Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
3littleangels
Earning My Ears

Blue Hole Jamaica - Recommended Age for Kids

Tons of research but not a lot of relevant answers so I am hoping I can get some assistance here. My DH and I are taking our two kids (ages 5 and 4) on the Western Caribbean cruise in September. Both kids can't swim but love to play with water and float in swimming pools (with life vest). We have heard glowing reviews about Blue Hole but not entirely sure about suitable minimum age for kids.

The limited reviews I was able to find online do not contain enough information for us to go either way. I am curious to know if anyone has gone to Blue Hole with minor kids. If yes, I would appreciate information such as approximate age of your kid(s), whether he/she/they enjoyed the experience, and your recommendations.

Thank you very much!
3littleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
bridget
DIS Veteran

We've been twice. We LOVED it. My son was 6 when we went. He can swim, but we brought his life jacket. The guides are great. My son did everything except jump out of a tree (maybe 30-40 ft up).

There is quite a bit of jumping off of things into the water, and not much floating. It isn't a tubing experience. That might be more fun for your little ones.

I don't recall seeing many children younger than my son.
Register to remove

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
3littleangels
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget View Post
We've been twice. We LOVED it. My son was 6 when we went. He can swim, but we brought his life jacket. The guides are great. My son did everything except jump out of a tree (maybe 30-40 ft up). There is quite a bit of jumping off of things into the water, and not much floating. It isn't a tubing experience. That might be more fun for your little ones. I don't recall seeing many children younger than my son.
Thank you Bridget. One additional question for your family during the two visits. Was the hike difficult or physically demanding for your son? Thanks again.
3littleangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

We went with our 12 and 8 year old dds, neither of whom is a strong swimmer. The 12 year old was okay with jumping in the first pool - with lifejacket on - but the 8 year old wouldn't. Because of the current we did find it a bit tiring to swim back to the path. There is no place where you can just walk in and out of the water. You have to be able to jump in and then pull yourself out.

Walking up and through the upper falls was fun and there were some smaller pools that were easier for them to walk into.

The lower pool with the rope swing had a higher jump in. There were a couple of younger boys there (6? 8?) who took the jump. I wimped out and walked down to where it was only about a 5' jump LOL. Neither of my girls would jump in.

A lot depends on how adventurous your kids are and if they'd be game for jumping in...there are lifejackets there and the guides keep an eye on you but they aren't trained lifeguards or anything like that.
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: