Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
2dogmom
DIS Veteran
 
2dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 752

Question Best route - Chicago to Orlando

I know there are some old threads out there with routes from the Chicago area to Orlando. I was wondering if anyone can share what is the best route you have taken. I plan on leaving from the Southwest suburbs (Oswego/Aurora area). Also, what do you do about getting good rates at a hotel along the way. I plan to drive us as far as we can make it (hopefully past Atlanta) and stop for the night. TIA!
__________________
Gina

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 11,042

http://classic.mapquest.com/maps?1c=...377388&2v=CITY
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
2dogmom
DIS Veteran
 
2dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 752

I know I could mapquest it, but I have read about avoiding certain highways/truck routes so I was looking for firsthand knowledge of what was good.
__________________
Gina

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Gr8t Fan
DIS Veteran
 
Gr8t Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,170

We used to take I57 to I24 to I75 to the Turnpike. Last trip we took I65 (to I24 to I75 to Turnpike) through Indiana and felt we made better time, and the road conditions overall were better. We're going to take I65 again this Summer as DH and I both felt it was an easier/faster drive.

As far as a hotel on the way down, we used to stop just before Atlanta (between 10-11pm and used Priceline for our hotel) but on our last trip we kept driving and did just fine. The way home was a LOT harder and we struggled and stopped at a rest area in Indiana for an hour or two, but we're planning the same return trip this year.

Last edited by Gr8t Fan; 03-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Gr8t Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,441

We live in the Naperville, Downers Grove area and drive to FL and Disney about 4 times a year or more. We have tried (a couple of times) the I65 route through IN that the previous poster likes and found that we prefer the 355 to I80 to I57 to I24 to I75 to Florida Turnpike route better. We found that the time difference is minimal between the routes (less than 1/2 hour difference). I65 has way more truck traffic and is more stressful - at least in our opinion.
We do divide the trip into two days. On the way down, we stop in Forsyth, GA south of Atlanta. By leaving there by 11am, we can make it to Disney around 3pm.
On the way back, we stop in Manchester, TN - northwest of Chattanooga.
Both of these stops puts more than half the driving on the first day.
The one thing that I would caution you on is to watch your speed in GA especially in Turner County (mile marker 85-74) to the FL border. There have been times where we have seen as many as 4 sheriff's cars clocking in a ten mile stretch.

Last edited by cruisingkat; 03-29-2012 at 05:25 AM.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
2dogmom
DIS Veteran
 
2dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 752

Thanks for the route info. Good to know about the GA speed traps (at least that is what it sounds like).
__________________
Gina

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #7
dgr1973
DIS Veteran
 
dgr1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntley, Illinois
Posts: 584

I live in the Chicago area and for us the best route is to get ourselves to O'hare or maybe Midway in your case and fly to Orlando! Just joking with ya! We have never driven so I can't say cause I can barely stand stand the drive to the Dells! Good luck.
__________________
(Me) (DH) (DD16) (DD13)
dgr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
hearts8701
DIS Veteran
 
hearts8701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,716

we live in chicago o'hare area and drive down about 4 times a year my friends drive from oswego and take 57
we prefer 65 to 24 to 75 to the turnpike to 429 exit at western way to disney we stop just passed atlanta on the way down atlanta is about 6-61/2 hours to disney we drive straight thru going home
heavy traffic spots are nashville where 65 meets 24 avoid rush hour traffic in atlanta at any cost
we never make hotel reservations unless its a hoilday when i enter georgia stop at a welcome center for a hotel coupon book when we get tired we have plenty of choices to choose from i tend to stop at exits that have what will need in the AM such as gas, a drive thru breakfast & coffee
to make the time go by i rent movies at redbox and return them at 7-11 on 192 or any walmart kangaroo gas station in fl exit 375 has a redbox
__________________
hearts8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
2dogmom
DIS Veteran
 
2dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr1973 View Post
I live in the Chicago area and for us the best route is to get ourselves to O'hare or maybe Midway in your case and fly to Orlando! Just joking with ya! We have never driven so I can't say cause I can barely stand stand the drive to the Dells! Good luck.
This is my first time driving since 1995. We normally fly, but with 5 of us, it gets expensive, plus I am getting married down there to I will be having SO MUCH more stuff that I would typically take. My kids are at least excited to be able to check more states off of their visited list

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearts8701 View Post
we live in chicago o'hare area and drive down about 4 times a year my friends drive from oswego and take 57
we prefer 65 to 24 to 75 to the turnpike to 429 exit at western way to disney we stop just passed atlanta on the way down atlanta is about 6-61/2 hours to disney we drive straight thru going home
heavy traffic spots are nashville where 65 meets 24 avoid rush hour traffic in atlanta at any cost
we never make hotel reservations unless its a hoilday when i enter georgia stop at a welcome center for a hotel coupon book when we get tired we have plenty of choices to choose from i tend to stop at exits that have what will need in the AM such as gas, a drive thru breakfast & coffee
to make the time go by i rent movies at redbox and return them at 7-11 on 192 or any walmart kangaroo gas station in fl exit 375 has a redbox
Good point about the coupon books. I was also hoping there would be a lot of redboxes along the way, besides the stash I'm sure we will bring.
__________________
Gina

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
dgr1973
DIS Veteran
 
dgr1973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Huntley, Illinois
Posts: 584

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
This is my first time driving since 1995. We normally fly, but with 5 of us, it gets expensive, plus I am getting married down there to I will be having SO MUCH more stuff that I would typically take. My kids are at least excited to be able to check more states off of their visited list
Oh yay congrats how exciting!!! I agree it is very expensive to fly and I see you will be there the same time as us and this trip is costing 1300.00 for 4 of us when in the past it has been around 700.00-800.00! It was hard to pay that much more but the thought of driving for me but I know so many people that do it and don't mind. I think I have adult A.D.D. lol!
__________________
(Me) (DH) (DD16) (DD13)
dgr1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
2dogmom
DIS Veteran
 
2dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr1973 View Post
Oh yay congrats how exciting!!! I agree it is very expensive to fly and I see you will be there the same time as us and this trip is costing 1300.00 for 4 of us when in the past it has been around 700.00-800.00! It was hard to pay that much more but the thought of driving for me but I know so many people that do it and don't mind. I think I have adult A.D.D. lol!
Thanks! I priced at least $1,500 for flights. That's crazy. A far cry from the good old cheap days. Plus my daughter and I get severe migraines on descent on flights so it may be worth driving. I do have a lot of memories of driving when I was little, hopefully I will have good memories with the 3 girls
__________________
Gina

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Carlisle, Indiana
Posts: 1,097

We drove to Disney last year from NW Indiana. We took I94 to I65 to I24 to I75 to US27 to US192. We were in Chattanooga by 2am and got to Kissimmee at around 11:30am.

Edited to say: I forgot to add that we stopped for dinner in Louisville for about an hour and we also stopped just south of Valdosta, Georgia for breakfast for about an hour.
__________________
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
2dogmom
DIS Veteran
 
2dogmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oswego, IL
Posts: 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
We drove to Disney last year from NW Indiana. We took I94 to I65 to I24 to I75 to US27 to US192. We were in Chattanooga by 2am and got to Kissimmee at around 11:30am.

Edited to say: I forgot to add that we stopped for dinner in Louisville for about an hour and we also stopped just south of Valdosta, Georgia for breakfast for about an hour.
What time did you start your adventure?
__________________
Gina

My Wedding Planning Journal

June, 2012 - My Swan Wedding / BC-CL
Nov 2010 - POR Aug 2008 - Poly Dec 2007 - Poly/WL Dec 2006 - Poly Sept 2006 - Portofino
Dec 2005 - Poly May 2005 - WL/Poly Oct 2004 - Poly Feb 2003 - CS Oct 2002 - AKL

2dogmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
Suzanne033
Nobody on their deathbed ever wishes they spent more time at the office.
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Carlisle, Indiana
Posts: 1,097

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
What time did you start your adventure?
We left around 4:00pm (Eastern time).

We live abt 30 minutes east of I65 so we had quite a debate on whether to go west and take I65 or go towards South Bend and take US31 to I65 in Indianapolis. I think we made the right decision because US31 has quite a few stoplight especially around Kokomo.
__________________
1986 - Off-Site; 1997 - Thanksgiving - Polynesian; 2001 - Christmas - All Star Sports; 2004 - Beach Club/Disney Wonder; 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - AAU Volleyball Nationals @ WWoS

MouseQuest Podcast - The MQ is your HQ for all things Disney
Suzanne033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 11,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogmom View Post
I know I could mapquest it, but I have read about avoiding certain highways/truck routes so I was looking for firsthand knowledge of what was good.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply you couldn't have found that on your own. Just saying were it me the 65/24/75 route is the way *I* would go rather than 57/24/75
Gumbo4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.