Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
glnrcker
Mouseketeer

May 25, 2012 Innaugural NYC Sailing

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly:

We (Me, DH, DD(6), and DS(5))just returned from the first New York City sailing. Overall we had an excellent time!

Good: The Disney experience onboard is unmatched. Crew is great, Character experiences, fireworks, Castaway Cay, the beauty of the ship, Dreams show, not having to fly to the pier! Oceaneers Club & Lab that my kids never wanted to leave from when we arrived to pick them up. The HORN sounding at noon on sea days followed by the Captain's announcements. The food (although I enjoyed it more on our Magic cruise 2 years ago). The inexpensive hair braiding. The Disney movies in the theatre with popcorn. I'm sure there is plenty more that I'll remember later on.

The Bad: I will never sail on a sold out cruise again! Those 4 days at sea with SO MANY people gathered at the pools was awful. It was like a giant hot tub, even at the adult pool! Swimming was not an option at any pool! Yet in my opinion, no one else seemed to be bothered by this! People happily stuffed themselves and their children into the Goofy and Mickey pool.

At Castaway Cay, we made the mistake of going to the second stop family beach. This turned out to be a mistake as again everyone was packed together. It was only towards the end that we saw the first family beach had only about a third of the people.

Tropical Storm Beryl. Made us divert 200+ miles to avoid but we still had some rough seas. Nothing horrible but who would have thought there would have been a tropical storm in May?! The bridge did a great job though.

Losing propulsion on our last sea day. Again, the bridge did an excellent job and within two hours we were moving again. But it was an odd feeling when all of a sudden we were drifting in the middle of the ocean and black & white smoke coming from the stack.

Blue Lagoon Beach Day excursion. Would not recommend this at all! Again very crowded and we waited about an hour outside in the scorching sun (and I'm a sun worshipper) for the last boat back to the ship. There was no scheduled service so it was just standing around in a long line. Also none of the bouncers were included and the lunch was not good at all. Not really the paradise we expected. Plus, we kind of felt bad for the dolphins living there.

The Ugly: I hate to say it, but I have never seen so many obese people in my life!

Non handicapped people using the handicapped bathrooms as their own personal bathroom. Also, doing the same in the movie theatre with the handicapped seating.

Again, we had an amazing time and will probably sail with Disney again. These are just my own personal observations.

SORRY, JUST REALIZED I SPELLED INAUGURAL WRONG IN THE TITLE!!

Last edited by glnrcker; 06-02-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: TYPO
glnrcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

You didn't mention WDW, did you go?

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Thanks for your report! We've been waiting (not so patiently) to hear how the first NYC cruise went!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
lulubella1609
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glnrcker View Post

We (Me, DH, DD(6), and DS(5))just returned from the first New York City sailing. Overall we had an excellent time!

Good: The Disney experience onboard is unmatched. Crew is great, Character experiences, fireworks, Castaway Cay, the beauty of the ship, Dreams show, not having to fly to the pier! Oceaneers Club & Lab that my kids never wanted to leave from when we arrived to pick them up. The HORN sounding at noon on sea days followed by the Captain's announcements. The food (although I enjoyed it more on our Magic cruise 2 years ago). The inexpensive hair braiding. The Disney movies in the theatre with popcorn. I'm sure there is plenty more that I'll remember later on.

The Bad: I will never sail on a sold out cruise again! Those 4 days at sea with SO MANY people gathered at the pools was awful. It was like a giant hot tub, even at the adult pool! Swimming was not an option at any pool! Yet in my opinion, no one else seemed to be bothered by this! People happily stuffed themselves and their children into the Goofy and Mickey pool.

At Castaway Cay, we made the mistake of going to the second stop family beach. This turned out to be a mistake as again everyone was packed together. It was only towards the end that we saw the first family beach had only about a third of the people.

Tropical Storm Beryl. Made us divert 200+ miles to avoid but we still had some rough seas. Nothing horrible but who would have thought there would have been a tropical storm in May?! The bridge did a great job though.

Losing propulsion on our last sea day. Again, the bridge did an excellent job and within two hours we were moving again. But it was an odd feeling when all of a sudden we were drifting in the middle of the ocean and black & white smoke coming from the stack.

Blue Lagoon Beach Day excursion. Would not recommend this at all! Again very crowded and we waited about an hour outside in the scorching sun (and I'm a sun worshipper) for the last boat back to the ship. There was no scheduled service so it was just standing around in a long line. Also none of the bouncers were included and the lunch was not good at all. Not really the paradise we expected. Plus, we kind of felt bad for the dolphins living there.

The Ugly: I hate to say it, but I have never seen so many obese people in my life!

Non handicapped people using the handicapped bathrooms as their own personal bathroom. Also, doing the same in the movie theatre with the handicapped seating.

Again, we had an amazing time and will probably sail with Disney again. These are just my own personal observations.

Glad to know that because I'm obese I shouldn't be allowed to cruise.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulubella1609 View Post
Glad to know that because I'm obese I shouldn't be allowed to cruise.
Wow. Did I just read THE UGLY right? OP, I understand it's just your "own personal observations", and you never wrote obese people should never cruise, but to bold it as THE UGLY..... were there ugly looking people too or just the fat people are ugly? And why are obese people "the ugly"?

Do you just want to cruise with skinny people? I don't think that's what you meant. Like you posted about non handicapped people using the handicap restrooms and movie theater seating, you seem to have some sort of a tolerance guidline.

Except for fat people.

lulubella
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 06-03-2012 at 07:06 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Glad you experienced the Magic of Disney and that you were able to sail around the storm.

I heard that the ship was not to capacity and there were lots of empty tables at the second dinner in another cruisers account? Did you try to pools early or late? That is the tip I've read here so my daughter wants me to wake her up early and we'll only swim in the early morning or late night.

Also curious if you tried a WDW excursion?

Looking forward to hearing more details about your cruise.
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
lorimay
DIS Veteran

Why do people feel the need to judge other people based on their size?

I am so bothered by these comments. When I am on vacation with my family I am much too busy enjoying myself to watch what other people are eating or anything else they might be doing that doesn't concern me.

GESSH< PEOPLE MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS AND ENJOY YOUR VACATIONS!!!!!!!
lorimay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
kerri714
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I love how you apologize for spelling a word wrong, but don't care that you just insulted possibly anyone who is reading this thread, especially the "obese" people. Obviously, you don't have any weight issues(lucky you)...but as they say, Heavy people can lose weight...ugly people, inside or out will always be ugly. Maybe you can get in tough with Bethany Frankel...maybe she can add a Skinny Girl Cruise to her line of skinny girl cocktails for you so you can cruise again with out the "UGLY"ness of obese people.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
jmurg278
2x DCL cruiser

I really hope....

I really hope we don't have such negative people on the June 22nd cruise. I am really hoping that we have a "whole group" of positive people (No matter what they "Look" like) I enjoy reading the comments about the trip and activities, but I can definitely do without the negative comments about people and what they look like. Some people's beauty is from the inside.

Disney Magic (Out of N.Y.C.) June 22-30 2012
jmurg278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurg278 View Post
I really hope we don't have such negative people on the June 22nd cruise. I am really hoping that we have a "whole group" of positive people (No matter what they "Look" like) I enjoy reading the comments about the trip and activities, but I can definitely do without the negative comments about people and what they look like. Some people's beauty is from the inside.
Me too...Hoping for a positively magical June 22 cruise!
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder

Last edited by ksloane; 06-03-2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: original comment was meant for another thread
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
glnrcker
Mouseketeer

We did go to Disney World. Took the 7:15 shuttle to MK and then the 9:30 shuttle back from Epcot. It was organized well and took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to arrive at the MK. We were a little delayed because there was a serious accident and those that were on the 6:15 shuttle were stuck in traffic for a while.

I did not mention fat. I said obese, which is the technical term once passed overweight. I didn't say they shouldn't cruise. It is ugly that America has an obesity problem, and what's uglier is how many of these people are letting their children follow that path as well. There was a little girl at Castaway Cay (about 7 or 8 years old) hanging around the ice cream machine. We could see her from where we ate lunch. She had 4 cones and I was wondering where the adult supervision was. Finally her mother and sister came and they were also obese. Not fat, obese. It's just sad. Was not trying to be mean. It was my observation that America seems to have a problem that we don't seem to want to address.

I wasn't watching people. The little girl at the cone machine cut in front of my husband who was trying to make a cone for my son and then again later when he was getting one for my daughter and then himself. Believe me, I wasn't watching anyone eat. Some folks you couldn't help but see.

I don't think I'm perfect, nor need to be with just pretty people. This is an issue that obviously makes people upset, but in my opinion needs to be dealt with. Possibly the First Lady will have luck trying to teach children healthier eating options, because in some homes, it's just not happening. I used the phrase, the good, the bad, and the ugly, as the expression goes. Not saying the people were ugly, but the obesity problem is definitely ugly. Not looking to debate this any longer and I do consider myself to be a decent person.

Regarding the pools, it was best to use them either first thing in the morning or when the first seating people were getting ready for dinner.

When we arrived at the pier, it said that the ship was sold out and no upgrades were available. It is correct though that there were empty tables during second seating. Maybe those tables were not used or the families didn't attend, I'm not sure.
glnrcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When we arrived at the pier, it said that the ship was sold out and no upgrades were available. It is correct though that there were empty tables during second seating. Maybe those tables were not used or the families didn't attend, I'm not sure.
All the rooms can be taken, but not filled to their capacity. For example, the NV can hold up to 3 people, but if all the NV rooms only had 2 people, then there were additional "spots" available, but not rooms...

Correct me if I am wrong, but esp. during cruises that are right at the beginning or end of the school year, you may find far less kids (or on Panama or the TA cruise, where a student would have to miss 2 weeks of school). Those sailings could have all the rooms filled, but a majority only holding 2 people, would look like empty dining rooms, but no rooms available for upgrade...

Did I make any sense?

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings WE ARE ALMOST PLATINUM!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We did go to Disney World. Took the 7:15 shuttle to MK and then the 9:30 shuttle back from Epcot. It was organized well and took about 1 hour and 10 minutes to arrive at the MK. We were a little delayed because there was a serious accident and those that were on the 6:15 shuttle were stuck in traffic for a while.

I did not mention fat. I said obese, which is the technical term once passed overweight. I didn't say they shouldn't cruise. It is ugly that America has an obesity problem, and what's uglier is how many of these people are letting their children follow that path as well. There was a little girl at Castaway Cay (about 7 or 8 years old) hanging around the ice cream machine. We could see her from where we ate lunch. She had 4 cones and I was wondering where the adult supervision was. Finally her mother and sister came and they were also obese. Not fat, obese. It's just sad. Was not trying to be mean. It was my observation that America seems to have a problem that we don't seem to want to address.

I wasn't watching people. The little girl at the cone machine cut in front of my husband who was trying to make a cone for my son and then again later when he was getting one for my daughter and then himself. Believe me, I wasn't watching anyone eat. Some folks you couldn't help but see.

I don't think I'm perfect, nor need to be with just pretty people. This is an issue that obviously makes people upset, but in my opinion needs to be dealt with. Possibly the First Lady will have luck trying to teach children healthier eating options, because in some homes, it's just not happening. I used the phrase, the good, the bad, and the ugly, as the expression goes. Not saying the people were ugly, but the obesity problem is definitely ugly. Not looking to debate this any longer and I do consider myself to be a decent person.

Regarding the pools, it was best to use them either first thing in the morning or when the first seating people were getting ready for dinner.

Understand your point. I apologize. I had horrible eating habits as a child. I did not know any better. I married a man who does know. I'm thankful and I do watch what my kids eat and make sure their habits are much better and they are educated better then I was. It just came across a bit vile.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2PrincessesLinSy View Post
All the rooms can be taken, but not filled to their capacity. For example, the NV can hold up to 3 people, but if all the NV rooms only had 2 people, then there were additional "spots" available, but not rooms...

Correct me if I am wrong, but esp. during cruises that are right at the beginning or end of the school year, you may find far less kids (or on Panama or the TA cruise, where a student would have to miss 2 weeks of school). Those sailings could have all the rooms filled, but a majority only holding 2 people, would look like empty dining rooms, but no rooms available for upgrade...

Did I make any sense?
Yes, you made complete sense. We did the WBTA in 2010. There were no port upgrades available because the staterooms were sold out, but since there were < 300 children on board, the ship was not filled to capacity. BTW, on that cruise, all the adult areas (Quiet Cove pool/cafe, Palo reservations, Serenity Bay) were packed, and the family areas were a ghost town!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
Mom2PrincessesLinSy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandNessa View Post
Yes, you made complete sense. We did the WBTA in 2010. There were no port upgrades available because the staterooms were sold out, but since there were < 300 children on board, the ship was not filled to capacity. BTW, on that cruise, all the adult areas (Quiet Cove pool/cafe, Palo reservations, Serenity Bay) were packed, and the family areas were a ghost town!
sweet I love my kids, but if I could get a moment alone in the Mickey Pool.....

Multiple Disney Trips (both Pre-EPCOT and Post-EPCOT) as a child Wedding at WDW Wedding Pavillion/GF 10/99 Disneyland: 4 trips Disney World: 10 trips Disney Magic: 6 sailings Disney Wonder: 2 sailings WE ARE ALMOST PLATINUM!
Mom2PrincessesLinSy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: