Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I'm in

I can't wait to hear all of your plans. I tried to convince DH to let me hop down to WDW for the 10mile run, but so far it hasn't worked. I think if I really push it I could convince him, but it will come down to this race or the Princess Half so I don't know what will happen yet. I look forward to reading all about it, it sounds so cool.

Ooooohhhhh, a cruise ticker. You know that as soon as I read your TR, I will be forced to book a trip on the Fantasy. It's looking like it won't be until 2014 before we cruise again, I'll have to live through your TRs again.

Reid is just so adorable I can't believe he starts school next year.
pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
MinnieLovesMickey
Peyton Manning's #1 Fan!

Joining in! Reid is super cute!

We're going down about a month later, first time in October. I would suggest doing a little research on the F&W Festival, that may get you excited, it definitely worked for me!

I would love to train to do one of the marathons, I think it would be so much fun.
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2012, 11:24 PM   #18
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I'm in
Hi there! I'm so happy to see you here! Thanks for joining in!

Quote:
I can't wait to hear all of your plans. I tried to convince DH to let me hop down to WDW for the 10mile run, but so far it hasn't worked. I think if I really push it I could convince him, but it will come down to this race or the Princess Half so I don't know what will happen yet. I look forward to reading all about it, it sounds so cool.
That would be so much fun if you could make it for the ToT race! The Princess Half does look like it would be a lot of fun too, though. It'll be interesting to see how this race affects our touring.

Quote:
Ooooohhhhh, a cruise ticker. You know that as soon as I read your TR, I will be forced to book a trip on the Fantasy. It's looking like it won't be until 2014 before we cruise again, I'll have to live through your TRs again.
Yes, you'll have to book the Fantasy for 2014 after my TR next year! I'm really excited about doing a longer cruise next year.

Quote:
Reid is just so adorable I can't believe he starts school next year.
Thank you! I know...I can't believe how much he's growing up. It's so bittersweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey View Post
Joining in! Reid is super cute!
Thank you! I'm happy to have you here!

Quote:
We're going down about a month later, first time in October. I would suggest doing a little research on the F&W Festival, that may get you excited, it definitely worked for me!
I think you're right! I think I'm starting to get a little excited since I can make ADRs Monday. And I am excited to experience F&W for the 1st time and also MNSSHP. Are y'all planning on doing the party?

Quote:
I would love to train to do one of the marathons, I think it would be so much fun.
I'd be surprised if I could do a 5K! The Disney races do look like a lot of fun. I wish running was my thing! Shoot - I wish exercise was my thing!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #19
amandaw
DIS Veteran

ADR Conundrums!

Good evening! I hope everyone is having a fantastic week! Mine has been wonderful just extremely busy. Reid had his 1st field trip this past week. They went to the zoo & I was lucky enough to be able to join them. They had so much fun. Of course, they were most excited about getting to ride a bus there. Today, I pretty much spent the entire day getting stuff ready for their class Easter party this coming Tuesday.

This weekend will be busy as well. Reid's birthday was March 16th. We are having a joint birthday party for him & his best buddy this Saturday. Should be a lot of fun & almost the entire class is coming! Then, Ed & I will actually have a date night!

But, come Sunday night, I have got to sit down & finalize what ADRs I really want! As I mentioned in my opening post, Monday is my ADR date! I think I'm good with everything I have listed. However, there are 2 that are just not sitting right with me. And that, my friends, is why I am turning to y'all tonight. I need help! Okay, so here we go.....

1. On our DHS day, I am wanting to do the 1st ADR lunch time for Hollywood & Vine. I am less than excited about the food but Reid loves all of the characters. And I figure I only have so much time left for him to love these Disney Junior characters. For dinner, I was thinking of doing dinner at Sci-Fi. Here's where my uncertainty comes into play. We've never eaten there before so I'm unsure about the food. My other thought is "Should we do the F!package & eat at Mama Melrose instead?" We've never eaten there either, so I don't know about the food. Also, I really want to see Fantasmic because I love it & haven't seen it on our last 2 trips. But, Reid still spooks easily so he may not like it yet. Ok, this was longwinded (sorry) but it comes down to this: Sci-Fi or Mama Melrose? F! package or not?

2. There are 2 ADRs at Epcot that Ed & I are both really wanting to make: Via Napoli & Chefs de France. With F&W festival going on, we really didn't want to do them both in the same day. On Monday, October 1st we were thinking of going to Epcot just for dinner at Chefs (arriving around 4pm). But, then I realized that it's the 30th anniversary of Epcot. Would we be crazy to attempt going there just for dinner? If we don't go that night, I have 2 other options for us to work in both ADRs.
Option A: The day after the race, I was planning on us doing lunch at Beaches & Cream before checking in at OKW. But, I could scratch that & we could go to Epcot for lunch.
Option B: Do both ADRs in one day at Epcot. We just wouldn't be able to try too much at the F&W kiosks.

Ok, to recap situation #2: Do we:
- brave Epcot on the anniversary just for dinner OR
- lunch at Epcot instead of Beaches & Cream OR
- do Chefs & Via in one day at Epcot

I appreciate any insight, thoughts, suggestions! I think these are the only ones I'm really torn about....at least tonight. I'm sure come Sunday night I'll be rethinking all of them!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #20
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

Woohoo ADRs! Hmm... well I must say I'm not very knowledgable on a lot of these things!

Okay, number 1... well I have never been to Mama Melrose, but I have heard it's only average. I HAVE been to Sci-Fi and loved it, BUT it is really dark in there and Reid might be a little spooked by some of the video clips on the big screen. I mean, I feel like it's either a love it or hate it place for little kids. (I know, this is not very helpful, I'm sorry!)

Number 2... Question: (And I'm really sorry if you already mentioned this in the intro post) Are yall getting the meal plan? Because if you ARE, I would definitely suggest Via Napoli over Beaches and Cream, just because you would get way more bang for your meal credit hahah. If not, Beaches and Cream would probably be more convenient. Also, if the Epcot 30th is ANYTHING like the MK 40th, I'd stay very very far away!

Hmm... I hope at least SOME of that rambling was useful to you!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #21
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
Woohoo ADRs! Hmm... well I must say I'm not very knowledgable on a lot of these things!

Okay, number 1... well I have never been to Mama Melrose, but I have heard it's only average. I HAVE been to Sci-Fi and loved it, BUT it is really dark in there and Reid might be a little spooked by some of the video clips on the big screen. I mean, I feel like it's either a love it or hate it place for little kids. (I know, this is not very helpful, I'm sorry!)
That is helpful! At least I know that you liked Sci-Fi! I am a little torn about the movie clips when it comes to Reid. I just never know how he'll react to things sometimes.

Quote:
Number 2... Question: (And I'm really sorry if you already mentioned this in the intro post) Are yall getting the meal plan? Because if you ARE, I would definitely suggest Via Napoli over Beaches and Cream, just because you would get way more bang for your meal credit hahah. If not, Beaches and Cream would probably be more convenient. Also, if the Epcot 30th is ANYTHING like the MK 40th, I'd stay very very far away!
I completely forget to mention in my intro that we will be on the DDP. I am already failing at doing a PTR! I'm thinking we'd be better off avoiding Epcot on the anniversary night. I'm glad to know that you'd choose Via Napoli over Beaches & Cream. I remember from your TR how much fun y'all had there & how much you liked it. That's a good point about more bang for the meal credit.

Quote:
Hmm... I hope at least SOME of that rambling was useful to you!
You've been very helpful! Thank you!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:42 AM   #22
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Well, we did Sci-Fi and for me I didn't love it, it was just ok. I kept having this urge to try and get the kids to turn their head away from the screens. Kind of creepy and sometimes inappropriate? stuff that I would not let them see ordinarily. But I fought that urge and tried to just go with the flow. The food was only ok, and the eating in the dark kind of threw me. DH really liked it though...

We are going to try the F! pkg at MM coming up, so hoping that is a good choice. As far as your Epcot question, I can only offer that we ate at Via Napoli and loved it, food and atmosphere was lovely...as was the pitcher of Sangria!!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #23
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

I think I'd go for the Sci Fi, assuming Reid is big enough to sit in the car without any trouble. We liked Mama Melrose's the last time we were there, but I'd be nervous taking a little kid to Fantasmic. Parts of that show scare me!

I'd pick Via Napoli over Beaches and Cream, too. I think two ADRs on a F&W day would be too much. Plus, for Via Napoli, you could actually have an ADR, which would ensure you could get in fairly quickly. I know Beaches and Cream is small and waiting without an ADR and with a little kid might not be much fun. My experience at the 40th has convinced me to stay away at every other park's anniversary.
PirateKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 AM   #24
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Well, we did Sci-Fi and for me I didn't love it, it was just ok. I kept having this urge to try and get the kids to turn their head away from the screens. Kind of creepy and sometimes inappropriate? stuff that I would not let them see ordinarily. But I fought that urge and tried to just go with the flow. The food was only ok, and the eating in the dark kind of threw me. DH really liked it though...
Funny you say that about eating in the dark....it kind of weirds me out. I have a feeling that most of the stuff wouldn't scare Reid if we were at home watching it in the daylight. But, being in the dark in a new environment....I think it'll lead him to be spooked. Okay, Sci-Fi is starting to lose their battle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
We are going to try the F! pkg at MM coming up, so hoping that is a good choice. As far as your Epcot question, I can only offer that we ate at Via Napoli and loved it, food and atmosphere was lovely...as was the pitcher of Sangria!!
I am really excited about trying Via Napoli! And Sangria.....YUMMY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I think I'd go for the Sci Fi, assuming Reid is big enough to sit in the car without any trouble. We liked Mama Melrose's the last time we were there, but I'd be nervous taking a little kid to Fantasmic. Parts of that show scare me!
Reid could definitely sit in the car with no problems. Hmmmm.....maybe I should do Mama Melrose but not worry about the F! package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I'd pick Via Napoli over Beaches and Cream, too. I think two ADRs on a F&W day would be too much. Plus, for Via Napoli, you could actually have an ADR, which would ensure you could get in fairly quickly. I know Beaches and Cream is small and waiting without an ADR and with a little kid might not be much fun. My experience at the 40th has convinced me to stay away at every other park's anniversary.
I'm starting to lean to that option as well. Speaking of your experience.....when I was thinking about that day being the Epcot anniversary, I immediately thought of you & your TR! That's why I started to rethink going there for dinner that night. So, thank you!

Ok, 2 more questions:

1. Which would be better as a lunch ADR: Via Napoli or Chefs?

2. Would y'all go there for lunch (walking from Boardwalk) even if it was a "non-recommended park" on the day after the race? We probably wouldn't stay long since I'd want to get checked in & settled at OKW.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

Let's see- We just ate at Mama Melrose on our trip in Feb, and I was surprised at how good it was. Dh, my mom and I all enjoyed our food. It was a nice atmosphere, and I'd definitely go again.

Sci-Fi- well, I like the restaurant, but I would say that food is so-so. When we go I usually order the burger because they can't mess it up too bad, but my family has eaten some real train wrecks. I do also worry about some of the clips being too scary, and it is dark in there.

One other thing about the Fantasmic package, is that you will get an appetizer included, and it is still only one credit. If you ate at Mama Melrose on the Fantasmic package, you'd get more bang for your buck, even if you skipped watching Fantasmic.

As for eating at Chefs on the night of the 30th anniversary- well, I'd do it. If the only thing you are doing is going for dinner, I think you'd be OK. Remember that Epcot is a much larger park than MK, so it distributes crowds better, and if you could enter through the international gateway, you'd be really close to France and not have to fight a lot of crowds.

I wouldn't plan two TS meals during F&W, you won't have any room for the kiosks!

Oh and if it came down to Via Napoli or Chefs, I'd pick Via Napoli, that pizza looks divine!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #26
pas130
DIS Veteran

hi amanda!!! I am lte for the party...so sorry my friend You started your PTR Your last TR was great!!!

Busy weekend, birthday party & date night!!!! You'll need date night after a party for (2) 4 year old boys

You know I am not a huge TS person....we did Sci-Fi before, but from reading reviews from Mama Melrose..I'd probably pick MM..Sci-Fi was OK...just OK. If Reid might get scared, I'd skip F! I have YET to do F! As you know HRH is not a fan of noise As for lunch I'd do Via Napolis (yum) we grabbed take out there F&W and were pleasantly surprised...As for F&W, I have a friend who is taking his Disneymoon there the same week you are, and he does F&W yearly.... He mentioned he NEVER has room to eat a TS meal after all the snacking (and beverages) 1 ADR that day would be PLENTY....ugh, now I want Italian food

Looking forward to the journey to ToT
Old 03-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #27
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
Let's see- We just ate at Mama Melrose on our trip in Feb, and I was surprised at how good it was. Dh, my mom and I all enjoyed our food. It was a nice atmosphere, and I'd definitely go again.

Sci-Fi- well, I like the restaurant, but I would say that food is so-so. When we go I usually order the burger because they can't mess it up too bad, but my family has eaten some real train wrecks. I do also worry about some of the clips being too scary, and it is dark in there.

One other thing about the Fantasmic package, is that you will get an appetizer included, and it is still only one credit. If you ate at Mama Melrose on the Fantasmic package, you'd get more bang for your buck, even if you skipped watching Fantasmic.
I've never done the F! package before, so that's really good to know that you get the appetizer with it. I like your idea of booking it, even if we don't go to Fantasmic. I think I'm leaning towards doing this.

Quote:
As for eating at Chefs on the night of the 30th anniversary- well, I'd do it. If the only thing you are doing is going for dinner, I think you'd be OK. Remember that Epcot is a much larger park than MK, so it distributes crowds better, and if you could enter through the international gateway, you'd be really close to France and not have to fight a lot of crowds.
I am so torn about what to do on this night. Part of me says it won't be as bad as the MK anniversary. But, the other part of me is scared that I'd make the ADR & then show up at Epcot that afternoon only to be turned away because the park is at capacity. That would be just my luck!

Quote:
I wouldn't plan two TS meals during F&W, you won't have any room for the kiosks!
Yeah, the more I think about it, I think I'm ready to completely pull that option off the table.

Quote:
Oh and if it came down to Via Napoli or Chefs, I'd pick Via Napoli, that pizza looks divine!
I agree! I asked Ed the other night if he could only eat at 1, which he would choose. I was certain he was going to say Via Napoli. He chose Chefs. But, I know in the end he won't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
hi amanda!!! I am lte for the party...so sorry my friend You started your PTR Your last TR was great!!!
Hi, Jeanette! You're not late! I'm just getting this party started! Thank you & I'm glad you're here!

Quote:
[
Busy weekend, birthday party & date night!!!! You'll need date night after a party for (2) 4 year old boys
Yes - busy but fun! We rarely go on date nights but we have 1 this weekend & next weekend Reid will be sleeping at my mom's for 1 night while we go to New Orleans for Ed to run a race. We won't know how to act with all of this adult time!

Quote:
[
You know I am not a huge TS person....we did Sci-Fi before, but from reading reviews from Mama Melrose..I'd probably pick MM..Sci-Fi was OK...just OK. If Reid might get scared, I'd skip F! I have YET to do F! As you know HRH is not a fan of noise As for lunch I'd do Via Napolis (yum) we grabbed take out there F&W and were pleasantly surprised...As for F&W, I have a friend who is taking his Disneymoon there the same week you are, and he does F&W yearly.... He mentioned he NEVER has room to eat a TS meal after all the snacking (and beverages) 1 ADR that day would be PLENTY....ugh, now I want Italian food

Looking forward to the journey to ToT
I think I'm starting to lean towards MM but will probably skip Fantasmic.

Yeah, I think I need to stick to just 1 ADR for our full Epcot day. We'll probably share the snacks we get from the kiosks so that we don't get too full. And Ed is a bit picky so I don't think we'll try too many things. Hopefully, that'll keep us a little hungry for dinner that night.

That's the thing I hate about figuring out ADRs......it always makes me hungry!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I am almost no help with your adr situation.

For the last two years we had lunch at Sci-fi and dinner at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Package. If I was picking right now, I would chose Sci-fi. We had not so great service the first year and then pretty much no service the second year. Each time we waited forever to be seated and then had to wait forever to put in our order. The food was okay though. However both years we were at DHS for SWW and it was usually a madhouse those days.

I always have a had time picking between Chefs and Via Napoli. I was kind of thinking of doing Chefs for lunch and Via for dinner. I know that will be too many adrs for you with the booth out though. Tough call.

I hope you have a great date night.
pinkxray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #29
LuvLuvLuv
DIS Veteran

I'm here!!

H&V's breakfast is reallllllly good. Maybe do a late breakfast that will suffice for lunch too??

We've had Sci Fi twice, and Mama Melrose 3 times. I liked all 3 Mama Melrose, and neither one of the Sci Fi Well one Sci Fi I didn't like, and one was mediocre. The F! package will be worth it!

Chefs vs. Via Napoli: Love them both for lunch. Via Napoli is a fave for me so it takes the lead.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #30
KatMark
DIS Veteran

My thoughts:

We enjoy both Sci-Fi and Mama Melrose. Sci-Fi you are better off with just the burgers or reuben (and the onion rings are a must); Mama Melrose is good and we've always had great service. The problem with Mama Melrose is that they often are running way behind and you end up with a long wait. I am hoping to squeeze in Fantasmic in September...we've not seen since 2008.

I can't help on Epcot because we've never eaten at Via Napoli or Chef's France (although if I had to choose between the two I would definitely go with Via Napoli).

Happy Birthday party to cute, Reid.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: