Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #841
mindystar
DIS Veteran

I'm planning on running the PHM in 2013!! Okay, right now walking it seems a bit daunting, but hoping to be walking and running some
I just finished reading this whole thread while I was covering the overnight shift last night/this morning. Love the support of this thread and that there are all kinds of great ladies in on this together! I plan on running with my younger sister, for her 30th b-day. Leave it to WDW to be the reason we'd do a half marathon!! Cause otherwise, I'm thinking I would not be doing any type of racing
I don't have that popular name , I'm not a dancer, I've never run/walk in a race (unless you count elementary school ), at this point I'm not a runner (but would like to be one day), I am not petite (either in height or weight), and I have just started walking again (after a loooong break from regular exercise). So my goal for the PHM is to 1)finish and 2)be able to run a little of it as well! Right now I just started the JG Conditioning, but just doing walking. Then I may do it over again, but add in the running after the first eight weeks are over. That way I can build up some stamina for his PHM training
I jotted down the websites and blogs mentioned here and plan to look them up in this next week. They look like they will be great inspiration and full of helpful advice and ideas! So glad to be here!!!
1993-CR1996-Poly1997-Offsite1999-CR2002-AKL/Poly 2005-CR Feb 2006 PolyJune 2006-Sister's DFTW Custom Wedding (GF/CR)April 2007-PORDec 2007-Coronado2008-PolyMarch 2009-POR 30 B-day!May/June 2009-Family Vacation -GFJune 2010-CR May/June 2012-Family Vacation-PolyFeb 2013-Princess Half Marathon-POFQ December 2013-Pop Century
Old 06-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #842
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

I feel so BLAH right now--we've been on vacation this week (which really isn't so relaxing with a 2 yo and a 5yo), which means we've been eating crap, not drinking enough water, and I haven't gotten in any workouts since Tuesday. Supposed to do my "long" run of 4 miles tomorrow and I know it's going to be a bit of a challenge after being off so many days.

I have a 1/2 marathon in Sept and we are planning to be away again in August, so I know I need to have a plan in place to keep up with my training schedule during vacation. Any tips for staying on track when on vacation?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #843
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I'm glad to know it works to keep in some walk intervals even if not using the Gallaway. Right now I can go much further (and finish happier) with some walk intervals... and it doesn't seem to drag my pace down much.
Yeah - as long as you get the other plans' miles in, you can tinker around with the intervals all you want. I actually just started stretching mine - today I did 2 miles before a one minute walk break and I was surprised at how well it went - I was in a running zone and it was good just to keep going. Nice to know I have the stamina if I need it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanna View Post
I just finished my first 5K this morning. There were a couple moments there where I was asking myself "can I really do this?". But I finished!! And with a little more than a 15 minute pace.

Now it's time to start training for the half marathon at the end of september!
Great job! If you are close to 15 min. now, you will be fine by the time the Princess comes around if you just stick to your training. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindystar View Post
I'm planning on running the PHM in 2013!! Okay, right now walking it seems a bit daunting, but hoping to be walking and running some
I just finished reading this whole thread while I was covering the overnight shift last night/this morning. Love the support of this thread and that there are all kinds of great ladies in on this together! I plan on running with my younger sister, for her 30th b-day. Leave it to WDW to be the reason we'd do a half marathon!! Cause otherwise, I'm thinking I would not be doing any type of racing
I don't have that popular name , I'm not a dancer, I've never run/walk in a race (unless you count elementary school ), at this point I'm not a runner (but would like to be one day), I am not petite (either in height or weight), and I have just started walking again (after a loooong break from regular exercise). So my goal for the PHM is to 1)finish and 2)be able to run a little of it as well! Right now I just started the JG Conditioning, but just doing walking. Then I may do it over again, but add in the running after the first eight weeks are over. That way I can build up some stamina for his PHM training
I jotted down the websites and blogs mentioned here and plan to look them up in this next week. They look like they will be great inspiration and full of helpful advice and ideas! So glad to be here!!!
Welcome! I think you have plenty of time. I started running June / July 2 years ago and I did both an absolute beginner plan plus a regular beginner half marathon plan by the time of the Princess. You can definitely do run / walk, even in 30 second intervals. The Princess is SO MUCH fun and a great goal!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #844
annabanna
Mouseketeer

The thing I loved about the race today, and the thing that makes me look forward to the PHM even more, is how nice everyone was today. A total stranger (an elite runner) who finished way ahead me, actually came back and ran the last 500 or so yards with me encouraging me and cheering me on the whole way. It was really awesome!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #845
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Yay! I figured out the multiquote function!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runmommyrun View Post
I firmly agree that your goals are realistic. You would be surprised how quickly your body adapts once you start training. My words of advice: TAKE IT SLOW. Work up to walking a mile. Then jog a tenth of the mile and walk the rest. Then extend that a bit. You will be able to do a 5k within a couple of months. Then you gradually extend it. Hal Higdon has GREAT plans online for the REALISTIC runners. The goal is to cross the finish line. You may not win your age group, but who cares?! This is about having fun and doing something for ourselves! You can definitely go from non-runner to running a half in 8 months. And THERE IS NO SHAME in run/walking. There have been races I could only finish if I did the run/walk combo (Disney Marathon being one of them!). If you love Disney, you should do a runDisney race. They are some of the best around. Best of luck. We will all be there to cheer one another along!
Thank you so much for the encouragement! My plan is definitely just to finish, and I'll be happy even if I walk the whole thing. We both love Disney, so now my mantra is "Will walk for Disney!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niclodn View Post
You can definitely do this! When I first started running about 5 months ago, I could barely run for 30 seconds and was huffing and puffing the entire time. Since then, I've lost 30 pounds and am now doing 3 min run/1 min walk intervals on the treadmill (13.5 min/mile) and 30 sec run/30 sec walk intervals outside (14.5 min/mile). I still have about 60 pounds to lose, but have seen a tremendous increase in my endurance! In the beginning, it was all I could do to run/walk for 2 miles -- it seemed like an eternity. Now, I do about 4 miles at least 3 times a week with a longer one once a week and don't feel like I'm about to die when I'm done! Once you get your endurance up to 3 miles, I highly recommend Jeff Galloway's training plan. It has worked wonders for me
Congratulations on your progress! It gives me hope
Old 06-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #846
louloubelle84
Earning My Ears

Congrats Anna!

Welcome Mindy!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:19 PM   #847
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

I did a 5K this morning and PR with 33:58. I was running with a friend and for about the first 2 miles we were just under a 10 minute mile!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #848
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
I did a 5K this morning and PR with 33:58. I was running with a friend and for about the first 2 miles we were just under a 10 minute mile!
Way to go!
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #849
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Quote:
The thing I loved about the race today, and the thing that makes me look forward to the PHM even more, is how nice everyone was today. A total stranger (an elite runner) who finished way ahead me, actually came back and ran the last 500 or so yards with me encouraging me and cheering me on the whole way. It was really awesome!
I know, right? Before I became a runner I had a misconception about runners, thinking they would be rude or something. I have found the running community to be very welcoming and encouraging!

Tower of Terror Inaugural 10-Miler I like it HOT HOT HOT 2:10.08

Princess Half Marathon 2012 I DID IT!!! 2:58.06
Old 06-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #850
annabanna
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post
I know, right? Before I became a runner I had a misconception about runners, thinking they would be rude or something. I have found the running community to be very welcoming and encouraging!
It's so awesome! I compete with horses and that can be a very cut-throat, nasty group of people. It's really refreshing to do a sport where people are friendly and helpful!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #851
mahipp
Mouseketeer

36 weeks y'all!

http://fromthepagetotheprincess.weeb...-36-weeks.html
Old 06-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #852
debbieandroo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just finished my first 5K this morning. There were a couple moments there where I was asking myself "can I really do this?". But I finished!! And with a little more than a 15 minute pace.

Now it's time to start training for the half marathon at the end of september!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! What is it about those 3 miles in a 5K that seem so much longer than normal???!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
Great job getting out there today. Don't give up, just keep moving
When I started in Dec 2009 I could not even do a mile, my friends here on Dis will tell you that when they were posting doing 4, 5, 6 miles, I was like no way can I get past 2. I weighed over 200 pounds. I am down about 30-35 pounds and its been 2 years, I still have 20 to go to goal. BUT I have done the princess twice, many 5 and 10K's and I just did a 10 mile race a few weeks ago..
Thank you so much for posting this - it was really encouraging to read about life on the 'other side' of all this training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyDivas View Post
Hi all! I'm seriously considering the Princess Half in 2013 (a friend did it in 2010 & loved it!!) - I've done 2 half marathons (my 3rd is in November) & would LOVE to Run Disney! I just have to talk DH into a mini-Disney trip for the race. We've always stayed on property (Pop, All Star Sports & POR) but I have no idea what kind of price range I would be looking at for a 3-4 day trip for this... any suggestions? We've always gone to WDW in September during free dining...We're going this September (POR!) but I'm hoping DH will let the Princess Half be my graduation celebration - I'll finally have my degree in December after 8 years of part time classes (with work & 3 kids!)!!
:WELCOME: And early congratulations on your graduation. The accomplishments that take the longest seem to be the sweetest, don't they?

Quote:
to you, too! Lots of new princesses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
That's a terrific time - woo hoo!!!!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #853
magickingdom
disney daydreamer

Hello everyone!! I am mindystar's little sister and will be doing the Princess 1/2 marathon 2013 for my 30th birthday. I am excited to get back in shape and be a healthy role model for my 3 young daughters! I have started a blog about my journey @ runningmykingdom.blogspot.com

Old 06-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #854
Mommy to Two Princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Welcome aboard! So glad you are here!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #855
Cripey
DIS Veteran

When-o-when do we get to find out what the host resorts will be? I've got my hotel and registration all finished for the Tink half so I'm dying to get going on Princess planning! Who's with me?

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: