Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #136
droycro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyF View Post
Last March we left at about 3:00 and pulled in to SSR at about noon.
(had to go look at my FB pics to see the time stamps, LOL)

We stopped a few times, a couple longer (Waffle House) stops and several coffee/potty breaks. Never more than 30 or 45 minutes
Thanks! Enjoy your upcoming trip

March 1997 - POFQ
January 2003 - offsite
January 2004 - Beach Club and Disney Magic (land & sea package)
May 2005 - Contemporary
May 2006 - Contemporary
July 2010 - Fort Wilderness
March 2013 - POR
droycro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #137
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethanyF View Post

we are leaving this Friday at about 1:30pm and driving straight through. 2 drivers and a 14 year old.
I'm debating between 65 and 57 since our departure time is going to put us in Indianapolis at rush hour. Or is that not really a problem?

The plan is for DH to drive out of Chicago and then I can take over for a couple hours. Then we will rotate as needed. DH prefers driving to being a passenger, so I don't really drive too much. I usually end up doing a few hours in Georgia since that is about when he hits his 'wall' and needs a break.

I used to pack all kinds of food & drinks, but found we don't really use what I pack. Plus the few minutes to stretch is a welcome break. So we stop as needed, get reenergized and keep going.

Driving at this time of year is new to us, we usually go down at spring break. I'm not looking forward to the shortened daylight hours. I have my Kindle for books & movies, but I prefer paging through my stack of unread magazines. I read them and then leave them at rest stops with a 'help yourself' sticker for others to read on their trips.

I know this can be touchy, but does anyone know what cigarette prices are along the way? They are expensive here, so if I know where to find them cheap along the way I can plan accordingly.
we prefer 57, but we are coming from carpentersville, and take 53 south to 355 to 80 to 57. the other way, we take 53 to 290 to 294 t0 80 east to 65.

we take the briley parkway around nashvilee and don't really hit a city until chatanooga when we take 57. but the bypass around indainapolis isn't bad,

it is not "touchy" that you smoke, we used to ourselves. cigs are cheaper in kentucky, safe travels!!!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #138
BethanyF
Id rather be 'stuck' at SSR
This just happened at the right time
I got in with no problem

We are starting from Schaumburg

I'm thinking 57 might be the way to go to avoid Indianapolis (and those scary looking giant windmills, LOL)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #139
smidgy
dimples

Illinois has a lower speed limit than Indiana. and 57 can be boring. other thatn that, we love it. stay on 53 to 355. it's really nice. you are only on 80for a very short time. when you get to nashville, take the 155 briley parkway (it will turn into a regular road with a couple stop lights, for just for a while. )

you will not actually go through a city until chatanooga.

ps. we have tried so many ways to avoid atlanta. we ahve stayed on 65 into alabama, and taken a few routes. I guess it's just better to suck it up.

we do prefer the bypass. frineds of ours swear by going straight through, and using the car pool lane. (I despise atlanta)
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #140
BethanyF
Id rather be 'stuck' at SSR
This just happened at the right time
I got in with no problem

we usually plan it so we are going through Atlanta in the middle of the night or on a weekend day.

I used to have a friend that lived just outside Atlanta, so learned really quickly to avoid rush hour.

I'm starting to get anxious to get moving. DS arranged to take Friday's algebra final tomorrow, so there is a really good chance he won't be going to school on Friday. Or, if he does, we will pick him up before lunch since he only has study hall and algebra after lunch.

We still won't be on the road until noon or so since we have to take the dog to the kennel and have a couple other quick errands to run.

Is it Friday yet?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #141
smidgy
dimples

we can't drive at night, so we are limited. however, hubby is retired, so when we do drive, somehow we end up talking ourselves into leaving a day early, spend an extra night on the road.

which eventually usually turns into a night in Kissimmee, where we eat at the ponderosa, and check in super early at our WDW resort the next day!!!

how cool for you, christmas in disney! have a safe trip, you will be leaving after the thursday night snow. have fun!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #142
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

I'm subbing to this thread because one of these days we will drive because flying a family of 6 MDW > MCO is getting expensive.

We have June reservations and managed to get flights using our points.

We also have Thanksgiving reservations and its too early to book flights - but we're out of points (saving them for the next 6 months until November flights open up) so we might end up driving.

My only worry is winter driving. It's been great the last 2 Christmases but what if we decide we'll drive and then got the weather? Ack!

Also, so far DH hasn't agreed to drive round trip. He's agreed to drive one way, but is adamant that he wouldn't want to do it going back coz he just "relaxed from vacation and wouldn't want to stress again" Maybe I'll have to drive back.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:09 PM   #143
CamnWS6
Earning My Ears

My wife and I made this trip with our two kids ( 5 & 5 months) last September and are planning on doing it again this May. We drove straight through both ways. We took the 65 to 24 to 75 route. Pretty much only stopped for gas and grabbing a quick bite to eat at a fast food place (drive-thru). I did most of the driving. I got us down to Georgia before finally needing to let my eyes rest a little bit. The two parts of the trip that were the worst were the bottom half of Georgia and Indiana. Very boring to drive through. We left Elk Grove around 3:40pm and were at our resort at 11:00am the next morning.

CamnWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #144
N.Lo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamnWS6 View Post
My wife and I made this trip with our two kids ( 5 & 5 months) last September and are planning on doing it again this May. We drove straight through both ways. We took the 65 to 24 to 75 route. Pretty much only stopped for gas and grabbing a quick bite to eat at a fast food place (drive-thru). I did most of the driving. I got us down to Georgia before finally needing to let my eyes rest a little bit. The two parts of the trip that were the worst were the bottom half of Georgia and Indiana. Very boring to drive through. We left Elk Grove around 3:40pm and were at our resort at 11:00am the next morning.
We are making the trip down in March for our cruise. My DH is much more excited for driving than I am. We are also in Elk Grove. You have given me hope!
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #145
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

We are taking the trip from NW Indiana to Orlando next month and we will be driving for the first time. I am nervous, nobody else in the family seems nervous at all. I know we need to avoid rush hour Atlanta. We are going pretty slow and not driving non stop. Subbing here to see how others are doing it/have done it.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #146
droycro
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamnWS6 View Post
We are driving down in March, and we plan to leave around 2pm. We live in Algonquin. Based on your travel times, we should be at the World before lunch. Thanks for posting!

March 1997 - POFQ
January 2003 - offsite
January 2004 - Beach Club and Disney Magic (land & sea package)
May 2005 - Contemporary
May 2006 - Contemporary
July 2010 - Fort Wilderness
March 2013 - POR
droycro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #147
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
I'm subbing to this thread because one of these days we will drive because flying a family of 6 MDW > MCO is getting expensive.

We have June reservations and managed to get flights using our points.

We also have Thanksgiving reservations and its too early to book flights - but we're out of points (saving them for the next 6 months until November flights open up) so we might end up driving.

My only worry is winter driving. It's been great the last 2 Christmases but what if we decide we'll drive and then got the weather? Ack!

Also, so far DH hasn't agreed to drive round trip. He's agreed to drive one way, but is adamant that he wouldn't want to do it going back coz he just "relaxed from vacation and wouldn't want to stress again" Maybe I'll have to drive back.
We have driven down in Nov. and Dec. and usually allow ourselves an extra day just in case.
I will usually make a non-Disney reservation for the night we expect to arrive with our Disney reservation starting the night after. The non-Disney reservation is cancellable - we usually know by the time you need to cancel if we will make it down that day.
If we realize we can't make it, we can cancel that non-Disney reservation and stop along the way. If we had that night as a Disney reservation, we would be charged for that night and still have to pay for a room along the way. It we don't have to cancel, it actually works out great as we can get a good nights rest (have dinner and maybe shop at downtown Disney) and be ready to check into our Disney hotel, leave the bags, and hit the parks in the morning rested and relaxed.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #148
CamnWS6
Earning My Ears

We missed Atlanta rush hour both on the way down and back, but there was a good amount of construction in Kentucky and some of Tennessee. We hit that at night as well so I am not sure how that would be during the day. I actually really enjoyed driving though. The only thing that stunk was we drove through the mountains at night and didn't get to see the views. We are deciding if we want to change that this time or do it how we did last time without some of the traffic issues.

With leaving when we did thought the kids were only up for maybe half the trip.

CamnWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #149
afcgirl
DIS Veteran

Spring break

Hi, driving from Chicago burbs to DW in 10 days. We always take 65 (faster than 57) to 24 to 75.

Any construction issues lately? We are leaving in the afternoon this time and only driving to Louisville first day, so second day will be the long one.

Also, to those who drive straight through the night, how do you do it? Aren't you worried about safety issues? Also I feel I can't see good at night :
Would love to get there in one day though.

July 2004: Wilderness lodge/Disney Wonder
July 2005: POR
March 2006: Pop Century
August 2006: Wilderness Lodge
July 2007: Polynesian Resort
July 2008: Coronado Springs
July 2-11, 2009: Coronado Springs
March 2011: Coronado Springs
March 2012: Coronado Springs
March 2013: The Swan
Upcoming: March 2014: The Yacht Club!!!
afcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #150
HHSTigerFan
DIS Veteran

We normally take 57, have tried 65 a few, never seems to save us time and then need to mess with NWI and Indy, no thanks..

Leave at like 2AM, if you hustle will be down there by 9:00... Rather quite easy..
HHSTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: