Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #3541
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Anyone looking for a bargain?

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/holi...day+gift+cards

20% off gift cards at running warehouse!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #3542
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Anyone looking for a bargain?

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/holi...day+gift+cards

20% off gift cards at running warehouse!
Thanks so much for posting this !!! I love RW and it seems like I'm ordering something from them weekly.
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #3543
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
What part of your hip was pinching that you were able to find a stretch for? Mine kills me sometimes on the inside though...I imagine its somewhere in the area where the hip and the pelvis meet in the front. One step, and out of no where BAM! Takes my breath away it hurts so bad. If your was the same area, could you share what stretches you do for it or point me to a website that might illustrate some? I can't seem to figure out any that work. My trainer has recommended myofacia release massage a few times....I think that was what it was called....but the lady she recommends is really expensive, way far away from me, and has availability that doesn't mesh well with mine, so I haven't tried it yet.
Mine is in a similar spot. It almost feels like a pinched nerve and it'll come out of no where. It lasted 4 days before I looked into stretches for it, it was affecting every day walking AND laying down for bed. Not okay! But, yeah absolutely I'll share what I do! I'll try directions and see if I find photos. They are basic and you may already be doing them though... The first two I always do is the butterfly stretch, I push down on my knees and lean as far forward as I can. Then from the butterfly like.. when you have one leg still tucked in and the other stretched out? You lean into your foot pointed outwards and then also turn away by using the bent leg and place your hands on your knee and turn. Make sure to hold those for the same amount of time. The last one is placing yourself in an almost push up position (face facing floor) fully extending the leg on the side of the pain (like for me it's the right hip so right leg) and tucking the opposite leg up and into your chest and lean forward and push your hips down but not touching the floor. I also switch legs because when I tuck in my right leg it feels good on my hip.

This is the second stretch because my directs are probably batty haha
http://img.ehowcdn.com/article-new/e...rs-800x800.jpg
The last stretch kind of looks like this, I just tuck the leg up further into my chest http://www.drbackman.com/yoga-hip-sma.jpg
This was recommended to me, but it didn't help me too much. I figure it doesn't hurt to try it though, maybe it'll help you! http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness...FlexStrFin.gif

I've found stretching after a run is way more effective too. I hope at least one of these you haven't tried and helps you as well. I wish you luck!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #3544
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07

Mine is in a similar spot. It almost feels like a pinched nerve and it'll come out of no where. It lasted 4 days before I looked into stretches for it, it was affecting every day walking AND laying down for bed. Not okay! But, yeah absolutely I'll share what I do! I'll try directions and see if I find photos. They are basic and you may already be doing them though... The first two I always do is the butterfly stretch, I push down on my knees and lean as far forward as I can. Then from the butterfly like.. when you have one leg still tucked in and the other stretched out? You lean into your foot pointed outwards and then also turn away by using the bent leg and place your hands on your knee and turn. Make sure to hold those for the same amount of time. The last one is placing yourself in an almost push up position (face facing floor) fully extending the leg on the side of the pain (like for me it's the right hip so right leg) and tucking the opposite leg up and into your chest and lean forward and push your hips down but not touching the floor. I also switch legs because when I tuck in my right leg it feels good on my hip.

The last stretch kind of looks like this, I just tuck the leg up further into my chest http://www.drbackman.com/yoga-hip-sma.jpg
This was recommended to me, but it didn't help me too much. I figure it doesn't hurt to try it though, maybe it'll help you! http://www.easyvigour.net.nz/fitness...FlexStrFin.gif

I've found stretching after a run is way more effective too. I hope at least one of these you haven't tried and helps you as well. I wish you luck!
Thanks so much...your directions were great!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #3545
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy0519 View Post
Please, please don't ignore this! Go see your doctor and figure out what is going on. Your body is screaming and you will only compound your injury if you don't listen to it.

I wonder if I had gone when I first felt pain if I could have prevented the fracture that I now have. I was pretty much unable to walk without limping, for a week, and continued to think it was a pulled muscle and even went to the gym and ran three times!

Best of luck working through what is going on. I hope you find that a little backing off and rest will do the trick
Thanks. I have been trying to stay off it for the last few days and haven't run in a week. It feels better once I've been moving for a few mins but when I first stand up I literally cannot put my full weight on it. Have to hold on to something and it takes my breath away. Guess to the doctor I go.

Thanks for the kick in the tutu to do what I already knew but didn't want to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Haha I'm glad my personal lingo is of some entertainment for you guys ! I thought that was sad that people in Canada couldn't enter to win... I think that's lame! I guess maybe they didn't want to pay for an international flight...?? Regardless, boo! No fair! If any of us win, I'm sure you can come visit in the suite

Is the hip pain you have a pinching pain? I was having that with my right hip when I was running, I was gimping around whenever I walked. I looked up stretches to figure out if that may help. I stretch my hip EVERY time I run now. Before a little, and after a LOT. It definitely has helped and worked for me.. But I agree with the cindy0519, don't ignore your body! You don't want to further damage anything
Not really a pinching pain....well maybe actually....not really sure how to describe it but its deep inside. Almost feels like the bone is about to snap where it goes into the hip socket even though I know its not. It is a sharp pain. I'm going to try the stretches you posted. Thanks for putting those up!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #3546
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2

Thanks. I have been trying to stay off it for the last few days and haven't run in a week. It feels better once I've been moving for a few mins but when I first stand up I literally cannot put my full weight on it. Have to hold on to something and it takes my breath away. Guess to the doctor I go.

Thanks for the kick in the tutu to do what I already knew but didn't want to admit.

Not really a pinching pain....well maybe actually....not really sure how to describe it but its deep inside. Almost feels like the bone is about to snap where it goes into the hip socket even though I know its not. It is a sharp pain. I'm going to try the stretches you posted. Thanks for putting those up!
That's EXACTLY how mine feels....I've sworn up and down its not muscular, it just doesnt feel like a muscle pain to me, but I've been to orthopedic dr. And they find no evidence of any bone issues in the area....I've actually been dealing with it for years, even when i wasn't running, and bad hips/hip replacements run in my family on my dads side. I always assumed it was early signs of that, but not from what any scans/X-rays see...which is good, but it still hurts! It's frustrating...and what's weird is it will just flare up whenever...no rhyme or reason. Running or lots of walking definitely makes it flare up, but then again sometimes it won't. I just never know if I'm gonna be hobbling or not from one day to the next!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #3547
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's EXACTLY how mine feels....I've sworn up and down its not muscular, it just doesnt feel like a muscle pain to me, but I've been to orthopedic dr. And they find no evidence of any bone issues in the area....I've actually been dealing with it for years, even when i wasn't running, and bad hips/hip replacements run in my family on my dads side. I always assumed it was early signs of that, but not from what any scans/X-rays see...which is good, but it still hurts! It's frustrating...and what's weird is it will just flare up whenever...no rhyme or reason. Running or lots of walking definitely makes it flare up, but then again sometimes it won't. I just never know if I'm gonna be hobbling or not from one day to the next!

Sorry to hear you're dealing with it to although I'll be a bad online friend and admit that I'm glad I'm not the only one with this mystery ailment!

Let me know if you figure anything out about it.

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 11-13-2012, 11:45 PM   #3548
LifeisCrazyGood
Newbie!!

Fluffy, first-timer - can I get ready for the Disney Princess Half in time??

Hi, ladies!

I'm so excited to find this thread! I registered today for the Disney Princess Half!!

I'll cut to the chase: I'm fluffy to the tune of about 50 pounds, average fitness level, and this is my first ever race!

Is this possible?? Can I do this??

I started the Jeff Galloway training program, and I can fairly easily run/walk the first few sessions of Week 1. But I only have 14 weeks to get ready. I'm not a runner...but REALLY want to be!

Can you ladies give me some advice? I REALLY want to do this!
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #3549
VickiHD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeisCrazyGood View Post
Hi, ladies!

I'm so excited to find this thread! I registered today for the Disney Princess Half!!

I'll cut to the chase: I'm fluffy to the tune of about 50 pounds, average fitness level, and this is my first ever race!

I started the Jeff Galloway training program, and I can fairly easily run/walk the first few sessions of Week 1. But I only have 14 weeks to get ready. I'm not a runner...but REALLY want to be!

Welcome I follow Jeff Galloways training programs and find that they work for me. You can do this ! You have 14 weeks to train and prepare for the big day. With the holidays coming up I think for all of us consistency will be the key. Besides training the other important issue is to figure out what to wear; tiara, tutu, or ?
Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #3550
the_princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post

I have had hip pains for a while now and haven't been able to run for a month so I'm going to try these to see if they help.

MY DISNEY PICTURES
:
Holiday time at DL Tour Dec'13: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3210059

WDW & WWOHP Dec '11: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#26.0

WDW & SW Feb '13: http://billeder.stepher.dk/#30.0

MY DISNEY VISITS:
July '03-DLP Dec '03-DLP NPBC Sep '04-DLP SL Sep '05-DLP HNY Mar '07-WDW Offside Dec '07-DLP SF Feb '08-DLP SL Oct '08-WDW Renaissance Resort SeaWorld, AKL & POR May '09-DLP SL Dec '09-DLP HNY July '10-DLR DLH Feb '11-DLP DLH Dec'11-WDW POR August'12-DLP.Jan'13-DLP Chyenne Feb'13-WDW PORDec'13-DL OffsiteDec'14-DLP SL
Old 11-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #3551
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
Quote:
Pinching is the only way I could think to describe it! But I feel like it's in my socket too. I actually asked my friend if he knew how to pop hips back into place because it felt like it was dislocated and ~disrupting the environment~. He said he didn't feel comfortable trying (he cracks backs, thought I would give it a try). My other friend recommended a chiropractor but I just don't have the time to do that right now with school. But walking was unbearable for the few days before I started stretching. It makes me feel better I'm not alone, but bad at the same time. Sorry girls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_princess View Post
I have had hip pains for a while now and haven't been able to run for a month so I'm going to try these to see if they help.
I really hope they help for all you girls!! I'm sending my best wishes and cheers for y'all work them hips!!

Quote:
Hi, ladies!

Just stick to a plan and you'll do fine! I come on here for motivation and encouragement. I'm so glad I found this thread too, it makes the PHM more exciting for me! So welcome!!

Last edited by bskelly07; 11-14-2012 at 03:35 AM. Reason: adding a word
Old 11-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #3552
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiHD

Welcome I follow Jeff Galloways training programs and find that they work for me. You can do this ! You have 14 weeks to train and prepare for the big day. With the holidays coming up I think for all of us consistency will be the key. Besides training the other important issue is to figure out what to wear; tiara, tutu, or ?
Hal Higdon has a 12 week program you can follow also

Just repeat a couple of weeks since you have 14 weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
Old 11-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #3553
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Hip pain: could be bursitis. I had a hip issue plus ITB. PT said she thought bursitis was reason for the pain in hip joint area. Pinching deep inside is how I'd describe it too

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 11-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #3554
cindy0519
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE="kindakrazy2"]

[\QUOTE]

This all sounds very familiar as I have done the same. Love the kick in the tutu comment! Sure is hard to admit that we need to give up and just go to the doctor -not sure why that is but it certainly is!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #3555
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Hi, ladies!

So you've done the first few sessions of week 1 of a half marathon training plan? Sounds like you're a runner to me!

If you follow the training plan closely (okay to miss a weekday run here and there but do all the long runs and generally stick with the program) and you're able to train for a 15 minute mile, you can TOTALLY do this! Lots of princesses of varying degrees of fluffiness and non-fluffiness have finished this race. You are giving yourself time to train and you're motivated: sounds like a winning combo to me!

Cate
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: