Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

If it were me, I would not do 2 TS at Epcot during F&W. Too many yummy choices. We're doing Via Napoli for the first time this trip, so I can let you know in a month or so how we liked it.

I saw that someone suggested a late breakfast at H&V--that might work out if you do the Fantasmic package, because arent all the dinner times for that super early? When I've looked into it, the times were all at like 3 or 4 pm for dinner.

I did not bood Sci-Fi this trip specifically because I was afraid that Maddie would be scared, plus some of the movie clips can be pretty inappropriate IMO.

Hope it helps! Good luck, and happy party day to Reid!
shan23877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #32
Minnie&Nana
Dreams do come true!
Pretty darn charming!

Hi, Amanda!

What a beautiful family! Reid is just adorable!

Just found your PTR in your post when catching up on the RC thread, so came right over - certainly do not want to miss the fun!

Going to catch up - page three, not too bad!

Minnie&Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #33
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLuvLuv View Post
I'm here!!
Hi, there! Thanks for coming over & joining in!

Quote:
H&V's breakfast is reallllllly good. Maybe do a late breakfast that will suffice for lunch too??
I was thinking of possibly doing that for H&V. And then we could do an early dinner at ADR @ MM.

Quote:
We've had Sci Fi twice, and Mama Melrose 3 times. I liked all 3 Mama Melrose, and neither one of the Sci Fi Well one Sci Fi I didn't like, and one was mediocre. The F! package will be worth it!
I think I'm starting to strongly lean towards MM versus Sci-Fi.

Quote:
Chefs vs. Via Napoli: Love them both for lunch. Via Napoli is a fave for me so it takes the lead.
That's good to know that you like them both for lunch. I am really excited to try out Via Napoli. We were supposed to eat there last May but Ed asked me to cancel our ADR & book us at Rose & Crown instead. R&C was really good but I am excited to finally try Via Napoli this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
My thoughts:

We enjoy both Sci-Fi and Mama Melrose. Sci-Fi you are better off with just the burgers or reuben (and the onion rings are a must); Mama Melrose is good and we've always had great service. The problem with Mama Melrose is that they often are running way behind and you end up with a long wait. I am hoping to squeeze in Fantasmic in September...we've not seen since 2008.
Hmmm....sounds like we may enjoy the food at MM more for a TS meal. If I go with MM though, I should probably aim for the 1st dinner ADR of the night.

I hope you get to see Fantasmic while you're there! I love that show & miss seeing it.

Quote:
I can't help on Epcot because we've never eaten at Via Napoli or Chef's France (although if I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with Via Napoli).
It seems like a lot of people really like Via Napoli. I am really excited to give it a try.

Quote:
Happy Birthday party to cute, Reid.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
If it were me, I would not do 2 TS at Epcot during F&W. Too many yummy choices. We're doing Via Napoli for the first time this trip, so I can let you know in a month or so how we liked it.
Yeah, I think I'm definitely taking the option of doing both in 1 day off the table. I'll either try to work them in on separate days or we'll just have to lose 1 ADR. I can't wait to hear what you think about it!

Quote:
I saw that someone suggested a late breakfast at H&V--that might work out if you do the Fantasmic package, because arent all the dinner times for that super early? When I've looked into it, the times were all at like 3 or 4 pm for dinner.
That's what I'm thinking. That could work out pretty well for us. I'm going to look into the dinner times for the F! package at MM.

Quote:
I did not bood Sci-Fi this trip specifically because I was afraid that Maddie would be scared, plus some of the movie clips can be pretty inappropriate IMO.
I think you're the 2nd person to mention that some of the clips are inappropriate. Now, y'all have me curious! But, I could see Reid being scared (either really scared or the fake-scared-but-I'm-still-not-going-to-eat).

Quote:
Hope it helps! Good luck, and happy party day to Reid!
You did help, indeed! Thank you!

[QUOTE=Minnie&Nana;44468985]Hi, Amanda!

Hi! I'm so happy to have you here!

[QUOTE=Minnie&Nana;44468985]
What a beautiful family! Reid is just adorable!

Awww.....thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie&Nana View Post
Just found your PTR in your post when catching up on the RC thread, so came right over - certainly do not want to miss the fun!

Going to catch up - page three, not too bad!
I'm so glad you found your way here to join in on my planning!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:01 AM   #34
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Amanda!!! So glad you started your PTR!!!! Now go ahead and get excited about this trip, girl!!! You are traveling during F&W, the only time that we have ever done WDW and we won't be there this year - you have to live it up big for us!!!!

You know how much I LOVED BWV!!!!! However, I am fascinated by OKW - dying to hear more about it. Any report I have read that has included a stay there has had positive reviews. I am so excited that you will experience it!!!!

Okay, wait, Reid had a birthday? He turned FOUR, right???? All kids seem to be growing up too fast for me, so I need a reality check!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
1. On our DHS day, I am wanting to do the 1st ADR lunch time for Hollywood & Vine. I am less than excited about the food but Reid loves all of the characters. And I figure I only have so much time left for him to love these Disney Junior characters. For dinner, I was thinking of doing dinner at Sci-Fi. Here's where my uncertainty comes into play. We've never eaten there before so I'm unsure about the food. My other thought is "Should we do the F!package & eat at Mama Melrose instead?" We've never eaten there either, so I don't know about the food. Also, I really want to see Fantasmic because I love it & haven't seen it on our last 2 trips. But, Reid still spooks easily so he may not like it yet. Ok, this was longwinded (sorry) but it comes down to this: Sci-Fi or Mama Melrose? F! package or not?

Hmmm, no help. If I am in DHS, I WILL be dining at Hollywood Brown Derby. NO, it does not matter what anyone else wants, that is where I will be!!!

Quote:
2. There are 2 ADRs at Epcot that Ed & I are both really wanting to make: Via Napoli & Chefs de France. With F&W festival going on, we really didn't want to do them both in the same day. On Monday, October 1st we were thinking of going to Epcot just for dinner at Chefs (arriving around 4pm). But, then I realized that it's the 30th anniversary of Epcot. Would we be crazy to attempt going there just for dinner? If we don't go that night, I have 2 other options for us to work in both ADRs.
Option A: The day after the race, I was planning on us doing lunch at Beaches & Cream before checking in at OKW. But, I could scratch that & we could go to Epcot for lunch.
Option B: Do both ADRs in one day at Epcot. We just wouldn't be able to try too much at the F&W kiosks.

Ok, to recap situation #2: Do we:
- brave Epcot on the anniversary just for dinner OR
- lunch at Epcot instead of Beaches & Cream OR
- do Chefs & Via in one day at Epcot

I appreciate any insight, thoughts, suggestions! I think these are the only ones I'm really torn about....at least tonight. I'm sure come Sunday night I'll be rethinking all of them!
Okay based on our experience staying at an Epcot resort last year and heading over there pretty much every evening, the crowds can get INSANE - add another special event, and you couldn't pay me to go in there. Now, I am talking the Friday/Saturday crowds during our stay - they were horrendous, and really made things pretty unpleasant with a small child. Given that the Epcot anniversary is on a Monday, though, I can't imagine that it would be toooooo much worse than other F&W nights - certainly couldn't be worse than the F&W weekend nights that we experienced.

F&W is so much fun - I would never book more than one TS meal on an Epcot day. But, honestly, I couldn't handle more than one TS meal on any day.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #35
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Amanda!!! So glad you started your PTR!!!! Now go ahead and get excited about this trip, girl!!! You are traveling during F&W, the only time that we have ever done WDW and we won't be there this year - you have to live it up big for us!!!!
I'm so glad you're here! I'm turning the corner & getting excited about the vacation. I will try & live it up for y'all!

Quote:
You know how much I LOVED BWV!!!!! However, I am fascinated by OKW - dying to hear more about it. Any report I have read that has included a stay there has had positive reviews. I am so excited that you will experience it!!!!
I know....your TR made my desire to stay at Boardwalk grow that much more. I'm still a little worried as to how much I'm going to like OKW. But, I've pretty much come to terms with staying there. In the end, I know that we'll be at Disney & all will be ok no matter where we sleep at night.

Quote:
Okay, wait, Reid had a birthday? He turned FOUR, right???? All kids seem to be growing up too fast for me, so I need a reality check!
Yes! Can you believe he's 4? Our babies are growing up way too fast!

Quote:
Hmmm, no help. If I am in DHS, I WILL be dining at Hollywood Brown Derby. NO, it does not matter what anyone else wants, that is where I will be!!!
We did consider doing HBD but I just didn't know if I wanted to utilize 2 TS credits on one place. But, your review of it in your TR is what made me consider it in the first place. Who knows, after I look at our ADR list tomorrow, it could end up on the list for Monday morning.

Quote:
Okay based on our experience staying at an Epcot resort last year and heading over there pretty much every evening, the crowds can get INSANE - add another special event, and you couldn't pay me to go in there. Now, I am talking the Friday/Saturday crowds during our stay - they were horrendous, and really made things pretty unpleasant with a small child. Given that the Epcot anniversary is on a Monday, though, I can't imagine that it would be toooooo much worse than other F&W nights - certainly couldn't be worse than the F&W weekend nights that we experienced.

F&W is so much fun - I would never book more than one TS meal on an Epcot day. But, honestly, I couldn't handle more than one TS meal on any day.
I'm still very undecided as to what to do about our Epcot ADRs. Who knows what I'll end up deciding.

I am excited to experience F&W and try out some yummy food!
Old 04-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #36
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm so glad you're here! I'm turning the corner & getting excited about the vacation. I will try & live it up for y'all!
Yay!!! You are going to have so much fun - it is an awesome time of year to be there. I can't remember - are you doing MNSSHP????

Quote:
I know....your TR made my desire to stay at Boardwalk grow that much more. I'm still a little worried as to how much I'm going to like OKW. But, I've pretty much come to terms with staying there. In the end, I know that we'll be at Disney & all will be ok no matter where we sleep at night.
I am not kidding - I really do want to stay there. You should be excited about it!!! I think the villas are more spacious than anywhere else - won't that be great???? Or is it just me that LOVES my space? I definitely intend to stay there one day.

Quote:
Yes! Can you believe he's 4? Our babies are growing up way too fast!
How can that little guy be 4 already? I am always so conflicted - I hate seeing Willow grow up so fast, and at the same time, I always look forward to and enjoy the new things we can do together as she gets older. Parenting - it is tough, isn't it???

Quote:
We did consider doing HBD but I just didn't know if I wanted to utilize 2 TS credits on one place. But, your review of it in your TR is what made me consider it in the first place. Who knows, after I look at our ADR list tomorrow, it could end up on the list for Monday morning.
Yeah, we don't do the DDP because it would never be worth it for us. I can see how HBD wouldn't be ideal on the DDP. Heck, I can't imagine eating a MEAL after having the "appetizer" cobb salad - I mean, that thing is big enough for two to share as a full meal! I can't imagine ordering anything there except that salad and the champagne flight.

Quote:
I'm still very undecided as to what to do about our Epcot ADRs. Who knows what I'll end up deciding.
Well, as you know, I ended up canceling all of our Epcot ADRs except our ADR at Le Cellier for lunch the day after MNSSHP. So I canceled at least Via Napoli and La Hacienda - two places I really wanted to try. The F&W booths and the heat just made doing big meals impossible for us. Now getting to have a leisurely sit-down late lunch after being up until after midnight at a party? That was heavenly. My vote is to make an ADR at every place that you want to eat and can get an ADR - you can decide what you actually want to do when you are there. That is, of course, assuming that these places don't require deposits. I saw a thread title that implied more restaurants were doing that - not sure it that is accurate because I didn't actually have time to read the thread!

Quote:
I am excited to experience F&W and try out some yummy food!
Oh, you will love it! It is just so fun to wander around, stop when something catches your eye, etc. I can't imagine what fun it would be without children.......
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #37
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yay!!! You are going to have so much fun - it is an awesome time of year to be there. I can't remember - are you doing MNSSHP????
I think it will be fun with lots of firsts for us to try out. Yes, we will be trying out MNSSHP. So, I am quite excited about that!

Quote:
I am not kidding - I really do want to stay there. You should be excited about it!!! I think the villas are more spacious than anywhere else - won't that be great???? Or is it just me that LOVES my space? I definitely intend to stay there one day.
I did read that the studios at OKW are the largest DVC studios. So, it'll be nice to have a large room. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures for you!

Quote:
How can that little guy be 4 already? I am always so conflicted - I hate seeing Willow grow up so fast, and at the same time, I always look forward to and enjoy the new things we can do together as she gets older. Parenting - it is tough, isn't it???
I know, right?!? It is bittersweet watching them grow up. Part of me wants him to stay this sweet young age forever. But, the logical side of me knows that watching him grow is a wonderful thing, too.

Quote:
Yeah, we don't do the DDP because it would never be worth it for us. I can see how HBD wouldn't be ideal on the DDP. Heck, I can't imagine eating a MEAL after having the "appetizer" cobb salad - I mean, that thing is big enough for two to share as a full meal! I can't imagine ordering anything there except that salad and the champagne flight.
That Cobb salad does sound delicious! I'm sure one day we'll make an ADR at HBD.

Quote:
Well, as you know, I ended up canceling all of our Epcot ADRs except our ADR at Le Cellier for lunch the day after MNSSHP. So I canceled at least Via Napoli and La Hacienda - two places I really wanted to try. The F&W booths and the heat just made doing big meals impossible for us. Now getting to have a leisurely sit-down late lunch after being up until after midnight at a party? That was heavenly. My vote is to make an ADR at every place that you want to eat and can get an ADR - you can decide what you actually want to do when you are there. That is, of course, assuming that these places don't require deposits. I saw a thread title that implied more restaurants were doing that - not sure it that is accurate because I didn't actually have time to read the thread!
Epcot is just throwing me for a loop this trip! Between the race night & the Epcot anniversary, planning these ADRs are just a little tricky!

Quote:
Oh, you will love it! It is just so fun to wander around, stop when something catches your eye, etc. I can't imagine what fun it would be without children.......
Yes, I definitely want to experience F&W one day without a child in tow!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
MelMel11
Mouseketeer

Count me in !!!
MelMel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
JLCJMC
Mouseketeer

In case it is not too late - here are my thoughts on EPCOT ADRS and F&W (with and without children)

I have never tried via nappoli (I think I spelled that wrong...) but I have been to Chefs a few times and really enjoyed it (was several years ago, so no Remy... but I have been for both lunch and dinner and really enjoyed it, as did my dinning companions -- an eclectic assortment of tastes and preferences to say the least!

Food and Wine Fest is my all time favorite thing in the World. I have been as part of a three generation family experience, in a smaller family group, and with just my dear friend -- each and every time has been wonderful Even the year it did nothing but rain

As my son has grown up (17 now when did that happen!!! Just last week!) he has loved it too. When he was small he used to love to be pushed around in his Disney cart with his tray of his favorite meal in the world -- fries from McDonalds and the Salmon from Canada -- we would have to keep going back to the Canada cart over and over -- and then he would talk about it all year anyway -- love the carts, love the food, LOVE the drinks and we are always full to the brim from the experience. We stay in the boardwalk area and tend to good to EPCOT everyday of each trip -- we love to start in MK for a couple of hours when the park opens and then monorail over to EPCOT in time for the carts to open for lunch.

As for the grown-ups only version of F&W -- a lovely time -- and was so stress free my friend loved it and we are already planning to return -- I highly recommend it
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
pas130
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi, Jeanette! You're not late! I'm just getting this party started! Thank you & I'm glad you're here!

Yes - busy but fun! We rarely go on date nights but we have 1 this weekend & next weekend Reid will be sleeping at my mom's for 1 night while we go to New Orleans for Ed to run a race. We won't know how to act with all of this adult time!
It will be great!!!!! Time flies on date nights though, doesn't it???? I worked 3p-11p last night, DH and I stayed up just chatting for 2 hours....it was wonderful!!

Quote:
H&V's breakfast is reallllllly good. Maybe do a late breakfast that will suffice for lunch too??
Hi Deena!!! You know we loved H&V too for Breakfast!!!!
Quote:
I'd rather eat on the run...really cuts into my park time that's why I love everyone's TRs
Quote:
Parenting - it is tough, isn't it???

Parenting is tough , but in a good way right F&W without the kiddos was a whole new experience...a wonderful experience. Even with the crowds...it was relaxing!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCJMC View Post
As for the grown-ups only version of F&W -- a lovely time -- and was so stress free my friend loved it and we are already planning to return -- I highly recommend it
Me too!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 AM   #41
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel11 View Post
Count me in !!!
Welcome and Thank you for joining in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCJMC View Post
In case it is not too late - here are my thoughts on EPCOT ADRS and F&W (with and without children)

I have never tried via nappoli (I think I spelled that wrong...) but I have been to Chefs a few times and really enjoyed it (was several years ago, so no Remy... but I have been for both lunch and dinner and really enjoyed it, as did my dinning companions -- an eclectic assortment of tastes and preferences to say the least!

Food and Wine Fest is my all time favorite thing in the World. I have been as part of a three generation family experience, in a smaller family group, and with just my dear friend -- each and every time has been wonderful Even the year it did nothing but rain

As my son has grown up (17 now when did that happen!!! Just last week!) he has loved it too. When he was small he used to love to be pushed around in his Disney cart with his tray of his favorite meal in the world -- fries from McDonalds and the Salmon from Canada -- we would have to keep going back to the Canada cart over and over -- and then he would talk about it all year anyway -- love the carts, love the food, LOVE the drinks and we are always full to the brim from the experience. We stay in the boardwalk area and tend to good to EPCOT everyday of each trip -- we love to start in MK for a couple of hours when the park opens and then monorail over to EPCOT in time for the carts to open for lunch.

I'm happy to hear you really enjoyed Chefs! It'll be exciting to experience F&W, even if we don't get to spend a ton of time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
It will be great!!!!! Time flies on date nights though, doesn't it???? I worked 3p-11p last night, DH and I stayed up just chatting for 2 hours....it was wonderful!!
Yes indeed! Date night was great but went by incredibly fast. Isn't it nice when you can have a conversation without any interruptions?

Quote:
Hi Deena!!! You know we loved H&V too for Breakfast!!!!
I'm so glad to hear of at least a few people who like H&V. I'm really nervous about this ADR but I know Reid will be so excited with the characters.

Quote:
Parenting is tough , but in a good way right F&W without the kiddos was a whole new experience...a wonderful experience. Even with the crowds...it was relaxing!!!
You are right....tough but good!

I can only imagine what it would be like to do F&W without kids. One day I'll find out!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #42
amandaw
DIS Veteran

ADR-Making-Eve!

Hello friends!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful weekend! Ours was great but, of course, it went by way too fast!

Reid's joint birthday party with his best buddy was yesterday. We had their party at the local children's museum and it was fantastic. We had a great turnout and all of the kids really enjoyed themselves. Ok, here's just a few pictures of my big boy on the party day:

About to go to the party

Concentrating so hard on checking out his "groceries":

Making a bubble around himself:

Cake Time!

Last night, Ed & I were fortunate enough to have my mom come stay with Reid so that we could have a date. We went & saw the Hunger Games movie. We both loved the books & I have to say that we loved the movie, too! It's just very long! And after our movie, we stopped at a local Mexican restaurant for dinner & a drink. It was all very yummy....especially my pina colada! What can I say? The warm weather has me feeling summery!

Today, I got Ed to sit down with me & seriously talk about some ADR stuff. I think we finally hashed everything out & have the best possible plan. I'm all ready to wake up bright & early to try to get all of my ADRs.

So, since this is my first PTR, I didn't know if I should tell y'all everything I want/get or reveal it slowly. I've decided to go the mysteriously evil route & will reveal our ADRs as I unveil our daily plans. I've got more than 5 months to kill here after all!

I want to thank you all so much for the ADR advice! I took it all into serious consideration. But, alas, you'll have to stick around for the long haul to see what I decided on!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #43
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

The birthday party looks like a great time Reid looks so handsome in the first picture

I can't wait to see Hunger Games. I finally read the book a few weeks ago and it was great. We were supposed to go this weekend, hmmm don't remember why we didn't

Can't wait to hear about what adrs you picked.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #44
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Aww, such cute party pictures! It looks like a really fun time! I LOVE the big bubble picture, that's awesome!

I hope you were successful with your ADR making! Hahahh I totally understand going the mysteriously evil route, what can I say, I'm the same way. Can't wait to hear about your plans!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #45
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Happy ADR eve!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Hunger Games! Dh and I saw it on a rare date night also and really liked it! I hadn't read the book before seeing the movie (I know, bad me), so I'm reading it now!

Ok, I had another idea about Epcots 40th on the 1st. I know that last year the MK was slammed, but the first was a Saturday, right? I know a lot of my local Disney fan friends went down, because it was a weekend. I'm thinking that the crowds may have been inflated because it was a weekend day and no one had to worry about getting off work.

You might now have to worry as much about killer crowds on Oct 1st, because it is a Monday, and people will be at work.

Well good luck! I hope you get everything you wanted!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: