Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #1216
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Aww Pattie, I am so glad you are back and ready for 2013! Your hair should grow back- usually by 6 months most women have the hair back. Princess is in 7.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 07-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #1217
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbondi View Post
Hi All!
I registered yesterday for the half marathon and booked my hotel (Port Orleans, Riverside). It's my first time and I am doing it alone! I am nervous (terrified actually) and so excited at the same time. Has anyone else ran/walked alone?
Hi and welcome !!

Congrats and you will NOT be the only one walked/running by yourself. I ran/walked Tinker Bell 1/2 by myself earlier this year and loved it. I usually do run with DH but he sat that one out and he will cheer me on for Princess.

This will be my first 1/2 at WDW and I'm also running by myself and I'm nervious too about the detail like the buses and getting to the race start. But running the actual race doesn't worry me at all.
Register to remove

Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #1218
saysay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All!
I registered yesterday for the half marathon and booked my hotel (Port Orleans, Riverside). It's my first time and I am doing it alone! I am nervous (terrified actually) and so excited at the same time. Has anyone else ran/walked alone?
I ran/walked in 2010, it was a BLAST! Did I mention I was injured too and forgot my camera battery? LOTS of people around you and many alone so its easy to find comraderie....and lots to keep you entertained along the way.

Totally fun and worth doing alone! Welcome, I might be at POR as well....still deciding.

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #1219
kbondi
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all of the reassurance about doing this alone. I am NOT a runner by any stretch of the imagination. My comfort zone is yoga and a nice stroll outside. This is going to push my limits physically and mentally/emotionally. I chose this race because my family and I are huge Disney fans! I thought there was nothing better than a trip to the Magic Kingdom to get me motivated!
Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1220
slp1650
Mouseketeer

I'm leaning pretty close to signing up for 2013... it's just me getting over my buyers hesitation right now. I'm running my first marathon 2 months before (WDW Marathon) and so that's also making me a bit nervous.

Still, I love the Princess Weekend and I've done it the past 2 years and so I really, really want to keep up the tradition!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #1221
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishmom View Post
Hi everyone! It's been a really long few months. After being all registered for the 2012 Princess (with hubby), a breast cancer diagnosis totally derailed me. I had bilateral mastectomies in mid-January, came to WDW to watch hubby and daughter-in-law run the Princess (I think I cried the whole time!), started chemo March 1, resumed running (sort of) around the beginning of June. The race folks deferred my 2012 registration to 2013, and hubby just registered yesterday. Now I'm so excited I can't stand it!! Hope to run a half at the Outer Banks in November, just to make sure I can still do it. Now the problem is two-fold: where to stay and how much can we afford. We LOVE the Polynesian but rented points to use at Animal Kingdom last February and really enjoyed it. How to decide..... I can't call WDW yet until we have some idea of budget and chemo brain makes this stuff even harder! Now if my hair would just grow back - I will need it to hold a tiara.

Pattie
Hey, Pattie - welcome back! Glad to hear you are back in action! Just get one of those big 'ol curly Merida wigs that they are selling at the Disney store!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #1222
brock20l
Earning My Ears

Anyone else staying at POFQ? - we haven't before, but dbf wants to depart from our go-to usual choice, Pop Century. Are we going to love it just as much as Pop?

and DBF do Disney!!

2011 Eastern Caribbean aboard the Magic
2009/2010 WDW New Years @ POP

Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #1223
kbondi
Earning My Ears

I love both side of Port Orleans! It is the smallest resort on Disney property but it's very cute and the pool is great (hopefully we will get some nice weather that weekend). I am staying on the Riverside and haven't been there since it was the old Dixie Landings. One thing that is nice about this resort is that it is not as far away from the parks as the Pop Century. It also has a food court, which is nice.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1224
poohs4me
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock20l
Anyone else staying at POFQ? - we haven't before, but dbf wants to depart from our go-to usual choice, Pop Century. Are we going to love it just as much as Pop?

This is where we stay for the Princess. I have never stayed At Pop, so I can't compare. I just made my reservation for POFQ for this Princess - now just to hope for discount rates.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #1225
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
Hi All!
Even though someone has always registered with me, I have done all of my half marathons alone. The first year (2009) I came down with a girl friend. She was slower than I was and didn't want to hold me back, so we just agreed on a place to meet at the finish and went on our way. Every other year I came with my DH. He is faster than I am and I didn't want to hold him back, so again, we just agreed on a meeting place. That being said, I never felt alone. I would chat with others in the corrals before the start, then if I saw someone on the course whose shirt or costume I really liked, I would compliment them on it. Once I saw Santa Claus, and since it was just after Christmas, I thanked him for my present! So, at Disney, even though you may be by yourself on the course, you're never alone!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #1226
Nishmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Hey, Pattie - welcome back! Glad to hear you are back in action! Just get one of those big 'ol curly Merida wigs that they are selling at the Disney store!

I always wanted to be a redhead!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #1227
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All!
I ran it this year for the first time and ran alone. This year I'm doing it with a friend. I still had such a blast doing it by myself. No worries. We will all be there too! Where in NJ are you? I'm in Point Pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishmom View Post
Hi everyone! It's been a really long few months. After being all registered for the 2012 Princess (with hubby), a breast cancer diagnosis totally derailed me. I had bilateral mastectomies in mid-January, came to WDW to watch hubby and daughter-in-law run the Princess (I think I cried the whole time!), started chemo March 1, resumed running (sort of) around the beginning of June. The race folks deferred my 2012 registration to 2013, and hubby just registered yesterday. Now I'm so excited I can't stand it!! Hope to run a half at the Outer Banks in November, just to make sure I can still do it. Now the problem is two-fold: where to stay and how much can we afford. We LOVE the Polynesian but rented points to use at Animal Kingdom last February and really enjoyed it. How to decide..... I can't call WDW yet until we have some idea of budget and chemo brain makes this stuff even harder! Now if my hair would just grow back - I will need it to hold a tiara.

Pattie
Pattie, so glad you are doing well. This year is your year! You truely are a Princess!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 07-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #1228
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock20l View Post
POFQ is our home away from home. We have stayed there 6 times and it will be 7 this december. I love that it is smaller and has only 1 bus stop. The pool is really nice and has a slide. WE have done POP once and although it was cool we didn't love it as much.

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #1229
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp1650 View Post
I'm leaning pretty close to signing up for 2013... it's just me getting over my buyers hesitation right now. I'm running my first marathon 2 months before (WDW Marathon) and so that's also making me a bit nervous.

Still, I love the Princess Weekend and I've done it the past 2 years and so I really, really want to keep up the tradition!
I'm doing Mickey too, first full marthon for me too. I'll be traveling solo for the full. Let me know if you want to meet up for either race!
Colleen
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 07-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #1230
kbondi
Earning My Ears

[QUOTE=ColleenG;45452911]I ran it this year for the first time and ran alone. This year I'm doing it with a friend. I still had such a blast doing it by myself. No worries. We will all be there too! Where in NJ are you? I'm in Point Pleasant.

I am in Princeton. Not too far from Point Pleasant! =) I asked a few friends to do it with me but they didn't think they could do the full 13.1 miles. Maybe next year?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: