Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #16
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
Thanks for the route info. Good to know about the GA speed traps (at least that is what it sounds like).
And the thing about GA speed traps is that there isn't a set fine like in IL - it could run in the hundreds. Also if you are 15 mph or more over there is an extra $200 tacked on by the state. Turner County uses Laser guns so a radar detector doesn't help.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you couldn't have found that on your own. Just saying were it me the 65/24/75 route is the way *I* would go rather than 57/24/75
No problem! Thanks!

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2014 - AoA / RP @ US June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #18
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

If you DO take the 57 route, shout out. I probably have everything that exists from I64-Chattnooga memorized
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
If you DO take the 57 route, shout out. I probably have everything that exists from I64-Chattnooga memorized
Gumbo, my plan is to stay the night in Chattanooga and see some sights and also go to Ruby Falls/the cave there and probably lookout mountain. Where would be a good place to stay? I haven't been there in years, lots of years. lol

Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino

Old 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #20
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Gumbo, my plan is to stay the night in Chattanooga and see some sights and also go to Ruby Falls/the cave there and probably lookout mountain. Where would be a good place to stay? I haven't been there in years, lots of years. lol
We usually grab a Super 8 or something similar if we stay in Chattanooga. There's tons of options though. If we can get in there early enough, we'll hit the aquarium on arrival night, then fast food & let the kids swim at the hotel. Then Lookout Mtn the next morning before heading out.
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #21
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

I have one more somewhat related question. I'm not sure what states enroute to WDW have tolls. Will an I-Pass (Illinois toll payment system) work for all the tolls? I was pleasantly surprised it did when we went to Cedar Point (OH) last summer.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

No the I-pass is not compatible with Florida Toll roads. Florida uses the Sun Pass which uses a different protocol from the I-pass. You would want to take the Florida Turnpike (a toll road) from I75 to Disney. You could continue to I4 to avoid the toll road, but saving the toll it isn't worth the extra mileage or time.
If you plan on driving to Disney often, it might be worth it to buy a Sun-pass. You can get a Sunpass sticker for a minimal amount ($5 for the sticker and a minimum of $10 to the account)- however it must be affixed to the windshield and is not transferable.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. I'm just hoping to survive this drive down

Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
MrMarv
DIS Veteran

You might consider shooting for spending the night in any of the suburbs on Atlanta's south side; I'd recommend Morrow, GA, which is 135 miles south of Chattanooga, and some 430 miles from WDW.

But as others have stated, you have plenty of options, and it all depends on what time you leave Aurora for the 12 hour trip to Morrow; there'll be plenty of hotels in all price ranges at the Jonesboro Rd. exit (HWY 54), as well as McDonalds, IHOP, Soneys, Cracker Barrel & all the rest.

Have a great trip!

http://www.roomsaver.com, http://www.wyndhamrewards.com, and http://www.choicehotels.com have all the hotels and motels you'll ever need in all price ranges.

Last edited by MrMarv; 04-06-2012 at 10:45 PM.
MrMarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #25
drinkme
DIS Veteran

The 2 times we drove from Chicago (never again! lol), we went both ways: I-65 & I-57. We thought I-57 was better with snow removal, but you won't have to worry about that driving in June.

The drive through Illinois and Indiana are both boring, so I don't think it really matters! lol.

Congrats on your wedding!

Oh, and when we drove the last time (years ago), I went on McDonalds website and it has a map feature on it. You put in your destination and it lists all of the playlands along your route. It comes in handy when you have small kids who have been sitting in car seats for hours. Though, once you get south of Kentucky, we noticed the playlands were all outdoors.

If I can find my travel info from our drives, I'll post back on where we stayed in Chattanooga. We had 2 great hotels we stayed at. One was a inexpensive one-bedroom suite. This was in a business district with more conference-style hotels. It had a pool, and the room had lots of space, so it worked for us. The other one was near the housing districts. Affordable family-style restaurants within walking distance. It had a pool, too.

HTH
drinkme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #26
peppermintpea
Earning My Ears

We are going to drive for the 1st time ever STRAIGHT THROUGH!..... We always fly but those rates are outrageous!!!!
We also live in the area of the OP and we were thinking i65. Hmmmm but peeps are saying different interesting......
Anymore tips? Keep them coming!
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #27
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.

Quote:
Right now we have reservations just south of the I24/I75 interchange at a Holiday Inn Express

However, after reading some of the comments I might leave a couple hours earlier and try to get to near Atlanta. Having only 400+ miles left for the next day's drive is very attractive.
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS; 2013 - Mom Panel Training - Boardwalk; 2014 - Christmas - Grand Floridian

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarv View Post
You might consider shooting for spending the night in any of the suburbs on Atlanta's south side; I'd recommend Morrow, GA, which is 135 miles south of Chattanooga, and some 430 miles from WDW.

But as others have stated, you have plenty of options, and it all depends on what time you leave Aurora for the 12 hour trip to Morrow; there'll be plenty of hotels in all price ranges at the Jonesboro Rd. exit (HWY 54), as well as McDonalds, IHOP, Soneys, Cracker Barrel & all the rest.

Have a great trip!

http://www.roomsaver.com, http://www.wyndhamrewards.com, and http://www.choicehotels.com have all the hotels and motels you'll ever need in all price ranges.
From all my research, I want to get past Atlanta and as far south as possible. If I can get even more than 12 hours, I will be happy, not so sure about the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkme View Post
The 2 times we drove from Chicago (never again! lol), we went both ways: I-65 & I-57. We thought I-57 was better with snow removal, but you won't have to worry about that driving in June.

The drive through Illinois and Indiana are both boring, so I don't think it really matters! lol.

Congrats on your wedding!

Oh, and when we drove the last time (years ago), I went on McDonalds website and it has a map feature on it. You put in your destination and it lists all of the playlands along your route. It comes in handy when you have small kids who have been sitting in car seats for hours. Though, once you get south of Kentucky, we noticed the playlands were all outdoors.

If I can find my travel info from our drives, I'll post back on where we stayed in Chattanooga. We had 2 great hotels we stayed at. One was a inexpensive one-bedroom suite. This was in a business district with more conference-style hotels. It had a pool, and the room had lots of space, so it worked for us. The other one was near the housing districts. Affordable family-style restaurants within walking distance. It had a pool, too.

HTH
Thanks! Our kids are 15, 11, and 9, but may be tempted to go to the playland. I do plan on throwing a soccer ball in the car so we have something to kick around at rest areas. Please share any Chattanooga info you can find.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #29
2dogmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintpea View Post
We are going to drive for the 1st time ever STRAIGHT THROUGH!..... We always fly but those rates are outrageous!!!!
We also live in the area of the OP and we were thinking i65. Hmmmm but peeps are saying different interesting......
Anymore tips? Keep them coming!
Looks like you go before me. Be sure to update what worked for you

Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #30
MrMarv
DIS Veteran

My primary reason for suggesting that you spend the night south of Atlanta would be because their rush-hour traffic can be almost as gruesome as it is out here in LA.

If you spent the night in Chattanooga, you'd have to be out of your hotel & on the road extremely early in order to beat Atlanta's traffic.

If you spent the night in one of those suburbs, you could rise at 6AM, be on the road by 7AM, & arrive at WDW in the early afternoon, depending on how long and where you had breakfast, and a potty break/snack shop stop between suburban Atlanta & WDW.

The 355/I80/I57 route has gotten more votes than the I65 route on this board from what I recall, but it's been pretty close.

HTH.
MrMarv is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: