Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #931
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

If I had a mature and responsible 13 year old who would sleep in until 8-9, yep, I'd leave her alone. I don't know that there are official rules, but my mommy rule would be that she stay in the room and doesn't leave for anything. Make sure she has something for a light breakfast, drinks, entertainment and a way to call you if some need should arise.

Lock the door and put up the DND sign.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #932
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Two Questions:

1) I ran on a treadmill for the first time ever while staying in a hotel this week. Hated it! I felt like I was going to fall off and couldn't get used to adjusting the pace on the touchpad before I sped up or slowed down. I can't imagine running 8-10 miles on one. But the reality of training for a February race while living in Maine is that I will have to do some long runs on a treadmill or risk slipping on ice and snow. Does anyone have tips on training on a treadmill?

2) I'm hoping to merge a Princess Half trip and a mother-daughter trip with my oldest daughter. She will be 13 (a mature, responsible 13 - she's the mother hen of the siblings). Any thoughts on whether she can safely stay alone (and likely asleep) in our hotel room while I run the race? We'll be staying in a DVC resort - hopefully Beach Club.
When I started running in March, I completed the whole C25K program outside, but then started running on a TM. The first couple of times it felt horrible, but it does get easier the more you do it. Guess we can't count on another winter like the one we had this year, huh?

As far as your daughter, personally, I think she would be fine alone in the room/resort. Sounds like a great way to spend time with your daughter. Can't wait for a girls trip when my 2 are a bit older.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #933
hockessinmom
Earning My Ears

Sticking my pinkie toe in...

Hi All

Hope you might be able to answer a few questions from a newbie. I am thinking about signing up for the Princess 1/2 marathon. I haven't started training yet. I would like to do it with my daughter. We are both overweight but doing great on a weight loss plan. We have both lost 20 pounds and now I would like to add some great exercise to help us attain our health and weight goals. So, my questions..... I note registration is 2 weeks away. Is there a cap, meaning might it sell out quickly? Or is it just that registration opens and there are months to sign up? Second...Is it possible to actually WALK the 1/2 marathon? I know we could walk it easily but of course I worry about pacing. Third...Is it too late to start training? Has anyone used the Walk Jog Run Ipod app?

Thanks for your help. I am trying to hop off the fence on this one. We could always start with the 5K .... But, I am wondering...could we DO the Princess 1/2....it would be such a huge accomplishment!!!

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #934
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockessinmom View Post
Hi All

Hope you might be able to answer a few questions from a newbie. I am thinking about signing up for the Princess 1/2 marathon. I haven't started training yet. I would like to do it with my daughter. We are both overweight but doing great on a weight loss plan. We have both lost 20 pounds and now I would like to add some great exercise to help us attain our health and weight goals. So, my questions..... I note registration is 2 weeks away. Is there a cap, meaning might it sell out quickly? Or is it just that registration opens and there are months to sign up? Second...Is it possible to actually WALK the 1/2 marathon? I know we could walk it easily but of course I worry about pacing. Third...Is it too late to start training? Has anyone used the Walk Jog Run Ipod app?

Thanks for your help. I am trying to hop off the fence on this one. We could always start with the 5K .... But, I am wondering...could we DO the Princess 1/2....it would be such a huge accomplishment!!!

Thanks!
Welcome...you sound alot like me when I thought about doing the Princess as my first half! I wasn't a runner and really didn't think 8 months was going to be enough time for me...but a trainer/friend I had been working with assured me it was as long as I was ready and willing to make the commitment to the training. It's not too late...you can do it! I'll see if I can help you out with some of your questions...yes, there is a cap, but Princess doesn't seem to ever sell out very quickly. Once it reaches 50% full, runDisney will keep track of and post the percentage on the race website so you will be able to see where they are at with capacity...the Princesses around here are always good at keeping up with that and posting that info here too. That being said, my advice is don't wait to sign up...knowing you are registered and plunking down the non-refundable $$ is a great motivator for training. About walking...yes, you can walk it...lots of people do. As long as you can maintain the 16 minute per mile pace, you can run, walk, jog, skip, all of the above...whatever gets you across the finish line! It's definitely not too late to start training...there is still plenty of time. When I registered in July of 2010 is really when I decided to start any sort of running program...I worked myself up to being comfortable with 3 & 4 mile run/walks and then my official, structured training program for the race began 16 weeks before race day. There are tons of plans out there to follow...Jeff Galloway's plans are the one's runDisney endorses and they will even post suggested training plans on the race website eventually.

Congrats on the continued weight loss and deciding to get healthy!! Good luck with your decision

Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #935
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Welcome to the new folks we've had post (and lurk!) - registration is so close! I will echo what Cripey said that you DO have time before reg fills up, but the price goes up as it gets closer to race day. I also firmly agree that the non-refundable fee is a HUGE motivator - especially in my frugal household! There was no way I could look my DH in the eye and tell him I was quitting after plunking down over $150 bucks AND spending $100 on new shoes!

The Princess is a blast and totally do-able. You have plenty of time to train and if you train consistently - not religiously, because life happens - you will do it and finish within the time allotted.

Those of you who are getting started outside in this record heat - please don't be discouraged! If you feel you need to start now to be motivated, that's great - I don't want to hold anyone back. But be realistic and know that once fall comes and the heat breaks, you will be AMAZED at how much better you feel and perform.

Am posting a series on the blog for the next few days about different popular training plans. If you are new, or if you just need a change of pace, I hope you will check it out! Today I posted about the Galloway plan:
http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...lowalking.html

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #936
amykay9377
Prepare to be amazed beyond all expectations. After all it is what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina15 View Post
I cant wait! This feels like my first semster in college when I couldnt wait to register for classes!! What time does registration open? I want to be up and ready to register ASAP!
Has there ever been issues with the site going down?
I am reistering a friend and myself for the 2 person team, anyone know what kinda info I will need on her to register besides DOB and Shirt size?

Registration starts at Noon (est) on July 10th. THIRTEEN days from now!!!!!!

Can you tell I'm excited??

Check out my blog!
(I may need to change the name soon...)

Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #937
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Exclamation

Fellow DVC-ers, don't forget the $10 member discount on registration! The code is up on the member site, under Special Offers, so it'll be good to go come July 10.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #938
brookiedawn
Earning My Ears

Hi y'all!

I'm so happy to have found this board (thread)! A whole group of people that are as insanely excited about this run as I am! Yes, please!

I look forward to chatting with y'all.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #939
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiedawn View Post
I'm so happy to have found this board (thread)! A whole group of people that are as insanely excited about this run as I am! Yes, please!

Welcome Brooke! We're all super excited!!!

Enjoying the heat wave? I live in the Woodlands, but work on the SW side of Houston...regularly train over at Hermann Park and Memorial Park.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #940
brookiedawn
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Welcome Brooke! We're all super excited!!!

Enjoying the heat wave? I live in the Woodlands, but work on the SW side of Houston...regularly train over at Hermann Park and Memorial Park.
Really?! I'm in Atascocita/Humble area. I'll tell ya, running outside on Monday was beyond BRUTAL. I felt like I was breathing through a pillow. Yesterday we ran on the treadmill at the gym. I couldn't handle the heat again. But today, it's back outside. Wish me luck. Here's hoping I don't pass out and face plant. *lol*

We train on some running paths in my neighborhood. (We = my neighbor and I...she agreed to train and run the race with me, she's crazy!) Hopefully we'll start training some in the future at Hermann and Memorial, for a scenary change.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #941
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Welcome!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #942
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Really?! I'm in Atascocita/Humble area. I'll tell ya, running outside on Monday was beyond BRUTAL. I felt like I was breathing through a pillow. Yesterday we ran on the treadmill at the gym. I couldn't handle the heat again. But today, it's back outside. Wish me luck. Here's hoping I don't pass out and face plant. *lol*

We train on some running paths in my neighborhood. (We = my neighbor and I...she agreed to train and run the race with me, she's crazy!) Hopefully we'll start training some in the future at Hermann and Memorial, for a scenary change.
I was out there Monday too...remember that commercial that was running a while back where these swimmers were at a swim meet and when the gun went off they were actaully trying to backstroke in caramel? That's exactly how I felt monday trying to get 3 miles in...the air was so thick!

I run the pathways in the Woodlands on the weekends and go to the parks after work just because it's close to work...if I drove all the way home first, I'd be more likely to park myself on the couch than to change and go out for a run! There are tons of runners out at both parks! Memorial is pretty chewed up right now because they've cleared out alot of what was killed in last year's drought...it looks really sad! And Hermann just completed a new running trail that provides alot of shade around the golf course, so now there are several options out there...it's my park of choice especially in the summer because of those fountains they have that shoot up from the ground...if I route my run through that area, I can run through the spray to cool off a bit...until we hit another drought and the city cuts off all the fountains to conserve water...that was REALLY disappointing last year! And don't forget the big hill at the Miller Outdoor Theater over at Hermann...the backside of it is very popular for runners who want some incline work.

That's great you have a running buddy to train with...you guys can help keep each other accountable!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #943
mommyof2princesses
Being mom to 2 princessess is a lot of work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
Two Questions:

1) I ran on a treadmill for the first time ever while staying in a hotel this week. Hated it! I felt like I was going to fall off and couldn't get used to adjusting the pace on the touchpad before I sped up or slowed down. I can't imagine running 8-10 miles on one. But the reality of training for a February race while living in Maine is that I will have to do some long runs on a treadmill or risk slipping on ice and snow. Does anyone have tips on training on a treadmill?

2) I'm hoping to merge a Princess Half trip and a mother-daughter trip with my oldest daughter. She will be 13 (a mature, responsible 13 - she's the mother hen of the siblings). Any thoughts on whether she can safely stay alone (and likely asleep) in our hotel room while I run the race? We'll be staying in a DVC resort - hopefully Beach Club.
I ran on a hotel treadmill for the first time a week or so ago. It was horrible. So old and loud! The ones at my gym are nice and they do take a little to get used to. I run a little slower on the treadmill (usually 5.2 mph) whereas outside I am closer to 5.8 mph. Take it slow to start with. My dh had a harder time getting used to it too. I wouldn't worry if you are running slower on it to be safe either. The treadmill is great for hill and interval training, so if you can run outside 1X or 2X a week, use the treadmill on the other days for intervals. (thats what I do in the winter too)

I would have left my 13 year old dd alone too. She was/is very responsible and she loves her sleep. (She is 17 now). She has been to WDW every year since she was 10 and can probably navigate it blindfolded. At 13, she would have been fine in the room, sleeping in, watching tv, taking her LONG teenager shower....

2/2014 Boardwalk Girls only!12/2013 POFQ FD1/29/12 POFQ FD POP 1/11 FD! Disneyland 4/10 POFQ 9/09 FD
AKL 9/08 POFQ 9/07 FD POFQ 9/06 FDg POFQ 10/05 Kids first trip!
Off property Honeymoon Trip 12/00 Off property 4/82 My first trip!
http://myrunningshoeisaglasssliper.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #944
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Welcome to the new folks we've had post (and lurk!) - registration is so close! I will echo what Cripey said that you DO have time before reg fills up, but the price goes up as it gets closer to race day. I also firmly agree that the non-refundable fee is a HUGE motivator - especially in my frugal household! There was no way I could look my DH in the eye and tell him I was quitting after plunking down over $150 bucks AND spending $100 on new shoes!

The Princess is a blast and totally do-able. You have plenty of time to train and if you train consistently - not religiously, because life happens - you will do it and finish within the time allotted.

Those of you who are getting started outside in this record heat - please don't be discouraged! If you feel you need to start now to be motivated, that's great - I don't want to hold anyone back. But be realistic and know that once fall comes and the heat breaks, you will be AMAZED at how much better you feel and perform.

Am posting a series on the blog for the next few days about different popular training plans. If you are new, or if you just need a change of pace, I hope you will check it out! Today I posted about the Galloway plan:
http://longingforthesea.blogspot.com...lowalking.html
Amy, I need to write that on a piece of paper to stick on my wall to pull my lazy self outside in this heat. My motivation has gone completely flat in the past couple of weeks especially in the fact that, even when I do walk outside, I go soooo slowly! Thank you for that encouragement!!!! I can't let myself stop now! A silly 100 degrees can't derail this princess, right?

September is only two months away - I can make it!!!

Hello, new Princesses!

Summer, I had no idea you only started running in July 2010 - you have done so much in such a short time! I'm more impressed than ever, especially in your Texas heat.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #945
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieandroo View Post
Summer, I had no idea you only started running in July 2010 - you have done so much in such a short time! I'm more impressed than ever, especially in your Texas heat.
Thanks
Yep, it's only been 2 years since I decided to take the plunge, and I'm hooked on the bling now! Training stinks, but I love race day!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: