Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #136
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

sounds like good plans so far.

Our last trip to WDW we did drive. probably about the same distance, my kiddos were 6 and 3. I bought things from the dollar section in Target before the trip for both the drive and for them to open each morning.

Included in this were some items that helped on the car ride-
I got those dollar dry erase boards that come with a marker.
also had coloring books and crayons, with stickers
I got them glow bracelets for the hotel that first night to use like a nightlight
they had the dvd player
they had leapsters

they each packed a little bin with little toys too, and this sat next to them in the back.

hope that helps, you could also print up some fun car bingo games and such, were he could put stickers over the items as he sees them, like blue car, or alabama welcome sign, etc.

can't wait to read more
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

JPFamilyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #137
smellyia
Mouseketeer

I'll be curious to see your thoughts on POR FQ as it seems the resort has a popular following here. Are you staying in one of those royal rooms?

Love the ideas people posted about breakfast and road trip activities.
Beach Club May/June 2013
AKL CL Feb 2014
Beach Club May 2014
Royal Pacific USO/Grand Floridian Oct 2014
Grand Floridian January 2015
smellyia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #138
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
Yay for list making! I love it! I also enjoy packing, hate unpacking, and really detest doing vacation laundry. Just today I was packing with the help of 3 lists in 2 notebooks and a reminders list on my phone. The electronic 'check' on the reminders lists makes me very happy. I'm such a dork.
I'm so happy that someone else shares my affinity for lists! I have 3 Disney notebooks with lists in them. Lists on resorts, ADRs, snacks, you name it! And then I'll have many more for packing!

Quote:
We loved POFQ, and I am a little sad that we aren't staying there again. I loved how small and peaceful it is. The food court at FQ was pretty good too! But, then again, beignets for breakfast make me very, very happy as well.
That's good to know that y'all loved POFQ! I think the small size if part of its' allure for me. You can never go wrong with beignets! Yummy!!!

Quote:
Maddie is exactly the same as Reid. She could stay up all night, especially if there's a movie or TV on. And, my DH is the one who gets his own bed on vacation too! I don't mind sleeping with DD (she snores less, and is much smaller ) but, sometimes when she's really tired she still has 'accidents'. And who bears the brunt of that? Good ole mom of course. And DH wonders why I need a clean pair of PJs for every night...

Can't wait to hear more!
Funny thing is....I was going to reply to your response last night. But, just as I was about to start, Reid woke up. So, I had to get him settled back down so he would go back to sleep.

I actually don't mind sleeping with Reid either. Sometimes he's a bit of a crazy sleeper when he's really tired. And on the 1st few nights of vacation, he'll wake up crying & I have to settle him back down. But, other than that, it's not bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleontheWater View Post
I think your plans sound great!
Thank you!

Quote:
I hate, hate, hate packing, so you'd be welcome to come over and do it for me anytime, pretty please!
I would be more than willing to do your packing! I just find it so exciting! I know....I need help!

Quote:
I think you've got a good plan to try and get some driving done at night, if you make it to Pensacola, the drive to Orlando isn't bad at all.
I like your idea of getting to Pensacola. I mapped it out & that would be about 5 1/2 hours for us on the Thurs. night leaving us with a little over 7 hours on Friday. I even found a Comfort Inn hotel for $80. I'm going to suggest this to Ed.

Quote:
I also think the idea of eating at the POR food court is a great one! The food there is good, and you'll have a decent variety to choose from. It also has ample seating, and doesn't get all that crowded in the evenings. You guys could also walk over to the River Roost and catch a few songs from YeHa Bob if you are so inclined. He starts pretty early, and keeps his show family friendly.
I've heard that the POR food court is a little bigger so I'm excited to try it out. Thank you for the entertainment suggestion! That may be a little fun something to check out before heading to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Looks like a good plan. The only thing you might consider may be to stay at a hotel that offers breakfast (like a Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express, etc.). That way you wouldn't have to pack food into the car to eat that morning and you could get something hot too.
Thank you, sir! I like your idea of a hotel with free breakfast. I even found one in Pensacola for $80! I could always send the boys to eat while I get us packed up. And then we could still be on the road by 7am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Looking forward to seeing your road trip distraction ideas. When we drove sleeping and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD's were the main forms of distraction. They worked well until about the last 2 hours of the drive.
I am definitely coming up with a list of distractions. It's a little harder when they're young because you can't play a lot of the typical road games until they're a tad older. I promise an update later on in the PTR that will be dedicated to this subject!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
sounds like good plans so far.

Our last trip to WDW we did drive. probably about the same distance, my kiddos were 6 and 3. I bought things from the dollar section in Target before the trip for both the drive and for them to open each morning.

Included in this were some items that helped on the car ride-
I got those dollar dry erase boards that come with a marker.
also had coloring books and crayons, with stickers
I got them glow bracelets for the hotel that first night to use like a nightlight
they had the dvd player
they had leapsters

they each packed a little bin with little toys too, and this sat next to them in the back.

hope that helps, you could also print up some fun car bingo games and such, were he could put stickers over the items as he sees them, like blue car, or alabama welcome sign, etc.

can't wait to read more
Thank you! I appreciate your ideas on car distractions. I especially like the glow bracelet idea. I think I have a lot of those left over from Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyia View Post
I'll be curious to see your thoughts on POR FQ as it seems the resort has a popular following here. Are you staying in one of those royal rooms?
No, unfortunately, we are not in one of the royal rooms. I mentioned these to my little boy who promptly informed me that "Those are for girls! Me & Daddy can't stay there."

I'm hoping we like POFQ. It does indeed seem to have a large following on the DIS. My only concern has been that we live in south Louisiana & I hope I won't feel that Disney exaggerated it in a bad way. I don't think that'll be the case but that's the only thing that makes me a little hesitant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyia View Post
Love the ideas people posted about breakfast and road trip activities.
You can always count on the good people on the DIS for great ideas/tips!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #139
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Hello!!!

Hmm, you leave for your trip the day after my birthday. So you are already off to a great start!

I can't say that I love packing, but I do know what you mean. When I actually get to do it without a small child "helping" me and with enough time to actually check my list and pay attention to what I'm doing, I enjoy it too.

I was going to ask whether you had done the night-time drive before, but then I read it was your first time driving. I bet it will be great! I think it's smart to stop - much safer.

I'm really excited to hear about how you like POFQ. If we move closer to WDW and get to go more often that is one resort that I would really like to try!
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #140
PirateKate
DIS Veteran

Long car trips with little kids are so hard! I've found lots of snacks, new toys, and DVDs to be the most effective. You'll be losing an hour somewhere on that drive, too, won't you?

I like the idea of packing, but every time that it comes right down to it, the day before we leave, I find myself completely unmotivated and wanting to do nothing but look at Disney stuff on the Internet. Maybe next time I should make a few lists.
PirateKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #141
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

First of all, I can't believe I've missed your PTR. How did I do that?

And second of all, I love POFQ and I think you will as well!

I'm a bit envious of you being there for the race, because I wanted to do it, but I don't see myself doing it with my new job!

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #142
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGirl View Post
Hello!!!

Hmm, you leave for your trip the day after my birthday. So you are already off to a great start!
Hi, friend! Since you treated Willow to DLR for her bday, you should treat y'all to WDW for your bday & come see us!

Quote:
I can't say that I love packing, but I do know what you mean. When I actually get to do it without a small child "helping" me and with enough time to actually check my list and pay attention to what I'm doing, I enjoy it too.
To me, it's just so exciting! Reid does usually try to help but I eventually get him to just sit & play by me. I'm hoping that this year I'll be able to get it all finished while he's in school. In fact, I may pay a little extra at school for him to stay late that day!

Quote:
I was going to ask whether you had done the night-time drive before, but then I read it was your first time driving. I bet it will be great! I think it's smart to stop - much safer.
Ed & I have done many long drives in our time. I think it'll be good to stop on the night there since we won't leave until dinner time. Our drive back, well that may be a different story.

Quote:
I'm really excited to hear about how you like POFQ. If we move closer to WDW and get to go more often that is one resort that I would really like to try!
I think it'll be nice to check out. And I have to admit that I'm glad we'll be there for 2 nights instead of just 1 night at Boardwalk. But, when we go in 2014, I'm going to be trying my hardest to trade our Hilton timeshare into a BWV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
Long car trips with little kids are so hard! I've found lots of snacks, new toys, and DVDs to be the most effective. You'll be losing an hour somewhere on that drive, too, won't you?
The longest we've done with Reid is 9 hours. Well, really it was just me & Reid. What should have taken 6 hours took us 9 because of Labor Day traffic. Being stuck at a standstill on the interstate sent him into complete overload. I figure if I can handle that for 3 hours by myself, we should be okay going to Disney.

Yes, we'll lose an hour once we get into FL. I'm glad we'll lose it on the 1st night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateKate View Post
I like the idea of packing, but every time that it comes right down to it, the day before we leave, I find myself completely unmotivated and wanting to do nothing but look at Disney stuff on the Internet. Maybe next time I should make a few lists.
Yes, make lists! Lots & lots of lists!

My problem when packing is that I find myself getting engrossed in TV shows that I don't normally watch. But, I like to have the TV while packing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
First of all, I can't believe I've missed your PTR. How did I do that?
No worries! You're here now!

Quote:
And second of all, I love POFQ and I think you will as well!
Yay! Another person who loves POFQ. Y'all are really making me feel well about choosing that resort. I am excited to try it out!

Quote:
I'm a bit envious of you being there for the race, because I wanted to do it, but I don't see myself doing it with my new job!
I have to say that I was very worried about the weather & crowds when we first moved our trip for the race. But now, I'm excited! I think it's going to be fun for Ed & I to both do our 1st Disney races.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #143
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I think those changes sound great! I bet you'll do awesome with your program. Maybe since you're going next Feb you can stay at the Boardwalk then???

Of all the moderate resorts (keep in mind that I've stayed at zero out of four of them, though, haha) I think French Quarter is my favorite! I bet a Louisiana native would love it.

"Now, I know some of you will color me crazy but I must confess this.......I actually like to pack. I don't like to unpack after a trip. But, I love packing. I think it's the OCD/Anal-retentive monster in me. I love making lists! Santa ain't got nothin' on me - I make lots of lists & check them more than twice!"

Um, are we the same person though? I am the EXACT SAME WAY! Too too funny. I think that your plans sound good, nice and relaxing! The good thing is that traveling really can tire you out, so hopefully Reid will be nice and sleepy!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #144
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I think those changes sound great! I bet you'll do awesome with your program. Maybe since you're going next Feb you can stay at the Boardwalk then???
Thank you! I really hope the program will work for me. So far, I've been able to stick to it. I would LOVE to be able to stay at Boardwalk in Feb. We'll see what happens!

Quote:
Of all the moderate resorts (keep in mind that I've stayed at zero out of four of them, though, haha) I think French Quarter is my favorite! I bet a Louisiana native would love it.
Yeah, for some reason, it's the only one that really appeals to me. I really hope they've done Louisiana right or else it will just annoy me. But since it's Disney, I'm sure (hoping) it'll all be done well.

Quote:
"Now, I know some of you will color me crazy but I must confess this.......I actually like to pack. I don't like to unpack after a trip. But, I love packing. I think it's the OCD/Anal-retentive monster in me. I love making lists! Santa ain't got nothin' on me - I make lots of lists & check them more than twice!"

Um, are we the same person though? I am the EXACT SAME WAY! Too too funny. I think that your plans sound good, nice and relaxing! The good thing is that traveling really can tire you out, so hopefully Reid will be nice and sleepy!
We just might be! I could just be the much older version of you. Thank you.....I really do hope Reid will be ready to crash come Friday night. If not, that will make for an interesting night.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #145
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

I have seen you on most of the threads I visit, so I thought I'd come to check out yours as well.
Your son is too cute! And I love that intro photo of you all together.
Have you ever stayed at OKW before? It is our all time favourite resort.

As for your ADR dilemma ....
Not a fan of H&V, but it will be nice if Reid likes the characters.
Sci-Fi is a lot of fun, but the movies can be a bit "odd" for a 4 year old.
Mama Melrose for FP - good value, because it is only 1 DDP credit (forgot if you are on the DDP). Pros - less queueing for Fantasmic. The seating area is to the far right facing the stage, so not the best. Cons - you could get the server we had last year, who was as slow as molasses.

As for your Epcot ADRs - both in one day is daring - it takes out a lot of time of touring.
Via Napoli is VERY good - get the Zeppole for dessert, they are so yummy. Going to France (the one in Europe, not Epcot) on a regular basis, we were NOT impressed with the food. If you are going for atmosphere and cute servers, than yes!

I can recommand B&C, good basic food and out of this world desserts! Staying at OKW - you might consider fitting Olivia's into your dining plans. It's a really overlooked hidden gem.

Okay, that's enough, don't want to bore you too much.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #146
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
I have seen you on most of the threads I visit, so I thought I'd come to check out yours as well.
I'm so happy to have you over here! Thank you for joining in!

Quote:
Your son is too cute! And I love that intro photo of you all together.
Thank you! I have to say that is one of my favorite photos of the 3 of us.

Quote:
Have you ever stayed at OKW before? It is our all time favourite resort.
This will be our 1st time staying at OKW. I am so happy to hear that you like really like it! I was a little worried about it at first but now I'm actually starting to get excited to try it out.

Quote:
As for your ADR dilemma ....
Not a fan of H&V, but it will be nice if Reid likes the characters.
Sci-Fi is a lot of fun, but the movies can be a bit "odd" for a 4 year old.
Mama Melrose for FP - good value, because it is only 1 DDP credit (forgot if you are on the DDP). Pros - less queueing for Fantasmic. The seating area is to the far right facing the stage, so not the best. Cons - you could get the server we had last year, who was as slow as molasses.

As for your Epcot ADRs - both in one day is daring - it takes out a lot of time of touring.
Via Napoli is VERY good - get the Zeppole for dessert, they are so yummy. Going to France (the one in Europe, not Epcot) on a regular basis, we were NOT impressed with the food. If you are going for atmosphere and cute servers, than yes!

I can recommand B&C, good basic food and out of this world desserts! Staying at OKW - you might consider fitting Olivia's into your dining plans. It's a really overlooked hidden gem.

Okay, that's enough, don't want to bore you too much.
You won't bore me! I love getting ideas & suggestions from everyone, especially when it comes to ADRs!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #147
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Yay!! Long time no see! I just found this! I'm definitely going to follow along, but I'll have to come back later to read- I'm just taking a break from essay writing for finals! But I'm so excited for your new adventure!!!!!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
emma212010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #148
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Yay!! Long time no see! I just found this!
Hi, there! It has indeed been a long time! I'm so, so sorry I forgot to PM you when I started this up. I'm so happy you found me!

Quote:
I'm definitely going to follow along, but I'll have to come back later to read- I'm just taking a break from essay writing for finals!
I definitely understand! Sometimes real life just gets in the way DISing even when we don't want it to. Best of luck on your essay!

Quote:
But I'm so excited for your new adventure!!!!!!
Thank you! I'm really starting to get excited about our trip.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #149
merbobear
DIS Veteran

I am new to your PTR I read through your entire TR from your cruise, but I think I had read it after it was completed because I don't recall ever commenting! But anyway, here I am joining in the fun!

merbobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:14 PM   #150
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

All caught up...I love lists too! They just make me feel good...especially Disney ones!! Except like everything else about Disney right now, I hide them and then can't find them again!! Friends of ours stayed at POFQ last year and loved it! so hopefully you all will too!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: