Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #1
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Delta Amex

Hi
I currently have six tickets for my family booked on delta for December. I am contemplating getting the delta Amex for the free checked bags, saving $300. My original plan was to do one to two checked bags if needed and have everyone use a carrying, to save money. Now I'm worried abut my short layover in Atlanta thinking if all my bags were checked that would make it easier??
Anyone have any experience with the card? I don't plan on building miles or using it, only getting it for free bags and the. Canceling before annual fee comes up.
Do you have to have the card with you at the airport?
If my husband booked our tickets, but I got the card, since I'm a passenger in the party, everyone else will get the reward also right?
Lastly, can I use this reward being I already booked my tickets?

Thanks for any advice, I've searched though the Internet, but find so many different answers!
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefritz View Post
Hi
I currently have six tickets for my family booked on delta for December. I am contemplating getting the delta Amex for the free checked bags, saving $300. My original plan was to do one to two checked bags if needed and have everyone use a carrying, to save money. Now I'm worried abut my short layover in Atlanta thinking if all my bags were checked that would make it easier??
Anyone have any experience with the card? I don't plan on building miles or using it, only getting it for free bags and the. Canceling before annual fee comes up.
Do you have to have the card with you at the airport?
If my husband booked our tickets, but I got the card, since I'm a passenger in the party, everyone else will get the reward also right?
Lastly, can I use this reward being I already booked my tickets?

Thanks for any advice, I've searched though the Internet, but find so many different answers!
I've had this card for a couple years. All you have to do is link your skymiles # (frequent flyer) to the credit card when you enroll. Then any reservation with your skymiles # on it will get the free bags. Traveling companions get the benefit as long as you are on the same reservation, I believe up to 9 people. You don't have to have the card with you, you don't have to charge the tickets to the card.

In addition to the one free bag per person on the reservation, you also get zone 1 boarding.

I recently bought a house and have been charging my furniture to the card, I'm up to 92,000 miles total (I had miles before I got the card).
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #3
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I've had this card for a couple years. All you have to do is link your skymiles # (frequent flyer) to the credit card when you enroll. Then any reservation with your skymiles # on it will get the free bags. Traveling companions get the benefit as long as you are on the same reservation, I believe up to 9 people. You don't have to have the card with you, you don't have to charge the tickets to the card.

In addition to the one free bag per person on the reservation, you also get zone 1 boarding.

I recently bought a house and have been charging my furniture to the card, I'm up to 92,000 miles total (I had miles before I got the card).
Debbie is right on. We did the same thing for previous trips... purchase the tickets then get the AmEx card.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #4
nefritz
Mouseketeer

Thank you
nefritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
anonymousegirl
DIS Veteran

I have the card and use it for trips to WDW. I have never been Zone 1. Zone 2, yes, but never 1. Maybe because I buy the least expensive coach fare?
Is the Zone 1 a new perk?
1973 Disneyland Hotel;1985 WDW Grosvenor; 1988 same;1994 off-site; 1997 off-site; July 2008 POR; December 2008 Pop Century; January 2009 Contemporary, BCV; March 2009 Pop Century; May 2009 Grand California at DLR; September 2009 SSR; December 2009 Pop; May 2010 DL off site; July 2010 Disneyland Hotel; October 2010 Disneyland Hotel; January 2011 Saratoga Springs;May 2011 Disneyland off-site; October 2011 AKV Kidani; DLR OMDD Leap Day 2012; June 2012 BCV/Vero Beach; September 2012 All Star Sports; December 2012 Grand Floridian; DLR off site February 2013;DLR off site for Long Lost Friends week April 2013;DLR Paradise Pier Hotel July 2013; DLR off site November 2013;Aulani DVC January 2014; WDW OKW May 2014; WDW October 2014
anonymousegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

Love me some Delta AMEX!

It is my opinion that the Delta AMEX is the best co-branded card available, and I highly recommend it. It offers so much more than you think...

In my research to reduce expenses for our semi-annual pilgrimages to visit the Mouse, I was looking for a way to mitigate some transportation costs. I looked at all of the credit cards that offered flights, and decided a companion card would work well, due to our frequent trips. In comparing the cards that offer this benefit (Alaska Airlines, US Airways, AMEX Platinum, and Delta), I found that the Delta card offers lots of benefits.

1) One free checked bag for everyone in the party (up to 9 including the card holder. In addition, it stacks with Silver Medallion benefits to allow 2 checked bags.

http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...index.jsp#amex

T&Cs: http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...t_bag_free.jsp

2) Priority Boarding for you and up to 9 members of your party, including the card holder.

(http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...x.jsp#priority

Quote:
Via our Delta Sky Priority® lane, all passengers in BusinessElite®, First, or Business Class will be invited to preboard. All Diamond, Platinum, and Gold Medallion® members, SkyTeam ElitePlus customers, Alaska Airlines® MVP® Gold members, and eligible American Express cardholders are then invited to board. Silver Medallion members and SkyTeam Elite customers can begin boarding after that using the Sky Priority boarding lane when traveling in Economy Class.
).

3) Delta Skyclub access for card member and two guests for $25.

Let me tell you why this is important. If irregular operations occur during travel (weather, mechanical, or other problem causes a severe delay or cancellation, there are going to be hundreds of passengers demanding the gate agent's attention. However instead of fighting the mob to rebook a flight, you could go into the Skyclub to accomplish the same thing with a much shorter line and much greater customer service. Of course this is in addition to simply being able to relax in the Skyclub during a long connection or early morning arrival to the airport.

4) Companion pass. Each of the three main Delta AMEX cards (Gold, Platinum, and Reserve) offer an annual companion pass. The cost is based on card level (economy $99+taxes/fess for Gold, economy $0+taxes/fees for Platinum, and economy/First class $0+taxes/fees for Reserve). Usually this certificate will make-up for the annual fee of the card (at least for our family), making the other benefits gravy!

http://www.delta.com/planning_reserv...ates/index.jsp

Note, verify companion pass is available for Gold card members and take screen prints of offer you sign up for.

5) 20% discount in in-flight purchases. This isn't huge, but if you use in-flight entertainment or buy food/beverages, it may shave a buck or two off. Given many people change gas stations to save $1 on fill-up ($0.05 less per gallon for 20 gallons or $0.10 less per gallon for 10 gallons), this is a nice "extra".

These are the main recurring benefits. In addition, it is an American Express card, so it comes with solid purchase protection, an ability to get primary car rental coverage, travel assistance, and a lot of other benefits.

Of course, you'll also get the sign-up bonus miles after certain spend. The public Gold card offer is for 30,000 Delta miles, but a recent targeted offer was for 75,000 miles! The last big non-targeted offer was for 60,000 miles. You can go here to see what your offer is:

https://www.deltaamexcard.com/default.aspx?et=dbu

I got the Platinum with 40,000 miles + 15,000 Medallion (elite) qualifying miles, which comes and goes. Currently, it is at 35,000 miles + 10,000 MQMs (https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...&openeep=43607).

In summary, I have the Platinum Delta AMEX. For the $150 annual fee I get a free companion certificate (round trip airfare for DD, $200+), free checked bags ($75 benefit), priority boarding, Skyclub access for $25 per visit, and 20% off IFE. Not bad for a non-elite, I think.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Greysword

DIS Dad #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousegirl View Post
I have the card and use it for trips to WDW. I have never been Zone 1. Zone 2, yes, but never 1. Maybe because I buy the least expensive coach fare?
Is the Zone 1 a new perk?
For a bit, they changed the boarding zones to:

Prem (first/business class)
Sky (Gold Medallion - Diamond Medallion and Sky Team/Alsaka Air equivalents)
Zone 1 (Silver medallions, AMEX holders, a la cart purchasers, economy comfort)
Zone 2-4 (cattle class ).

I think they switched it again, though.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Echo queen
I like the idea of being close to the action
I had to buy another piece of luggage today and shoes and a floppy hat
The camping trip got a little hairy

Quote:

Sounds great, Purchased our January flights with Delta we usually fly SW. The card sounds great with no purchase and free 1st bag for all.

Echo queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:35 AM   #9
TheRustyScupper
Seeing isn't Believing. Believing is Seeing.

Quote:
. . . I'm up to 92,000 miles total . . .

1) I use the Delta AMEX card for almost everything.
2) Or, we use the AMEX "Blue" due to the big rebates.
3) I still have over 420,000 miles left on the Delta AMEX. *
4) Although I have Gold status, AMEX gets more of my family. **
5) So, the pre-board, coupled with baggage fees, makes it worth while.
6) And, yes, people do get it and cancel before the annual card fee is due.

* I have had over 4-million reward miles, but we have used a lot of them.
We do use them for some USA trips, but only for First Class, as Coach Class
is usually a bad exchange rate with such cheap cash fares. The miles are
especially valuable for trans-oceanic First/Biz Class tickets as the miles far
outweigh paying cash.

** Gold Status can't get a big family on early, but AMEX is good for 9 others.
Plus, the AMEX covers everyone's Coach Class luggage, where my Gold only
works for those seated in First.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
Echo queen

Can someone comment on the sky club access for $25? What is that about.

Last edited by Echo queen; 10-26-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Greysword

DIS Dad #618

I forgot to add a couple things about the Delta AMEX card:

1) Unlike other co-branded cards, you don't need to purchase the tickets with the Delta AMEX to receive the benefits. You could use a Chase card, pay cash, or have Uncle Fred buy it for you, and on check-in you still get the free checked bag, boarding, etc. Other cards require you to purchase the ticket with the co-branded card specifically.

2) With the card, Sky Miles can be used to purchase Delta tickets instead of redeeming for a ticket at a 1 point = $0.01 rate. This is like SouthWest (WN), JetBlue (B3), and Virgin (VX?) as well as AMEX Membership Rewards redemption. Since Delta has one of the highest award redemption costs and no one-way awards, being able to purchase a ticket allows for fewer airline mile usage and the ticket earns FF miles, too (where an award would not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
Can someone comment on the sky club access for $25? What is that about.
Info on the benefit:
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...ship/index.jsp

SkyClub info:
https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...club/index.jsp

Terms & Conditions:
Quote:
Benefit is limited to Cardmembers with a Gold or Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express and may be used only in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel on any airline. Payment must be made with a Gold or Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express. Cardmember must be at least 21 years of age to access Clubs with a self-service bar, unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who is a Club member or paid visitor. Up to two guests are permitted upon payment of $25 per guest. Partner lounges are not included. Amenities may vary among airport Club locations. Offers and rules subject to change. Additional restrictions may apply. All Delta Sky Club rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skyclub. Please drink responsibly.
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Echo queen

Thanks for all of your help. My card is on the way. I suppose my sky miles number will come with that so I can add it to my flights.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for all of your help. My card is on the way. I suppose my sky miles number will come with that so I can add it to my flights.
I think you need to go to the Delta website and join Skymiles then when you get your Amex, link it to your Skymiles account. You don't hav to wait for your credit card to arrive to join Skymiles and add the number to your reservation.

We've flown 3 round trips on Delta in the last year since I got the credit card (most recently last week) and we've boarded in zone 1 every time. So, for now, at least, Amex cardholders are boarding in zone 1.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Echo queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
I think you need to go to the Delta website and join Skymiles then when you get your Amex, link it to your Skymiles account. You don't hav to wait for your credit card to arrive to join Skymiles and add the number to your reservation.

We've flown 3 round trips on Delta in the last year since I got the credit card (most recently last week) and we've boarded in zone 1 every time. So, for now, at least, Amex cardholders are boarding in zone 1.
Thanks for the tip I joined sky miles and linked my flights.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
travelstar01
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks for the tip I joined sky miles and linked my flights.
Thanks for this information, I received my card a few weeks ago and I just signed up for sky miles. Can you help with linking my reservation to the account? Can I still do it if I purchased my airlines tickets with my Disney package? I'm so confused. I ordered the American Express card just for the free bagage offer. When I got my card, I called them, they said since I did not use my card to make the purchase, there would not be a way to have my reservation number linked to the card.
travelstar01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: