Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #76
Dislvr1020
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbunkins View Post
We donít stop at rest stops much. We try to make our bathrooms breaks and meal breaks when we stop for gas. But there is a really nice rest stop at Rend Lake. Itís just south of Mt Vernon, IL before you switch to I-27. There are rest stops on both sides, but the southbound one is much nicer. DH and I are usually making this trip in the dark, however the rare occasion we are driving during the day, we always stop.

Rend Lake is huge lake resort area and the rest stop is very nice. Itís a great spot to run around, take pictures and I think there is a playground but Iím not certain. Either way, if youíre looking for rest stops, this is the best one I can recommend!
Thanks!!!! I'll add that to my Google Maps Interactive map
Dislvr1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #77
Dislvr1020
Earning My Ears

57 not an option???

So for more fun, I've been playing with the interactive maps on Google. I noticed today that when you try to get driving directions from Northern burbs I get three options:
A: 65 through Indy
B: 65 but bypassing Indy
C: IL 24 which pretty much rides the border between IL and IN.

Nowhere does it mention taking 57 to 24...is this out of the way? I wonder why Mapquest nor Google is bringing this route up as an option?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #78
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislvr1020 View Post
So for more fun, I've been playing with the interactive maps on Google. I noticed today that when you try to get driving directions from Northern burbs I get three options:

Nowhere does it mention taking 57 to 24...is this out of the way? I wonder why Mapquest nor Google is bringing this route up as an option?
They usually give the shortest route, and 65 is about 20-30 minutes less driving time than 57. That's what I'm assuming anyway.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #79
droycro
Mouseketeer

Subscribing. We'll be driving straight through in March 2013. Some great information here. Thanks!
droycro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #80
patches07
DIS Veteran

We'll be driving in November. Some great information here.
Thanks

patches07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #81
kelleyrn2000
Mouseketeer

subscribing...driving in about 8 weeks!

Debating whether to leave Thurs night or early Fri morning and time our drive from N. IL.... to avoid Atlanta traffic...especially on a Friday. With three kids and having my MIL following us in her vehicle it's going to be tough!

I think we may try to leave Thurs night, stay in Paducah, KY overnight since DH and I will have worked all day before heading out. Then leave early Friday morning to try to get to Atlanta by 3pm (4pm due to time zone change...oops). Then we would arrive in Orlando around midnight. Unless we get stuck in traffic. That makes me nervous!!

Or we may try to leave home early Friday morning instead...then we'd be hitting Atlanta late Friday night. Then we would stay somewhere south of Atlanta overnight. but we wouldn't arrive in Orlando until Saturday evening.

We have gotten stuck in Atlanta traffic once before, and it wasn't fun! I think 4pm is going to be congested already, right?

kelleyrn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #82
kelleyrn2000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
This is my first time driving since 1995. We normally fly, but with 5 of us, it gets expensive, plus I am getting married down there to I will be having SO MUCH more stuff that I would typically take. My kids are at least excited to be able to check more states off of their visited list

Good point about the coupon books. I was also hoping there would be a lot of redboxes along the way, besides the stash I'm sure we will bring.
Great idea about the Redbox...thanks!!

We use the coupons books too. DH has even gone in to several places to bargain for a good rate late night and has done pretty good.

kelleyrn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #83
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dislvr1020 View Post

57 is a bit out of the way, and kinda boring. we like it because you don't hit a city until nashville. you avoid louisville and indianapolis. we live 40 miles NW of chicago, so we basically avaoid chicago, too.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #84
TheMorgans
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbunkins View Post
We donít stop at rest stops much. We try to make our bathrooms breaks and meal breaks when we stop for gas. But there is a really nice rest stop at Rend Lake. Itís just south of Mt Vernon, IL before you switch to I-27. There are rest stops on both sides, but the southbound one is much nicer. DH and I are usually making this trip in the dark, however the rare occasion we are driving during the day, we always stop.

Rend Lake is huge lake resort area and the rest stop is very nice. Itís a great spot to run around, take pictures and I think there is a playground but Iím not certain. Either way, if youíre looking for rest stops, this is the best one I can recommend!

Since you are traveling in the next few weeks, if you can AVOID I-57 in this area. Road construction in this area is AWFUL!!!! The north and south bound lanes are both using the southboud lane and traffic is a BEAR almost every day. Delays of 1-2 hours are common just to travel about 20 miles through the construction area. The detour takes you on a county highway and goes through multiple small towns which are speed traps. JUST SAYING....

TheMorgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #85
Dislvr1020
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMorgans View Post
Since you are traveling in the next few weeks, if you can AVOID I-57 in this area. Road construction in this area is AWFUL!!!! The north and south bound lanes are both using the southboud lane and traffic is a BEAR almost every day. Delays of 1-2 hours are common just to travel about 20 miles through the construction area. The detour takes you on a county highway and goes through multiple small towns which are speed traps. JUST SAYING....
Thanks for the heads up!!! My DH was wanting to take 65 through Indiana anyway when we leave in about 3 weeks, so I supposed this is one more reason to lean that way. Though that's a bummer b/c I was looking forward to an awesome rest stop
Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #86
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am SO glad I checked back on this thread. We leave next week, and as much as I hate 65, I hate being stopped in traffic more. Many thanks!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #87
Poohbug
Sherlocked

Leaving in a few days and I was going to take I57 to I24. I guess I could take I74 over to I65 and then to I24 to miss the construction. I will have to go through Indianapolis and Louisville and I wonder if dealing with the traffic in two cities will be worse than dealing with the construction delays. Any advice? I have been to Indy before but never to Louisville.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #88
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbug View Post
Leaving in a few days and I was going to take I57 to I24. I guess I could take I74 over to I65 and then to I24 to miss the construction. I will have to go through Indianapolis and Louisville and I wonder if dealing with the traffic in two cities will be worse than dealing with the construction delays. Any advice? I have been to Indy before but never to Louisville.
We're coming from he south suburbs of Chicago, close to 57, and taking the 57-74-65-24 route adds about an hour to our drive time. You might be better off just shooting over 80 to 65, assuming you're coming down 355.

We've driven a few times and the only city I remember dealing with traffic etc. was Atlanta.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #89
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. We were waffling back and forth between 57 or 65, but think that this seals the deal for us too. Do you know how long construction on 57 is expected to last? TIA for any information.
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #90
peppermintpea
Earning My Ears

Ugh we are driving now and our gps told us to go way of nc sc ga....I'm not sure how much time we lost having not gone through atl. I75 was detoured in tn for about 45 min through the mts....
We are almost to jacksonville....I do say the smoky mts were beautiful

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: