Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #91
kelleyrn2000
Mouseketeer

I think I have our timing figured out for our trip end of July...let's hope construction doesn't put a huge kink in our plan...

Using Mapquest travel time estimates...with any luck we will make better time though

Arrive in Paducah, KY by midnight and stay overnight.
Leave Paducah by 6am, stop for lunch in Chatanooga area, then make it to to Atlanta by 2pm. Braves have a 7:30 home game that night (Friday) so hopefully we will be through that area in plenty of time to miss rush hour and game taffic.
We'll stay overnight in Valdosta most likely before we head to Orlando in AM. Unless of course we are making better time than thought!

Does anyone know a good site to check road construction online for the various interstates?? TIA!!!

kelleyrn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #92
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintpea View Post
Ugh we are driving now and our gps told us to go way of nc sc ga....I'm not sure how much time we lost having not gone through atl. I75 was detoured in tn for about 45 min through the mts....
We are almost to jacksonville....I do say the smoky mts were beautiful
Do you remember where in TN you were detoured? We're leaving in a few days and I'm rethinking our route. ****Nevermind, I just looked it up. Lots of construction in TN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyrn2000 View Post
I think I have our timing figured out for our trip end of July...let's hope construction doesn't put a huge kink in our plan...

Using Mapquest travel time estimates...with any luck we will make better time though

Arrive in Paducah, KY by midnight and stay overnight.
Leave Paducah by 6am, stop for lunch in Chatanooga area, then make it to to Atlanta by 2pm. Braves have a 7:30 home game that night (Friday) so hopefully we will be through that area in plenty of time to miss rush hour and game taffic.
We'll stay overnight in Valdosta most likely before we head to Orlando in AM. Unless of course we are making better time than thought!

Does anyone know a good site to check road construction online for the various interstates?? TIA!!!

Just google the Dept. of Transportation for the state you're interested in and you should find a link to construction info.

Last edited by SpecialK; 06-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #93
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
Do you remember where in TN you were detoured? We're leaving in a few days and I'm rethinking our route. ****Nevermind, I just looked it up. Lots of construction in TN.
I may understand her GPS taking her off I-75 in Corbin, KY (taking US 25E through the mountains and ending up in Eastern Tenn, close to North Carolina). That avoids the landslide and does not add too much time. But it sounds like her GPS might have taken her off I-75 in Knoxville. That's beyond the landslide, and that would actually add time.

PM me if anyone wants an alternative route around the I-75 landslide in Northern Tenn.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #94
peppermintpea
Earning My Ears

Well we are back and in one piece from driving... couple of thoughts
~never driving straight through again...way too difficult for me and my hub
~not relying on my GPS from my car...took us the wrong way down
~lots of construction on the roads
~saw lots of cops

Had loads of fun even if it was rainy...Safe trips to all!
Til next year...TTFN!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #95
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

We too are just home from our road trip. Our thoughts:

We did the 57-24-75 route to avoid the construction in Louisville, down to 1 lane. There was construction along 57 but there didn't seem to be any issues/traffic from it. It could be that we were doing all our traveling Sat/Sun.

Left western suburbs of Chicago Sat 6/2 at 7:30am. The only issue we had was 24 was closed through downtown Nashville for the weekend so there was a bit of a back-up and detour but I don't think it impacted things too much. We stayed the night in Macon, GA at a Best Western. Got a GREAT rate through Costco, $65ish for a 2bd w/pull-out sofa and breakfast.

Left Disney Sat 6/9 at 1:30p, hit some very heavy rain about 1hr north that lasted quite a while and slowed things down. We stopped for the night in Dalton, GA just south of Chattanooga at a Country Inn & Suites. It was clean but older. We got a later start on Sunday leaving around 10a. Had no problems on the way back through Nashville. There was a sign on 57 about a 4mi back-up starting at MM88 so we hopped off and took SR 37 from south of Mt. Vernon to just north of it. Was a nice drive, speed limit for most of it was 55 and there was no one on it so we sailed right through with no problems. There was more construction in Effingham and again around Kankakee, traffic was heavier but no slow downs or stops.

It was a long drive but all went well. If airline prices continue as they are I'm guessing our road trips will become more of the norm as it wasn't too terrible. I agree about the cops, there were many but cruise control can be your friend. The other big thing I noticed was the huge difference in gas prices once you leave IL. On our way back we saw $2.98 in Paducah and $3.05 in Chattanooga but the norm was more like low $3.20s. It was quite a shock to come home to nearly $4 again.

Best of luck to those with trips this summer.
irish dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #96
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish dancer View Post
We too are just home from our road trip. Our thoughts:

We did the 57-24-75 route to avoid the construction in Louisville, down to 1 lane. There was construction along 57 but there didn't seem to be any issues/traffic from it. It could be that we were doing all our traveling Sat/Sun.

Left western suburbs of Chicago Sat 6/2 at 7:30am. The only issue we had was 24 was closed through downtown Nashville for the weekend so there was a bit of a back-up and detour but I don't think it impacted things too much. We stayed the night in Macon, GA at a Best Western. Got a GREAT rate through Costco, $65ish for a 2bd w/pull-out sofa and breakfast.

Left Disney Sat 6/9 at 1:30p, hit some very heavy rain about 1hr north that lasted quite a while and slowed things down. We stopped for the night in Dalton, GA just south of Chattanooga at a Country Inn & Suites. It was clean but older. We got a later start on Sunday leaving around 10a. Had no problems on the way back through Nashville. There was a sign on 57 about a 4mi back-up starting at MM88 so we hopped off and took SR 37 from south of Mt. Vernon to just north of it. Was a nice drive, speed limit for most of it was 55 and there was no one on it so we sailed right through with no problems. There was more construction in Effingham and again around Kankakee, traffic was heavier but no slow downs or stops.

It was a long drive but all went well. If airline prices continue as they are I'm guessing our road trips will become more of the norm as it wasn't too terrible. I agree about the cops, there were many but cruise control can be your friend. The other big thing I noticed was the huge difference in gas prices once you leave IL. On our way back we saw $2.98 in Paducah and $3.05 in Chattanooga but the norm was more like low $3.20s. It was quite a shock to come home to nearly $4 again.

Best of luck to those with trips this summer.
Glad you had a good, safe drive. I can tell you from our many trips to So. IL traffic always gets heavy through Kankakee and Effingham so it sounds like you got lucky with construction all and all! Hope the whole vacation was wonderful!
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #97
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What time did you arrive in Macon?

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #98
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I am taking a similar route and we are also staying at the Best Western in Macon, GA this Friday night.

A couple questions though: What time did you leave Macon in the morning? What time did you arrive in Orlando??
6/1986 - Off-Site; 11/1997 - Polynesian; 12/2001 - All Star Sports; 12/2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 12/2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 7/2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; 12/2014 - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #99
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
What time did you arrive in Macon?
We got to Macon around 10-10:30p local time. We did have one unplanned long stop for dinner just north of Chattanooga. We stopped at a Long John Silver/A&W, we decided to get out of the car and go in because we were sick of sitting. It took FOREVER!! I think they cooked every order individually and it was pretty busy. It was good we got hot fresh food but I didn't plan to stop for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am taking a similar route and we are also staying at the Best Western in Macon, GA this Friday night.

A couple questions though: What time did you leave Macon in the morning? What time did you arrive in Orlando??
We left Macon around 8-8:30a and got to our off-site hotel between 2-3p. We did stop off at Ellis' for some pecan snacks but it was a quick stop and a drive-thru lunch at Steak & Shake.

One other note: if you like BBQ we stopped at a great place in Valdosta called Smokin' Pig. It was delicious! They also have a restaurant in Macon.
irish dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #100
Mommygraham
Earning My Ears

We drove last May and took the I94 to I65 to I24 to I75 to US27 to US192 route as well. We were coming from the western suburbs of Chicago. We left our house at 6:00 a.m., and stopped at 9:00 p.m. in Byron, Georgia. There was a Holiday Inn Express, McDonald's, and several gas stations. The hotel was clean and worked just fine. The next day we had a 5 hour drive to Disney. On the way home, we left Disney at 9:00 a.m. and made it all the way to Jacksonville, KY by about 9:00 p.m. that night (We originally planned to stop just out of Nashville but everyone was fine so we kept on going). We stayed at a Hampton Inn (which was great, by the way).. We left in the a.m. at 8:00 a.m. We pulled into our driveway at 2:00 p.m. Keep in mind, we had a one year old and a 3 year old and a 9 year old, so we made many stops for diaper changes, food/snacks, etc.. I think it was really great to get the most of the driving out the way the first day. We will be flying when we go this fall, but will be happy to drive again on our next trip. I agree with you. It was exciting for the kids to see the different states, etc.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #101
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

You could take I65 all the way to Montgomery, Alabama. You would then take US 231 to Marianna Florida, and I-10 to I75 at Lake City, FL. You then take I75 to the Turnpike. You know the rest.

As for Houston to Orlando...take I10 to I75.

We would love for you to visit Alabama, and spend money. Plus, you don't have to worry about Atlanta traffic!!
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #102
DisDadMatt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches07 View Post
We'll be driving in November. Some great information here.
Thanks
We are from the same area and are driving down in November too.

We did the 57 route before but thinking about 65 this time.
DisDadMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #103
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

We are enroute now. We left Oswego, IL at 3:15 this morning, taking 47 down. We were making good time until we hit Atlanta. Tragic is horrible on I285. Ok, a truck was broken down judi now so hopefully we can start moving. It looks like McDonough will be our stop tonight.

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #104
Sunnywho
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBlueChip View Post
Thanks for all the info in this thread. We're leaving tomorrow mid-morning. For all the travelers with young ones, I found this place for our first stop south of Indianapolis. 2 miles off the expressway

It's a playground inside the Columbus Commons in Columbus, IN . I'd post a link, but it won't let me
great tip, thanks, we've added this to our itinerary

edited to add: here's a link that shows pictures of the playground, with a big climbing "tree" http://www.kid-at-art.com/htdoc/pground.html

Last edited by Sunnywho; 06-19-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Sunnywho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #105
DisDadMatt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
You could take I65 all the way to Montgomery, Alabama. You would then take US 231 to Marianna Florida, and I-10 to I75 at Lake City, FL. You then take I75 to the Turnpike. You know the rest.

As for Houston to Orlando...take I10 to I75.

We would love for you to visit Alabama, and spend money. Plus, you don't have to worry about Atlanta traffic!!
I was always curious about Alabama route but it seems as it would take longer... May have to wait until kids are older.
DisDadMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: