DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the purchase of DVC?
Yes 48 96.00%
No 1 2.00%
Maybe 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
DVC4KMC
Earning My Ears

On the fence about buying BLT 250pts. Please tell us the good and the bad!

We are in the process of buying at BLT. We are trying to figure out if this fits our needs. We can see the value of staying at the Disney properties. How easy is it to exchange for other trips such as skiing or Europe thru RCI? If anyone can help and let us know your good and bad experiences, we would appreciate it! Thanks!!
DVC4KMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
jimmiemcinpa
Mouseketeer

1998 Owner

We bought at OKW in 1998 and we have liked it. We have added on multiple times and own 110 points at BLT. The rooms are great and the location is nice. We prefer a less hotelish feel so we have just enough points to stay theere for short stays or every few years. We also cruise and have done ABD. We do not use points for those as I am a believer that the value to trade is not as good as cash. I always look at 10.00 per point and figure if Im better paying cash. We did trade into the Kona Coast resort years ago and it was fine we just like the Disney accomidations a little better. The cost of MF'S is high with Disney so if I were planning on trading out I might look at buying a resale somewhere and just trading them into RCI.

Hope this helps a little,

Jim

It was easy using MS to do our trade and all the people I have talked to say trading for cruises and ABD as well as RCI is easy.

Last edited by jimmiemcinpa; 03-26-2012 at 11:43 AM. Reason: adding
jimmiemcinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

I would not buy to trade, Only to use at DW, if that means less points... Thank buy less points.

I also rec buying smaller contracts, like 2 80 point contracts and a 90. In case you want to sell some of your points and/or when you do bigger contracts cost less per point resale.

I would also consider resale, you will save a ton of $$.

I love my DVC, never regretted it for a min. (I did buy resale, and fewer points, in case I want to skip a yr.)

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
gray52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC4KMC View Post
We are in the process of buying at BLT. We are trying to figure out if this fits our needs. We can see the value of staying at the Disney properties. How easy is it to exchange for other trips such as skiing or Europe thru RCI? If anyone can help and let us know your good and bad experiences, we would appreciate it! Thanks!!
You are in the process of buying or determining if you should buy? In most instances, trading into RCI should not be a determining factor for buying DVC.

Reading these boards thoroughly is the start of the process in figuring out if DVC fits your needs. As you will read over and over again, trading DVC through RCI is not your best use of your points. We never have, nor ever plan to. If we don't use our points, we plan to bank. If we can't bank we'll look to transfer. If we can't transfer we'll look to rent. If no other options are available, we might then consider an RCI trade.

There are many reasons to buy and many reasons not to buy. Keep reading the "purchasing" boards and most of your questions can be answered.

Good luck.
gray52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We own 310 points at BLT and don't regret a thing. Gets us a week in a 2 bedroom in September. Have used our BLT points to stay at all of the WDW DVC resorts (except for VWL, we'll get there eventually ). Don't know about trading out, sorry, but we bought with the full intention of staying at WDW.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Buy your DVC points to stay in DVC resorts, especially your home resort. If you don't ever plan on staying at Vero Beach, don't buy at VB. If you want to go to DL often, buy your points at the GCV. If Hawaii is your dream come true, buy at Aulani. But don't buy DVC points to go skiing in Europe.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC4KMC View Post
We are happy we bought (own 250 pts. at SSR since Dec. 2006) and used our points to cruise ONCE. We won't make that mistake again. It is very costly to use points to cruise on DCL or for ABD. We also found the point values very, very poor to try to use them at Disneyland Paris last summer so we booked a package on cash. Likewise, we couldn't find short term choices through RCI for Paris or Barcelona - anything offered would have required a full weeks stay and we were on the move and had an agenda to see a lot while we were there. I think the point values to trade to RCI are OK IF you can find a decent enough resort to trade to somewhere and if you have the patience to plan that far out (18-24 months is what I think they recommend). I feel like the resort choices offered through RCI are poor (not up to the same standard as DVC) for the most part so I agree with the other posters who have said to buy DVC if you want to visit WDW annually and you want to stay onsite. Do not buy it for trading power. If you want to trade then you should buy something like Marriott which offers quality choices in a lot of places from within.

Someone mentioned buying resale...that would give you the cheapest cost per point BY A LOT but the points would have use restrictions (can't use outside of the DVC resorts). Gather all the info. here that you can before you purchase so you can make an informed decision.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
awilliams4
DIS Veteran

We purchased 290 BLT points direct back when they were selling for $96 each.

We do not regret the purchase (9 contracts in all, 25, 25, 25, 25, 30, 30, 30, 50, 50 points respectively)

We don't anticipate trading out to RCI or anything else for that matter. For the most part, you do not get a good ROI trading out of DVC. We have rented points to help pay for a Disney Cruise and in the future, if we don't use our points for DVC, we would rent them out or bank them if we were a little low.
awilliams4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

I suggest that you take some time to learn about the DVC. There is more to ownership than just making a reservation. There are restrictions, rules, policies, and the realization that you won't always get the reservation that you want.

Home Resort
UY
Banking
Borrowing

Are important concepts that you need to understand.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

And check out the threads about getting a different resort at 7 months out and about the frustration of getting a DVC villa when you can't get it right away. Everyone wants to go in October for Food & Wine, so you have to book your home resort and maybe get something else exactly at 7 months out.

And what you see available on the Disney website is not what you can book using points. You'll be told by Member Services that nothing is available in the room category or resort that you want and you'll see the exact same thing available for cash directly from Disney. But that's probably what some member traded out to go on a Disney Cruise or to stay at the Polynesian or some other non-DVC trade. They won't ever move that inventory back over to points inventory. It's gone forever.

And they will leave DVC villas vacant that need to be booked for cash rather than give them to members for points.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
JimC
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

We enjoy our purchase because it delivers what we bought it for -- Disney quality in one bedroom villas at deluxe resorts for about the price of on-site moderate hotel room.

We never traded outside of Disney. We own MVCI and use Marriott Rewards for non-Disney holidays. Even within Disney, where we did exchange to other resorts on occasion, we no longer believe the trades are worthwhile.

We have not had problems trading within DVC.

Take your time and read more about DVC and other timeshares to determine what is the best fit for your vacation goals and budget.
WDW - All Star Movies (Fantasia), Animal Kingdom Lodge (3), Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo House-2, Kidani Village-6), Bay Lake Towers (8), Beach Club, Beach Club Villas (9), Boardwalk Villas, Contemporary (2), Caribbean Beach (Aruba-2, Jamaica-2), Coronado Springs (Casitas-3), Dixie Landings (Bayou), Disney Institute (Villas-3), Grand Floridian (Sago Cay), Old Key West (5), Polynesian (Figi), Port Orleans, Saratoga Springs (Carousel, Congress Park, Grandstand-2, Paddock, Springs, Treehouse Villas), Villas at Grand Floridian, Villas at Wilderness Lodge (5), Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, Other (Cypress Harbour-6, Doubletree Castle, Renaissance WorldGate, Village [Royal Plaza, Pickett Suite])
DCL - Dream (2/11 4, 10/11 3, 2/12 4, 5/13 4, 5/14 4), Fantasy (11/13 Eastern, 10/14 Western), Magic (6/99 4, 5/05 Panama Canal, 9/08 5, 11/10 Eastern, 10/11 Western), Wonder (12/06 4, 9/09 4, 5/12 Alaska)
DL - Grand Californian (4), Villas Grand Californian (3), Marriott
Other DVC - Hilton Head, Vero Beach (6)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
starbox
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island. " - Walt Disney

Personally, I would not buy at BLT if I didn't absolutely LOVE that particular resort, would always book more than 7 months in advance, and wanted to stay at BLT in a high demand room (MK view) EVERY TRIP. If you are looking to play around with your points BY ALL MEANS - buy the cheapest resale points and get more points for the same amount of $$$. You could likely get 350-400 points elsewhere for what you are thinking about paying for those BLT points.

We have been owners for almost 7 years - and while these boards can be all gloom and doom about your chances of staying outside your home resort - we have NEVER had a problem - and that includes 3 years in a row of getting either BCV or BWV during F&W - and I'm about to spend the first part of Easter Week at BLT (on my way to Vero). We've stayed at every single DVC resort more than once. My only regret about buying in was that I did not go for the cheapest resale contract. I would sure LOVE the extra 100-150 points I'd have if I had not purchased direct.

• I wish I could live inside the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.
  • "Why do we have to grow up? I know more adults who have the children's approach to life. They're people who don't give a hang what the Joneses do. You see them at Disneyland every time you go there. They are not afraid to be delighted with simple pleasures, and they have a degree of contentment with what life has brought" - Walt Disney
starbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

We own 445 at BLT. We love BLT. We bought sight unseen. (We tried two DVC resorts before, however: Vero and Wilderness). We have young boys (now 7 and 8) and knew we'd vacation for a good 10 years. We love the condo type accommodations and think Disney does a trip better trip for young kids than any one else. However, I've learned a lesson. I'm not sure I'd buy into DVC just to trade and go elsewhere. I'm not sure the point vs. dollar value purchase is the best. And this is coming from someone who paid for four people to take a Disney Cruise on points. I still think it is worth DVC if you like traveling to Disney resorts and will use them. But I certainly wouldn't purchase in if you think you want to trade out. It isn't as great of a deal. Instead of trading out points to RCI, I figured I'd always be able to rent my points... someone, somewhere is always going to have young kids who want to go to Disney! But taking my own points and trading them for cruises, RCI, etc... hasn't panned out to be as great of a deal as I'd hoped. But I still love DVC and seeing my boys' happy faces every time we set foot on a Disney property makes it all worthwhile!
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
runmommyrun
Mouseketeer

I guess I should add that we've never had a problem booking a non-home resort seven months out. We are staying at BCV in June, and have stayed at Wilderness, Saratoga Springs and Vero Beach, as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for Aulani and Villas at Grand California in 2013. That is going to be the real test!
Beach Club Villas/Port Orleans-French Quarter, Star Wars Weekend (June 2014); Bay Lake Tower/AoA, MNSSHP & Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2013); Aulani and Villas at Grand Californian (June 2013); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2012); Beach Club Villas/Dream Cruise/Bay Lake Tower (June 2012); Bay Lake Tower, Epcot Food & Wine Festival (Oct. 2011); Bay Lake Tower (June 2011); Vero Beach (March 2011); Saratoga Springs (Jan. 2011); Wilderness Lodge Villas & Bay Lake Tower (Aug. 2010); Vero Beach (March 2010); Wilderness Lodge (June 2009); Off-site (1998, 1997 & 1986)
runDisney
2011 Disney Marathon & Kid Races; 2011 Wine & Dine Half Marathon; Castaway Cay 5K June 2012
DVC Member since March 2010
runmommyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
mdsd8700
It's kind of fun to do the impossible

We purchased two years ago at BLT and love it! We bought at BLT because of location and contract length both were important to us.

As others have said it is best to research/do your homework about all the in and outs of DVC. It is a major financial commitment and you don't want to spend tons of cash and then realize you didn't understand how part of the membership worked and be upset by that. There are many wise DVC owners here and many have already posted. Be sure to keep UY in mind and understand banking/borrowing. I would definately go resale, if you buy DVC Disney is going to get enough of your money over the years no need to give them extra

Good Luck with your decision.

All Who Come To This Happy Place Welcome,
mdsd8700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blt, dvc guide, help me!, rci, rci exchange

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: