Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #961
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Does anyone knnow if they will give the details of the Family 5K on July 10th, with the details of the PHM? My family and I also plan to do the 5K. Yes, clearly I have jumped on the CRAZY TRAIN!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #962
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes View Post
Does anyone knnow if they will give the details of the Family 5K on July 10th, with the details of the PHM? My family and I also plan to do the 5K. Yes, clearly I have jumped on the CRAZY TRAIN!
You are not alone, my group is planning on the 5K & PHM also
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #963
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiedawn View Post
My running partner and I have been brainstorming for WEEKS about how we want to dress for the PHM. But I don't want to be a princess. Do people come dressed as other characters from Disney movies? Or is it mostly princesses and vilians?

Thanks y'all!
oh sure, people come dressed or "themed" as all kinds of things. One year, while spectating the WDW half I saw a runner in a head to toe Winnie the Pooh costume. The head part was just a hood, so his face was uncovered, but I couldn't believe he was running a half in that! I'm sure he was glad it happened to be freezing cold and sleeting that morning too...I imagine he stayed pretty toasty in that!

Speaking of that...temps are something to keep in mind! I know one year it was freezing cold for the PHM and then the next (the year I ran it) it was pretty darn hot for that time of year...hence the shorts and sleeveless shirt in my pic below! Make sure you leave yourself some options when designing your race day outfit! That year, I actually had a back up shirt that I made with indentical designs on it to wear if it was a little cooler with plans to wear a long sleeved tech shirt under that if it was really cold...then shorts, capris or tights for the bottom depending on the temps...prepared for anything = less stress on race morning!!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #964
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiedawn View Post
My running partner and I have been brainstorming for WEEKS about how we want to dress for the PHM. But I don't want to be a princess. Do people come dressed as other characters from Disney movies? Or is it mostly princesses and vilians?

Thanks y'all!
You will see EVERYTHING out there LOL! Some of the costumes are really cool! When I ran this year, aside from the gazillion tutus, I saw a bunch of Minnie Mouses, some fairies, a couple frogs, Woody and Jessie, I saw a Buzz Lightyear, lots of Tinks, etc.

My favorite was an aunt and her 2 nieces - she was dressed as Cruella, and her 2 nieces were dalmation puppies!! It was so stinkin cute!! Also saw a lady running in her bathrobe with curlers in her hair - I hope she dressed that way on purpose LOL!!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #965
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Two Princes View Post
I had wondered about it to keep moving but I think it might be way too much for me for 1 weekend. It does sounds fun though!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #966
brookiedawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
You will see EVERYTHING out there LOL! Some of the costumes are really cool! When I ran this year, aside from the gazillion tutus, I saw a bunch of Minnie Mouses, some fairies, a couple frogs, Woody and Jessie, I saw a Buzz Lightyear, lots of Tinks, etc.

My favorite was an aunt and her 2 nieces - she was dressed as Cruella, and her 2 nieces were dalmation puppies!! It was so stinkin cute!! Also saw a lady running in her bathrobe with curlers in her hair - I hope she dressed that way on purpose LOL!!
Thanks for the input y'all! I feel a lot better about our choice of costume now. And no, I'm not telling. It's surprise! You'll have to find us!

And also, we Jeff Galloway-ed our way through 7.2 miles last night.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #967
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
oh sure, people come dressed or "themed" as all kinds of things.
Speaking of that...temps are something to keep in mind! I know one year it was freezing cold for the PHM and then the next (the year I ran it) it was pretty darn hot for that time of year...hence the shorts and sleeveless shirt in my pic below! Make sure you leave yourself some options when designing your race day outfit! That year, I actually had a back up shirt that I made with indentical designs on it to wear if it was a little cooler with plans to wear a long sleeved tech shirt under that if it was really cold...then shorts, capris or tights for the bottom depending on the temps...prepared for anything = less stress on race morning!!
There were tons of cute costumes, even a group of girls all dressed as the little alien guys from Toy Story! I went with Tinkerbell the last two years but might need to actually be a Princess this year.

And, yes, be prepared! For some crazy reason, I only brought warm weather clothing this past year. It was quite chilly at the start and after I cooled down at the finish. Some throwaway clothes at the start line are a good idea, but check the forecast the night before to decide on bag check. When we finished, there was a light mist and it was cold and windy - REALLY wishing I had packed some kind of windbreaker at the very least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happybaker View Post
Amy,

I'm glad to hear your friend will be moved soon. I can't imagine how scary that must have been to hear for you. I will keep you both in my thoughts/prayers.

Good luck on breaking the hour on your 10K! I have my first 10K on Tuesday and I'll be happy to break 80 minutes.

Holly

PS: I've been enjoying your blog
Thanks - to everything! I have been chasing this goal of breaking an hour for 2 years now, but I'm thinking 103 temps on July 4th might make me have to wait a little bit longer!

Reviewed the Coach Jenny / John Bingham plan "Running For Mortals" on the blog today! http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...nning-for.html

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #968
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post

Reviewed the Coach Jenny / John Bingham plan "Running For Mortals" on the blog today! http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...nning-for.html
I'm enjoying your training plan reviews and looking forward to the Train Like a Mother plan post.

Good luck in the Peachtree! I can't imagine running in that heat. Hoping to complete my first 10K here in Maine on July 4.... work has been interfering with my running schedule, so I'm way off of any prep plan. Hoping I can still make 6 miles.
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #969
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I'm enjoying your training plan reviews and looking forward to the Train Like a Mother plan post.

Good luck in the Peachtree! I can't imagine running in that heat. Hoping to complete my first 10K here in Maine on July 4.... work has been interfering with my running schedule, so I'm way off of any prep plan. Hoping I can still make 6 miles.
I have used Train like a Mother for a 5k and am using it for the half marathon. I like the different types of runs they have for each week and the opportunity to switch out runs for cross training.

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
Old 06-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #970
Carrieloew
Earning My Ears

Hi All! Thinking about doing the PHM in february. Are the parks really crazy then? How is the race? Any advice for this run? Thanks. Looking for some details from experienced mommy runners before I sign up! Thanks
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #971
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Parks are GREAT Sunday-Wed after the race IMO. The days leading up to the race, it's pretty busy. Presidents weekend- winter break for the north, so a lot of families are there. But by Sunday it thins out and is really really awesome crowd wise. I'd stay all week if I could, but was only able to pull off until Wed last year.

Tips for the race: don't take it too seriously! It's fun! It's Disney! Take your training seriously, but trust the training and on the big day enjoy the course. It's pretty and neat and has a lot of photo ops. Course is also relatively flat, which is nice. Temps have been all over the map in recent years- very very very cold one year, pretty darn hot the next, just right last year. So pack for every possibility.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #972
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrieloew View Post
Hi All! Thinking about doing the PHM in february. Are the parks really crazy then? How is the race? Any advice for this run? Thanks. Looking for some details from experienced mommy runners before I sign up! Thanks
The parks are crowded the week before the race, but if you get up early you really should be okay. People are on vacation and they don't like to get up. Last year we got in Thursday night, and we got to the MK Friday morning a little bit after the park opened. We did everything we wanted by lunchtime when the crowds really started to swell. That's when we headed over to the expo to pick up our shirt and race #s.

I agree with Longhorns - so much fun. I definitely don't do this one for time, because the pictures with characters are what makes it great! It's very laid back and there is lots of encouragement from fellow runners.

Pictures here: http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...race-baby.html

Join us!

Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #973
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Hi Amy (tinker that is). I was just checking out your blog. Did you have purple Zensahs on? Or were they a different brand of compression sleeve? I think I am going to go as Rapunzel for the PHM 2013 and could use purple.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 07-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #974
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

For what seems like forever, I've been running on the treadmill instead of outside because of time, kids, heat. I braved the 80 degree temps this morning (supposed to be 105 today) and ran a 5k route (smallish rolling hills). I guess the treadmill isn't so bad after all because to my surprise I went from a 14:04 m/m to a 13:35 m/m and I still felt really strong at the end. I will not badmouth the treadmill again. I wonder how I would have done in a cool 50 degrees.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 07-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #975
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Hi Amy (tinker that is). I was just checking out your blog. Did you have purple Zensahs on? Or were they a different brand of compression sleeve? I think I am going to go as Rapunzel for the PHM 2013 and could use purple.
Yup! I only have one, b/c I only had the one shin / calf bother me. I think I got them from runningwarehouse.com when they were having a sale.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: