Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #31
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

It sounds like the hotel was great for your group! The breakfast sounds yummy. My first thought when I read waffles was "oh no, teenagers (probably tired) and a hot waffle iron" , so I was relieved that there was and attendant

What a view! I could totally see epcot in the picture.

I assume the no pool rule was for the same reasons as the no FP rule. The kids probably wouldn't have had time to swim anyway-except at midnight. Yay for security guards!!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 AM   #32
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

The hotel looks pretty nice and the breakfast sounds great

The reasoning behind the no fastpasses does make sense now.

The bus ride sounds LONG Glad everyone was well behaved.
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
It sounds like the hotel was great for your group! The breakfast sounds yummy. My first thought when I read waffles was "oh no, teenagers (probably tired) and a hot waffle iron" , so I was relieved that there was and attendant

What a view! I could totally see epcot in the picture.

I assume the no pool rule was for the same reasons as the no FP rule. The kids probably wouldn't have had time to swim anyway-except at midnight. Yay for security guards!!
The hotel really worked perfectly. The pool rule was for the same reasons but we were asls exhausted every night and everyone pretty much crashed! We basically got to the rooms at 11:30pm and woke up at 6pm so swimming wasn't really missed!

I loved that view!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
The hotel looks pretty nice and the breakfast sounds great

The reasoning behind the no fastpasses does make sense now.

The bus ride sounds LONG Glad everyone was well behaved.
The breakfast was really good! I usually eat the breakfast but it is ho-hum and I am ready to eat shortly after but I left full every morning! FP rule made sense but boy did I miss those things!!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #34
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Phew! So happy to hear the hotel was good. I'm always a little worried until I see it for myself! TA is my friend too. Always check out hotels there first. So did you get your own room? You actually didn't have to share? So cool! At least the views offered you some Disney vibes. Pretty great view IMO. Breakfast sounds yummy. I think you're off to a great start.

Quote:
Next: Finally we get to a park! But this park visit is unlike any I am used to!!!
Hmmmm! Is this ominous????
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #35
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Phew! So happy to hear the hotel was good. I'm always a little worried until I see it for myself! TA is my friend too. Always check out hotels there first. So did you get your own room? You actually didn't have to share? So cool! At least the views offered you some Disney vibes. Pretty great view IMO. Breakfast sounds yummy. I think you're off to a great start.

Hmmmm! Is this ominous????
It's not too ominous but it is definitely a lot different from what I am used to!

I did get the room to myself! I was actually pleasantly surprised by this! It was nice to come back and unwind in my own time (after room checks and such of course!!). The room was even better than I expected. I always take reviews at face value because you just never know. I have gotten a few duds but usually the reviews direct me in the right direction!

Hopefully I will have an update very soon!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Led Zeppelin Collides With the Magic Kingdom Epcot Part 1

Friday, March 23, 2012

Are you ready!?

Wake up calls were to be made at 6:30am. I am not a morning person and had to struggle making those perky “This is your wake-up call!” calls!

Breakfast was at 7am and everyone’s (well almost everyone since some chose to skip it) tummies were filled.

We gathered in the lobby:

And soon we were loading the buses and heading to our first park: EPCOT!!

First though, those wonderful gates we all live to see!

Epcot is my favorite park and the Flower and Garden Festival was going on which made me even more excited! So a warning here and now: a brand new camera to experiment with and the Flower and Garden Festival = A LOT of pictures!!!! I had been looking forward to this day for a long, long time and I was ready to try out my camera. Some of my pictures weren’t as good as I would like but it is all in learning! Plus with others around I couldn’t just stop and play with my camera features all of the time. It was all good though!

My usual touring plans for this day would have been: arrive at 8:15am (we had not even left the hotel yet!), from Rope Drop (we were unloading the buses at this time) head to Soarin’ for a Fast Pass (which we could not use) then go to Test Track and Mission Space. By 9:45 we have usually accomplished several rides. This trip not so much!

Now I will say that I realized a long, long time ago that this trip wasn’t about me and my plans. I was going simply to enjoy and soak up whatever magic was floating around. With this said, I had prepared my planning brain and it was relaxed and in “whatever” mode. And that is really a great place to be!!

Nixing my “usual touring mode”: We arrive at Epcot and go through the entrance:

Once we are parked, we hand out the passes.

Getting everyone ready!!

We gather the passes as the students enter the gates at this lovely local:

My assignment once in the park (along with another chaperone) was to go to First Aid and leave all of our information. So once we got through bag check, collected the passes and sent the kids on their merry way, we headed to Guest Services and then First Aid. First Aid is in the Odyssey Center.

As we make the trek I just have to stop and take a few pictures!!

Peter Pan!!

And Captain Hook!

We stop, leave our info and head out towards Soarin’. I have never, ever gone through the Stand-by line at Soarin’ and I pretty much plan to never, ever go through the Stand-by line at Soarin’ again!! (unless the wait is 30 minutes or less!) As we walk to The Land it is quickly approaching 10am. We stop for some photo ops along the way.

I kept missing the monorail!

Soon we see:

And make our way to:

The Stand-by wait is around 60 minutes. I had two chaperones with me who had not been to Epcot (one had never been to Disney). I gave some tidbits of Disney trivia along the way while still trying to not be too obnoxious! It was sort of fun playing tour guide though since they asked questions of which I knew the answers! They were up for waiting so we jumped in line. First off, we were HOT!!! But as we moved up the ramp some it began to cool off a little. The wait was kind of boring but then we got to an area that had these huge screens and interactive games were being played.

Waiting, waiting, and waiting....

Continued in next post....

Last edited by TinksThree; 04-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #37
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Epcot Part 1 Continued...

We played along for a minute or two and then felt really weird. We were sure that the game wasn’t really interactive and began speculating that what we were actually doing really didn’t affect the outcome but instead cameras were hidden to capture us leaning left and right, swatting our arms and hitting at invisible objects! Since we felt nothing we were doing had any effect on the game we stopped but I snapped this picture of others having at it!

I was bored and began taking pictures of this long ramp area and even found some Mickeys on the screens!

Finally it is our turn and we are soon soaring over California. I really do enjoy this ride and after it was over I asked the newbies if the wait was worth it. They both said “YES”! I know the beauty of FP but did not feel the need to say anything. I did mention if they ever return to go there 1st and grab a FP and don’t bother stand-by unless it is a shorter wait time unless of course they are dying to ride!

We head out and one of the chaperones found her daughter and friends in Sunshine Seasons.

I wasn’t ready to eat lunch even though it was after 11am and neither was the third chaperone. We left them to eat lunch and the two of us headed towards Mission Space to meet up with Madison and the other chaperone’s son and their friends.

Next: Will we finally find our kids and plenty of F&G photos coming up!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #38
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I know that you were just itching to get to the park but at least ya'll didn't get there late in the morning. It's too bad ya'll couldn't use Fastpasses and avoid that 60 minute wait. It's been so long since Disney started the Fastpass system and we've gotten spoiled haven't we? But, as you said, the others didn't even know about the Fastpasses and they loved the ride so the wait was worth it.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #39
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Isn't the Flower & Garden Show a beautiful time to visit Epcot! I've been there once in May and everywhere we looked there was some new topiary or flower garden to enjoy. Makes for some pretty great pictures!

Quote:
Wake up calls were to be made at 6:30am. I am not a morning person and had to struggle making those perky “This is your wake-up call!” calls!
I am so with you on this! Mornings come way too early for me most days!

I was in that Soarin' line playing those same games in February. However, after the interactive games got boring my granddaughter entertained herself by changing my cell phone to Spanish . Since none of us could figure out how to change it back, we approached a fellow line-waiter who actually spoke Spanish fluently and asked for his help. We managed to entertain ourselves and several people around us with this little drama. Pretty funny actually! Oh and we also met a couple from England and talked to them for a good while. I agree that Fastpass is the way to go here!

It's fun to get to be the tour guide isn't it! I'm applauding your restraint at full out Disney mania but I bet the other chaperones were glad to be with someone who knew the Disney ropes!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC in January then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages; 2014 - Offsite at Marriott's Cypress Harbour for quick unplanned surprise trip.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #40
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

I cannot wait to see Flower and Garden for the first time! I am also trying to learn to use my new camera and plan to make F&G my guinea pig

I'm glad the other 2 enjoyed Soarin! 60 minutes is tough though.

Can't wait to hear more!
Old 04-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #41
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I know that you were just itching to get to the park but at least ya'll didn't get there late in the morning. It's too bad ya'll couldn't use Fastpasses and avoid that 60 minute wait. It's been so long since Disney started the Fastpass system and we've gotten spoiled haven't we? But, as you said, the others didn't even know about the Fastpasses and they loved the ride so the wait was worth it.
I was itching like I had a bad case of chiggers to get in that park!! I am definitely spoiled by the Fast Passes and being there at Rope Drop to make the dash to my favorites! I can see how people that do not utilize these things can go home from a WDW vacation frustrated and disappointed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Isn't the Flower & Garden Show a beautiful time to visit Epcot! I've been there once in May and everywhere we looked there was some new topiary or flower garden to enjoy. Makes for some pretty great pictures!

I am so with you on this! Mornings come way too early for me most days!

I was in that Soarin' line playing those same games in February. However, after the interactive games got boring my granddaughter entertained herself by changing my cell phone to Spanish . Since none of us could figure out how to change it back, we approached a fellow line-waiter who actually spoke Spanish fluently and asked for his help. We managed to entertain ourselves and several people around us with this little drama. Pretty funny actually! Oh and we also met a couple from England and talked to them for a good while. I agree that Fastpass is the way to go here!

It's fun to get to be the tour guide isn't it! I'm applauding your restraint at full out Disney mania but I bet the other chaperones were glad to be with someone who knew the Disney ropes!
I love going during this time! It is amazing what they do with those flowers and everything just pops with color! That is hilarious about your granddaughter and the phone! It is amazing what goes on in those long lines! In some cases on this particular trip we had some pretty good entertainment! We even have a Spanish incident coming up later in the day! I loved being a tour guide! It was fun to give the tidbits I have learned that aren't in plain site! But thankfully I (hope) did refrain from being overly obnoxious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
I cannot wait to see Flower and Garden for the first time! I am also trying to learn to use my new camera and plan to make F&G my guinea pig

I'm glad the other 2 enjoyed Soarin! 60 minutes is tough though.

Can't wait to hear more!
F&G was beautiful!! I wish I had more time to really spend time lingering in some areas but I was grateful for the time I did have there! You will have a blast trying out your new camera! My only regret was not having time to linger and try different settings at times!

I was very happy when they expressed how much they enjoyed Soarin'! There is nothing worse than standing for an hour and then being disappointed! 60 minutes was very tough and I am not used to standing on concrete for that long! Even on past Disney vacations!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #42
ksl5f123
DIS Veteran

I'm a little behind. Your room looks really nice and it must have been wonderful to have it all to yourself! You did have a great view!

I love that they had a security guard for you. You didn't even have to tape the doors that way!

I can understand keeping the kids from the pool, but I would have been initially disappointed with that.

Sorcerer Mickey made a GREAT first topiary this year! I liked the Toy Story 3 last year, but I LOVED Mickey this year! Your picture is great with Spaceship Earth in the background.

Now, I see how you wound up in such a long line at Soarin'. You were there pretty early - only a few minutes after rope drop but BOY did that line build fast!

Last edited by ksl5f123; 04-10-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:04 AM   #43
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksl5f123 View Post
I'm a little behind. Your room looks really nice and it must have been wonderful to have it all to yourself! You did have a great view!

I love that they had a security guard for you. You didn't even have to tape the doors that way!

I can understand keeping the kids from the pool, but I would have been initially disappointed with that.

Sorcerer Mickey made a GREAT first topiary this year! I liked the Toy Story 3 last year, but I LOVED Mickey this year! Your picture is great with Spaceship Earth in the background.

Now, I see how you wound up in such a long line at Soarin'. You were there pretty early - only a few minutes after rope drop but BOY did that line build fast!
My room was very nice, and we were prepared to tape those doors but felt so lucky having that security guard!!

I loved the Sorcerer Mickey! I thought that whole display was beautiful! I get more pictures a little later when I go back to the entrance! I love Toy Story and I was happy to find them later but I do agree that Sorcerer Mickey was perfect! The line to Soarin' was so long and tiring! I am afraid waht it will be like when Test Track shuts down next week!
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #44
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
I was itching like I had a bad case of chiggers to get in that park!!
Those that are reading and do not live in the South, Chiggers are tiny, six-legged wingless organisms (larvae) that grow up to become a type of mite. Chiggers are found in tall grass and weeds. Their bite causes severe itching.

They are not as cute as a speckled pup under a red wagon and I'm fixin' to get me a poultice for this spot that has started itching just thinking about those little creepy crawlers! (Sometimes I can't resist preserving the stereotype! )

Keep up the great TR Tinks!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 AM   #45
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Those that are reading and do not live in the South, Chiggers are tiny, six-legged wingless organisms (larvae) that grow up to become a type of mite. Chiggers are found in tall grass and weeds. Their bite causes severe itching.

They are not as cute as a speckled pup under a red wagon and I'm fixin' to get me a poultice for this spot that has started itching just thinking about those little creepy crawlers! (Sometimes I can't resist preserving the stereotype! )

Keep up the great TR Tinks!
Thanks for that definition!! I forget it is a Southern thing!! I well remember picking blackberries and getting covered by those awful little, itchy spots!! Ewww!!!

I especially enjoy your description of the cuteness of chiggers! We must preserve those stereotypes!!!

Glad your enjoying...and BTW are you saints tickets on AllEars also?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: