Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We were on a mission to Wizarding World, so we took the shortcut. As we went along...

I want this garbage can.

Pretty...

Our first two times to Universal, I was so overwhelmed that I had a hard time envisioning the place as a whole. Before this trip, I'd read an explanation of the "islands" concept of IOA, and realized that each "land" is like an island, all around the lagoon. it only makes sense that you can see islands from other islands, like Jurassic Park can be seen along the way there.

Even their small cafe tables are beautiful!

Finally, the magic place.

I hadn't really *seen* the "spell limits" sign before. I had seen it, I photographed it, I'm sure I even commented on it...but it hadn't sunk in, so I laughed like it was brand new, when I saw that.

DS had his wizard robes with him, and put them on. He got them during our September trip, and learned his lesson that they will make you boiling hot, so he didn't tell himself he'd wear them ALL the time this time. He also realized how much attention he gets while wearing the robes (not even adding in the wand and Scabbers (who he calls Max, since it's not really Scabbers anymore)), and he can only take that in small doses.

So this is the only picture I got of him in costume.

Poor hubby still can't do Forbidden Journey (though now that we've joined Weight Watchers, not only does he know why, but he's also taking action so that changes!), but E and I went on it, and it didn't make me sick this time. yay!

As early as I would allow it, we got magical beverages. We went inside Hogshead this time, since you can get a lower price on the cold (not frozen) Butterbeer if you have your souvenir Butterbeer mug with you. Caught a picture of the signs they put on the tables. Until you actually touch it, you don't realize it isn't a permanent sign, it's done so well.

Fake drinks without the flash.

Fake drinks with the flash. I can't decide which picture I like better, so you can choose your own favorite look.

I went crazy taking pictures in Honeydukes. We don't eat most of their candy (pretty much only the chocolate, since all the other stuff has corn syrup, which DH and DS cannot have) but it sure is pretty.

The bonbons have, basically, pop rocks inside of them. Or so a TM said.

Pretty.

Are these in the books?

These are my favoritest-ever-scrumdillyumptious treats. Wouldn't want to eat Hagrid's version, but these ones are good. Like scones with savory spices in them.

Haven't tried these.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

This trip, we finally managed to stop ourselves from rushing to Jurassic, and went back to experience Poseidon's Fury. E was not happy with this, but we reminded him that he had, in fact, liked Sindbad's stunt show, and he would probably like this.

Bwa ha ha, yeah, WRONG.

Sure does appear to be lovely from the outside, though!

This is a weird attraction. First, you wait. In a darkish, somewhat creepy, large, room. Then the show starts, and you're moved into another room that's even darker and creepier. And an actor TM comes out to introduce the leader of the expedition, who, it turns out, has disappeared while looking for something. Then the creepiness grows.

If you, or anyone in your party, is at ALL sensitive, either don't bring them in, or get them earplugs. Because it's hard to cover ears and eyes at the same time. At some point during the beginning part, the lights go out, and I think there's a noise, and at that point Eamon nearly leapt into my arms. You saw how tall he is. I'm barely a foot taller than him anymore, and while I do, for fun, carry him sometimes or give him piggyback rides (all just for fun and silliness) (and a bit for weight lifting, LOL), to have him LEAP onto me isn't so easy for me!

From there it only gets worse. You move from room to room, and it's rather cheesy with at least one well known character actor (I only remember one at this point) in the projected-movie parts of the ride. Some of the effects are cool, and I will experience the attraction again just to see them, like the water tunnel, but it's all loud and dark and scary on top of the neat effects.

I just asked Robert for clarification on Eamon's reaction to that first scene, and as soon as I said "Poseidon", E said "ugh, I HATE Poseidon's Fury".

You've been warned! At minimum, bring ear protection for anyone in your group who is sensitive. Turning down the noise helps to turn down the scariness, at least with Eamon. (and me)

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My camera's time is all off from the times shown on our receipts, so I'm having a hard time going in order. I think what we did was do Poseidon's Fury first, then headed into Wizarding World, but that doesn't go along with our usual "must use Early Entrance" plan, so who knows?

We had a very early lunch at Three Broomsticks. I ordered my usual potato leek soup, as it's vegetarian and delicious. On this day, however, it was very much NOT delicious.

The sad and pathetic thing about me is that, since my pregnancy with Eamon (which was filled with more food aversions than cravings), even a bad smell wafting by while I'm eating can absolutely ruin my meal. And if it's my actual food that is bad? It's really sad.

They have TMs there, helping you get seated and wandering around to help, and on that day the TM I chatted with happened to also be vegetarian. My first question about the soup was if they had made it non-veggie, and she said NO, that it's definitely vegetarian. She went back to talk to the cooks, and they confirmed. Honestly the soup tasted like they had used the old sink water instead of normal water or veggie stock. It was hideous.

I think she had either tasted or smelled it when she went back to ask, and she agreed that there was *something very wrong* with it. She offered to get me anything else I wanted. I wanted nothing else I could think of from the menu. She actually suggested I make a little combination of sides, since that's what she usually does when she eats there (and since she loves the potato leek soup, that's what she does often when on her lunch). So I got some vegetables and potatoes, and that's what I ate. I appreciated her so much.

As we were sitting there, taking our time eating, there was a family next to us who spilled something chocolately all over *brand new* wizarding robes. Worse, it was Hufflepuff wizarding robes. Why is that worse? Because the stain would show up so much more on that bright yellow, rather than the burgundy, deep green, or deep blue of the other robes.

The young man who had spilled was fighting back tears, you could tell it was absolutely brand new, and I was so sad. It was a very big spill, it went all over the bench and the floor. I ran over and grabbed some napkins to help them out. I also snagged that same TM, to point her in their direction, because I just felt like she could do something about it, something they would never ask for. And...she did. She ended up taking them out of the restaurant and over to the shop to get new robes. I tell you, I teared up when I realized what she was doing for them. I also put in a HUGE thanks at guest relations for her and her manager (who stopped by to make sure my replacement food was decent and was SO nice).

That family left, and another family sat down at that table. And quickly discovered the spill, which we had TRIED to tell another TM about, but that TM didn't clean up quite enough. The mother of the new family got the spill all over the legs of her shorts, because her legs were against the "down" part of the bench, if that makes any sense. She was not exactly happy. I let them know (YES YES YES I'm a total busybody!) about the spill, and the same manager that had known about my soup situation went over to help them out (he also knew about the spill and was aghast to find it wasn't totally cleaned up, but really, who knew there was SO MUCH of a spill? it covered quite a lot of ground). As we talked, the lady at the table heard us talking about the soup, tasted hers, and agreed that it was terrible. So she was taken care of, too, food wise.

The rest of our stay, we avoided the Three Broomsticks, because the horrid soup messed with my head that much.

But that was OK, because we got to discover the veggie burgers at Richter's instead! (now on future trips, assuming the soup is fixed, I'm imagining both the soup and the veggie burger at the same meal...mmmmmm)

So that was my busybody lunch with the fabulous TM and her manager.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

After that, we headed to Seuss.

After the carousel ride, there's a little place where you can hear the story of the Lorax. I was well outside the ride and used my zoom, and had NO idea what he was doing here.

We rode Cat in the Hat, and they rode this ride.

And that's the last picture I have of the 11th.

I have a receipt from later that afternoon at Whole Foods (which is really close to Universal!), but other than that, who knows what happened?

Ah, it's so fun to reconstruct trips like this, 3 months later, isn't it?

Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Feb 12th.

On this day, we headed east. My family (aunt, her daughter/my cousin, and cousin's family) lives in/near Daytona, and they have all just moved into a nice big house together. They aren't ready to be Universal people (yet), and their WDW passes had expired, so we decided that visiting them would be super-awesome!

We headed on out for a drive we'd never taken. On the way we stopped for Panera. This is before I started studying their nutritional information and putting it into the context of Weight Watchers. That day I had one bear claw, which is the equivalent to half of my daily allotted points. And it was NOT worth it. Yeehaw.

It was a lovely visit and a decent drive, and we had tasty pizza for dinner and fun conversation all day! We stayed far later than we had anticipated, and it got VERY cold while we were there (otherwise I would have forced them to take me to a beach!), so I was shivering in my shorts. At last our nice visit was done with, the kids were sad, but we all said goodbye and we headed on back to our resort.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

February 13th!

It was so hard to be there with them teasing us like this!

I can't wait for our next trip, to experience Despicable Me!

Our first ride was Shrek 4D. While in line I really read the posters...

Was this in line? Where was this?

The TM doing the pre show for Shrek was the same guy we've gotten a few other times. I hope he's not getting bored, because he's funny.

Still love that ride!

Later, I found neat pins as we walked towards what we'll just call Barneyland, LOL.

See? Barney.

Robert had woken up on the wrong side of bed, and went off in search of an ibuprofen and some cold water. E played in the Fievel area, keeping out of the water (he's not into being randomly soaking wet unless he knows there are other clothes readily available) for the most part. I think he stuck his head in water, but kept the rest of him out.

Robert joined us later, and E insisted we see Barney. And we did. At this point I'm truly not sure if the Kid really LIKES Barney (he is almost 8 after all) or if he does it just because Robert hates Barney so much... Either way, he has a GREAT time.

This sign is so pretty. I'm not sure if it comes through in the picture, but I'm throwing it here anyway.

The water area of that playground still hasn't really been used by us, but Eamon and Robert sure do love the ball play area hidden back there!

ET was ridden, and then E experienced the tasty and delicious (or so he says) cheese pizza at Kidzone Pizza. He had no interest in the veggie burgers that were on the agenda for the adults, so we dined at separate times.

The veggie burgers at Richters are SO good. I love them with onions. mmmmmmmm.

It's funny to think about, while at home, while doing the Weight Watchers program and learning to eat better, but even while NOT doing WW, when we go on our WDW/Universal vacations, we lose weight. All the walking and getting up early and all of that, no matter what we have eaten, we lose. So we have no fear that on our next trip out there, we'll be able to dine and not destroy our progress.

And so, from Tacoma, while thinking of a future trip to Universal, I'm SO getting more veggie burgers (and if you're wondering "what's so bad about veggie burgers?" I'll tell you...it's the mayo and the bun and the cheese and the fries) and fries.

On this trip, we backtracked a LOT. We had been at ET, we went over to San Francisco, then we went back over to Simpsons and MIB. This isn't the optimal touring plan, but then, staying onsite while going at less popular times of the year means you don't *have to* optimize your touring plan!

What it DID do was hurt my feet and legs. It was this trip that finally truly got me to the point where, when we got home, I knew I had to change something. We got home on the 16th, I think, and I joined WW on the 21st. I was sick and tired of it all. To *have to* soak, at least my feet, in epsom salts *every night*? To have had my first night of our December 2010 stay at AKL ruined, to cry myself to sleep in pain, because we were put in an HA room without a tub in which to soak? No, this is enough! I knew I had to change something, and changing my weight was the first step.

Some say vacations aren't *important*. I say, our vacations have taught us things about our health that we would not have figured out without the trips.

After doing MIB a few times, I bought myself a souvenir, a black with pink letters Universal zip up sweatshirt/hoodie. I was so upset because of the size I needed, but now, it's getting loose on me. How neat is that? And I love the hoodie, it's soft and warm and makes me happy. I'll be even happier when I get to replace it with a smaller size.

More pictures in the next post.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

From right to left:

Once we felt that the Studios had been covered that day, we went over to IOA in search of some butterbeers.

Snagged some more pictures of IOA, too.

This one's in Seuss:

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Got the libations.

Florida sky, ever changing, these are 2ish minutes apart....

Still haven't eaten at Mythos, but we will at some point.

This is a picture of something that is, as far as I know, completely use-free. Just decoration.

The top of the carousel.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Going back to the hotel as the sun starts to fade...I might not have ever been to Italy, but I can't help but think that the hotel designers might have gotten it right. Even if not, it sure was pretty.

That night we wanted pizza and salad from Sal's. We've had up and down service from them, but this night was ridiculous. We were all hungry. We didn't want to eat while there. We wanted to wait outside for our to-go order.

We waited an HOUR. With no crowd. This had happened before, with order after order being taken out to others, while we waited and waited. The last time it happened, they compensated us for our time with a free cookie, but we weren't entirely sure if we had been slightly out of line, or if they had forgotten us.

This time? They had forgotten us. We sat outside, with our number on the table. We were directly in front of the door. I went in once, just to check on the pizza, chat a little bit, I was friendly, but I did tell them our number, to sort of give them a head's up that we were waiting.

The next time I went in, it wasn't pretty. Not because of my behavior, but because of what had happened.

They had made our half cheese, half cheese/olive, pizza, and put it in a box and had given it to someone else. Who had walked out of Sal's, right in front of us, gotten to their room, found out it wasn't their pizza. Had called, had gotten a new pizza. And NO ONE checked to see who had ordered that pizza, and if they had gotten it.

I worked in a pizza place from after HS graduation, then through college. All the way through college. I know mistakes can happen. But when one mistake happens, you CHECK. And you stay aware of who is sitting in your restaurant seating area, and you make sure no one is sitting there for an HOUR, with no food, on a NON busy evening. And if someone comes in and talks about their simple order and gives you their order number...you CHECK ON IT.

We were SO hungry, and we were absolutely livid. And because I'd worked in food service until I was done with grad school, I have NO idea how they could have let this slip by.

They comped the pizza. They said they'd bring it up.

They brought it up.

They brought up a small, and we'd ordered a large.

They then doubted us. They brought us another, but they were verbally rude and didn't believe that we'd gotten a small.

When they brought up the other pizza, we put a slice of the other onto the new pizza, and the new pizza was bigger than the old.

They gave our pizza away, never checked on us, didn't check up when they knew we had a concern, didn't figure out what other mistakes had been made when they found out about their initial mistake, then they made us the wrong sized pizza.

The server who had taken our initial order was the ONLY one who remained empathetic. Everyone else had gotten rude, like we were stealing from them.

Their cheese pizza is SO good, their very simple garden type salad is absolutely delicious.

But...we have no idea if we're ever going to subject ourselves to their iffy and slapdash service again.

Darn that Sal's.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #25
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Swimming!

I can't tell you exactly when we went swimming, but you probably don't care anyway, not about that.

What IS important is that...swimming was pleasant, but also chilly. February, you know.

It's hard to watch a dive-in movie when it's like 50 degrees outside. The water might be warm, but you can't move around, or you get the wet parts of you out into the water, and then you're cold. If you get any of your head wet, you're toast b/c you won't get warm again.

We felt comfier with Eamon using hot tubs this trip, feeling that he would tell us if he got overheated, and he did. If you get warm enough, you can sit up out of the water, and still stay warm...something we discovered.

If a hot tub doesn't feel like it's really hot, even on a cold day, yeah, that one's not working! Time to move! Discovered that, too.

The villa pool was *wonderful*. Some nice, proper, swimming can be done there. And they have both a hot tub AND a colder plunge pool. If you can, I highly recommend going in the cold and then into the hot. The hot is so much hotter when you do that, IF you can stand the cold. Even Eamon did it! He *loved* doing it.

Someday it would be nice to go during a time where swimming is actually *pleasant*. No love bugs and no freezing cold.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

February 14th!

Universal has wake-up calls too. At Disneyland, E gets a call from Mickey. At WDW he gets woken up by Stitch. At Universal, it's Spiderman and Blue Man Group (and maybe Cat in the Hat). Obviously, he was already awake for this one.

And that's about as animated as he gets in the morning, LOL. Took us 3 years of calls at Disneyland resorts to find out what Mickey had said, since E was always so tired when he got the calls.

This morning we got out in time, we were in line for the boat, and realized that someone had forgotten something. Despite my shrimpy leg length (or perhaps because of it, since I have to scurry after taller people) I tend to be the fastest, and I knew where whatever it was was in the room. As I got to the building, the boat was on its way. But I had told them to go ahead and do as much as they could do, and I'd meet them!

I got whatever it was, and decided that waiting for boats was boring, and I chose to walk in.

It didn't feel like the right time to see if I could remember the shortcut through the Hard Rock parking lot, so I just followed the path.

(crouching tiger hidden dragon....)

From the first picture to the last took 8 minutes, and obviously I wasn't focusing on a power-walk. It was a lovely walk, very pleasant. Made longer by the fact that we were actually going to IOA, and therefore had to pass by the other park's gates.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

As I walked briskly to Wizarding World, this struck my fancy.

As did this.

(off to google "star off contraption")
(read about the Sneetches...wow, that story got worrisome there, but had a happy ending, although that Sylvester guy made out like a bandit! and now I know what a star-off contraption is)

And on into Wizarding World! Forbidden Journey happened. Eamon rode Hippogriff approximately 18,000 times by himself.
Shopping happened (this is up above, using the camera's zoom, in one of the shops).

Wow it gets busy in the owlery.

And I...I...rode Dragon Challenge, by myself! (you will notice that it's one of the only rides E is not tall enough, if you looked at his pictures in front of the height things)

I was so so so so nervous, I was so scared! And as soon as I got locked in and we went up, the whole time I was thinking to myself (screaming in my head) "omg what am I doing, WHAT AM I DOING, I have a child, what am I DOING?????!!!!!!!!"

Yeah...I did not enjoy that ride all that much.

On the other hand, when I did not die a horrible death, being dashed to the ground...I was extremely proud of myself.

But rather shaky.

Libations were much needed. Rock cakes were purchased. Drinkies were, too.

Here's a cold Butterbeer, a Pumpkin Fizz, and a frozen Butterbeer, from left to right.

The pumpkin fizz was good, but not as good as the Butterbeer. I could have dealt with *less* of it, too. Could have used some rum in it, too, or at least some vodka. However, I don't do well with booze and theme parks! I get surly and dizzy and just want to go sit down and grumble. So I'm glad they don't serve a boozey fizz!

Here are some more pictures involving our beverages.

Here's the garbage can in the outside seating area behind Hogshead. It's near that "winged creatures" sign I posted earlier, but I didn't even notice the garbage can when I took the sign picture.

How do you get butter beer foam in your eyebrow?

Or your hair?

Hate to stop in the middle of a day, but I think I'll sign off for now! Tomorrow *should* see more of the story, and probably will see us through the end of the trip!

As a teaser....

Old 05-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #28
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

i'm reading your posts for this evening but the pictures aren't showing up.

i think they are invisible right now............

maybe they will show up if i sign off and back on.

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #29
macraven
Proud Redhead
Has the longest test on record
Iím a Universal Homie

Location: between milwaukee and chicago (in Tom Felton's house)

ok, now they are loading

macraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #30
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

How weird that they weren't loading! Glad they are showing up now...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: