Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #16
lahicks68
Earning My Ears

Smile Fish extenders/Toddler cruising

Hello All! My family is booked on this cruise. It is our first Disney Cruise. I was reading something about Fish Extenders and was wondering what do I need to do. My daughter will be celebrating her 7th Birthday on the cruise so I want to make it as fun as possible. Can anyone give me a brief description on them and how they work?

Also, I have 2 year old twins. They will be 2 yrs 5 months when we cruise. I can't see where they are able to participate in the activities. Is this true?

Lastly, Is there any recommendations for a first time cruiser? Things I should bring, can't miss activities etc.

Thanks in advance. We are all excited and happy Disney Cruises have come to Miami. We are seasonal passholders and visit Disney World 4 times a year.

Lori
lahicks68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lahicks68 View Post
Hello All! My family is booked on this cruise. It is our first Disney Cruise. I was reading something about Fish Extenders and was wondering what do I need to do. My daughter will be celebrating her 7th Birthday on the cruise so I want to make it as fun as possible. Can anyone give me a brief description on them and how they work?

Also, I have 2 year old twins. They will be 2 yrs 5 months when we cruise. I can't see where they are able to participate in the activities. Is this true?

Lastly, Is there any recommendations for a first time cruiser? Things I should bring, can't miss activities etc.

Thanks in advance. We are all excited and happy Disney Cruises have come to Miami. We are seasonal passholders and visit Disney World 4 times a year.

Lori
If you are looking for FE info, check the DCL info sticky on the main cruise page. Good info and ideas. We have done FE's for our last 2 cruises and enjoyed them, but are not doing them this time around. The best way to describe them would be secret santa meets Mickey Mouse! Be sure to let your FE group know about the birthday. Folks usually do something a bit special for birthdays in a FE exchange.
Things I would bring? Sunscreen, camera, water bottle and a swimsuit. If you forgot everything else, you'd still have a great time!!

Your smaller twins can go to the open programming time in the kids clubs, but only the nursery if 'mom and dad alone time' is needed. They and you will still have a blast- there is SO much to do!!

We have fallen completely in love with DCL and now have chosen to substitute our regular yearly DL visit with the cruise. I can't wait!!!
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

Hi, just booked this cruise. My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary!

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
stacieps
DIS Veteran

I've just booked this cruise (again!). I booked this cruise when dates were originally released (along with the 2/21 cruise, was planning a B2B). Ended up cancelling both and booked a Carnival cruise (was looking for inexpensive Feb. trip as we decided to go to Hawaii in June). Well, DCL released some GREAT military rates for this sailing so, I booked it (again) and cancelled Carnival)!

Will just be me and DS(13) on this trip. DD is staying home during school vacation week to do some snowboarding, DH is staying with her.

Very excited about this cruise - will miss CC but love Cozumel!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
stacieps
DIS Veteran

My group has grown - my mother, my grandmother, and cousin have decided to join us. So my DD(15) who was planning to stay home, has also decided to come. We are now a group of 6, with 3-4 more considering booking!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #21
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsyBabsy View Post
Hi, just booked this cruise. My husband and I will be celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary!
Hey gang - we moved this cruise to the Fantasy instead. I really wanted to be back on the Wonder but out schedules changed. Have a great time!

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #22
kelzow
Earning My Ears

Just Booked our First Disney Cruise! Taking kids out of school for the Cruise

I just booked our families first Disney Cruise TODAY!!
Coming from NY to Miami for the first time too!

This was so spur of the moment...got a Mousesavers update on my facebook...the Kids Sail Free was hard to resist!
We are going to keep this as a suprise for the kids. Its going to be so hard!!!
We will be pulling them out of school for the week, but it's soooo worth it!

Does anyone else ever take their kids out of school for week long trips? My kids are relatively health and miss very little school (4 days a year), so I feel like this is jusified.

CAN NOT WAIT!
Time to hit the gym!!! the clock is ticking!
kelzow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelzow
I just booked our families first Disney Cruise TODAY!!
Coming from NY to Miami for the first time too!

This was so spur of the moment...got a Mousesavers update on my facebook...the Kids Sail Free was hard to resist!
We are going to keep this as a suprise for the kids. Its going to be so hard!!!
We will be pulling them out of school for the week, but it's soooo worth it!

Does anyone else ever take their kids out of school for week long trips? My kids are relatively health and miss very little school (4 days a year), so I feel like this is jusified.

CAN NOT WAIT!
Time to hit the gym!!! the clock is ticking!
Welcome!! How old are your kids? I have a 8 and a 12 year old and for this vacation they will be out of school for 2 weeks!

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
kelzow
Earning My Ears

My daughter is 8 and my son is 10! I'm sure they will see each other at the kids club! : ) What do you tell the school? Obviously the truth, but do they get upset? What do they come back to you with?

I am assuming since this IS DISNEY...that the cruise will be a full house. Not everyone knows about this site.

We've done DisneyWorld twice, and have talked about a Disney Cruise, never thought we'd be going on one. This kids sail free is an amazing deal!
I have a ton of research to do for this trip! Including doing our own excursions.
I cant see paying for their excursions. Just looking for nice, clear, calm tropical SAFE Beach at each destination. Will rent a car or Taxi (did it on a cruise we took pre-kids (12 year ago ) Rentals then were DIRT Cheap!

To be on the safe side, we will be arriving Saturday (Fort Lauderdale)just incase a NY Winter storm blows through! We'll rent a car from FLL to Miami, stay in a hotel 2 nights to enjoy Miami some, return the car, then they will shuttle us to the Port on Mon morning.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #25
lovedmy1stcuise
Earning My Ears

we will be on this cruise too, have a 9 and 11.5 year old. Kelzow we have exactly the same plan as you are, arriving Saturday to Ft. Lauderdale. Do you have a Hotel already, still looking don't know where to book as don't know anything about Miami.
lovedmy1stcuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

The schools always just say "have a nice time!!" I'm glad our schools are supportive.

We are actually on back-to-back cruises, so we will already be onboard when you all arrive. We get into Miami on the 18th and board on the 21st.
We are doing a beach day in Cozumel and Castaway Cay sting ray swim. We've done other beach days on our Mexican Riviera cruises and I hope these ones are as good. Warmer water would be nice!!!
I am too chicken to plan my own excursions... way, way too chicken!! We've seen too many people run for the ship because their tour got back late or the cab didn't pick them up on time. If I spoke even a word of Spanish maybe I'd feel better about it. But my Canadian french is NOT going to help.

i am so excited. We are telling our kids on Christmas day. The first year we went we gave the cruise as their big Christmas gift. We rebooked the next year while on board, but didn't tell the kids for a long time. When we finally did tell them it was HILARIOUS!! I made a photo book of our first cruise and on the very back page I put a picture of the stateroom door for the room we would be in next, and under it I said "Setting Sail January, 2012... Welcome back, the ***** Family!!!" This year our kids think that there is NO way we are going on a cruise because we just moved to a new city and bought a beautiful house and had to furnish and renovate it. They will be shocked!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #27
kelzow
Earning My Ears

No Idea what hotel we are staying in yet. I will rack my brain and the internet AFTER Christmas! : ) We just plan on sleeping at the hotel, so I dont want to pay a fortune NOR do I want a dirt bag hotel.

Will do the Car rental as well.

Im not worried about renting a car or getting a Taxi (this is their money maker, there will be plenty around!)...I am certain they know english better than we know Spanish. We will give ourselves plenty of time to get back to the ship as well. And the places we go will most likely be the same place the Excursions go so we wont be desolate.

Not sure if I should tell the kids on Valentines Day ♥ a week before we leave. That way they can get excited and tell their friends etc...
Or just totally suprise them THAT day? I can pack with out them knowing. They are going to be sooo excited!

Do any of you plan on bringing your kids to the kids clubs? I may want to for a little bit so I can relax by the pool myself!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
stacieps
DIS Veteran

My kids are DD(15) and DS(12) - this trip falls during our school vacation, so they won't miss anything. We're arriving in Miami on Saturday (staying downtown at Hyatt), planning to do a Miami/Everglades combo tour on Sunday.

We've been to Cozumel many times and love Paradise Beach (have gone several times and are going again in February!) and Chankaanab (gone a couple of times - did the dolphin encounter). Chankaanab is nice but not great entry into the water from a beach (have to use stairs at a stone wall), the beach/lagoon area was very difficult (rocky) to get in and out.

Paradise Beach is about $15 for a cab. $2 to rent a chair. $12 for a bracelet to use the water toys (inflatable iceberg, water trampolines, kayaks, floats). I rent chairs for all and get the bracelets for the kids. Food and drinks are great (surcharge for credit cards, so I bring cash).
Old 12-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #29
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

My youngest DD8 loves the kids club!! She is often among the last to leave @12:00 am!! My older daughter has always gone to the Edge for a few minutes the first day and then never again. Not her thing at all. She instead likes to kick back in our room and watch movies. Whatever- it's her vacation too!!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #30
lbroberts
Mouseketeer

Hey there! We just decided to do back to back when the kids sail free event happened a few weeks ago! Is there a FE for this? We are first timers & very excited to go however I am nervous abut getting sea sick!
lbroberts is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: