Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #901
FigmentMom
Earning My Ears

1st 5k

Happy Sunday!

I started running May 1st and yesterday I ran my first 5k, my goal was to finish in less than 40 mins and I ended up finishing in 32:38

The race was so much fun that I can't wait to run my next one and I am even more excited for the Princess!! Y'all have been a great inspiration to me!

There have been several posts for new Princesses wondering if they can do this, I believe that you can do anything you put your mind to, just take it slow and steady. One of my mantras as I ran yesterady was to focus on running MY race. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, just focus on what you need to do to finish. Just think about it, even if you finish dead last, you are still among only 15% of Americans that have completed a 1/2 marathon.

I hope everyone has a Happy Sunday and a great next week!! Keep on moving forward!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #902
mahipp
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigmentMom View Post
Happy Sunday!

I started running May 1st and yesterday I ran my first 5k, my goal was to finish in less than 40 mins and I ended up finishing in 32:38

The race was so much fun that I can't wait to run my next one and I am even more excited for the Princess!! Y'all have been a great inspiration to me!

There have been several posts for new Princesses wondering if they can do this, I believe that you can do anything you put your mind to, just take it slow and steady. One of my mantras as I ran yesterady was to focus on running MY race. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, just focus on what you need to do to finish. Just think about it, even if you finish dead last, you are still among only 15% of Americans that have completed a 1/2 marathon.

I hope everyone has a Happy Sunday and a great next week!! Keep on moving forward!
That's awesome! Congrats!
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #903
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Happy Sunday!

Congrats on your first 5K !!!!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #904
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Happy Sunday!

Great Job!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #905
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Happy Sunday!

Way to go! You are FAST!!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 06-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #906
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
FANTASTIC time - congratulations!!!

Quote:

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 06-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #907
Cripey
DIS Veteran

OK so who saw Brave this weekend?? Anyone else already contemplating a Brave-themed race outfit? The last couple of years, the medal's stone and lanyard color and the 5k theme have gone along with the the latest princess at the time...I wonder if 2013 will follow suit or if it will be different because it's the 5th anniversary of the race? I can't decide which I'd like better!

Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #908
WsPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
OK so who saw Brave this weekend?? Anyone else already contemplating a Brave-themed race outfit? The last couple of years, the medal's stone and lanyard color and the 5k theme have gone along with the the latest princess at the time...I wonder if 2013 will follow suit or if it will be different because it's the 5th anniversary of the race? I can't decide which I'd like better!
I am hoping for something different for the 5th but mostly because I am afraid the Brave colors will be so dark though it is Disney so I am sure it will be amazing and beautiful so honestly I don't care, I just can't wait for the bling!!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #909
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WsPrincess View Post
I am hoping for something different for the 5th but mostly because I am afraid the Brave colors will be so dark though it is Disney so I am sure it will be amazing and beautiful so honestly I don't care, I just can't wait for the bling!!
I thought maybe a nice shade of orange for her hair would be pretty...but I don't know if they've used orange yet...or even a teal color like the dress she wore in the move would be pretty. Who knows...I look forward to seeing what they do though!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #910
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought maybe a nice shade of orange for her hair would be pretty...but I don't know if they've used orange yet...or even a teal color like the dress she wore in the move would be pretty. Who knows...I look forward to seeing what they do though!
Must admit - I am already considering her in my rotation of which princess I want to be next year! I have somewhat curly hair, and I thought if I get some of that spray-on color and those squishy rollers that you can wind up really tight while you sleep....hey, it's an option!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #911
Gina15
Earning My Ears

Hello, Im planning to run Princess 2013 as my first half. Never been to this page before and I am loving all the info.

I wanted to know if anyone has some advice on running faster.. I am deathly afraid of being swept. I've been running for 6 months and just reached 5 miles with out stopping yesterday.. But I run soo slow. Around 17 min miles. My best pace was 14.44 and I have had a 45 min 5k time once. I've lost 70lbs and have about another 70 to go at least. Any advice you can offer would be amazing.

Thanks to everyone for posting!

-Gina - howtotrainaprincess.blogspot.com

Last edited by Gina15; 06-25-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #912
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I saw it with my boys and they LOVED it! My fiery red-headed son declared that I must be on Team Merida for the PHM!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #913
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Have not seen the movie yet....but at any point did she wear a tiara?

I am SO looking forward to wearing one at this race since I don't do anything special for the DL 1/2, and the Tinker Bell 1/2 is all about green and wearing wings. I plan on running this race wearing a tiara on my head !!!! Finally this princess can put her tiara on and run.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 AM   #914
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD View Post
Have not seen the movie yet....but at any point did she wear a tiara?

I am SO looking forward to wearing one at this race since I don't do anything special for the DL 1/2, and the Tinker Bell 1/2 is all about green and wearing wings. I plan on running this race wearing a tiara on my head !!!! Finally this princess can put her tiara on and run.
I thought about that too she doesn't wear one but her mom, the queen, does wear a fairly simple one...and I suppose since she's the princess you can assume it will be hers at some point, right?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #915
TinyDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Happy Sunday!

I know I already commented on fb, but I wanted to here also.. great job!! THat is SUCH an awesome time! Some of my friends that have been running for YEARS have a 32 min 5k PR! You are doing great!

Quote:
I saw Brave. It is my new favorite Disney movie!!! I LOVED it!! I'm NOT going to dress like Merida, but I bet a lot of people will! It was an amazing movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina15 View Post
Hello, Im planning to run Princess 2013 as my first half. Never been to this page before and I am loving all the info.

I wanted to know if anyone has some advice on running faster.. I am deathly afraid of being swept. I've been running for 6 months and just reached 5 miles with out stopping yesterday.. But I run soo slow. Around 17 min miles. My best pace was 14.44 and I have had a 45 min 5k time once. I've lost 70lbs and have about another 70 to go at least. Any advice you can offer would be amazing.

Thanks to everyone for posting!

-Gina - howtotrainaprincess.blogspot.com
First of all, congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome that you can run for 5 miles without stopping! Not many people can do that. How many times a week do you run? Are you crosstraining any? Biking or swimming?
It's hard to run fast during the summer, with the heat. I think if you just consistently train, you will see your time go down when fall rolls around.
If you are really concerned with your speed right now, get to the track and do some speed work. I'm doing speed work tonight. I'll warm up (800 jog/walk) and then I'm running mile intervals. I'll run my first mile the slowest, stop, get a drink, get my breath.. then run the next. I'm doing this four times. It's tough, but it works!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: