Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
atsolomon
Mouseketeer

I saw John Carter (of Mars) this weekend and LOVED it. I cannot comment on the Hunger Games.

The marketing problems with the movie starts with the name. It sounds like a documentary. Why didn't they name it after the book it's based on: Princess of Mars? I think we can all answer that.

Anyway, Roger Ebert gave it a good review, I liked the look of the trailer, and I'm a big science fiction fan. I'm really glad I gave this film a chance.

I think this open letter to the Walt Disney Studios chairman raises a lot of very good questions regarding the marketing of the film and the press release saying they were taking a write down on the film: http://thejohncarterfiles.com/2012/0...-richard-ross/

--Adam

2000 CBR, 2004 FQ, 2004 Beach Club, 2008 & 2011 Coronado Springs (and off site at Caribe Royale)
2013 DLR (off site)

My photostream on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/atsolo
atsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #17
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsolomon View Post
I think this open letter to the Walt Disney Studios chairman raises a lot of very good questions regarding the marketing of the film and the press release saying they were taking a write down on the film: http://thejohncarterfiles.com/2012/0...-richard-ross/

--Adam
Great read; thanks for sharing.

It really does seem like Disney has been doing its best to hamper John Carter every step of the way. It's disconcerting, considering how ripe the source material is and how receptive audiences are to even average science fiction movies, that it's going to be viewed as such a financial disaster, despite the fact that before Disney's press release it still had a chance to gain traction with audiences.
JoshuaShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #18
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

I have to disagree with your daughter's opinion. I saw John Carter and The Hunger Games. John Carter wasn't terrible but it wasn't much more than average. It was draggy with little action and had weak dialogue. As a PP commented, it felt very out of date - like what science fiction was about 50 years ago. The Hunger Games, on the other hand, was an absolute epic. The acting was top notch. The suspense was constant. I left the theatre and I couldn't wait to see what would happen to Katness next. I have already forgotten pretty much what John Carter was about and wouldn't go see a sequel even if they made it.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
Dixiemom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
Hunger Games - $155 million in 3 days
John Carter - 65 million in 3 WEEKS

Hunger Games Production budget - 78 million
John Carter Production budget - 250 million

I bet there is a 10 times better chance that you see a sequel to Hunger and not John.
You are correct. Jennifer Lawrence has already signed on to be in the movie versions of the other two books. Saw the movie opening night and liked it but haven't read any of the books. Have no desire to see John Carter at all.

Lynn, mom of 2

DS 14, DD 9
Dixiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #20
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

As the OP correctly pointed out, this thread is off topic for the Theme Parks boards. So I've moved it to the Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music board.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
2Guys1Mouse
Burning My Ears

I LOVED "John Carter! Far exceeded my expectations so much, in fact, that I'm currently obsessing over it .

I think they really would've benefited from an "of Mars" at the end of the title mainly because when I asked people about it they really didnt know what it was about. A lot didnt know it even took place off Earth. But what do I know, my movie didn't bomb >.<

I enjoyed the Hunger Games as well but did find it odd that most of the characters in the games were so apt/excited to kill. I was waiting for that moment for at least one of them to have a mental breakdown but it never came. I guess we lost morality in the future too, lol.
2Guys1Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #22
Krystallen
Earning My Ears

I've yet to see Hunger Games, probably later this week or maybe next week, but I've seen John Carter and it's very good despite poor box office in the US. I watched it with my friend and she also said it's very good. Internationally actually JC does pretty well.

Opening Weekend: $30,180,188
Total Domestic Gross: $63,344,015
Worldwide Gross: $235,444,015

Last edited by Krystallen; 03-29-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Krystallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #23
World Showcaser
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Guys1Mouse View Post
I enjoyed the Hunger Games as well but did find it odd that most of the characters in the games were so apt/excited to kill. I was waiting for that moment for at least one of them to have a mental breakdown but it never came. I guess we lost morality in the future too, lol.
The whole point of the movie was to show the decline of morality, no? The two participants from District 12 were a contrast to the rest of society and it was their morality that ended up screwing the system.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
katerina
Earning My Ears

I saw both movies as well and I agree with your DD, I love the JC movie than the HG. Much much better, for sure. :D
katerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #25
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

Saw JC this weekend and enjoyed it. So did DW and DS. DS could not wait for the sequel. It was difficult to explain why there would not be one. I thought the visuals were great and the story was decently told. I wish a few things would have been more developed, but time is always a problem with book adaptations. Its a shame it wasn't successful Disney really needs a great SciFi movie to exploit for the parks. Imagine a ride based on the solar sailer from the movie. We will never know what could have been. Over budgeted and poorly marketed, what a shame.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: