being so tall. But it really did seem like a tacked on land with not so much thought put into it. The rides were very close together and all had much the same theming. And I thought there was too much emphasis on photo opportunities.

We weren't that keen on any of the rides there. We thought RC Racer would probably make us sick, and Slinky Dog was more of a kiddie looking ride. We wouldn't have minded doing the Toy Soldier Drop if it was a walk-on, but we weren't willing to wait half an hour for it.

We got a pizza cone from the food cart and ate that while we considered our next move. I wasn't a big fan - it was all sauce and cheese!

We decided to wander over to Tomorrowland, as that was the only part of the park we hadn't been to yet.

Along the way I took some photos of the Jungle Cruise (at the fire and water part).

And the bridge to Tarzan's Treehouse rafts and Festival of the Lion King (which was down for maintenance while we were there).

We found a cute little waterfall grotto at the back of Adventureland.

We went through the back way to Main Street, by the side of the castle.

Then made our way to Space Mountain. Which only had a 10 minute wait!

After Space Mountain I suggested Buzz Lightyear, but DH wanted something a little more sedate. So then I suggested the Golden Mickeys. So we went through the back way to Fantasyland, but unfortunately there was a couple of hours until the next show.

Still, we hadn't been to that side of Fantasyland yet, so I took it all in as we walked through and took some photos around Fantasia Gardens.

We headed back to Adventureland to try out the Riverview Cafe for lunch. I had a stir fried beef thing with noodles and DH had the Fijian fried rice. Neither of us were that impressed to be honest, but I think we were both just hanging out for some western style food by then.

DH was getting bored by that stage and wanted to do something else, but I wanted to stay for the parade. So we thought we'd split up again. And since DH was going back to the hotel, I thought I'd do some shopping so he could take it back with him :-)

In the confectionery store.

And a very cool model house, complete with Disney touches in every room.

DH pointed out this silhouette of Mickey in the Emporium.

I sent DH off with the goodies, and went to find a good spot for the parade.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Don't rain on my parade

When we were in Anaheim, there were no full parades on at either park (only the little Pixar pop-up parades), so I was pretty excited about seeing the parade, and wanted to get a good spot. However, by the time I had sent DH off with the shopping and started wondering where a good spot would be, there wasn't much left to choose from.

I was thinking it would be cool to get pictures of the parade with the castle in the background, so thought I'd check out the view from upstairs at the Main Street station.

Yep, good enough for me :-) I stood a bit to the side as there was a big gazebo right in the middle which I was trying to avoid having in all my photos. I was still early enough that I could choose where I wanted to stand (there was still 10 minutes until the start time).

Because of my viewing location, my photos are a little mixed up, as I took some when I could see them coming along Main Street, and then some more when the floats were directly in front of me. So for the purpose of simplicity, I'll just upload them here by float. I'm also very disappointed that I've lost all my extra photos from the parade, as I only uploaded a small portion to facebook.

Dumbo led the parade up Main Street.

Dumbo was followed by Mickey and the gang on this floating ship. The parade stopped for the interactive parts when Mickey was directly in front of the castle, then again when he reached the end of Main Street.

Mickey was followed by Winnie the Pooh and Co in a 'heffalumps and woozles' themed balloon. The second float had 'bees' on bungee cords, and 'tiggers' bouncing on pogo stick things.

I didn't see the princess float coming because it was shorter than the others. But I managed to snap a few pics as they came in front of me in this beautiful swan boat.

Then it was a jungle themed float. It had characters from both The Lion King and The Jungle Book on it.

Then there was a fairies float. It was just a little one with Tinker Bell in it, and I'm not that into fairies so I didn't get many pics.

After that was Lilo and Stitch. This float was pretty cool. The big wave was decorated with heaps of flowers, with the big swing under it.

And the parade finished off with (of course) a Toy Story float. I've lost most of my pictures of this one unfortunately. I've only got this one left of the green army men doing a bit of a choreographed routine.

I LOVED the parade So glad I stayed for it, and I was a little disappointed I didn't get to see it again.

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Last edited by zanzibar138; 04-13-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Congratulations Mr and Mrs. Sounds like you had a brilliant honeymoon.

It's lovely to see your photos and read your perspective on disney so far. Mine will take a little bit longer to get up to your stage. I laughed when I read your experience with the bus. We caught the taxi instead.

There were at least 4 other groups of travellers on our flight heading to DLR. Despite being the last ones out of the airport, we beat them all to the resort by a country mile.

Don't know how the train would work out; but it would definitely be better than the bus. I found the MTR so efficient and convenient.

Looking forward to reading more of your trip!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Just me and my Disney

After the parade I started wandering towards the Golden Mickeys, as I knew there was a show coming up. I walked straight down Main Street and through the castle, as I wanted to get some more photos of that side of the park.

I wandered through Fantasia Gardens. Unfortunately I didn't really have time to hang around for character meetings (they'd just gone for a break), but I got some photos of the topiaries and it was a nice place to wander.

I walked past the tea cups.

And thought I'd check out IASW. I didn't have a ride, just wanted to see how it compared to its Anaheim counterpart. The facade was very similar, but the landscaping was definitely lacking.

Then it was time to line up for the Golden Mickeys. I had about 20 minutes before the next show, and the line wasn't too long. It was definitely a lllloooonnnngggg wait on my own! But definitely worth it - the show was awesome! The speaking part was all in Cantonese with English subtitles on a TV screen next to the stage. But the most entertaining part was the singing and dancing numbers, which were all Disney songs that we all know and love anyway (in English). Besides which, it was somewhat amusing hearing the fab 5 speak Cantonese lol! There was no photography allowed in the theatre, so I just got this one photo of the entry.

After that I'd kind of had enough of being on my own, and thought I'd try to catch DH for dinner.

I saw this familiar face on the way out.

I rushed a bit on the way back to the hotel because I didn't know what time DH might have dinner and didn't want to miss him. I needn't have worried. I walked into the lobby and there he was reading a book. Turns out that's where he'd been the whole afternoon, watching the greetings with the princesses, listening to the pianist, and reading his book. He'd really enjoyed just sitting there relaxing in such a nice atmosphere.

The pianist was just finishing off when I arrived, and DH wanted to wait for him to come back, so we ordered some drinks and sat there people watching for a while. The princesses had retired to their castles for the night, but it was fun anyway.

My drink was a fruit punch - it was really yummy and it was a mocktail, so kid friendly too!

Once the pianist came back, we listened to a couple of songs, then headed to Walt's for dinner. I forget what DH had, but I had the butter chicken which was the best meal I'd had for a long time. DH did have a really good cocktail though - I think it was called California Dreaming or something.

After dinner we went back to our room, and watched the fireworks from the balcony again before heading to bed.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post

Congratulations Mr and Mrs. Sounds like you had a brilliant honeymoon.

It's lovely to see your photos and read your perspective on disney so far. Mine will take a little bit longer to get up to your stage. I laughed when I read your experience with the bus. We caught the taxi instead.

There were at least 4 other groups of travellers on our flight heading to DLR. Despite being the last ones out of the airport, we beat them all to the resort by a country mile.

Don't know how the train would work out; but it would definitely be better than the bus. I found the MTR so efficient and convenient.

Looking forward to reading more of your trip!
Yep, it was awesome!

I'm pretty keen on taking my mum back for a visit, and will definitely be suggesting we take the train.

I'm enjoying reading yours so far. It's nice to see things from a different perspective, and I'm looking forward to reading about HK itself, as we didn't really get there in the end.

I thought I'd start with Disney, but I will be adding a bit about Vietnam and Africa later if you're interested in those too (probably not in as much detail though lol!).

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Yep, it was awesome!

I'm pretty keen on taking my mum back for a visit, and will definitely be suggesting we take the train.

I'm enjoying reading yours so far. It's nice to see things from a different perspective, and I'm looking forward to reading about HK itself, as we didn't really get there in the end.

I thought I'd start with Disney, but I will be adding a bit about Vietnam and Africa later if you're interested in those too (probably not in as much detail though lol!).
I'll have lots of details.

I was surprised about your comment about the Golden Mickeys. I certainly took lots of pictures in there....no one said anything about no photography to my knowledge....just no flash photography.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

A brekky with character

DH had booked a character brekky for us on the Thursday morning at the Enchanted Garden. We had the first session which from memory started at 7:30am or something. The second one started at 9:30am.

The restaurant is on the floor below the lobby. You can either take the regular lift, the fancy birdcage lift, or the stairs.

Here's the entrance to the restaurant.

The restaurant was HUGE! There was seating inside and out, and it ended up being full.

The brekky was good. As we were accustomed to by this point, there was both Asian and Western offerings. By this time the novelty of having noodles and prawn dumplings for breakfast had worn off and I was pretty keen to get back to toast and cereal lol! I did enjoy the Mickey pancakes though.

We were pretty much finished our brekky by the time we met our first character.

A lot of people didn't quite seem to grasp the concept of the character breakfast, and kept getting up and trying to interrupt the characters at other tables. The character carers sure had their hands full!

It was quite a long wait between characters, as there only ended up being four, and there were a LOT of people to get through.

Next up was Daisy, which I was a bit excited about as I haven't met her before!

Then Goofy came along in all his chefy finest.

And Mickey of course!

Overall we were a bit disappointed, but I think it was because we got spoilt with our first ever character brekky in Anaheim, where we barely had time to talk between characters and got to meet about a dozen of them! For over $30 AUD, we were expecting a bit more.

Since it was still early after brekky, we decided to wander around the hotel a bit before heading to the park.

We thought since we were on the ground level we'd check out the indoor pool. Most of the time we were there it was too cold for swimming, so we never bothered to use it. It looked nice though.

The outdoor pool was closed for maintenance (as was the one at the Hollywood Hotel, meaning that any guests from either hotel who wanted to swim had to use our small indoor pool), but we were able to walk around it and have a look. We thought it was in a bit of a weird spot, kind of tucked in a corner out of the way.

We made our way around to the back of the hotel and found the Mickey maze.

k

There's a nice view from out there too which we checked out for a while. Over the other side of the hotel there was a huge lawn area that would be great for letting the kids use up a bit of energy.

We came out in what seemed to be a service entrance, and I kept telling DH I didn't think we were supposed to be there, but there were no signs and no one told us otherwise. We walked down the driveway and came out at the other side of the front of the hotel, where there was a big sign saying 'Staff only beyong this point' lol!

Where we came out was the conference centre and attached lawn area. Then we passed the shuttle bus stop on the way back to the lobby.

By that time it was nearly park opening time anyway, so we decided to just walk straight past and make our way to the park.

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I'll have lots of details.

I was surprised about your comment about the Golden Mickeys. I certainly took lots of pictures in there....no one said anything about no photography to my knowledge....just no flash photography.
Oh maybe I got confused then. It does tend to happen from time to time I think I would have struggled to get any good shots anyway without a flash with my camera.

I was extra careful too coz I saw someone get in trouble for taking video.

I'll look forward to seeing your photos anyway :-)

TRIPS IN PLANNING

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: