Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
peaches0313
Mouseketeer

GF Villa or GF Standard room? 1st trip

I have posted a few threads before regarding our 1st trip next September to WDW. At that time, our girls will be 3 and 5. We have pretty much decided on the GF after much debate/research. Now, ASSUMING we are able to secure a 1 bedroom villa by renting points, would you do that for a first trip or just book a standard room there through Disney?
peaches0313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
x5x5x5x5x5
Finally figured out how to do this...

Hi Peaches! I remember your earlier question - it's great that you were able to narrow it down. I may have mentioned this in the previous post - not sure - I think you will love a one bedroom villa. You can view the floorplans online and see that it's quite a bit different than a standard hotel room. We love the extra room and the washer / dryer that a 1br offers. Our daughter sleeps in the pull out sofa in the living room so we have privacy and can stay up later / watch movies / whatever without disturbing her. I guess the only downside is that once you've stayed in a 1br - it's kind of hard to go back to a standard room lol! What a great trip you will have!!
x5x5x5x5x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
peaches0313
Mouseketeer

X5- Thank you for your response and that is exactly the reason we were even considering renting points on our first visit (to get the extra space). We would love to be able to stay up later, hang out, have a couple drinks, whatever after the girls go to bed. After all, it is our vacation too! But, I am a little nervous about renting points for a first trip, and 2) I don't know if I am missing out on something doing it that way versus going through Disney? I likely won't know if I can get a villa until the 7 month mark as we will be using a broker (February 2014). Is it safe to wait until then to book a standard room (find out if we get the villa first) then book a standard room at the GF if we don't get the villa? Is it safe to wait until February to book a standard room? Really didn't want to do anything until then... thanks again!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
NicoleLarson
Mouseketeer

I think you will be more than fine to wait until the 7 month mark to book a room if the villa doesn't come through. I just toured the models and they are amazing! Pictures just don't do it justice. The good news is 1 beds are generally last to be booked so hopefully you can get one. And last I saw its only about 12% sold so you don't have a lot of owners to compete with...but that's now, who knows in 6 months. Bad news that's low point season for dvc members so you will be competing with a lot of non owners...just hope your broker is really on it at 8 am the day of.
NicoleLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

I own DVC and I would always choose a one bedroom over a standard hotel room unless you are planning to stay GF RPC. If you are considering that as your hotel standard option, I would pick RPC. Otherwise, I'd get the 1 bedroom.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
I own DVC and I would always choose a one bedroom over a standard hotel room unless you are planning to stay GF RPC. If you are considering that as your hotel standard option, I would pick RPC. Otherwise, I'd get the 1 bedroom.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
peaches0313
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys! Nicole--I just looked at my calendar and my 7 month window opens on February 8th...a SATURDAY- ugh! Typical... so would brokers normally work then or would I have to wait until Monday at 8 am?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches0313 View Post
Thanks guys! Nicole--I just looked at my calendar and my 7 month window opens on February 8th...a SATURDAY- ugh! Typical... so would brokers normally work then or would I have to wait until Monday at 8 am?
I would contact them before the date. The broker does not make the reservation, they contact members on their list who make the reservation. Why not contact them at 11 months and they could try to line up a VGF member to make the reservation?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Like DebbieB said, the brokers are not making the reservation. They are just matching up owners who want to sell their points with someone who wants a DVC reservation. The broker should have a member in the deal before your seven month time frame. They might wait until closer than seven months in case they get a GFV owner who wants to sell their points

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
peaches0313
Mouseketeer

Thanks, renting points is still a bit confusing to me! But, I have been in contact with a broker, who is going to check at the 11 month mark (October 8th), but they told me more than likely we wouldn't find a GF owner who wanted to sell their points, and that likely we would find a villa for me at 7 months since all the DVC owners would open up... But so basically, since I am putting in my request with them soon, they will be looking all the time for me and may have someone in mind before February 8th? That sounds promising.. Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #11
peaches0313
Mouseketeer

P.S. I think I finally get it! So the broker may find a non-GF owner who knows they want to sell their points ahead of time, just can't do so until the 7 month mark legally?
Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
myzel
Mouseketeer

Well it's not a legal issue. As none home resort owners we can only book other resorts at the 7 month mark, outside our home resort we are unable to even see inventory before the 7 month mark. Hope this helps.
myzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I'd rent the points.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
P.S. I think I finally get it! So the broker may find a non-GF owner who knows they want to sell their points ahead of time, just can't do so until the 7 month mark legally?
Right, then the non-GF owner can book online or call at exactly 7 months. If you wait until the 7 month mark, it could take time to line someone up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: