Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #241
mzozzietj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriverl View Post
I don't know what I am doing wrong!! I'm trying for Alamo. My dates are Nov 29 to Dec 9. No matter what coupons or id's I try I always get the same rate?? It says $405 for compact every time with no codes and with codes. Please help!!
I tried your dates as well and it is crazy how high it is. What about picking up the car a couple days later or dropping off a couple days early on-site someplace? Our rates were drastically less picking up on 12/1 so it's like those extra 2 days more than double your costs. Another option would be two reservations but you'd have to go back to drop off/pick up. If it's a difference of a couple hundred dollars it might be worth the time though.

Have you compared onsite prices as well instead of the airport? We never do because we're lugging a car seat for the plane trip so we prefer to pick up at the airport, but I thought I'd mention as an idea. Maybe picking up onsite on 12/1 and drop off at the airport or some variation will be reasonable.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #242
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyrm View Post
Just planned a "spur of the moment" trip for 12/16 - 12/20. Looked at car rental prices. Ouch. Of course, I booked for Sun - Thurs to not have to pay "weekend" hotel rates at WDW, but almost all coupons and other specials require a Saturday night stay. This happened last trip in late April, but got a code/discount at the last minute with Dollar. Hope the same happens this trip!
Payless has a Compact for $126 with taxes.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #243
livie1205
DIS Veteran

I got a midsize for 10 days through dollar for 170.00 with a code off mousesavers for dec.I relized it was not always cheaper to pick up and return at the same time and it saved me a days rental.
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #244
tripletsmama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by livie1205
I got a midsize for 10 days through dollar for 170.00 with a code off mousesavers for dec.I relized it was not always cheaper to pick up and return at the same time and it saved me a days rental.
I was wondering about that. When they ask what time you're picking up and dropping off, are there certain times that generally give you a better rate?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #245
livie1205
DIS Veteran

Well, I always use to pick up and drop off at the same time but it was a pain, we like to pick up early but it was a pain to drop off early so I started putting pick up 6:30 am then drop off 6:30 pm so we did not have to get up at get the car back and was surprised that it did not cost more to do.I dont know about all rental places but with the dollar here it works out great.we are renting for 10 days so I was expecting to pay ALOT but I ended up getting it for under 200.00! I have a mini van but really only needed a smaller car so I rent to save on gas and wear and tear for my van.
livie1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #246
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Advantage has great rates...I just got a rate of 130.75 for Dec 7-16 medium car- my previous rate was 124.00 for a tinier car....
well,this is definitely cheaper than shuttles or taxis....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #247
schriverl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzozzietj View Post
I tried your dates as well and it is crazy how high it is. What about picking up the car a couple days later or dropping off a couple days early on-site someplace? Our rates were drastically less picking up on 12/1 so it's like those extra 2 days more than double your costs. Another option would be two reservations but you'd have to go back to drop off/pick up. If it's a difference of a couple hundred dollars it might be worth the time though.

Have you compared onsite prices as well instead of the airport? We never do because we're lugging a car seat for the plane trip so we prefer to pick up at the airport, but I thought I'd mention as an idea. Maybe picking up onsite on 12/1 and drop off at the airport or some variation will be reasonable.
That is my next atep. 12/1 to 12/8 from someplace on property. Thanks for your input!

schriverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #248
QueenElinor
Yes, they really ARE all redheads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyrm View Post
I priced all the cars first without using any promos (just my Dollar express membership) and the "city special" for the premium size came up at the lowest rates.

Available rates:

Compact - $220 (rates before taxes)
Mid size -$225
Standard - $319
Full size - $234
Premium - $192
Mid size SUV - $211

Premium total was $255.71. Then I added the coupon and the price was $231.98

So, as that's the only current code that runs into December, it was the cheapest option...
Yep, I did the same thing. The premium was cheapest even without the promotion, and with it was much cheaper. I think people aren't renting them because of the gas- but we're only going to/from the airport and IOA, plus the resort. There's no way the next cheapest car was going to save me THAT much gas- especially since it's an SUV.

I got my rental for the 13-19th down to $205, inclusive. And now we don't have to worry about having space for 5 people, heck maybe we can take another DIS family (or two)!

I got me a car that's as big as a whale, and it's about to set sail....
QueenElinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #249
Southernswthrt
Mouseketeer

What's the dollar coupon you guys are using? The premium is over 300 for me....
Southernswthrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #250
QueenElinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernswthrt View Post
What's the dollar coupon you guys are using? The premium is over 300 for me....
4PMVM, I believe it ends on Dec. 20.

I got me a Chrysler that seats about twenty- so come on and bring your juke box money!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #251
Patsfan7
DIS Veteran

The Yelp reviews for Advantage and Dollar are horrible. Too scared to go that route. Waiting for better codes from the others.
Patsfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #252
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan7 View Post
The Yelp reviews for Advantage and Dollar are horrible. Too scared to go that route. Waiting for better codes from the others.
I've used Dollar, Thrifty, Hertz, Budget, Alamo & National. Honestly, they are all about the same. Thrifty had a little harder sell on additional insurance and they double checked the car after I returned it and filed a report that there was damage. The damage was there when I picked it up, but it was midnight and I didn't see it. I objected and they dropped it. I now make sure that I see and report all the possible damage when I pick up a car just in case the car company tries again no matter who I use. I would still rent from Thrifty if it was the cheapest.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #253
QueenElinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I've used Dollar, Thrifty, Hertz, Budget, Alamo & National. Honestly, they are all about the same. Thrifty had a little harder sell on additional insurance and they double checked the car after I returned it and filed a report that there was damage. The damage was there when I picked it up, but it was midnight and I didn't see it. I objected and they dropped it. I now make sure that I see and report all the possible damage when I pick up a car just in case the car company tries again no matter who I use. I would still rent from Thrifty if it was the cheapest.
This has been my experience as well, although I would say Hertz is a cut above the rest & I like being a member of Hertz #1 Gold. I'll rent from them if they're within striking distance of the others, but they seldom are. Often they're twice as expensive.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #254
schriverl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schriverl View Post
I don't know what I am doing wrong!! I'm trying for Alamo. My dates are Nov 29 to Dec 9. No matter what coupons or id's I try I always get the same rate?? It says $405 for compact every time with no codes and with codes. Please help!!
It seems to be the Nov. 29 date I am renting on. If I could rent a single day earlier the rates are waaayyyyy lower Ugghhh!!

schriverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #255
jodebode
Earning My Ears

I'm trying for a rental starting 11-29 as well and it's impossible to find a good rate! It's outrageous.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: