Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #946
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Y'all, I'm kind of a mess right now, but I really want to encourage any older princesses (and I am in that category, as much as I hate to admit, 42 is "older" when considering athletics) to get a full physical before or shortly after you get started. One of my oldest friends just had a mild - med. heart attack at age 46. Her prognosis is good, and I don't have all the details, but she is just a tad overweight and she has been playing 2-3 hour tennis matches plus is on an adult swim team that has just wrapped up. I'll have no idea until I visit her tomorrow if she can think of any signs, in hindsight, but I just really want all you princesses - in - training to take good care of yourselves and get yourselves checked out fully - especially DO NOT push yourself in this heat! We need all the princesses we can get!!! Send up prayers / thoughts / vibes for my friend, will ya?

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 06-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #947
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Y'all, I'm kind of a mess right now, but I really want to encourage any older princesses (and I am in that category, as much as I hate to admit, 42 is "older" when considering athletics) to get a full physical before or shortly after you get started. One of my oldest friends just had a mild - med. heart attack at age 46. Her prognosis is good, and I don't have all the details, but she is just a tad overweight and she has been playing 2-3 hour tennis matches plus is on an adult swim team that has just wrapped up. I'll have no idea until I visit her tomorrow if she can think of any signs, in hindsight, but I just really want all you princesses - in - training to take good care of yourselves and get yourselves checked out fully - especially DO NOT push yourself in this heat! We need all the princesses we can get!!! Send up prayers / thoughts / vibes for my friend, will ya?
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. I will keep you friend in my prayers. Please keep us posted and tell her that some princesses are send her some get well wishes.
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #948
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Welcome to all the new Princesses! I am another one anxiously counting down the days until registration. Once I spend the money it will be REAL (it will be more real once they release the race resorts so I know where I want to stay)!

Today I did something new--I got up before DH went to work and I put in 3.5 miles. Bad thing was I thought I had timed it OK but DS decided to get up early today and had DH up with him which makes me feel bad. DH doesn't mind but I am off for the summer so I am trying to not put too much on DH since this is a super busy time for him. But I LOVED the early morning run. It was so nice and so peaceful. I guess I just have to get up earlier on Friday but I think this might be my new run time.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #949
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh Amy, I am glad she is OK and that everyone, regardless of age, takes this advice.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #950
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
Your friend is definately in my prayers!!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #951
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she has a full recovery. Thank you for the reminder to be careful... it is easy to forget.
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 06-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #952
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
When I started running in March, I completed the whole C25K program outside, but then started running on a TM. The first couple of times it felt horrible, but it does get easier the more you do it. Guess we can't count on another winter like the one we had this year, huh?

As far as your daughter, personally, I think she would be fine alone in the room/resort. Sounds like a great way to spend time with your daughter. Can't wait for a girls trip when my 2 are a bit older.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof2princesses View Post
I ran on a hotel treadmill for the first time a week or so ago. It was horrible. So old and loud! The ones at my gym are nice and they do take a little to get used to. I run a little slower on the treadmill (usually 5.2 mph) whereas outside I am closer to 5.8 mph. Take it slow to start with. My dh had a harder time getting used to it too. I wouldn't worry if you are running slower on it to be safe either. The treadmill is great for hill and interval training, so if you can run outside 1X or 2X a week, use the treadmill on the other days for intervals. (thats what I do in the winter too)

I would have left my 13 year old dd alone too. She was/is very responsible and she loves her sleep. (She is 17 now). She has been to WDW every year since she was 10 and can probably navigate it blindfolded. At 13, she would have been fine in the room, sleeping in, watching tv, taking her LONG teenager shower....
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
If I had a mature and responsible 13 year old who would sleep in until 8-9, yep, I'd leave her alone. I don't know that there are official rules, but my mommy rule would be that she stay in the room and doesn't leave for anything. Make sure she has something for a light breakfast, drinks, entertainment and a way to call you if some need should arise.

Lock the door and put up the DND sign.
Thanks for all the tips on treadmills and 13 yr olds! This is very helpful.
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 06-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #953
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Sending many good thoughts, Amy!

I run Disney!
WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Old 06-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #954
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

This weekend dh and I signed up for our first half marathon. It is end of October in Danville, VA. So, I start officially training on Sunday. I plan to take the first 2 weeks to ease into it. I am using Train like a Mother as my guide and adding other stuff into it. Hoping to have a good enough time to move me up in the corrals for the princess.

Every stay safe this weekend as it looks like the heat is going to be a beast.

Prayers for your friend Amy. That is scary. I am planning on making an appt for my yearly checkup today and that is a reminder that we should all see our dr. once a year.

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #955
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Thanks, y'all, for all the thoughts and wishes for my friend. She should be moved out of ICU and into a regular room soon, then I can go visit her. She is my oldest and best friend, so this was quite a shock!

Put a review of another training plan up on the blog today - Hal Higdon's plan.

Looking at next week's forecast, I am very grateful for my 7:55 start time for the Peachtree on July 4th! I wanted to break that hour that I have been chasing, but I think that having fun and staying healthy will take precedence. I can always get that hour conquered on a flat route this fall!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR

Last edited by tinkeramy; 06-28-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #956
MaMa3Princess
I need to find the nearest Disneyaholic Anyomous meeting

Quote:

Looking at next week's forecast, I am very grateful for my 7:55 start time for the Peachtree on July 4th! I wanted to break that hour that I have been chasing, but I think that having fun and staying healthy will take precedence. I can always get that hour conquered on a flat route this fall!
I pray for healing for your friend and I too am grateful for an 8:04 start time. It is suppose to be 103 degrees on the 4th!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #957
happybaker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks, y'all, for all the thoughts and wishes for my friend. She should be moved out of ICU and into a regular room soon, then I can go visit her. She is my oldest and best friend, so this was quite a shock!

Put a review of another training plan up on the blog today - Hal Higdon's plan.

Amy,

I'm glad to hear your friend will be moved soon. I can't imagine how scary that must have been to hear for you. I will keep you both in my thoughts/prayers.

Good luck on breaking the hour on your 10K! I have my first 10K on Tuesday and I'll be happy to break 80 minutes.

Holly

PS: I've been enjoying your blog
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #958
brookiedawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I was out there Monday too...remember that commercial that was running a while back where these swimmers were at a swim meet and when the gun went off they were actaully trying to backstroke in caramel? That's exactly how I felt monday trying to get 3 miles in...the air was so thick!

I run the pathways in the Woodlands on the weekends and go to the parks after work just because it's close to work...if I drove all the way home first, I'd be more likely to park myself on the couch than to change and go out for a run! There are tons of runners out at both parks! Memorial is pretty chewed up right now because they've cleared out alot of what was killed in last year's drought...it looks really sad! And Hermann just completed a new running trail that provides alot of shade around the golf course, so now there are several options out there...it's my park of choice especially in the summer because of those fountains they have that shoot up from the ground...if I route my run through that area, I can run through the spray to cool off a bit...until we hit another drought and the city cuts off all the fountains to conserve water...that was REALLY disappointing last year! And don't forget the big hill at the Miller Outdoor Theater over at Hermann...the backside of it is very popular for runners who want some incline work.

That's great you have a running buddy to train with...you guys can help keep each other accountable!
We definitely keep each other accountable. It's difficult for her right now because she's about to get married in PA, so she's flying back and forth trying to get everything ready for the big day in August. And then she'll miss a few weeks for the wedding and honeymoon. I definitely don't expect her to run while she's doing those things. But she'd better be ready to pick it back up when she gets back to Houston, because I'll be running for those two weeks even if she's not.

Thanks for the tip about Miller Outdoor Theater! We'll have to use that as our "hill". I heard there are a few hills at the PHM, onramps and such, and we want to be prepared for those. I'm so looking forward to this race, and I just want to do well.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #959
brookiedawn
Earning My Ears

Question Maybe I don't want to be a Princess...

My running partner and I have been brainstorming for WEEKS about how we want to dress for the PHM. But I don't want to be a princess. Do people come dressed as other characters from Disney movies? Or is it mostly princesses and vilians?

Thanks y'all!
Old 06-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #960
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiedawn View Post
My running partner and I have been brainstorming for WEEKS about how we want to dress for the PHM. But I don't want to be a princess. Do people come dressed as other characters from Disney movies? Or is it mostly princesses and vilians?

Thanks y'all!
I'm not going as any particular princess. I'll be wearing a purple tutu and crown.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: