Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #16
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Syd-o-ney (not the country town Canberra)
Posts: 5,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Queenie I meant to ask you, which days of the week were you there? I could reread your TR but thought it might be easier to ask you directly
Friday Saturday Sunday Monday...

Not ideal....

But we got it to work.

HIGHLY recommend Monday's
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:45 AM   #17
Royal Consort
And I thought a Park Hopper was just a Kangaroo in a native reserve.
 
Royal Consort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Thanks, that's handy to know. Did you just use an Australian credit card?
Yep, all they want is a valid credit card number. They don't care where it comes from.
__________________
Royal Consort is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-05-2012, 04:36 AM   #18
shushh
DIS Veteran
 
shushh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,248

An update...

We have booked ourselves a stay at the Disneyland Hotel! I am so excited! I can now plan my dining reservation.

There is currently a pay for 2 and get 2 nights free offer on the UK site for our dates and with the dollar doing well against the pound, we booked last night. This offer is for arrivals until 31 Mar if I'm not mistaken.

Was just sharing this with Ms Shuttergirl but thought the information may be handy for those who plan on visiting DLP. If you call the French line and tell them the special that is on another site that is not the international site, they will honour it and let you book it even if you do not reside in that country. I called last night and was able to take advantage of the UK offer with no problems even though bookings for the rest of the world have not opened yet. I gave them my Australian address. It cost me all of $1 in skype costs. The CM I spoke to was so friendly and sweet, in fact I couldn't stop him talking...was on the phone for about 35 minutes!

So we'll be there from Wed Dec 12 and checking out on Sunday Dec 16. Queenie, I've just read your TR, and you didn't recommend the RER? We were planning on taking the RER A from Paris on the Wednesday morning...
__________________
April 2010 Mediterranean Cruise Disney Magic TR
Dec 2010 WDW, NY, Washington DC TR
Jan 2011 Panama Canal Cruise Disney Wonder TR
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

I know nothing about DLP but thought I'd poke the ol' head in and take a sticky!

typical!
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #20
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!
 
aussietravellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?
Posts: 3,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
We have booked ourselves a stay at the Disneyland Hotel! I am so excited! I can now plan my dining reservation.

There is currently a pay for 2 and get 2 nights free offer on the UK site for our dates and with the dollar doing well against the pound, we booked last night. This offer is for arrivals until 31 Mar if I'm not mistaken.

Was just sharing this with Ms Shuttergirl but thought the information may be handy for those who plan on visiting DLP. If you call the French line and tell them the special that is on another site that is not the international site, they will honour it and let you book it even if you do not reside in that country. I called last night and was able to take advantage of the UK offer with no problems even though bookings for the rest of the world have not opened yet. I gave them my Australian address. It cost me all of $1 in skype costs. The CM I spoke to was so friendly and sweet, in fact I couldn't stop him talking...was on the phone for about 35 minutes!

So we'll be there from Wed Dec 12 and checking out on Sunday Dec 16. Queenie, I've just read your TR, and you didn't recommend the RER? We were planning on taking the RER A from Paris on the Wednesday morning...
Congrats on booking We were there mid Dec when we went for 8 nights. DS and I took the RER into Paris and back and didn't have a problem, didn't find anything wrong with it It's not a nice clean train like the Eurostar or TGV, but it was just a normal suburban train, a little grotty and there are beggars, but they were not annoying or offensive like the gypsys that are around Paris. They just board the train, go along and place a card beside everyone (which we didn't touch, but I did lean and have a read). Then they walk back, pick the card up and jump off the train at the next stop (and I assume start the process again on the next train as it comes along ). But we found it easy to navigate around Paris, easy to get into Paris and back again. I can't see that you'll have any problems

It really was FREEZING when we went, like absolutely FREEZING! I don't remember ever feeling as cold. We went to Zermatt from there and it was -15 and it didn't feel as cold as DLP, LOL. We actually took the train in to the big shopping centre just a stop or two (on the RER) from Disneyland to the sports store to buy balaclavas as at night we were just so bitterly cold and it was sleeting and it hurt your face. But it was still amazing, wonderful, magical and just beautiful at Christmas time. There are Christmas markets between DTD and DLH which are cute and very christmasy (if that's a word). You will love it!
__________________
1975 - 1990 - Many Trips - Disneyland California - Disneyland Hotel
1995 - Walt Disney World - Yacht Club Resort
2004 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #21
shushh
DIS Veteran
 
shushh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,248

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
I know nothing about DLP but thought I'd poke the ol' head in and take a sticky!

typical!
Hehehe,, no need to be an expert to comment here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Congrats on booking We were there mid Dec when we went for 8 nights. DS and I took the RER into Paris and back and didn't have a problem, didn't find anything wrong with it It's not a nice clean train like the Eurostar or TGV, but it was just a normal suburban train, a little grotty and there are beggars, but they were not annoying or offensive like the gypsys that are around Paris. They just board the train, go along and place a card beside everyone (which we didn't touch, but I did lean and have a read). Then they walk back, pick the card up and jump off the train at the next stop (and I assume start the process again on the next train as it comes along ). But we found it easy to navigate around Paris, easy to get into Paris and back again. I can't see that you'll have any problems

It really was FREEZING when we went, like absolutely FREEZING! I don't remember ever feeling as cold. We went to Zermatt from there and it was -15 and it didn't feel as cold as DLP, LOL. We actually took the train in to the big shopping centre just a stop or two (on the RER) from Disneyland to the sports store to buy balaclavas as at night we were just so bitterly cold and it was sleeting and it hurt your face. But it was still amazing, wonderful, magical and just beautiful at Christmas time. There are Christmas markets between DTD and DLH which are cute and very christmasy (if that's a word). You will love it!
Thanks aussietravellers!

With regards to the RER, do you think it'll be manageable with 3 kids and suitcases coming in from Paris into Disneyland in the morning? I know Queenie did it, but she was travelling with another adult.
__________________
April 2010 Mediterranean Cruise Disney Magic TR
Dec 2010 WDW, NY, Washington DC TR
Jan 2011 Panama Canal Cruise Disney Wonder TR
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #22
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!
 
aussietravellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?
Posts: 3,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
Hehehe,, no need to be an expert to comment here!



Thanks aussietravellers!

With regards to the RER, do you think it'll be manageable with 3 kids and suitcases coming in from Paris into Disneyland in the morning? I know Queenie did it, but she was travelling with another adult.
Our journey's were without luggage. I know I was worried about it on the departing journey as we had to get back to Paris, early in the morning, for an 8.30am train from Paris to Switzerland. I was worried being on my own, just with DS who was 8 then, with our two suitcases, two wheel along carry on's plus handbags, navigating that on our own, we had to change trains in Paris to get to the train station. So we just took a car with a driver to the station, and I was happy that we did. I ummed and ahhed after taking the train to Paris for the day, seeing how easy it was, but was just too worried about changing trains and platforms with all of the luggage. So ended up with the car. From memory the private car was about 90 Euro.

I know that not all stations have a lift, so if you were going to take it from Paris, then make sure that the station that you will leave from has a lift, to get the luggage down to the platform (they do have one at DLP end). If it's a straight, non changing journey then it will be ok as you could just jump on with the kids and sit them whilst your DH throws the luggage on (not such a rush at the other end as it's the end of the link ). But with pickpocketing, I would have someone (probably your DH) stand with the luggage the whole trip if you can't get a seat with the luggage.
__________________
1975 - 1990 - Many Trips - Disneyland California - Disneyland Hotel
1995 - Walt Disney World - Yacht Club Resort
2004 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #23
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Paris train services...

the only thing re paris train between the airport and the city is its SLOW....we took so long getting from the airport, standing up..it was horrible & by the time we got into Paris we were over it...just as well we were upgraded to premium economy on our flight in from tokyo.....cant imagine doing it after 10+ hours in economy
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Syd-o-ney (not the country town Canberra)
Posts: 5,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
With regards to the RER, do you think it'll be manageable with 3 kids and suitcases coming in from Paris into Disneyland in the morning? I know Queenie did it, but she was travelling with another adult.
I'm pretty sure I was with DBF...not an adult


I wouldn't advise travelling on the train with kids and luggage but it is doable as described.
If you are going Airport-DLP then the no brainer choice is the bus. It's just like any coach where you chuck any bags in the bottom of the bus (strollers etc ) and then can take carry ons onto the bus.

I haven't re read my TR but we were on the train (from DLP to the station near the hotel we were staying) with one large suitcase, one wheelie carry on, one roller duffle bag (with a broken handle ) and assorted shoulder bags. Not fun. And no...there aren't always lifts.

My large suitcase was a spinner which did make it easier. But even between us we were constantly stopping to rearrange.
Once you are on the train I'm sure you'd be ok as long as you settle together. But it is from wherever you are to the station.

Congrats on the booking though


Ever so slightly jealous of staying at the Disneyland Hotel


ETA: I did happily travel to Paris from DLP on a day trip no worries and plan to again. I have no problem with the train. Just not with luggage going from hotel to hotel.
It was hard enough with DBF...can't imagine with 3 kids
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #25
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie82 View Post
I'm pretty sure I was with DBF...not an adult


I wouldn't advise travelling on the train with kids and luggage but it is doable as described.
If you are going Airport-DLP then the no brainer choice is the bus. It's just like any coach where you chuck any bags in the bottom of the bus (strollers etc ) and then can take carry ons onto the bus.

I haven't re read my TR but we were on the train (from DLP to the station near the hotel we were staying) with one large suitcase, one wheelie carry on, one roller duffle bag (with a broken handle ) and assorted shoulder bags. Not fun. And no...there aren't always lifts.

My large suitcase was a spinner which did make it easier. But even between us we were constantly stopping to rearrange.
Once you are on the train I'm sure you'd be ok as long as you settle together. But it is from wherever you are to the station.

Congrats on the booking though


Ever so slightly jealous of staying at the Disneyland Hotel
thats right..i forgot THERE ARE NO LIFTS/ escalators IN PARIS TRAIN STATIONS!!!!!!

omg ..... try lugging bags up and down, up and down...i forgot all about that
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:06 AM   #26
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!
 
aussietravellers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?
Posts: 3,681

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
thats right..i forgot THERE ARE NO LIFTS/ escalators IN PARIS TRAIN STATIONS!!!!!!

omg ..... try lugging bags up and down, up and down...i forgot all about that
Some do.... the major ones.... but not many! NIGHTMARE for travel with luggage are those liftless stations isn't it! That's another reason also why we took a car in the end, DLP had the lift. The station that we were going to (to catch the TGV) had one, but the station we had to change at along the way, didn't

So shushh it may be easier to take a private car, but if you decide on the train, just check that your departing station has a lift

Shushh + 3 little shushh's and a papa shushh + luggage and no lift will not make for happy Shushh's
__________________
1975 - 1990 - Many Trips - Disneyland California - Disneyland Hotel
1995 - Walt Disney World - Yacht Club Resort
2004 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #27
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussietravellers View Post
Some do.... the major ones.... but not many! NIGHTMARE for travel with luggage are those liftless stations isn't it! That's another reason also why we took a car in the end, DLP had the lift. The station that we were going to (to catch the TGV) had one, but the station we had to change at along the way, didn't

So shushh it may be easier to take a private car, but if you decide on the train, just check that your departing station has a lift

Shushh + 3 little shushh's and a papa shushh + luggage and no lift will not make for happy Shushh's
and if i remember correctly, the stairs are old, narrow, step and never ending....my poor bag was bumped down so many staircases....and try not to travel during peak times..people will just push you outa the wayI'm sure they do hate us over there
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
shushh
DIS Veteran
 
shushh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,248

eeek! I've got 3 people telling me its a bad idea but what do I do?!? Check the accessibility of the station that the apartment I plan to rent is close to. Call me a sucker for punishment but it seems like we are in luck! Metro line 14 is the only completely accessible metro line and guess which line Pyramides is part of. Line 14...We have to change at Chatelet Les Halles, but I'm sure that's the massive one. It should have lifts right...lol

Will talk to hubby about forking out more cash tonight!
__________________
April 2010 Mediterranean Cruise Disney Magic TR
Dec 2010 WDW, NY, Washington DC TR
Jan 2011 Panama Canal Cruise Disney Wonder TR
May 2011 Hong Kong Disneyland TR
Sep 2011 Salt Lake City, Disneyland TR
Dec 2012 France, Disneyland Paris, Italy, Cruise to the Holy Land
May 2013 Tokyo Disney Sea TR
Dec 2013 WDW, Caribbean Cruise Disney Fantasy, Caribbean Cruise Allure of the Seas, Disneyland
Jun 2015 Disney Wonder Alaskan Cruise
shushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 AM   #29
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 3,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
eeek! I've got 3 people telling me its a bad idea but what do I do?!? Check the accessibility of the station that the apartment I plan to rent is close to. Call me a sucker for punishment but it seems like we are in luck! Metro line 14 is the only completely accessible metro line and guess which line Pyramides is part of. Line 14...We have to change at Chatelet Les Halles, but I'm sure that's the massive one. It should have lifts right...lol

Will talk to hubby about forking out more cash tonight!
if you have lifts your laughing....just expect to have to push onto the trains if you travel during peak..apart from that..save your $$$ for more important things...I just wish we had known about the lift situation before we got there, you just assume all stations would be modernised

to be forewarned is forearmed
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #30
queenie82
Queen of the 5 Castles
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Syd-o-ney (not the country town Canberra)
Posts: 5,327

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushh View Post
eeek! I've got 3 people telling me its a bad idea but what do I do?!? Check the accessibility of the station that the apartment I plan to rent is close to. Call me a sucker for punishment but it seems like we are in luck! Metro line 14 is the only completely accessible metro line and guess which line Pyramides is part of. Line 14...We have to change at Chatelet Les Halles, but I'm sure that's the massive one. It should have lifts right...lol

Will talk to hubby about forking out more cash tonight!
Wishing you God's graces...

If it has lifts it is more doable...but also find out how far it is between each platform. The one you're getting off at then getting on.
There could be some distance in tunnels. All worth investigating.

If it don't have lifts...not only does it mean stairs. It's might mean up and down and up and down and up again before you're actually leaving...

I don't know what the best method for getting from Paris city to DLP is. Without luggage it IS the train. And with DLP being your destination rather than Paris that is 'better'. But I'm not liking the idea of a change
queenie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.