Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #61
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Guess what I just bought at Best Buy?! Usually I talk to DH and get his rational engineering brain opinion on things like this before I impulsively buy them so I will see what he thinks when he gets home and won't open it until then. That way if thinks there is a better option I can return it. And if he likes it I won't have to wait until next weekend to go buy it since that would be the next chance I have to get over to Best Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanshark View Post
I saw this tread and began researching it. It looks really cool. I want to get one for both DH and me but I saw the FLEX version will be out soon. You can wear it on your wrist and it is waterproof. Any thoughts on the One vs Ultra VS flex?
I saw the bracelet one when I was looking at their site but I don't want anything that will be "visible". I want to slip it in my pocket so I can have it with me all day The waterproof would be nice but I haven't had any problem with my other one getting wet.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #62
Brownsfan317
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I went ahead and created a Fitbit group on the Fitbit site.

It is called DIS Friends.

Here is the link:

http://www.fitbit.com/group/22CL6G
Thank you for setting this up!

I am in!!

Caribbean Beach/Yacht Club June 2013
Port Orleans Riverside January 2013
All Star Sports/AKL September/October 2011
Port Orleans French Quarter July 2009
Old Key West November 2006

Multiple trips starting in 1986-stayed off site at "Irene's Steakhouse" aka Best Grandparents in the World's Home!
Brownsfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #63
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

ETA: THE COUPON WAS MISADVERTISED AND APPARENTLY WILL NOT WORK. I TOOK OUT THE LINK AND OTHER INFORMATION. SORRY!

I posted this on the other thread but wanted to put it here too:

For those thinking about it if you have a Mastercard and a Best Buy I found this coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase a little while ago:

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS

Last edited by lovetoscrap; 01-21-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #64
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

intrigued!

How useful would this be just to get me up & exercising?

I can't see myself using the food components, unless it is compatible with a low carb/Paleo diet. But I sure do need motivation in getting myself moving.

How small is it & how do you clip it to your bra without a lump showing under your shirt? or could you just put it in your pants pocket? About how big is it?

I have an iPhone 4 so it sounds like it won't work with that, correct?

How do I know if my iPad (I know, dumb question) is a 2 or a 3? Is there somewhere that you look & see?

I would love to find a motivational tool to get moving - it seems like people really like this. Even reading the Amazon reviews, it seems like EVERYONE is saying that they lost weight & every other person says it is "life changing". Wow!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #65
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap

For those thinking about it if you have a Mastercard and a Best Buy I found this coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase a little while ago: http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/...upon_final.pdf Lots of restrictions but looks like it could work. The Fitbit is $99.99 so you will need to also buy a pack of gum!

Of course this is AFTER I bought mine. We debated returning it and then rebuying it but that would be such a pain we have decided to just not worry about it.
Nice!
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #66
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Daisy View Post
intrigued!

I can't see myself using the food components, unless it is compatible with a low carb/Paleo diet. But I sure do need motivation in getting myself moving.

How small is it & how do you clip it to your bra without a lump showing under your shirt? or could you just put it in your pants pocket? About how big is it?

How do I know if my iPad (I know, dumb question) is a 2 or a 3? Is there somewhere that you look & see?

I would love to find a motivational tool to get moving - it seems like people really like this. Even reading the Amazon reviews, it seems like EVERYONE is saying that they lost weight & every other person says it is "life changing". Wow!

Answered one of my own questions I have an iPad 3
Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #67
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

Quote:
intrigued!

I think it's VERY useful in getting you up and moving, if you pay attention to it. I've talked some people at work into getting one and we started a FitBit group, but I'm the only one who seems to wear it every day (and night!) and actually sync it. So it depends on how motivated you are. I like having a goal and meeting it, so it works great for me. I find myself going up and down stairs during "breaks" at work and pacing around my office when I'm on the phone versus sitting still. It's just about getting up and getting moving and I think it motivates me a great deal. I just got off the treadmill to hit my 10,000 steps for the day, and I'll have to go up and down my stairs twice more today to hit my stair climbing goal. I certainly have become much more active since I've had it.

It's small and it doesn't show when I clip it to my bra but another lady from work says she can see the bump from it on hers (I didn't look - lol). You could clip it in your pocket easily but I think I'd be worried about losing it (which happens quite often!).

As for the phone, you'll have to have an iPhone 4S or 5 or a 3rd generation (or later) iPad. And how to tell if an iPad is a 2nd or 3rd gen, I have no idea. I just know that if it's got a camera, it's at least a 2nd and if it has that weird charger, it's a 4th.

I can say that if I really wanted to lose weight with this (which I eventually do), this tool would make it SO much easier. You see what you eat and what you burn and it gives you quick and easy access to that information. And is it life changing? Actually, it could be, if I stay this on track with it. I'm on 21 solid days of it and I'm still obsessed.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #68
Brownsfan317
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post

For those thinking about it if you have a Mastercard and a Best Buy I found this coupon for $50 off a $100 purchase a little while ago: http://image.emailinfo2.bestbuy.com/...upon_final.pdf Lots of restrictions but looks like it could work. The Fitbit is $99.99 so you will need to also buy a pack of gum!

Of course this is AFTER I bought mine. We debated returning it and then rebuying it but that would be such a pain we have decided to just not worry about it.

UGH! Just found this online! I was hoping to use it tomorrow!

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Bu...hread-id/84766

Caribbean Beach/Yacht Club June 2013
Port Orleans Riverside January 2013
All Star Sports/AKL September/October 2011
Port Orleans French Quarter July 2009
Old Key West November 2006

Multiple trips starting in 1986-stayed off site at "Irene's Steakhouse" aka Best Grandparents in the World's Home!
Brownsfan317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #69
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post

Thanks for the coupon! I'm thinking about getting one and the coupon helps!

I have a really nice pedometer on my i-pod. It's accurate and tracks days, weeks, months, tells calories burned, and has some other nice features. It doesn't sync with anything. It sounds like good (and more) information to look at the landscape of what you are doing and how it all comes together.

Thinking about it.

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #70
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Looked at my e-mail and I just got one from Fitbit congratulating me on walking my first 50 miles (since Christmas.)

I think WDWBarb is right. It is very motivating, if you use the tools it comes with.

However, I have been trying just about every exercise program known to man over the past 20 years. They have all been monotonous and boring and I did not stick with them.

This is more a life style change in just adding little bits of exercise here and there to give you a more active lifestyle. I mentioned it up thread, but at least for me, it motivates me to keep moving. Waiting for the Kuerig to finish, I don't just stand there and watch it. I will go do a couple of laps around the island.

I will go up and down our staircase a few extra times a day.

It all adds up.

Today, going to the Doctor, I actually took the stairs to the third floor and I was amazed I was not slightly winded. I would have been before.

So, no grueling exercise program to stop what you are doing and force yourself to go do. Just baby steps in adding little bits of activity to your daily life that add up. You can add more and more and more as you get more and more fit.

I keep the dongle on my laptop, so it syncs automatically everytime I sit down in front of my computer. I don't have to think about syncing it. I keep the fitbit tab open, so I just go and refresh my dashboard to see where I am at.

I have never, ever in my 50 years of life been successful in motivating a more active lifestyle till I got this thing. I have to say, I have become quite addicted to it.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #71
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsfan317 View Post
UGH! Just found this online! I was hoping to use it tomorrow!

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Best-Bu...hread-id/84766
Bummer. I knew it sounded too good to be true! Now I don't feel so bad that I didn't try to return it and use the coupon.

I will edit my post.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #72
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I think it's VERY useful in getting you up and moving, if you pay attention to it. I've talked some people at work into getting one and we started a FitBit group, but I'm the only one who seems to wear it every day (and night!) and actually sync it. So it depends on how motivated you are. I like having a goal and meeting it, so it works great for me. I find myself going up and down stairs during "breaks" at work and pacing around my office when I'm on the phone versus sitting still. It's just about getting up and getting moving and I think it motivates me a great deal. I just got off the treadmill to hit my 10,000 steps for the day, and I'll have to go up and down my stairs twice more today to hit my stair climbing goal. I certainly have become much more active since I've had it.

It's small and it doesn't show when I clip it to my bra but another lady from work says she can see the bump from it on hers (I didn't look - lol). You could clip it in your pocket easily but I think I'd be worried about losing it (which happens quite often!).

As for the phone, you'll have to have an iPhone 4S or 5 or a 3rd generation (or later) iPad. And how to tell if an iPad is a 2nd or 3rd gen, I have no idea. I just know that if it's got a camera, it's at least a 2nd and if it has that weird charger, it's a 4th.

I can say that if I really wanted to lose weight with this (which I eventually do), this tool would make it SO much easier. You see what you eat and what you burn and it gives you quick and easy access to that information. And is it life changing? Actually, it could be, if I stay this on track with it. I'm on 21 solid days of it and I'm still obsessed.

Thanks - very informative! That helps a lot. 21 days & still motivated - I like the sound of that!

I found the box, I have an iPad 3, so I think I am good to go with that.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #73
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrhpd View Post
I think WDWBarb is right. It is very motivating, if you use the tools it comes with.

However, I have been trying just about every exercise program known to man over the past 20 years. They have all been monotonous and boring and I did not stick with them.

This is more a life style change in just adding little bits of exercise here and there to give you a more active lifestyle. I mentioned it up thread, but at least for me, it motivates me to keep moving. Waiting for the Kuerig to finish, I don't just stand there and watch it. I will go do a couple of laps around the island.

I will go up and down our staircase a few extra times a day.

It all adds up.

Today, going to the Doctor, I actually took the stairs to the third floor and I was amazed I was not slightly winded. I would have been before.

So, no grueling exercise program to stop what you are doing and force yourself to go do. Just baby steps in adding little bits of activity to your daily life that add up. You can add more and more and more as you get more and more fit.

I keep the dongle on my laptop, so it syncs automatically everytime I sit down in front of my computer. I don't have to think about syncing it. I keep the fitbit tab open, so I just go and refresh my dashboard to see where I am at.

I have never, ever in my 50 years of life been successful in motivating a more active lifestyle till I got this thing. I have to say, I have become quite addicted to it.

Lifestyle change! Those are really the key words. that is what I am looking for, not a quick fix or an exercise program, but a change that is a way of life

That is exactly what I did when I switched to Paleo/Low Carb eating. Not a diet - a different way of living & now that you can subtract double digits from my clothes size I think I need to get myself in that same kind of mindset when it comes to "exercise".

BIG QUESTION NOW: what one do I get? I want as small as possible. But I might use the sleep function. I do need to get my sleep under control, as I don't get enough & I know that is bad.

The Fitbit One? Is that the best bet? Where do you wear that one? It looks bigger & I don't see a clip or a way to attach it to yourself.

Thanks. All help & answers are REALLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #74
lovetoscrap
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Lifestyle change! Those are really the key words. that is what I am looking for, not a quick fix or an exercise program, but a change that is a way of life

That is exactly what I did when I switched to Paleo/Low Carb eating. Not a diet - a different way of living & now that you can subtract double digits from my clothes size I think I need to get myself in that same kind of mindset when it comes to "exercise".

BIG QUESTION NOW: what one do I get? I want as small as possible. But I might use the sleep function. I do need to get my sleep under control, as I don't get enough & I know that is bad.

The Fitbit One? Is that the best bet? Where do you wear that one? It looks bigger & I don't see a clip or a way to attach it to yourself.

I bought the One today. It is about the size of a Flash drive, in fact smaller than most of the ones I have-- it is pretty tiny. It comes with a holder and clip and you can clip it inside your pocket with the device actually in the pocket. I really wanted to also be able to wear it at night and while I probably won't do that on a regular basis for a few weeks I want to see what it says.

As for wearing it in your bra and if it would show I think that all depends on how you are built and what type of bra you wear. I don't think anyone would have any idea if I put it there but I like to check my pedometer frequently and that could get awkward really fast at work!!!

You can use My Fitness Pal to log your food if you want and it will "sync" with the Fitbit. I just set that up. I haven't used MFP in a very long time. I eat low carb, high protein so I just went in and changed the ratios that it has for carb/protein/fat and will see if that works for me.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 PM   #75
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have the Fitbit one. It comes with a small rubbery casing that has a strong clip on the back of it. I slide it onto the front of my bra between the cups. Some people I know wear theirs on the side of their bra under their armpit. Another person I know just slips it into her pant's pocket each day.

In the case with the clip, it is 2.25 inches long and 7/8 of an inch wide at the bottom (flares a bit out), so quite small.

Congrats on the weight loss!!!
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: