Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #16
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

following from the YC/BC thread.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
I'm here too and I can't wait to read more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
I'm in! I found your TR through the YC thread and am really looking forward to it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel16 View Post
I am here for our journey! Great start...I laughed so hard at the "just one more trip to WDW". Sounds like so many of us.

We are booked a Epcot resort at Beach Club CL for the very first time. So excited to read all about your trip and learn.

Angel16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
I read your first post and subscribed last night. Can't wait to follow along. This will be a good way to get even more excited (like that's necessary) for our upcoming YC trip!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
Subscribing - our first trip to Bc this year
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookgirl View Post
following from the YC/BC thread.
Welcome to my Trip Report!

To all those heading to the YC and BC this year - you have made an excellent choice!

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Arriving at the Yacht Club

I was so happy to get up on our travel day. (Of course!)

The days leading up to this trip were stressful and we were all ready for our getaway. In addition to general work stress and getting ready for our vacation we were also embarking on renovation stress. We live in a rented apartment in a big city. We rent because it is cheaper than owning in our neighbourhood. One of the joys of renting is that you don’t have to arrange or pay for renovations (the downfall is you don’t always get your way with renovations, but in this case we did.) In the weeks leading up to our trip, I asked the superintendent to renovate our bathroom while we were at Disney. I figured it was a win/win – we win as we avoid having to find an alternate bathroom, and the contractor wins by not having us underfoot. This was all a great idea, but it did add another layer of work to the pre-vacation to do list. Since the bathroom shares a wall with our bedroom closet, we had to empty out our bathroom and our bedroom closet before leaving for Disney. We also had to cover all of our electronics etc. to protect them from drywall dust.

Here is the before pic of our bathroom. I’ll save the rest of the renovation story for later in the trip report.

So enough of our bathroom, you are here to read about travelling to Disney. Our morning began at a normal time, aiming to get out the door at 7:30 am (well normal for us, but the teenager suffered for having to get up earlier than usual. )

When 7:30 am arrived we happily went down to our lobby expecting to jump into our waiting limo and be off – but there was no limo waiting for us. Anytime we go to the airport we call the same company and they always have a car waiting at the time we request. This time they weren’t there. We weren’t worried though, we are early people with plenty of time to get to the airport. Well 7:30 am came and went and still no limo, so I called the company and they had our request but it was for March 11 not March 10 – eek!! We needed to get to the airport and we didn’t have any transportation. I tried not to panic and calmly asked if they had another driver available (keep in mind that this is one of the top three busiest travel days at the Toronto Pearson airport. I’m guessing there were many limo drivers taking people to the airport this morning.) We were pleasantly surprised when the company had another limo at our door in less than 10 minutes. (Whew, so relieved!) Off to the airport!

A brief moment of backtracking…. Earlier in this report I should have mentioned that one of our key travel milestones happened on March 7. We were flying with Air Canada who are in the midst of much labour chaos these days. We anxiously waited for March 7 to pass as that marked the passing of the 72-hours notice they are required to give to strike. Once March 7 passed we knew we would get to Florida, and if they went on strike while we were down there, oh well, we would just have to extend our vacation at the YC.

Back to March 10… Our flight was scheduled to board at 9:35 am, and at 9:30 am they told us we were delayed an hour. Ugh, so after already sitting at the gate for some time, we now had to sit a while longer. This was not easy for the tired teenager.

Finally we were on the plane, and then we landed in Florida only 30 minutes late, rode the monorail teaser and made our way to this wonderful sign.

We were the first in the ME line and on the bus within 5 minutes. Our driver was named Jacques and he was great. He had all sorts of stories along the way and when we were at this point…

He told everyone to get their cameras ready and he slowed down as much as he could for everyone to take pictures. My picture taking skills needed some warming up, so I only managed to get the following but “Welcome to Walt” works for me.

Our first stop was POR Riverside. Here is a really bad picture of their bus stop.

Next up was the Boardwalk. Here is a slightly better picture of the Boardwalk porte-cochère (I rarely have occasion to use the word porte-cochère.)

The next stop should have been the Beach Club, but lucky for us there were some busses blocking the entrance so we were soon passing this sign.

We were the only people getting off at the Yacht Club so it was nice and quick. I was grinning from ear to ear when I saw Stuart come up to us with his clipboard in hand. I knew he was there just to greet us! I love that feeling of being personally greeted. Stuart was so nice to us and took us up to the CL desk for our check in.

Well that is enough prattling on for one day. Next up, I’ll show you pictures of our room.

P.S. I’ll try to keep the updates happening regularly but I’m also trying to maintain my blog as well, and writing both takes a bit of time. I’ll do my best to post every other day or so, but if work gets the better of me there may be longer breaks between posts.

Trip Report - March Break 2012 at the YC http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post44422655
Trip Report - March Break 2010 at CR – with stops at Poly, GF, WL, BW, BC, YC, MK, Epcot, HS, DD, and TL http://www.disboards.com/showthread....4#post35923604
Trip Report - Solo trip - A brief stay at CSR with a stop at AKL (with pics!) http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36750372

FW - 1972 (I think, I was little then!); WL - 2004; WL CL - 2007; CR CL - 2010; CSR - 2010; YC CL - 2012

Last edited by JanetMom; 03-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Great start! I would have been freaking out when the limo wasn't there! Glad they were able to get another one there for you.

We always get a car service in Orlando. But I am thinking of using Magical Express one of these days, to tr it out. How long would you say it took to get from landing to the YC? And when did your luggage show up in your room? Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Marlton Mom
My favorite ride is the "ladies room"...... it's air conditioned and you get to sit down! *Marlton Mom is Rockin a Nikon D90!

OMG Teenager woes!!! I'm right there with ya!!

I've been dealing with "Tired and Crabby" all rolled into one 13 year old. Right now the Wii is unplugged and it's sitting on the counter precariously perched near the circular hole that is cut out for a trash can that is sitting underneath.

Depending on the mood and attitude of the cranky teen it gets pushed closer or further away from the hole of doom. This weekend it was HANGING OVER the HOLE! Now it's back a little but dear son has measured and determined that it has 19 feet and change before it makes it back to it's spot and he can play it again. Easter vacation is in 4 days so I hope he makes it. If his mood and attitude don't improve that thing is TOAST!!!

Keep up the great trip report and fill us in on all the excruciating details of the renovation. We are nosey and have NO LIFE...... so spill it!

~MM
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
ChildAtHeart82
DIS Veteran

I would have been freaking out about the limo not being there! It was great that they were able to have a limo still pick you up. Arrival day is always so exciting!

March 2012 TR October 2012 PTR
Mar 2012: Coronado Springs; Mar 2011: French Quarter; Dec 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter; Oct 2008: All Star Movies - Disneymoon; June 2005: Pop Century; July 2004: Offsite; 1993: Contemporary; 1992: DL (offsite); 1991: Offsite; 1989: DL (offsite); 1987: DL (offsite)
Old 03-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #22
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
Great start! I would have been freaking out when the limo wasn't there! Glad they were able to get another one there for you.

We always get a car service in Orlando. But I am thinking of using Magical Express one of these days, to tr it out. How long would you say it took to get from landing to the YC? And when did your luggage show up in your room? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildAtHeart82 View Post
I would have been freaking out about the limo not being there! It was great that they were able to have a limo still pick you up. Arrival day is always so exciting!
The limo did cause a few moments of freak out, especially since I had been reassuring my husband that I had left us plenty of time to get to the airport. I was dreading the discussion if we had missed our plane!

We actually panicked enough that while we waited for the limo we called a cab as well but the limo got there first and we cancelled the cab.

As for the timing of the ME, I'm glad you asked. I meant to include that detail in my report.

The time from the plane landing to entering our room was 2 hours. Our luggage arrived about 2 hours later.

We took a limo from the airport on our first trip to Disney (before the dawn of Magic Express) but have used the Magic Express on our last four trips and we love it. It is so simple to just get off the plane and go straight to the bus. We always pack one carry on with our swim suits and one change of clothing (which is just good travel practice anyway) and so it is no problem to wait a couple of hours for the luggage delivery.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #23
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlton Mom View Post
OMG Teenager woes!!! I'm right there with ya!!

I've been dealing with "Tired and Crabby" all rolled into one 13 year old. Right now the Wii is unplugged and it's sitting on the counter precariously perched near the circular hole that is cut out for a trash can that is sitting underneath.

Depending on the mood and attitude of the cranky teen it gets pushed closer or further away from the hole of doom. This weekend it was HANGING OVER the HOLE! Now it's back a little but dear son has measured and determined that it has 19 feet and change before it makes it back to it's spot and he can play it again. Easter vacation is in 4 days so I hope he makes it. If his mood and attitude don't improve that thing is TOAST!!!

Keep up the great trip report and fill us in on all the excruciating details of the renovation. We are nosey and have NO LIFE...... so spill it!

~MM
Our son is 15 . Up until last summer he was always a kid that went to bed early. He could barely make it to midnight on New Year's Eve. Now he would stay up until 3:00 am every night if we let him. He usually does that on weekends, but on weeknights he tries to have lights out by midnight.

You are one mean Mom with the Wii. Imagining it makes me very happy. I think the thing that made my son most crazy at Disney was that he had purchased a new XBox game on March 7, so it was hard for him to not be able to play it. (Aww, poor baby). You would think that having free reign on the iPad and having his iPod Touch would have been enough at Disney, but he still missed his electronics at home.

Since you have no life, here is another picture from the pre-renovation bathroom.

And another picture of the hard-done-by teenager waiting for the time to pass until we could leave home.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Just had to share another sleeping teenager. This is my nephew last summer on the drive from Philly back to the Jersey Shore after the Phillies game. At least he's got his seatbelt on. LOL

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
Dreamsdocometrue9112
"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

Subbing in!! This TR seems like it's going to be a good one!

Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
Marlton Mom
My favorite ride is the "ladies room"...... it's air conditioned and you get to sit down! *Marlton Mom is Rockin a Nikon D90!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
The time from the plane landing to entering our room was 2 hours. Our luggage arrived about 2 hours later.
Yeah...... it's ALWAYS depressing when your Magical Express luggage arrives before you do...

~MM
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Great start!!! Love your pictures and descriptions!

I had the same car service freakout on our last trip. We have been using the same car service for over 20 years and they have never failed to show up, always around 15 minutes early. We had an 8 PM pickup and at 7:59 when the car hadn't arrived yet, I asked my husband how late it had to be before I called. He wisely said "The car actually has to BE late before you call"

It arrived soon afterwards.

Oh, somehow I missed that there is a teen in the travelling party! This IS going to be fun!

@ focusondisney- I hope you try the Magical Express. Nothing starts a vacation off better than sitting on the Mickey bus, watching the welcome movie and not laying a hand on your luggage until it is in your room!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #28
JanetMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
Just had to share another sleeping teenager. This is my nephew last summer on the drive from Philly back to the Jersey Shore after the Phillies game. At least he's got his seatbelt on. LOL
They stay up all night, but can also seem to sleep just about anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Great start!!! Love your pictures and descriptions!

Oh, somehow I missed that there is a teen in the travelling party! This IS going to be fun!
It is hard being a teenager (for those that don't know me, there is a lot of sarcasm here.)

Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
shellbelle76
Mouseketeer

Subbing! Loving your TR so far, and can hardly wait to read more.
life is good.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
focusondisney

I'll need some Boo Boo fun
Oh come on! You didn't even give anyone a chance to follow the rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetMom View Post
As for the timing of the ME, I'm glad you asked. I meant to include that detail in my report.

We took a limo from the airport on our first trip to Disney (before the dawn of Magic Express) but have used the Magic Express on our last four trips and we love it. It is so simple to just get off the plane and go straight to the bus. We always pack one carry on with our swim suits and one change of clothing (which is just good travel practice anyway) and so it is no problem to wait a couple of hours for the luggage delivery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
@ focusondisney- I hope you try the Magical Express. Nothing starts a vacation off better than sitting on the Mickey bus, watching the welcome movie and not laying a hand on your luggage until it is in your room!
Thanks for the info on ME! We always use a town car & get to the resort about an hour after landing, even with collecting our own luggage. We usually travel in Sept, May or Dec. One of my DH's favorite things is seeing how fast we make it to the resort. So I don't know if I can convince him to take ME if it means an extra hour getting there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: