Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
Kim1964
Was intimidated by her bug, but don't worry she's conquered it!

Just off a 4 night Dream yesterday...happy to answer questions

We sailed on our 2nd Disney Dream cruise August 17-21. We are a family of 4 (mom, dad, 18 yo DD, and 12 yo DD). We stayed in a category 4 A (deluxe family ocean view stateroom with verandah) on Deck 9. Some things that may help others:

-We rented a car at MCO and drove to the port on Saturday. Spent the night at the Residence Inn, which I would do again. It was clean, comfortable, and very convenient to the port.
-We chose to keep the car the entire trip, and pre-paid to park at the parking garage right across from the terminal. It was a well-spent $75, as we did the express walk off yesterday morning and were in the car, on our way at 7:15 a.m. (We were spending one day at SeaWorld and wanted to make the most of it.)
-It was worth staying up until midnight to do our cruise check in online. We got Palo brunch for noon on our sea day, and a 10:30 PAT, which led to boarding group 2, and that was terrific. We were onboard and almost done with lunch at 11:52.
-I was part of a very active cruise meet group, which was fun both before and during the trip. I highly recommend getting involved in one, though I did not do the fish extender gift exchange so I have nothing to share about that.

I'm sure there's more, but I'd rather answer questions than try to anticipate them.
Kim1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Luv Donald Duck
Mouseketeer

Hello thank you for posting this! I am happy to hear you had a great family vacation. I am a first time cruiser going on the Dream in November. I had a couple of questions that maybe you can help with
What did your family wear to dinner each night? (we are generally casual people so didn't want to pack to formal if not needed)
Did you do any or recommend any excursions while in Nassau?

Thank you in advance!!
Luv Donald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
Kim1964

My daughters and I wore casual skirts on Sunday and Wednesday nights. We wore capris and pirate t-shirts on Tuesday night (Pirate Night). Monday night was the optional dress up night, and we wore somewhat nicer skirts and tops. My husband wore shorts and t-shirts. You will see a variety of attire (and get lots of opinions about what is and isn't acceptable), but this worked for us.

I can't help with Nassau because I didn't get off the ship this time. People from my cruise meet group did a chocolate tour and they thought it was very nice.

Last edited by Kim1964; 08-22-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Editing to add: On our first cruise, we wore shorts and t-shirts to dinner.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
steph12
Mouseketeer

Did you go on the aquaduck after your lunch on the first day? If so, how bad were the lines? I'm trying to figure out if we need to go to the pools and then eat, or eat lunch and then do the duck! We have a 10:45 PAT.
steph12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
Kim1964

We had lunch first, and by the time we were done the line was starting to build up. When my daughter finally decided she wanted to do it around 2:00, it was a 30-40 minute wait. She had more success at night when it was a 10 minute wait, and she LOVED riding it on Castaway Cay day.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
staceyeileen
Mouseketeer

What movies are currently playing?
staceyeileen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Kim1964

Frozen, Maleficent, The Hundred Foot Journey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Planes: Fire and Rescue.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Are there certain "points" in the Aqua Duck line that we could refer to and know how long the wait is? We have never been on the Dream so I wasn't sure if there are signs posted "average XX wait from this point" or if you just wait it out a few times. I know that we will recognize a short line when we see one but my kids are not patient enough to want to wait 30-40 minutes for one ride down! We also have a 10:30 PAT and I was undecided on lunch/Aqua Duck first. I thought I read somewhere that they don't open the Aqua Duck until a certain time??
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
jenhelgren
DIS Veteran

Forgot to ask if you have posted your Navigators anywhere yet. We will be on the Dream Sunday-Thursday on September and I am interested in how many/what time Doc McStuffins and Sophia are out?
jenhelgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
BLTtinkerbell
DIS Veteran

What cabin # did you have?

BLTtinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #11
Kim1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhelgren View Post
Are there certain "points" in the Aqua Duck line that we could refer to and know how long the wait is? We have never been on the Dream so I wasn't sure if there are signs posted "average XX wait from this point" or if you just wait it out a few times. I know that we will recognize a short line when we see one but my kids are not patient enough to want to wait 30-40 minutes for one ride down! We also have a 10:30 PAT and I was undecided on lunch/Aqua Duck first. I thought I read somewhere that they don't open the Aqua Duck until a certain time??
According to my Navigator from Day One, the Aqua Duck opened at 11:45. Boarding started around 11:20ish. My daughter says there's a wait time clock at the entrance, but that's it.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
Kim1964

I didn't post my Navigators (probably won't....running out of time before I have to go back to my crazy work life), but I don't see either of those listed in the Navigators I have. However, I only have Sunday and Tuesday. I don't know what happened to Monday and Wednesday.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
Kim1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by blttinkerbell View Post
what cabin # did you have?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #14
Hawaii697
Earning My Ears

Good morning and thank you for sharing your review on the Dream. Sailing on my first Disney cruise in October. Would love to have a heads up on how to get tickets in advance to see the Disney princesses. Is this some we do once we board or can we do it online prior to sailing? Thanks!
Hawaii697 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:14 AM   #15
Luv Donald Duck
Mouseketeer

I was curious about gratuity, is there a way to prepay or do they just charge you at the end of your cruise??
Luv Donald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: