Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
anmickey
Earning My Ears

Where to stay?? Poly, POR, WL, CR?

We are frequent Disneyland visitors but have foregone our annual passes this year so we can go on our first trip to Disneyworld! I am overwhelmed by all the options! We are a family of four, two boys, ages 10 and 3. We are debating over which resort to stay at. Pretty certain it needs to be a Disney resort but we are trying to determine which one to stay at. Our first choice was Poly but after adding up the cost (and the fact it will be under construction) we are looking at other options. We are planning to go for 8 days/7 nights. Originally the plan was to go during my DS spring break in April but after looking at the huge price difference we are thinking it may be better to take him out of school and go in February.

I am having a very difficult time deciding where to stay! Cost is definitely an issue but the transportation options have me leaning toward a deluxe resort. I really like the idea of being able to hop on the monorail (and I don't have to break down the stroller at Disneyworld?) and just head back to our room. Usually we like to be within walking distance of the parks and just walk but it seems like at Disneyworld that isn't really an option. So I guess my main question is this. At the Moderate (particularly POR) is it really that big a deal to take the bus? It seems like it would be very inconvenient but maybe not. If so, would WL be better with the ferry? Or would I be best off just sucking it up paying the extra 1k+ and having access to the monorail? I'm guessing we will spend the most time at MK. I don't really like the looks of the contemporary but am swayed by the ability to walk into the park.

Thanks for help. I'm sure I will have many more questions as my planning continues!
anmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
smiths02
DIS Veteran

The only moderate we have stayed at was CBR. We have also stayed at AKL which is the only deluxe with all bus transportation. We had no issues with the buses (other than the minor inconvenience of folding down a stroller). We did drive between resorts (if we were eating at another resort), but always took the buses to the parks. For $1000, you could get many cab rides for any resort meals you might have

Deluxes are beautiful and fun to stay at though.

Is this a once in a lifetime kind of trip for your family? If it were a once in a lifetime, I would probably splurge. If you might come back in a couple of years, I would just do a moderate and save the $1000 for something else.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Been there done that.... When our children were young, only options back then were either the Poly or CR.... we chose the CR, back then, with the huge game room and 24 hour Fiesta Fun Center, it was a hit.... many stay the in the late 70's thru the 80's...

Thru the years and many stays across the board of deluxes, we settled on the WL as being the best of both worlds ...location and price...we are MK fans and spend more time in that park than any other...

But as time wore on, and deluxe prices keep rising, discounts small...we moved on....we've settled at POFQ for the last 3 trips and will be there again this October....staying longer at a deluxe, even the WL, just became to expensive to justify...

POFQ, is like the WL...very compact resort, decent theme.. great food court and appointed quite well at a preferable price...

We bus and use Disney transportation exclusively and buses from there have been top notch... Enjoy the travel bit... ( POR, has 4 bus stops so you can judge the size and scope of that resort)....POFQ has on bus stop...

It may not be as grand and lush as a deluxe but its all in the eyes of the beholder and for us... we've done 46 trips to WDW deluxe and 3 moderate and we're enjoying the mods quite well..same the money, tack on a couple of more days and relax ...

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
justjoannj
Earning My Ears

$1000! Yikes. Save it and stay at the CBR. The boys will LOVE the pirate theme pools. I stayed there a few years ago with my grandsons aged 4 and 2 at the time and had a blast. I have been back to WDW twice with them and we drove down. The first time we took the bus transportation to the parks and the second time we used our car and drove and I can say without hesitation that driving to the parks is the way to go. Since you are staying on property the parking is free by the time you wait at the bus stop for a bus and get to the park you would already be there if you drove.

Also, be prepared...WDW is nothing like Disneyland. I have been to both and was shocked at how spread out WDW is compare to DL. But, you will love it. Have a great time.

I have been to WDW 13 times and am going again next week with my sister and niece. Staying at French Quarter.
1988-Grand Floridian, 1990-Grand Floridian, 1992-Disney Inn, 1994-Old Key West, 1995-Wilderness Lodge & Vero Beach, 1998-Port Orleans Riverside, 2002-All Star Music, 2004-All Star Sports, 2006-Pop Century, 2007-Pop Century, 2009-off property, 2009-Caribbean Beach, 2011-Pop Century, 2013-Port Orleans French Quarter, 2014-Disney Dream
justjoannj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
anmickey
Earning My Ears

Wow! Thank you so much for all the quick input! You guys really have me leaning toward a moderate.

I would not say this is a once in a lifetime trip, however we will probably not go back for at least 3-5 years. It is my family's first BIG vacation and first trip out of California (as far as my older son can remember, anyway). We don't want to be super budget conscious and don't like to nickel and dime everything on vacation, but also its a large chunk of change difference between the two options (POR rack rate is $162 vs Poly at $422) and the biggest determining factor for us is the convenience. For those familiar with Disneyland when we stay on site its at Paradise Pier which is the most budget friendly Disney hotel and I feel its perfectly adequate for us. At this point I'm leaning towards cutting out altogether the monorail deluxe's. How do you all feel about Wilderness Lodge? Its a little over a $100 more a night than the moderate compared to $250 more for the Poly which would make it more of a compromise between the two. Worth it or no?

As for transportation we were not planning to rent a car. We're planning to stay within Disney World the entire trip and I didn't see a need for one. Now I'm starting to question that. Are the cabs easy to get? If there's a long line of them and we can just grab one at our convenience that'd definitely be a determining factor, as well.

I'm not really sure if we'll be going back to the room during the day. At Disneyland we do because its easy and we like to get an hour or two break in the afternoon, but considering the parks won't be open as long (and we also will be on Pacific time which may make it difficult for us to get there at opening) we may just end up spending most the day in the park. My youngest will be 3.5 and can catch a quick nap in the stroller.

I'm definitely discovering that there's a "world" of difference between DL and DW. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the planning and I haven't even gotten into the nitty gritty of where to eat/reservations, and which park to visit which day. But I'm very excited!
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
Princess Katherine
The Yeti's Girlfriend

I would choose CR, you can walk to MK or take the monorail!

Katie
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Krobo1211
Earning My Ears

I would go with WL. It's kinda the best of both worlds. When MK was letting out and there were 129084097239047 people trying to leave... my husband and I and 2 kids walked over to a boat dock with about 4 people in it, hopped the ferry and was at our room within 15 minutes of the fireworks. Price wasn't hateful- and with not having to battle all those people it is totally worth it for us to spend the little extra for the WL.

Have a great trip!!
Krobo1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

So my choice would be Wilderness lodge. For all the convenience of the Contemporary, i simply think it's ugly. I just can't spend 1000's of bucks in a resort I don't like. I've never done a mod so I can't speak to that. WL is the least expensive of the deluxes and my sons loved the boat ride to the MK. They loved the bunk beds also.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Hello! We are fellow Disneyland lovers who make occasional trips to the "World". You will be absolutely amazed at the size of everything at Disney World. Things are so spread out that you can travel for quite some time on a Disney bus at freeway speeds and stay on Disney property. It is definitely different than walking from any Disney resort like in CA.

First of all we highly recommend staying on site at Disney. Getting to spend the whole vacation inside the Disney bubble is awesome, and they do a great job with theming and the little extras that let you know you are still at Disney, just like you've seen in CA, but there it is saving you from a longer commute into and out of "Disney".

We particularly love WL. If you're familiar with the Grand Californian it is styled very similarly and designed by the same architect. It is classified as a deluxe hotel, but it is one of the least expensive ones. We also choose to book a standard view room, which saves even more yet allows us to stay at a great resort in a beautiful location for a more economical price. For transportation we do enjoy the boat to MK, although it takes slightly longer than the bus which is also an option from WL. WL has buses to every park as well, which the monorail resorts usually do not. To access the monorail, you can take a short boat ride over to the Contemporary and hop on the monorail there. Unlike in CA, the Monorails really do cover quite a lot of distance in WDW. We like taking the monorail to Epcot, but again, the bus option is usually quicker.

Our personal choice is to not pay the extra for Poly or the Contemporary, but we have been able to justify the upgrade cost from the moderates so far. The moderates, particularly POR and POFQ seem very nice and have a similar rural feel to WL, but you will have outside hallways and generally a longer walk to your room. WL is all under one roof, which is great in rainy weather. Either way, happy planning and enjoy your trip!
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
anmickey
Earning My Ears

Thank you all! I'm pretty well convinced to stay at WL. It is a bit more expensive than the moderates but not staggeringly so. After seeing your opinions I feel that smaller extra cost is justified and it seems like a perfect middle ground.

GrandCalifornian- your comments were extremely helpful. We have never stayed at the Grand Californian but have walked through there numerous times and eaten there. It is an absolutely gorgeous hotel. I always found the monorail at DL to be a bit of a waste of time and rather cumbersome with having to fold up the stroller and all. Sounds like the one at DW will be the much more convenient. At DL we do a ton of park hopping, so sounds like that won't really be as easy an option for us at DW. However, since its all new we will also spend a lot more time exploring everything, instead of just hopping on our favorites like we usually do at DL. Would you compare DHS to DCA?

Looks like you're fast coming up on your trip. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
Hello! We are fellow Disneyland lovers who make occasional trips to the "World". You will be absolutely amazed at the size of everything at Disney World. Things are so spread out that you can travel for quite some time on a Disney bus at freeway speeds and stay on Disney property. It is definitely different than walking from any Disney resort like in CA.

First of all we highly recommend staying on site at Disney. Getting to spend the whole vacation inside the Disney bubble is awesome, and they do a great job with theming and the little extras that let you know you are still at Disney, just like you've seen in CA, but there it is saving you from a longer commute into and out of "Disney".

We particularly love WL. If you're familiar with the Grand Californian it is styled very similarly and designed by the same architect. It is classified as a deluxe hotel, but it is one of the least expensive ones. We also choose to book a standard view room, which saves even more yet allows us to stay at a great resort in a beautiful location for a more economical price. For transportation we do enjoy the boat to MK, although it takes slightly longer than the bus which is also an option from WL. WL has buses to every park as well, which the monorail resorts usually do not. To access the monorail, you can take a short boat ride over to the Contemporary and hop on the monorail there. Unlike in CA, the Monorails really do cover quite a lot of distance in WDW. We like taking the monorail to Epcot, but again, the bus option is usually quicker.

Our personal choice is to not pay the extra for Poly or the Contemporary, but we have been able to justify the upgrade cost from the moderates so far. The moderates, particularly POR and POFQ seem very nice and have a similar rural feel to WL, but you will have outside hallways and generally a longer walk to your room. WL is all under one roof, which is great in rainy weather. Either way, happy planning and enjoy your trip!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Contemporary - it's simply the easiest for MK and EPCOT access plus it requires bus transport only for 2 parks. We love being so close to MK (our favorite park) and adore the themeing of the Contemporary.

Of course, you can't go wrong with any of the Deluxe Resorts - I'd stay at the resort that is the most appealing physically and in terms of proximity!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmickey
Thank you all! I'm pretty well convinced to stay at WL. It is a bit more expensive than the moderates but not staggeringly so. After seeing your opinions I feel that smaller extra cost is justified and it seems like a perfect middle ground.

GrandCalifornian- your comments were extremely helpful. We have never stayed at the Grand Californian but have walked through there numerous times and eaten there. It is an absolutely gorgeous hotel. I always found the monorail at DL to be a bit of a waste of time and rather cumbersome with having to fold up the stroller and all. Sounds like the one at DW will be the much more convenient. At DL we do a ton of park hopping, so sounds like that won't really be as easy an option for us at DW. However, since its all new we will also spend a lot more time exploring everything, instead of just hopping on our favorites like we usually do at DL. Would you compare DHS to DCA?

I love the atmosphere of the Poly and being on the monorail but the WL looks absolutely stunning. You can't go wrong with either!! We love taking the boat from MK to the Poly and you can do the same staying at WL.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise 2013. AKL stay and Western Caribbean Cruise for 2014.

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
alc571
DIS Veteran

Our choice would be POR. Our DS7 loves the resort - especially the boat to Downtown Disney (aka Lego store!) and the Pirate Cruise for the kids. Best $35 we spent! He also loved the water slide in the main pool, and the food in the CS area. It's nice that POR just finished renovations last year too - everything was super clean and in tip top shape.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmickey View Post

We find WL to be a great option. There is a great information thread about it on the DIS boards here. Stop over there and people can answer all kinds of resort questions for you.

We park hop a lot too, even at WDW. There is transportation available between the parks, it just takes a little bit of time. That's part of why you'll want to allow more than one day per park to really get to see and enjoy things. We felt we didn't get to see everything on our first trip, which was 7 nights.

Speaking of different parks, we had an interesting opinion of MK during our first visit. Because it was so similar to DL, but yet strangely different, it wasn't our favorite park. It just often felt like things were out of place, and many of the rides are similar to at DL (or sometimes not as good, as is the case with Pirates of the Caribbean). Now having been back we have come to enjoy MK more, but we definitely preferred spending time doing the things that we don't have in CA during our first trip. Epcot is awesome, especially the very authentic World Showcase. It does feel like you are in different countries. As for comparing DHS to CA Adventure, there are similarities, especially to the Hollywood Blvd. portion of CA adventure. There are almost identical rides to those in CA (like Toy Story Movie mania and Tower of Terror) but there are always other unique things too. Overall HS is our least favorite park, but there is plenty of nice stuff to see there. We also liked that you can actually walk from there to Epcot, which takes about 20 minutes (or there is a boat available too). To round out the parks, AK is really impressive to us, and unlike anything in CA.

Have a great time, and feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be there a week from tomorrow, so let me know if there's anything specific you'd like a picture of.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: