Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #46
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSTigerFan View Post
Best way we have ever did it from the Joliet area is leaving at 2:00AM, by 7:00 we are into Kentucky and shortly there after stop for breakfast about 30miles south of Paducah, north of Atlanta for lunch and into the Gainesville or Ocala areas for dinner and hotel...
Oh good, that was what I was planning on doing. It makes it sound doable!

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #47
smidgy
dimples

coming from 45 miles NW of chicago (elgin area) sometimes we take 65, some times 57.

either way, when we approach Nashville, we always take the 155Briley parkway bypass. and, even tho the GOPS tells you to go on 40 for a bit, we don't. we stay on 155 briley parkway. yes, it becomes a state route for a mile or so, and has a couple stoplights, but it's less confusing. and so much less stressful then going through downtown nashville.

we always try to make it past atlanta the first day. through the city or the bypass??? we change our mind all the time on this one!

when we enter GA< we stop at the first rest stop and grab the room saver coupon books.

we usually end up staying at an AMerica's best Value, in Perry, ga.. you can walk to a burger king. we are just there long enough for a cocktail in the room, a walk to burger king, and sleep.

there are places, though on the macon (475?) bypass. if you don't make perry. or planty places in all those ittle towns in south GA along 75. watch the speed traps!!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #48
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarv View Post
My primary reason for suggesting that you spend the night south of Atlanta would be because their rush-hour traffic can be almost as gruesome as it is out here in LA.

If you spent the night in Chattanooga, you'd have to be out of your hotel & on the road extremely early in order to beat Atlanta's traffic.

If you spent the night in one of those suburbs, you could rise at 6AM, be on the road by 7AM, & arrive at WDW in the early afternoon, depending on how long and where you had breakfast, and a potty break/snack shop stop between suburban Atlanta & WDW.

The 355/I80/I57 route has gotten more votes than the I65 route on this board from what I recall, but it's been pretty close.

HTH.
this. hubby likes to get past atlanta, get as far south as possible the first day. the 2nd day, his back is aching, the kids are cranky (oh, yeah, we're empty nesters... the WIFE is cranky ) anyhoo, he likes to get to disney as soon as possible, check in, and get by that pool! so WHAT if the room isn't ready? we're in DISNEY!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 AM   #49
Bouncin-Tigger
DVC + DIS = Expensive Habit

I might be solo on this one but we just go straight thru, our theory is why waste 2 days when we can do it overnight and get more time at wdw. It might be lil boring at times but is not bad at all. We leave at 4pm and at resort by 11 or noon.
10/19-10/26 1br BLT
2014 TRIPS
5/29-6/9 1 br SSR
8/1-8/8 Art of Animation
12/13-12/21 1 br BLT
Bouncin-Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM   #50
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncin-Tigger View Post
I might be solo on this one but we just go straight thru, our theory is why waste 2 days when we can do it overnight and get more time at wdw. It might be lil boring at times but is not bad at all. We leave at 4pm and at resort by 11 or noon.
We do the same thing. We used to stop overnight but it was so much work to get everyone up and ready the next day that we decided to skip it last trip and it worked out just fine.
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #51
LHARPSTER
Lori

Im gonna keep my eye on this post. We are coming from Lake Geneva area here in WI and Im trying to find the best way too. Do you guys ever take bypasses around the major cities or stay on the main route?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #52
peppermintpea
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncin-Tigger View Post
Nope...we are totally doing this on our June trip! no wasting good WDW time in a non WDW hotel! We will rotate drivers...stop for breaks and eats!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #53
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHARPSTER View Post
Im gonna keep my eye on this post. We are coming from Lake Geneva area here in WI and Im trying to find the best way too. Do you guys ever take bypasses around the major cities or stay on the main route?
The only bypass that we take is 475 around Macon. I75 veers east goes into Macon and then veers west again and adds extra miles- I475 goes straight down and rejoins I75 south of Macon.
We do not go around Atlanta - that adds on way too many miles and time and that road around is just as congested as I75 through Atlanta. If there are two or more people in the car, you can go in the HOV lane which usually moves a little better during rush hours.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #54
theclarks53158
Earning My Ears

So excited about this...we are coming from Kenosha, WI - and are planning to drive through this time. Last time we stopped around Atalanta but that was a pain. We are also planning on leaving Sat mid afternoon and reach Disney the next afternoon. Figure the kids would sleep for 12 hours of the drive overnight. There is no better feeling in the WORLD, then getting out of the car after that drive at your resort and hitting the pool! I too would like to fly but too much money! I hoping that the gas prices don't go sky high around labor day that when we are going. Thanks for everyone's advise.
theclarks53158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #55
BobbyBlueChip
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the info in this thread. We're leaving tomorrow mid-morning. For all the travelers with young ones, I found this place for our first stop south of Indianapolis. 2 miles off the expressway

It's a playground inside the Columbus Commons in Columbus, IN . I'd post a link, but it won't let me
BobbyBlueChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:58 PM   #56
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHARPSTER View Post
bypass chicago, take 53, to 355 to 80 to 57 (if going thru illinois) or 53 to 290 to 294 to 80 if going through indianan.

we lately have bee bypasing nashville. we like the 155 briley parkway. (whether you approach nashville from 24 (the illinois route ) OR 65 (the indiana route).

yes, you end up hitting a couple stop lights, but it is mostly an interstae, (you go past oprey land) and is much less "harried" then through downtown Nashville.

the atlanta bypass? we keep changing our minds about that one.. the one thing to remember, most of the truck HAVEW to take the bypass, so there are tons of trucks on it, as oppsed to going straight through.

of course, take 475 around macon, ga.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #57
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

I-75 Southbound Closed Near KY-TN Border

The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says southbound I-75 has been closed just across the Tennessee line because of a sinkhole that developed in northern Tennessee. The closure will force thousands of southbound travelers to take a 26 mile detour to get around the site
http://wkyufm.org/post/i-75-southbou...r-ky-tn-border
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #58
LadyBeBop
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyBlueChip View Post
Thanks for all the info in this thread. We're leaving tomorrow mid-morning. For all the travelers with young ones, I found this place for our first stop south of Indianapolis. 2 miles off the expressway

It's a playground inside the Columbus Commons in Columbus, IN . I'd post a link, but it won't let me
Here we go.

http://www.thecommonscolumbus.com/thecommons/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearts8701 View Post
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says southbound I-75 has been closed just across the Tennessee line because of a sinkhole that developed in northern Tennessee. The closure will force thousands of southbound travelers to take a 26 mile detour to get around the site
http://wkyufm.org/post/i-75-southbou...r-ky-tn-border
That portion has been open and closed for the better part of two months now. Right now, it is closed (scheduled to reopen on Monday). Even when it's open, it's down to one lane both ways, so it could be backed up for miles. This is supposed to continue until August.

It affects me, since I come down from Cincinnati. However, for those coming from Chicago or Wisconsin, you'd probably be taking I-57 or 65. it should only affect you if you decide to go through Cincinnati.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
What? 2019 or 2020? Say it ain't so!

You must "sneak in a day" next year. That's an order!

Last edited by LadyBeBop; 05-18-2012 at 08:41 AM.
LadyBeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM   #59
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
bypass chicago, take 53, to 355 to 80 to 57 (if going thru illinois) or 53 to 290 to 294 to 80 if going through indianan.

Why not take 355 to 80 to 65? Seems like it would be more direct and keep you away from 290 as well.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #60
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Only two weeks until our trip - but we won't be going directly to Disney. Our trip to Disney will be over 2000 miles down and over 1000 miles back as we have to go to Houston first for our grandson's graduation and eagle scout ceremony. Then on to Disney from there. Much more economical to combine the trips, we save one leg gas and hotel by doing a triangle trip.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: