Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 11:47 AM   #121
patches07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadMatt View Post
We are from the same area and are driving down in November too.

We did the 57 route before but thinking about 65 this time.
We are leaving November 1st at 3am.

patches07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #122
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches07 View Post
Please come back and update the roads (construction, etc.) We're leaving 11/8 but camping, visiting family on our way down so not arriving until later on 11/11.
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #123
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

We are driving the 57/24/75 route from Chicago and leaving on 8/17 after work!!! I'll update when we get back.

We took 65 last trip and it was fine, but all of the construction talk made us change our minds.
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #124
droycro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches07 View Post
Are you driving straight through?

March 1997 - POFQ
January 2003 - offsite
January 2004 - Beach Club and Disney Magic (land & sea package)
May 2005 - Contemporary
May 2006 - Contemporary
July 2010 - Fort Wilderness
March 2013 - POR
droycro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #125
patches07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by droycro View Post
Are you driving straight through?
We are stopping for the night in Macon GA.

Last edited by patches07; 08-02-2012 at 11:52 AM.
patches07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #126
mama23babies
Mouseketeer

Any driving updates? We are leaving from Chicago suburbs (south) on Nov, 9th. I'm looking for tips, places to stay for the night?

Thanks!

Debbie

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #127
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23babies View Post
Any driving updates? We are leaving from Chicago suburbs (south) on Nov, 9th. I'm looking for tips, places to stay for the night?

Thanks!

Debbie

We are leaving the evening of 11/8 but making a few stops on our way down (our favorite camping spot in Southern IL and with family in Knoxville, TN) and will be arriving 11/11.

I'm not sure what time of the day you're leaving, but if you are looking to just stop overnight somewhere I would suggest trying to get past Atlanta before stopping. On the way home we always stay at the Best Western in Murfreesboro, TN. Its just south of Nashville and is more than half way home.
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #128
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23babies View Post
I'm looking for tips, places to stay for the night?

Thanks!

Debbie

I don't live far from you. My DD13 and I drove down in June. We left Northwest Indiana at 6:30am and were in Macon, Georgia by 7:00pm. I got a great pre-paid rate on Hotels.com at a Best Western that had free breakfast right off 275.

The second day we left Macon approx. 8:00am and were in Disney by 2:00pm.

In all honestly, even though I was the only driver, if I didn't already have a pre-paid reservation at that particular Best Western I would have kept going and easily made it to Valdosta by 9pm.
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:47 PM   #129
mama23babies
Mouseketeer

Thanks! Everyone I have heard from has said to get past Atlanta the first day. That's the plan. We have three drivers, so that should help. I'd love to go straight through, but I don't know how the kids will make it. I just want a decent place to stay if we need to.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:48 AM   #130
jimbostacks
Earning My Ears

Lots of great info here. We are planning on doing Mammoth Cave for a few hours on the way and I do not think I can make it past ATlanta. Any good hotel recommendations in Kennesaw GA? Ithought I saw an Embassy Suites for $100 which sounds cheap with the large breakfast they serve.
jimbostacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #131
luvavacation
DIS Veteran

Just popping in, with a little update on the drive from far western Chicago area to almost Orlando (went to Jacksonville) over Thanksgiving.

We picked up my daughter at Purdue, and took 88 to 355 to 80 to 57, then got off in Ashkum to take side roads to my daughter's apartment. It is faster than taking 80 to 65 on a Friday during rush hour (we left the house at 4 on Friday before Thanksgiving).

The roads had more cars on them than we have ever seen, especially on the way home the Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving! I do like that the speed limit on the Indiana route is higher than the IL route, so at least everyone was going at a good pace.

There was some construction, but it didn't really create many back-ups. I always carry good maps, and have the settings for the local radio station, so if the highway is backed up, we can get off and take alternate roads to bypass the stopped traffic. Didn't have to do that this time.

The worst traffic was into and out of Atlanta, both ways. It started maybe an hour from Atlanta, and continued for an hour out of Atlanta. No discernible reason why, it just was. HOV lane, once you got to it, was also backed up. We were barely moving. I realize Chicago drivers have their issues, and we rarely ever drive into Chicago from the boonies where we live, but I really do believe the drivers in Atlanta are even worse! At least in Chicago, we are all in a hurry - in Atlanta, you have your hurry-up drivers (must be transplanted Northerners ) and your easygoing Southern drivers. The two do not mix well, especially on Thanksgiving weekend when all the IL, IN, WI and MI plated vehicles are trying to get home! Fun times!

We were very disappointed that our favorite place to stop coming out of the mountains of Tennessee, Nickajack Lake rest stop, was closed. We always stop here to make sandwiches and stretch our legs, it is just so pretty. Hopefully it will be open before we do the drive again this summer. The return trip side was open, but it was dark when we got there, so we kept going.

If anyone is interested, we also found our new favorite hotel, the Embassy Suites in Murfreesboro. If you are a Hilton Honours member, you can use points, otherwise I believe it is around $150 a night, at least it was for Thanksgiving weekend. I felt it was well worth it. We traveled with one teen daughter and one adult daughter (and Grandma in the connecting room), and there was plenty of room, and the beds were AMAZING! Breakfast was tasty, and the manager's reception until 7:30 p.m. was a nice touch. Nice pool, warm but not scalding hot tub, it was all good. And the friendliest employees!

Normally we stay with Marriott points at the Residence Inn off Briley in Nashville, but when you factor in the drive around Nashville to get there, staying more south in Murfreesboro was almost a wash in terms of drive time home. I know there are lesser expensive hotels to stay in, but staying in hotels when we drive is part of my vacation, so I like them to be nicer hotels with fantastic breakfasts included. We are very frugal all year long, so we live it up on vacation. And using my credit card for everything to attain points, then paying it off each month, it all balances out. Looks like I will be using my Hilton AmEx from now on, not my Marriott, to make another visit to the Murfreesboro Embassy Suites!

Hope everyone has safe and pleasant drives over the coming winter!
luvavacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #132
BethanyF
Id rather be 'stuck' at SSR
This just happened at the right time
I got in with no problem

we are leaving this Friday at about 1:30pm and driving straight through. 2 drivers and a 14 year old.
I'm debating between 65 and 57 since our departure time is going to put us in Indianapolis at rush hour. Or is that not really a problem?

The plan is for DH to drive out of Chicago and then I can take over for a couple hours. Then we will rotate as needed. DH prefers driving to being a passenger, so I don't really drive too much. I usually end up doing a few hours in Georgia since that is about when he hits his 'wall' and needs a break.

I used to pack all kinds of food & drinks, but found we don't really use what I pack. Plus the few minutes to stretch is a welcome break. So we stop as needed, get reenergized and keep going.

Driving at this time of year is new to us, we usually go down at spring break. I'm not looking forward to the shortened daylight hours. I have my Kindle for books & movies, but I prefer paging through my stack of unread magazines. I read them and then leave them at rest stops with a 'help yourself' sticker for others to read on their trips.

I know this can be touchy, but does anyone know what cigarette prices are along the way? They are expensive here, so if I know where to find them cheap along the way I can plan accordingly.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #133
Samish
Earning My Ears

We are driving this weekend too! Leaving approx 12 hours after you (kids have school on Friday). We are driving a bit East though. Stopping over to see family in Charlotte and staying there for the night. Hopefully planning to reach WDW on Sunday night

Sorry can't help with the cigarette prices.
Samish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #134
droycro
Mouseketeer

BethanyF I see you're leaving around 1:30pm. We are heading down over spring break. We had thought about leaving at 2pm, and we are planning to drive straight through. What can you tell me about approximately what time we'll arrive at The World? We do plan on taking 57. Only slightly longer, but much less traffic to worry about.

March 1997 - POFQ
January 2003 - offsite
January 2004 - Beach Club and Disney Magic (land & sea package)
May 2005 - Contemporary
May 2006 - Contemporary
July 2010 - Fort Wilderness
March 2013 - POR
droycro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #135
BethanyF
Id rather be 'stuck' at SSR
This just happened at the right time
I got in with no problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by droycro View Post
BethanyF I see you're leaving around 1:30pm. We are heading down over spring break. We had thought about leaving at 2pm, and we are planning to drive straight through. What can you tell me about approximately what time we'll arrive at The World? We do plan on taking 57. Only slightly longer, but much less traffic to worry about.
Last March we left at about 3:00 and pulled in to SSR at about noon.
(had to go look at my FB pics to see the time stamps, LOL)

We stopped a few times, a couple longer (Waffle House) stops and several coffee/potty breaks. Never more than 30 or 45 minutes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: