Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #1021
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Good luck to all the July 4th race runners today! I'm heading out in a minute for my first ever 10K. A tiny bit nervous and wishing I had previewed the course.

Happy 4th of July!
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 AM   #1022
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

Good Luck on your runs today Princesses! I hope they are early or cool! (probably won't be both)

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #1023
moparop
DIS Veteran

How cool that you are already signed up for the Princess!

Good luck to everyone running today!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #1024
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Good luck to all the July 4th race runners today! I'm heading out in a minute for my first ever 10K. A tiny bit nervous and wishing I had previewed the course.

Happy 4th of July!
How exciting!! Good luck!!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #1025
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
stupid question, but there are characters along the race path, yeah? So are there photopass people? Or just rely on your own camera (i'm bringing my own anyways)

also another stupid question, where am I gonna store all my stuff like water and sunscreen and gatorade? what do you guys use?

ETA just ran my personal best!!!! 2.81 miles at 12:01 per mile. I'd happy dance right now but i don't want to scare people! (still at the park)
You can get a little fanny pack for your camera. I'm not carrying any water or Gatorade because they have water stations along the way. I had not even considered sunscreen!

Congrats on your 2.81!! That's a good pace!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #1026
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
There are a bazillion characters but no photopass. There is a private company called Brightroom that you can order photos from later. However, there is always a CM there that is happy to use your own camera. Also, Brightroom is not with every character. The shot in front of the castle, however, is only Brightroom, no CMs there to use your camera.

They do have bag check before the race (they give you a bag at bib pick-up) so you can retrieve your things afterward. Anything that you want to bring with you, I use the pocket in my running skirt as well as a Spibelt. I don't bring water / gatorade with me as they have plenty of aid stations along the route and they hand you one of each, I think after you go through the finisher's chute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
You can get a little fanny pack for your camera. I'm not carrying any water or Gatorade because they have water stations along the way. I had not even considered sunscreen!

Congrats on your 2.81!! That's a good pace!
Thanks guys! I didn't know how frequent the stops were so I was planning on bringing them, but now i won't!

That spibelt looks good, or i'll get something similar.

haha I always have to think about sunscreen. I closely resemble Merida from brave, but with straight red hair and not curly. It was a joke when we saw the movie last week. I carry a whole bottle of sunscreen in my purse at all times. i Don't want to turn into a lobster for you guys, although I do get red in the face when I run anyways. But at least that isn't permanent!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:32 PM   #1027
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

First 10K race today! 61 minutes, 4 seconds.

They didn't hand out any "official" race results - just announced your time as you crossed and then posted times with your number up on a board. Can I turn this in for corral placement, or do you have to have a certificate or something?
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 07-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #1028
FigmentMom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
We love CR! We stayed in the Garden Wing last time and it was wonderful. We just bought into DVC so I need to pick one of those so we can use our points!
We are considering staying at the CR, do only the buses run in the AM? Not so concerned about me, but DH is juggling the three kiddos and was hoping to be able to use the monorail to get to MK to see me run through the castle and to EPCOT for the finish line. Is that even possible?

Quote:

They didn't hand out any "official" race results - just announced your time as you crossed and then posted times with your number up on a board. Can I turn this in for corral placement, or do you have to have a certificate or something?
Awesome time!!!! I would love to have my 1st 10k be that fast!!
Old 07-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1029
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

WTG Rockstar!!!! That's a great time.

The "official" rule is that yes, you need to show something official as proof. Timed races are the only ones supposed to count.

BUT, I suspect they are pretty lenient on this. Here is why- I have a friend that submitted a proof of time for a race that she ran under my husbands bib number. Officially the link with the bib number showed my DH name, Rob. Clearly she wasn't Rob. But she sent in an email explaining that he couldn't run that day, so she did it instead. She also sent them a picture of her on the course wearing the bib. They took that as proof of time.

The next year she ran a half marathon relay. Her portion was the first half, and her time was pretty fast, so she wanted to use that as proof. Overall her relay came in around 2:15 I think. The official print out only had the relay team name- not the individual runner's name. It did show "runner 1- 29 yr old female- 6.32 miles- 64 min" The lady at the expo took this as proof, though she did laugh a bit.

If there is any "proof" you can show for this time, then I would bring it, or email it to Rundisney. The worst they can do is say NO, right? When you sign up I would list the time you finished in and the event. Maybe follow up later with a request to confirm they have approved your event info, or asking if they need additional info. I know one runner showed her Nike app at the expo with a 10K distance and they took that as proof.

If you can sign up for a 10K on a timed course, then your problem is solved- just get a link to the online proof of what you ran, or a certificate from the run and you would be good. But if you can't do that, then I don't think it hurts to try to submit whatever you have as proof.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #1030
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
Thanks guys! I didn't know how frequent the stops were so I was planning on bringing them, but now i won't!

That spibelt looks good, or i'll get something similar.

haha I always have to think about sunscreen. I closely resemble Merida from brave, but with straight red hair and not curly. It was a joke when we saw the movie last week. I carry a whole bottle of sunscreen in my purse at all times. i Don't want to turn into a lobster for you guys, although I do get red in the face when I run anyways. But at least that isn't permanent!
Florida in February isn't that hot/sunny - maybe more than where you live, but not like July. Plus, the race is over by 9-ish, before the sun gets very strong. So, maybe a good dousing before you start?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #1031
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'll bet that if you go to the race website later today they will have results posted. For Run Disney, there is a space on the reg form where you list the name of your race, the city, and your time. Disney takes it from there, no paperwork needed. If you are e-mailing your time later, same deal - I just told them the name, city and time of my race and they sent me a confirm e-mail back with no problems. So you don't have to turn in any kind of official paperwork from a race unless you are bringing your proof to the expo. Then, I think, you would need a screenshot of the results page.

Oh, ladies - the Peachtree was most definitely NOT my hour-breaker! In fact, I turned in my 2nd slowest time which was about 4:22 slower than last year's Peachtree! I ended up with 1:05:23. Went out too fast, as usual. But that's okay - it was still fun, and I know I will rock that hour on a cooler fall 10K! I am jealous, though, that I missed the people handing out beer at mile 3. If you're not going to PR, you might as well relax! Happy 4th!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 07-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #1032
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Gal View Post
Fairy Godmother was w/ me today... Visited the runDisney booth @ the Peachtree Expo & guess what? I got to register for my 1st Princess 1/2!! They didn't have any other details but I'm excited to really be in now. Excited as in nervous, yikes, that's 13.1 miles! Oh no, what've I done?! Now, where did that Fairy Godmother go?
That is so cool you got to sign up already. I can't wait to make it official

Quote:

Happy 4th of July!
Quote:

GREAT Time! I wish mine was even close to that! Great job

Quote:
Oh, ladies - the Peachtree was most definitely NOT my hour-breaker! In fact, I turned in my 2nd slowest time which was about 4:22 slower than last year's Peachtree! I ended up with 1:05:23. Went out too fast, as usual. But that's okay - it was still fun, and I know I will rock that hour on a cooler fall 10K! I am jealous, though, that I missed the people handing out beer at mile 3. If you're not going to PR, you might as well relax! Happy 4th!
Beer at Mile 3? How could you skip that? That does sound like a cool race! Wish it was closer to me!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1033
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
For what seems like forever, I've been running on the treadmill instead of outside because of time, kids, heat. I braved the 80 degree temps this morning (supposed to be 105 today) and ran a 5k route (smallish rolling hills). I guess the treadmill isn't so bad after all because to my surprise I went from a 14:04 m/m to a 13:35 m/m and I still felt really strong at the end. I will not badmouth the treadmill again. I wonder how I would have done in a cool 50 degrees.
CONGRATULATIONS! That's a great time - especially with heat and humidity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC State View Post
I'm slowly increasing my work out since my injury. Today I ran 4.56 miles in 1 hour!
Great job!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousmommy View Post
Ahhh! I've been slacking for the past two weeks! I've lost all motivation that I had! I haven't walked/ate healthy or wrote on my blog! It completely bums me out!!! I need some help! Ugh!
Ugh, I know exactly how you feel! I've been planning for the PHM since January but, a couple of weeks ago, wanted to scrap everything because I was so unmotivated. Who knows why -- perhaps the heat, hormones, busyness at work, my own slow progress...

I do know that my problems with fitness and eating have stemmed from the fact that I do let emotions rule my actions. I don't exercise if I don't feel like it. I do convince myself that I'm hungry when I'm really blue or bored.

But training for the PHM is my chance to stop all of that! I will get out of bed when the last thing in the world I want to do is to exercise. I won't let the heat defeat my progress. I won't let a bad day at work make me want to eat more. I won't let my slow progress discourage me.

Funny thing is...once I get going, those endorphins kick in I guess and my emotions even out. Then I'm glad I am doing this, with or without the PHM. Even in this crazy heat.

I hope the same for you. The PHM is a long way away and you'll have plenty of ups and downs in your motivation. The closer it gets, I suspect it will be much easier to stay motivated. By then, I'll be working at sheer panic level!

Quote:
I'll bet that if you go to the race website later today they will have results posted. For Run Disney, there is a space on the reg form where you list the name of your race, the city, and your time. Disney takes it from there, no paperwork needed. If you are e-mailing your time later, same deal - I just told them the name, city and time of my race and they sent me a confirm e-mail back with no problems. So you don't have to turn in any kind of official paperwork from a race unless you are bringing your proof to the expo. Then, I think, you would need a screenshot of the results page.

Amy, congratulations on even participating in this heat, even if you didn't have a PR. I used to spend the summers at my grandmother's house in north GA. We would watch the reports of the Peachtree - funny that it's more popular than ever almost 30 years later. Boy, I feel old!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #1034
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting

Tinker Amy!! You were real close!!! I Know a fall race will get you a sub 1 hr time!!!
It wasn't my best day and I suspect it was heat but as Amy stated it was one big street party plus the after race goodies hit the spot!! 1:19 will probably put me back in D, so I think I will do the gobble jog in November as my official 10k for time! Happy 4th ladies. Registration should be opening soon!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #1035
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Another reason to love this thread -- finding out that all of the resorts will be host resorts this year. Woo hoo!!! Even though I will have a car, I was still a bit hesitant about the whole driving/parking/getting out of the parking lot situation. Now I can let my bus driver worry about all of that.

I just joined a walking group that will be meeting on Monday nights. They'll have a lot of coaches who will help me with my form and pace - exciting! This walking group is sponsored by our local running club. I am trying to decide whether or not to join...they're sponsoring a series of races in the fall, 2 5Ks, 2 5-milers, 2 10Ks, 2 10-milers, and 2 halfs. Whew, that's a lot of walking! But it would be a wonderful opportunity to practice being in long-distance racing situations. I'd also have several chances to get a decent time in [decent by my walking-pace standards] for the PHM. Still thinking about it.

Happy Fourth of July to everyone! Saw this great quote on the facebook page of the aforementioned runner's club:

We can run for fun, relaxation, exercise, the ribbon at the end of the race because our soldiers run for their lives, and the lives of others. Happy Fourth of July - run safe.

Thank you, soldiers, and a double thank you to our princesses who are married to soldiers or who are soldiers themselves.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: