Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
Muslickz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I agree! Especially the Japan one. I'd be all over that!

Sayhello
I would be very interested in the Japan one as well.... I think I could get on board sounds like a great time

-M
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #32
WeLoveABD
DIS Veteran

It would be fascinating to see what they put together if ABD does Japan--when we were on the 2008 China trip with Dusty, he said they had scouted it out and gave a lot of consideration to Japan, but the costs didn't pan out. Not sure if the current economy there helps at all--I am sure they'd have the group stay at least one or two nights at the Disneyland resort there....maybe it would be combined with another country? Maybe part of the development of guides for a yet-announced Disney cruise itinerary in the Far East?

The ABD rep we talked to a few weeks ago made it sound like there would be an ABD announcement around May 20 or 21...but that could be in conjunction with the 2013 Disney Magic cruises in the med and the as-yet revealed details for the ABD add-on (pre-cruise Barcelona/Madrid mini ABD vacation).
ABD: Scotland (2014), Greece (06/12), Peru (08/11), Germany (12/09), Knights & Lights (12/08), China (06/08), Italy (06/07). DCL: 7 night Alaska Cruise Disney Wonder (7/13), 5 night Xmas Cruise Disney Dream (12/12), 12 night Baltic Disney Magic (06/10), 10-Night Mediterranean Cruise Barcelona, Disney Magic (06/07) Mexican Riveria Cruise Disney Magic (06/05), 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Disney Magic (05/02), 7-Night Vacation Pkg : 4-Night resort and 3-Night cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic (05/99). Hong Kong Disneyland (2008), Paris Disneyland (2008), WDW a few and Disneyland 100+; D23 Charter Member. And completely unbiased!
WeLoveABD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #33
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveABD View Post
Maybe part of the development of guides for a yet-announced Disney cruise itinerary in the Far East?
Another trip that would be very difficult to pass up.

Destination D WDW Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
lrweaver
Earning My Ears

South Africa

For those of you who have mentioned the South Africa trip, my daughter (then 12 years old) and I did this trip last summer, and it has to be the best trip we have ever taken. We have traveled a lot and usually travel on our own. But for Africa, I wanted to be with a group. We had never done a Disney trip before but LOVED the trip so much that we are going to Alaska this summer. Vietnam is on my list of places I want to visit. I'd decided that this summer would be our last Disney trip (because of the cost) but, a trip to Vietnam? I would do that in a heartbeat. Can't wait for the details so that I can find out how much money I need to save.
lrweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 AM   #35
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jitzy View Post
I've lived here in Japan these last four months. I think you could visit Japan easily without a tour group if you wished. Maybe a do it yourself add-on to the Southeast Asia Tour? Finishing up of course, at Tokyo Disney and Disney Sea.

The hardest part about Japan? The only place I can get a proper Diet Coke is from the commissary and they only sell cans. I took a suitcase to Kyoto/Hiroshima/Miyajima Island full of soda. Seriously....
I agree. I don't think ABD is necessary for Japan at all. It is very simple to travel and get around there! Things are SO well organized and clean! The hardest part is that there is not as much English as I expected, but that was easily overcome.

I don't live in Japan, but we have lived in China for 6 years now. We have visited Japan as a family and felt like it was paradise compared to China. I was 7.5 months pregnant with #3 and had two other young kids in tow and it was still easy. My husband has to go frequently on business and sends me phone message taunts about how nice it is to be there again.

China has more English in Beijing and Shanghai than Tokyo does, but in the smaller cities in China, things would be tougher for a foreigner traveler than Japan is. The facilities and infrastructure are just not of the same class- not even close.

Japan is also pretty small and the rail system is like Europe - clean, orderly, dependable, simple to figure out. (Ok, obviously avoid the subway in big cities during rush hour...)

If Disney had an ABD for Japan, I certainly would not discourage anyone from doing it, but since it does not, I suggest to those of you who would love to go there: it is really not very tough to do at all. AND for a mid trip break, book into Tokyo Disney for a couple days. I wanted to do a ABD Europe this summer (so that someone would move my luggage .) Unfortunately, they are all booked up. I had already told my son that we would go, so we are blazing our own trail this summer too.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 AM   #36
Jitzy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJsmama View Post
I agree. I don't think ABD is necessary for Japan at all. It is very simple to travel and get around there! Things are SO well organized and clean! The hardest part is that there is not as much English as I expected, but that was easily overcome.

I don't live in Japan, but we have lived in China for 6 years now. We have visited Japan as a family and felt like it was paradise compared to China. I was 7.5 months pregnant with #3 and had two other young kids in tow and it was still easy. My husband has to go frequently on business and sends me phone message taunts about how nice it is to be there again.

China has more English in Beijing and Shanghai than Tokyo does, but in the smaller cities in China, things would be tougher for a foreigner traveler than Japan is. The facilities and infrastructure are just not of the same class- not even close.

Japan is also pretty small and the rail system is like Europe - clean, orderly, dependable, simple to figure out. (Ok, obviously avoid the subway in big cities during rush hour...)

If Disney had an ABD for Japan, I certainly would not discourage anyone from doing it, but since it does not, I suggest to those of you who would love to go there: it is really not very tough to do at all. AND for a mid trip break, book into Tokyo Disney for a couple days. I wanted to do a ABD Europe this summer (so that someone would move my luggage .) Unfortunately, they are all booked up. I had already told my son that we would go, so we are blazing our own trail this summer too.
Totally agree! I think that if you have booked a China trip and could afford it, Japan is worth a stop, if you've flown all that way, why not? Five days in Tokyo, a couple in Kyoto and one for Hiroshima and possibly one for Miyajima Island. If you've seen one shrine/temple, you've seen them all! Just don't come over during Golden Week. The offices shut down and it gets crazy with traffic. The Japanese people are so productive, until they go on vacation. Then they like to have fun!
Jitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #37
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I think it's wonderful that people live in a place for a time and learn to get around and learn the language. But I don't think you can advise people that they "could easily do it on their own".

When you live in a place for a time, I'm sure you'd have lots of time to explore by trial and error; I think people who are taking ABD's are often doing a "survey" of the place for future longer trips, or visiting for just a short time. While most of us strive to learn a little language and read up in the guidebooks about the places we are visiting. There is just not the time in a week or 14 day time frame to learn your way around. People with only a 2 week vacation don't have that luxury and might prefer the assistance of excellent guiding and having the itinerary all set for them!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #38
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
All European ABD's are booked up for this summer? Wow! Good for ABD! I'm sorry there was nothing available for you, but I'm glad ABD is doing so well!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #39
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslickz View Post
I would be very interested in the Japan one as well.... I think I could get on board sounds like a great time

-M
Yeah Japan is a dream destination for me and trying to plan for a trip there is just nuts! I could spend a week in Tokyo alone. If they do decide to do Japan I hope they include Tokyo Disneyland and the Ghibli Museum since they distribute those films here.

From what I hear Tokyo Disneyland rivals Disney World and the Original Disneyland in California as the best Disney park! Tokyo Disney Sea is gorgeous!

I watch NHK a lot and they do a bunch of tourist destinations on there every once in awhile(they did Tokyo Disney Sea once too) and the more I watch the more I want to drop what ever I'm doing and fly to Japan. I absolutely love Asian Art I about wanted to live in the Japan Pavilion in Epcot on my last trip.

Also I love your signature image Muslickz!

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
RSM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
All European ABD's are booked up for this summer? Wow! Good for ABD! I'm sorry there was nothing available for you, but I'm glad ABD is doing so well!

Sayhello
Our Central Italy tour for 6/17 doesn't show up on the Rates/Dates link anymore. But I know it is only 54% booked. Maybe they start to take the tours down or close them when they get inside of a window.
RSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #41
JJsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
I think it's wonderful that people live in a place for a time and learn to get around and learn the language. But I don't think you can advise people that they "could easily do it on their own".
I am all for agreeing to disagree, but I have to wonder why you are quoting my text while totally misrepresenting what I said.

First of all, I said "If Disney had an ABD for Japan, I certainly would not discourage anyone from doing it, but since it does not, I suggest to those of you who would love to go there: it is really not very tough to do at all." I was speaking to people who might like to go there despite the fact that there is no ABD there.

Also, I was describing visiting Japan as a tourist, for one week, just like every one else. I have never lived in Japan. I live in China. No skills or language which I have learned in China would have helped in Japan whatsoever. Japan is more similar to the USA than it is to China.

Although I live in China, I never advised people to do China on their own. Although I have taken 12-15 different week long holidays throughout Southeast Asia on our own as a family, I never claimed that those were 'easy' either. Therefore honestly, I feel wrongly accused of what you are suggesting. I was trying to be honest and helpful, given my somewhat unique perspective. Perhaps I'll keep my mouth shut.

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #42
JJsmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM View Post
Our Central Italy tour for 6/17 doesn't show up on the Rates/Dates link anymore. But I know it is only 54% booked. Maybe they start to take the tours down or close them when they get inside of a window.
I'm just going by what Kevin told me when he checked dates for me. I was ready to hand over the Amex. I was frustrated too (with ABD) because the dates still showed available on the ABD website, but apparently they were full when he called. I wish they would change the website when the dates get full, so that you can try and plan trips that actually have availabililty. I'm sure Kevin would have taken my business if he could have. You are right that perhaps some are available in early June. I could not go before late June.

Last edited by JJsmama; 05-09-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added for clarification
Old 05-09-2012, 08:09 PM   #43
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I am all for agreeing to disagree, but I have to wonder why you are quoting my text while totally misrepresenting what I said.

First of all, I said "If Disney had an ABD for Japan, I certainly would not discourage anyone from doing it, but since it does not, I suggest to those of you who would love to go there: it is really not very tough to do at all." I was speaking to people who might like to go there despite the fact that there is no ABD there.

Also, I was describing visiting Japan as a tourist, for one week, just like every one else. I have never lived in Japan. I live in China. No skills or language which I have learned in China would have helped in Japan whatsoever. Japan is more similar to the USA than it is to China.

Although I live in China, I never advised people to do China on their own. Although I have taken 12-15 different week long holidays throughout Southeast Asia on our own as a family, I never claimed that those were 'easy' either. Therefore honestly, I feel wrongly accused of what you are suggesting. I was trying to be honest and helpful, given my somewhat unique perspective. Perhaps I'll keep my mouth shut.
Don't keep your mouth shut! We love hearing people's perspective. I'm sorry your post got misinterpreted, but please don't go away because of it!

Sayhello
Old 05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I'm just going by what Kevin told me when he checked dates for me. I was ready to hand over the Amex. I was frustrated too because the dates still showed available on the ABD website, but apparently they were full when he called. I'm sure Kevin would have taken my business if he could have. You are right that perhaps some are available in early June. I could not go before late June.
Were you looking for *any* European trip, or a particular one?

Sayhello
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #45
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

I would never turn away anyone that wanted to book and Adventure.

The Once Upon A Fairytale Adventure is booked solid for the summer, according to ABD.

There was a date that was listed as available, but when we tried to book it, it turned out to be a single spot and a double was needed.

ABD would usually not have an issue turning a single into a double, but adding two people would have put them over the maximum number of guests.

I can also tell you that the Alpine Magic Adventures are pretty well filled as well.

We found a one double space available and I booked it for a guest.

I do not believe all of the Adventures are completely sold, but there is limited availability on some of them.

Bella Italia, for example, had availability for several dates throughout the summer.

Again....I would never turn a guest away if I could help them find the Adventure and date they were trying to book.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: