Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #1036
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post

The "official" rule is that yes, you need to show something official as proof. Timed races are the only ones supposed to count.

If there is any "proof" you can show for this time, then I would bring it, or email it to Rundisney.

If you can sign up for a 10K on a timed course, then your problem is solved- just get a link to the online proof of what you ran, or a certificate from the run and you would be good. But if you can't do that, then I don't think it hurts to try to submit whatever you have as proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
I'll bet that if you go to the race website later today they will have results posted.
I SO live in the country! Not only is there no race website (much less a link to online proof of times), I was the only woman at the race in a running skirt. (I tried not to have junior high "I'm the only one wearing a skirt!" anxieties. Probably everyone thought I was a tennis player.) The timing set-up was like cross country meets when I was in high school... a long time ago. They pulled a tag off your race bib as you crossed, noted the times people crossed in order, and then posted the stickers with names in order on a wooden board and wrote the times on these.

In any case, thank you very much Longhorns2 and tinkeramy for all the good info. Now I know to look for a chip timed race... or just live with whatever corral I end up in. I'll be happy just to be there!
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 07-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #1037
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney
First 10K race today! 61 minutes, 4 seconds.

They didn't hand out any "official" race results - just announced your time as you crossed and then posted times with your number up on a board. Can I turn this in for corral placement, or do you have to have a certificate or something?
I'm not sure, but great job! That's an awesome time!
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #1038
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Great job Amy!! You & me both are chasing that sub 60!! We'll get it soon!!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1039
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I SO live in the country! Not only is there no race website (much less a link to online proof of times), I was the only woman at the race in a running skirt. (I tried not to have junior high "I'm the only one wearing a skirt!" anxieties. Probably everyone thought I was a tennis player.) The timing set-up was like cross country meets when I was in high school... a long time ago. They pulled a tag off your race bib as you crossed, noted the times people crossed in order, and then posted the stickers with names in order on a wooden board and wrote the times on these.

In any case, thank you very much Longhorns2 and tinkeramy for all the good info. Now I know to look for a chip timed race... or just live with whatever corral I end up in. I'll be happy just to be there!
I wonder if you could see if anyone took a picture of the board? They might take that since it is the race's official time.

So, DH and I had a long talk and he has been really being super supportive since I told him I felt he wasn't interested. Tonight we were watching the baseball game and there was an add for the 1st ever Big Ten Network 10K and he said "Let's Go to Chicago so you can do it!". Too bad we already have plans that weekend. I could go alone and I have friends there but I was excited he wanted to go with me.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #1040
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

^^^ I was thinking the same thing about seeing if there is a picture of the board or something that you can show as proof. I bet they would take it!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #1041
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow! Laid back! To me, the main advantage of submitting a time is that you have a cushion from the chance of getting swept. However, I've seen your times on DailyMile and you have no fear of that! I would still, however, enter this race on your registration - who knows? I often question if they verify race times for every single one of the thousands of people who put them down. It wouldn't be like you were lying - you ran it and that was your time. Wether they verify it or not is not your problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Great job Amy!! You & me both are chasing that sub 60!! We'll get it soon!!
Yes! Give me a cool day and a flatter course - we'll knock it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
So, DH and I had a long talk and he has been really being super supportive since I told him I felt he wasn't interested. Tonight we were watching the baseball game and there was an add for the 1st ever Big Ten Network 10K and he said "Let's Go to Chicago so you can do it!". Too bad we already have plans that weekend. I could go alone and I have friends there but I was excited he wanted to go with me.
It does make a huge difference. But even if there are princesses without support at home, know that you can always come here to get it! Sometimes non-runners just don't understand why certain things are a big deal.

Last training plan review up - Run Less, Run Faster.
http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...-less-run.html

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #1042
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Gal View Post
Fairy Godmother was w/ me today... Visited the runDisney booth @ the Peachtree Expo & guess what? I got to register for my 1st Princess 1/2!! They didn't have any other details but I'm excited to really be in now. Excited as in nervous, yikes, that's 13.1 miles! Oh no, what've I done?! Now, where did that Fairy Godmother go?

Gotta ask- when you registered, was Merida a choice for your Princess? Did you notice?

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 07-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #1043
happybaker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
First 10K race today! 61 minutes, 4 seconds.
Awesome time!

I did my first 10K Tuesday night down at Gillette Staduim and I didn't do as well as I hoped. Finished in 1:27:26. I walked almost all of mile 3, but I keep telling myself I finished In the end, it came out to almost an even 14 minute mile, so at least I'm above the Disney requirement.

Not much going on today at work, so I'm looking for a fall 10K because I know I can do better than Tuesday. I've done better on my training runs, so I'm determined now....or at least until I have to go outside in the heat and train LOL

Holly
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #1044
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

I'm excited for all of the information coming out next week! July 10, 11, and 12th are going to be fun
Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #1045
SoBelle874
Earning My Ears

Cannot wait!!!

I am so excited to hear about all of the details! This will be my 1st half marathon I have done the Autism Speaks Walk here in Tampa, FL twice and I did a breast cancer walk and I will be doing the Color Run this December..Oh and I did I mention I am getting married next Feb 10th 2013? Haha..It is going to be a busy yet very rewarding year and change. I am so glad to have all of you wonderful ladies here to talk to
Old 07-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #1046
moparop
DIS Veteran

Having a race related dilemma....

Some background: I have three kids, 8,6,&3 who are huge Disney fans and are itching to go. We go about every 18 months to 2 years. Our last trip as a family was Dec '08. They want our next trip to be a surprise.

Ok, so I have been planning on running the 2013 princess pretty much since I saw the video of the 2009 race. It was my "before I turn 40" thing to do. I will turn 40 July of 2013. We had decided that the trip to the Princess was going to be the next trip, the surprise trip. Now I am wondering if this is a good idea. With the expo, getting to bed early and wanting to take it easy prior to the race, we are going to lose a lot of touring time. If I am miserable after the race, the kids will lose even more park time. We could eat up a lot of our vacation with Mom and her race and the kids would probably not be back to Disney until late 2014 or 2015. Is that really fair to them? Conversely, I went to Disney with a friend in Oct. of 2011 and did not take the kids. If DH and I go do a half trip just the two of us, that would be two Disney trips for me and zero for them. I feel like I just can't win.

Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #1047
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparop View Post

Some background: I have three kids, 8,6,&3 who are huge Disney fans and are itching to go. We go about every 18 months to 2 years. Our last trip as a family was Dec '08. They want our next trip to be a surprise.

Ok, so I have been planning on running the 2013 princess pretty much since I saw the video of the 2009 race. It was my "before I turn 40" thing to do. I will turn 40 July of 2013. We had decided that the trip to the Princess was going to be the next trip, the surprise trip. Now I am wondering if this is a good idea. With the expo, getting to bed early and wanting to take it easy prior to the race, we are going to lose a lot of touring time. If I am miserable after the race, the kids will lose even more park time. We could eat up a lot of our vacation with Mom and her race and the kids would probably not be back to Disney until late 2014 or 2015. Is that really fair to them? Conversely, I went to Disney with a friend in Oct. of 2011 and did not take the kids. If DH and I go do a half trip just the two of us, that would be two Disney trips for me and zero for them. I feel like I just can't win.

Thoughts?
I think it is a little difficult to do with family. You will want to rest up some on Saturday and definitely get to bed early. I know that would be impossible with my 3. As far as Sunday goes after the race, it's actually best to get out and hit the parks. Keep moving so you don't stiffen up. That being said it would probably be an early night for you again since you got up so early that morning. It's a tough call!

Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #1048
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

I don't know anything about this book, but just noticed it was free on Amazon for Kindle, so might be worth a glance!
"Running for Beginners" by Simon Adams

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008B9G7WM/?tag=pwr1-20

Old 07-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #1049
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparop View Post

Thoughts?
We're going without the kids. We will only be there Friday to Monday, coming home Monday night. If they come along, I will not get enough sleep, DH will be stressed, they will not be keen on waiting around for me. All of us would be miserable. I feel a twinge of guilt, but this trip is for ME so they are staying at home. I'm going to tell them that Mommy is going to run a race at Disney and that Daddy is coming to cheer me on and we will bring them back a souvenir and lots of pictures and I'll tell Mickey they said "Hi!" They might be upset, but they'll get over it.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #1050
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Hi all! I haven't posted in about a week because I haven't been walking in that long. It is way too hot here in Florida for me to continue walking outside. There's a gym at my apartment complex, so I'm thinking of walking on the treadmill. How does training there compare to training outside?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: